- Assigned seats
- In-flight services
Thai Airways allows one free carry on bag and one free checked bag as long as it is in the weight limits. This is fairly average for many airlines although it is better than a few of those airlines that charge for all checked bags.
Thai Airlines has assigned seats on all of their flights. Passengers can change their assigned seat to other available seats at the online check in. Because the seats are assigned, the boarding process is much smoother than those airlines that do not have any assigned seating. Passengers need to arrive at least 60 minutes prior to take off and present the following items:
• Travel documents
• Boarding pass
• Baggage to register
• Credit/debit card used to purchase the ticket (if applicable)
Thai Airlines allows passengers to print their own boarding pass at home with A4 paper. If the passenger is late to the check-in counter (less than 60 minutes before departure) the assigned seat may be released for other passengers. This could cause more confusion in the boarding process for those who are late and lose their assigned seat. There is a check-in option online for Thai Airways as well as a mobile check-in service; these services are available 24 hours prior to the flight departure. These online check-ins allow for individual and multiple passengers with a maximum of 99 passengers in the same and different booking code. Certain flights also have the option for passengers to receive a mobile boarding pass which is an electronic version of a boarding pass that contains a 2D barcode.
Thai Airways flies in and out of the Bangkok airport. Excluding Bangkok, they have 10 domestic destinations and 61 international destinations in 30 different countries. Their international destinations include:
• Middle East:
• Asia/Pacific: (48 destinations in 19 countries)
o New Zealand
o Sri Lanka
• Europe: (11 destinations in 9 countries)
When compared to other airlines, this is a relatively few number of destinations. Thai airways does have a number of international destinations that would be able to serve a large number of passengers in their travels. However, they do not fly to the Americas and fly mainly to only the largest airports in their international destinations. They do not have a large number of options to choose from in terms of destinations in the countries they fly to. When compared to other top airlines that fly to over 300 destinations, Thai Airways is a much smaller option.
The in-flight services provided by Thai Airways are a bit above the average airline and stands up to some of the better services provided by top airlines. They include a number of luxuries for passengers to enjoy.
• Cuisine: Depending on the class and length of the flight, passengers can choose from a number of Thai and western inspired dishes. First class passengers experience luxuries such as champagne and caviar as well as a multiple course meal with many drink options. Economy class receives a number of options of different meals for the longer flights or a variety of fresh fruits from the highest quality of farms in the country.
• Entertainment: Thai Airways provides the custom selection of top movies, TV shows, and music for passengers to choose from. The screens for each passenger also allows them to play games and receive information about the current flight they are on. There is an available magazine that Thai Airways carries, the SAWASDEE magazine that is always current for passengers to peruse. Thai Airways provides all the same entertainment options that passengers of top airlines have become accustomed to.
• Children: A unique feature to Thai Airways in-flight services includes toys for children. Each flight is equipped with a range of toys, games and books specifically for children. They are even organized according to age with the following categories: under 3 years, 3-6, and 6-12 years. Thai Airways also advertises their crew members to be specially trained to help with small children during the flight, stating how it comes naturally to all Thais who love children.
• Shopping: Thai Airways provides duty free shopping similar to many of the top airlines. They have the most current catalogs available. They are also available to view online so passengers can begin shopping before the flight.
• Wi-Fi: Thai Airways offers Wi-Fi services on their Airbus A380-800 and A330-330 (33H) flights. This Wi-Fi option allows passengers to use their own personal devices such as laptops, tablets, or smartphones although it does cost a fee.
Prices for Wi-Fi packages
5 MB = USD4.99
10 MB = USD8.99
20 MB = USD16.99
30 MB = USD24.99