Hope by the Sea is a CARF (Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities) accredited addiction treatment center that can be utilized by drug and alcohol addicts alike. Located in scenic southern California near the beach, this facility first opened its doors in 2003. What started out as a 6-bed facility has now grown into a 57-bed facility that treats hundreds of clients each year. This center is versatile in its approach, offering flexible treatment options at an affordable price. Furthermore, their treatment extends beyond initial treatment through a variety of aftercare options that reinforce recovery efforts and equip clients with skills to help them be successful in all other areas of life.
There are a lot of positives here. Among those are:
- Versatility and flexibility. This center is not a factory that simply runs every client through the exact same program. They offer several variations to their treatments. A few of their treatments options include:
- Standard Residential Program. Their most commonly utilized inpatient program can be done over 30, 60, or 90 days—as can the other options. Following detox—which can range from a few days to a few weeks—for those who need it, clients participate in individual and group therapy sessions, learn about and apply the 12-step recovery program, and have time for rest, relaxation, and healing.
- Christian Rehab. This variation to the residential program incorporates a Christ-centered approach to recovery. Clients have an opportunity to attend daily devotionals, as well as addiction recovery meetings at nearby Saddleback Church. Furthermore, the 12-step approach is infused with Christian teachings.
- Dual Diagnosis. This program is for those who struggle with an addiction to alcohol, as well as a diagnosed mental disorder. Thus, in addition to the standard residential program, these clients will meet with therapists that can help them learn how to manage their mental challenges. Furthermore, medical professionals will determine if medication may be needed to help manage these challenges.
- College Program. This variation integrates recovery with learning study, organization, and time management skills. Furthermore, clients can learn basics in budgeting, résumé building, and test-taking skills. While mostly intended for younger clients, this program can benefit anyone interested in attending college or pursuing a new career upon successful recovery.
- Non-12-Step Program. For those who may struggle with the 12-step concepts or being labeled as addicted or diseased, they offer a cognitive behavior therapy approach. This may be just what the doctor ordered for individuals who may have failed previously in the 12-step program.
- Outpatient Program. While this option can be used as a form of aftercare, this is also an option for those who can’t do the full-time standard treatment. Clients can attend group and individual therapy sessions, as well as meet with medical professionals.
- Insurance and Pricing. Hope by the Sea accepts many well-known insurances and makes every effort to determine eligibility and work with insurance companies on behalf of their clients. For those who don’t have help from insurance, their out-of-pocket prices are competitive. They charge $24,600 for 30 days, and this price applies to any of the full-time programs listed above. The only exception is for those who wish to have more luxurious living accommodations, which will cost a little bit extra.
- Aftercare Options. In addition to doing full-time residential treatment for up to 90 days, several aftercare opportunities are available to help clients transition into everyday life. Aftercare options include:
- Outpatient Program. Clients can attend group and individual therapy sessions as well as meeting with medical professionals.
- Extended Care. Intended for those who have struggled with addiction for a long time, extended care is a continuation of the residential program for especially challenging cases.
- Sober Living. Clients can live in a home with other recovering addicts as they transition back to their normal lives. While they attend school, work full-time, and do other normal activities, they are expected to keep a curfew, perform regular chores, and support each other in recovery.
Despite the many advantages to working with Hope by the Sea, their company and programs do present a few limitations. Depending on your preferences as a patient, these could make or break your desire to work with this company. Or they could affect how helpful their programs are with your background and current needs.
The weaknesses of the programs include:
- Inflexible Aftercare. While the company website states that people come from all over the country to their facility, there is also no mention of aftercare options outside of California. Thus, clients coming from out of state seem to have no aftercare options unless they choose to stay in the area long term. Aftercare is such a crucial aspect to recovery that this serves as a definite con to those who really need that continued support.
- Experience in industry. There’s no denying that, compared with other companies in this industry, Hope by the Sea is really very new to the field. The center is only 12 years old and, thus, they may still be in a stage where they’re tinkering with their methods and trying to figure out what works best. Their CARF affiliation does instill some confidence, but their variety of treatment options does make you wonder if they’re average at a lot of things instead of being excellent at a few things.
There are also so many options for programs to choose from with Hope by the Sea, and while this is a positive for a lot of people, it can actually be quite overwhelming for others. Sometimes it’s nice to have a simple plan of action, particularly in an already-stressful process that recovery is.