Lakeside-Milam Logo
1 User Review
LAST UPDATED: January 23rd, 2020
Founded in 1983 in the Pacific Northwest, Lakeside-Milam Recovery Centers provide patients with alcohol abuse treatment. Lakeside-Milam Recovery Centers are CARF accredited and certified by the National Association of Addiction Treatment Centers. Inpatient facilities are located in Kirkland (Adults) and Burien (Young Adults), Washington, where patients are able to recover in the greater Seattle area, with numerous additional outpatient facilities along the Pacific coastline. Lakeside-Milam Recovery Centers offer traditional residential inpatient treatment as well as intervention services, family programs, outpatient treatment, employer, medical, and legal support services.

Addiction Center Logo
Addiction Center chevron_right
0.0
star_border star_border star_border star_border star_border
Elements Behavioral Health Logo
Elements Behavioral Health chevron_right
0.0
star_border star_border star_border star_border star_border

The Good

• A history of success
  • A plan for each patient
  • Comprehensive ongoing care

A History of Success

Lakeside-Milam Recovery Centers have treated over 100,000 individuals with alcohol addiction, and according to patient followup surveys, 90% of their alumni would refer a family member or friend to the facility. It would be nice to see more detailed, printed information from their followup surveys, but with over 30 years of experience treating alcohol abuse patients in the greater Seattle area, their commitment to the region cannot be understated. They are also the largest alcohol treatment facility in the Pacific Northwest, with programs offered in Alaska as well as Seattle.

A Plan for Each Patient

The healthcare professionals at Lakeside-Milam Recovery Centers are focused on discovering the specific, underlying causes of a person's alcohol addiction/dependency. Because of this, they seek to create a plan for each patient that is unique and personalized to best treat that patient. And while every patient is encouraged to participate in aspects of the 12-step program, additional counseling and treatment protocol is assessed and provided during the length of a patient's treatment.

Comprehensive Ongoing Care

With numerous treatment options available, patients are able to address their alcohol addiction from many vantage points. The treatment regimen assigned to a patient will be different case-by-case, and that regimen is constructed using a combination of inpatient treatment methods. At the end of the inpatient program, the patient and his or her counselor will meet to plot out the early recovery needs. During this time, goals will be set and tools provided to ensure lasting sobriety. But in addition to this planning, Lakeside-Milam Recovery Centers also provides educational and family programs for patients to utilize during post-facility recovery. This aftercare is facilitated by the numerous outpatient treatment centers operated by Lakeside-Milam Recovery Centers all over the greater Seattle area.

The Bad

• Lack of insurance information
  • Lack of patient testimonials
  • No program pricing information

Lack of Insurance Information

Lakeside-Milam Recovery Centers provides no information about insurance coverage on their website or other provided online materials. With licenses from the Washington State Department of Health and Department of Social and Health Services, and with its CARF accreditation and affiliation with the National Association of Alcohol and Addiction Treatment Centers, one would assume that most insurance plans would be accepted.

Lack of Patient Testimonials

Another void of information provided by Lakeside-Milam Recovery Centers is a patient testimonial section. The closest presentation of patient satisfaction at Lakeside-Milam Recovery Centers is claim that 90% of alumni would refer a friend or family member to Lakeside-Milam. This provides an unsubstantiated claim, which is probably true, but if elaborated on would provide much greater insight into the patient experience and efficacy of the facility's alcohol abuse treatment ability.

No Program Pricing Information

One of the main claims by Lakeside-Milam Recovery Centers is that they offer effective, affordable alcohol treatment. There is a glaring lack of published information on the affordability of their treatment, with no pricing listed or comparisons to other treatment center pricing. This, hand-in-hand with the void of printed insurance information, makes no attempt at providing a prospective patient with program transparency.

The Bottom Line

With over 30 years of operating experience in the Pacific Northwest, Lakeside-Milam Recovery Centers provide the greater Seattle area with accessible, inpatient and outpatient alcohol addiction treatment. But their claim of effective, affordable treatment is not substantiated with information about insurance coverage, the patient experience, or detailed alumni survey statistics. And while the treatment facility appears to be a great option for many patients, the lack of published information leads a lot of questions unanswered.

1.0

JESSICA SORENSEN Everett, WA

I utilized Lakeside Milam’s adolescent inpatient treatment and intensive outpatient programs in 2008. I was a dependent under my father’s insurance, and I assume that helped pay for a portion of my treatment programs (I was 16; not privy to these matters) but I know my father had to pay a large amount out of pocket. When I was ultimately kicked out of the outpatient program for relapsing, the billing told him he had to pay for the entirety of the program as if I had completed it all in one lump sum because I broke a sobriety contract. My father is a very responsible man and he has maintained perfect credit for all his life, at least, that’s the reason he gave me when I asked why he would possibly agree to paying $22,000. But he did, and his business went bankrupt shortly after (it was also the year of the recession.) Lakeside tricked my father into paying nearly a quarter of a million for a service we never received, because they manipulated him with fear tactics during a nationwide financial crisis. And their unethical behavior runs much deeper: unbeknownst to my 16 year old scope of understanding, I signed a contract saying that I would not use drugs or alcohol while participating in their program, as they had zero tolerance for relapse. The consequence of a first time offense was harsher treatment (they moved me from regular outpatient to intensive outpatient) and the second offense is a no-questions-asked expulsion. Which is exactly what they did to me when they gave me a second UA on my first day of the new group - just two days after my first UA, mind you - it came back dirty but I hadn’t used again. That’s because the same drug was still in my system from prior use. They should know this as recovery specialists (and I’m sure they do) which means they also tricked me into expulsion from the program. Apparently there was a clause in that contract I signed (as a minor) that said the billing info on my file would be fined for the remainder of the payment they should have received if I had completed the program (THEY SUDDENLY CLAIMED I WAS OBLIGATED TO FULFILL TWO FULL YEARS OF OUTPATIENT SERVICES, INCLUDED IN THE $22,000 MY FATHER PAID THEM.) And remember, insurance even paid for a portion of it! It was a racquet. Did I mention that the inpatient AND outpatient services were entered into completely voluntarily? There was no court order, no obligation to complete any treatment at all; the only legally binding agreement was the one Lakeside created themselves. Allegedly. Nearly a decade later, I was referred to Lakeside Milam’s adult intensive outpatient program by Luminance Recovery, a Californian rehab I went to in 2017. This was also a voluntary commitment and had no court or legal obligation backing it whatsoever. I was able to use my mom’s insurance to pay for the outpatient program in full, and THANK GOD because it was billed by the hour and the classes were five days a week, three hours each day. 15 hours each week is basically a part time job! So ridiculous; I’ve been to so many outpatients but I have never before and still never seen any other that forced patients to acquire so many hours. And to be honest, the classes were a joke. The teachers were brain fried old ladies who talked more about their cats and their glory days than we ever talked about recovery. It was funny at the time; in hindsight, it’s revolting. I completed the intensive outpatient, and eventually moved on to the lesser intense program, but not before my moms insurance dropped me from their network! Of course Lakeside didn’t inform me of this for two whole months while I was still taking their classes for 15 hours a week, racking up thousands of dollars in unpaid fees. When she handed me a bill upwards of two grand I nearly quit right then, but I was dedicated to my recovery and the management convinced me that it was worth it to stay sober. Again, they used emotional blackmail to con me into paying an obscene amount of money, out of my own pocket. 25 years old, freshly sober, single mom, full time student, participating in two part time unpaid internships, financial aid was my only income and that was less than $1,000 a month... and they were telling me that I had to pay $56 per class. That’s over $250 a week. That’s more than I was getting in financial aid. I ended up paying a lot of it but I am still in debt to them god only knows how much. The craziest part? It turns out that any bills concerning rehab, detox, and outpatient will never get sent to collections and therefore never affect your credit score or filing status. The entire time neither my father nor I should have paid a cent to these scam artists. DO NOT PROVIDE THESE PEOPLE WITH ANOTHER CENT OF YOUR MONEY! If they threaten you, complain to the BBB. If they take automatic payments, complain to the BBB. If they call you incessantly, change your number. But just know that you honestly NEVER have to pay any rehabilitation institution for services.