Helium Backup offers some great features for those wanting to backup their Android devices. Here are some of the features:
- Most communication data can be backed up and stored with Helium Backup. This means that your contacts, which are a pain to replace, will be saved and you will be able to access this information if your lose or destroy your Android device. SMS messages and and call logs are also backed up. Reports, known as read logs, are saved as well because they contain information about debugging.
- There is a scheduling option available. This allows users to schedule (Whether automatic or pre-determined dates) when backup services will begin. You can also set it up so that scheduled backups only happen when the Android device is connected to Wi-Fi.
- Helium Backup offers a free version of their services.
Helium Backup does have a few areas that could use improvement:
- Helium is not compatible with all Android devices. It has been noted that Helium does not work on Motorola devices because their phones have a bug that break Android’s backup mechanism. Users who have Sony Android devices have also experienced problems (this also applies to Xperia S and Xperia Z because Sony has disabled backup abilities on this device completely).
- The free version of the Helium app does not allow users to backup to a Cloud service. This somewhat defeats the purpose of a backup service. Since you can’t backup your data to the cloud, you will have to manually backup and restore using an SD card or PC. Users who purchase the premium version do have access to Dropbox, Box, and Google Drive, but there is a $4.99 fee.
- The installation process is a little bit more difficult for users who have not rooted their Android device. If your phone has been rooted, it is as easy as pushing a button, but there are additional steps for non-rooted devices.
- Backup & Restore – Save & Backup Data From a PC
- Backup & Restore – Save & Backup Data to the SD Card
- Rooting is Preferred – Not Required
- Cloud Storage Available – For Backup Data
- Sync Application Data – From Other Android Devices
- Set Up Backup Schedules – Custom to Any Schedule
The Helium Premium version has all the same features found on the free version, but also includes the following:
- Android to Android Sync – Sync Data Easily From Different Android Phones
- Automatic Backup Schedules – Set Backup Schedules Custom to Preferences
- Cloud Backup & Restore – Dropbox, Box, and Google Drive
- No Ads – Less Clutter, With Added Features
- Helium Backup is Not Compatible With:
- Motorola Devices
- Sony Devices
- Helium Backup Compatible With:
- Xperia S
- Xperia Z
*Backup Available For Non-Rooted Androids, Although This Requires More Time & Added Steps to Complete During Initial Install.
Items Available for Backup/Restore:
- Accounts – Includes Email Users & Other Log-ins
- Contacts – Includes Phone, Email, & Misc Contact Information
- Phone State – Or Device
- Read Logs – Protect Data Even After it’s Read.
- SMS Messages – Text/Instant Messages
- Wi-Fi – Wireless Data is Protected With Backup
- Last Updated: December 24, 2013
- Size: 4.8M
- Installs: 500,000-1,000,000
- Current Version: 220.127.116.11
- Requires: Android 4.0 and up