Spirit Airlines Logo

Spirit Airlines

Is This Your Business?

5.7

Founded in 1980, Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline offering more than 250 daily flights to over 50 destinations within the United States, Latin America, the Caribbean, and Canada. Having no fear of going against the grain, Spirit is committed to providing consumers low fares with no hidden fees. Home of the “Bare Fare,” a ticket with this airline is exactly that: a ticket. It covers gas to get you from one place to another. There is no “free” checked bag and no “free” in-flight snacks. Spirit saves even more money by flying fuel-efficient Airbus planes. Plus, they add extra seats to their planes so the cost of flying is split between more people. Fewer “free” amenities, fuel-efficient planes, and more seats to fill result in lower prices for you.

Southwest Airlines Logo
#1 Southwest Airlines chevron_right
Delta Airlines Logo
#2 Delta Airlines chevron_right
JetBlue Logo
#3 JetBlue chevron_right

The Good

• Ticket prices
  • Membership program
  • Travel insurance
Spirit believes travelers should only be required to pay for what they use. That's why a ticket only covers gas, and no extras are provided. If you print your pass at home, bring one personal item (16"x14"x12"), and allow the airline to choose your seat upon check-in, then your ticket is the only spending you'll be doing. If you want some of the traditional extras, however, there are still some ways for you to be satisfied. For instance, there is an in-flight menu with snacks and drinks, ranging in price from $1-$15, to quench any cravings that may creep up. Spirit offers Pringles, M&M's, chips and salsa, and other tasty snack options. The beverage menu consists of soft drinks, juices, bottled water, hot drinks and plenty of alcoholic beverages as well. Upgrading to a Big Front Seat, which offers greater space and more legroom than their standard seats, is another way passengers can spend a little extra to ensure optimum comfort. With several ways to earn miles and receive exclusive travel deals, Spirit is eager to reward their loyal consumers. With three membership offers, travelers are sure to find a rewards program best suited for their specific traveling needs. -Free Spirit is Spirit's free-to-join membership program. Members earn frequent flier miles on Spirit flights, and flights with partner airlines, and receive special updates and offers. -$9 Fare Club has an annual enrollment fee of $59.99. This membership offers the lowest fares, exclusive access to discounted fares and vacation packages and up to 50% off checked bags compared to paying at the airport. (It should be noted that this membership automatically renews at the end of the initial contract period for a fee of $69.95 unless cancelled before date of termination.) -Spirit World Mastercard is another great option for frequent Spirit fliers. Cardholders earn double miles on everyday purchases, which means two miles for every dollar spent, and also receive 15,000 bonus miles after the first purchase. Another great feature of this card is that miles do not expire with monthly card use. An additional useful feature Spirit offers is travel insurance, which is offered through Travel Guard. The charge for a Domestic Itinerary is 5% of the total reservation price with a $14 minimum; the charge for an International Itinerary is 5.5% of the total reservation price with a $16 minimum; the charge for a Vacation Package Itinerary is 6.5% of total reservation price with a $25 minimum. Specific quotations, including exact coverage and pricing, can be obtained from the travel guard website.

The Bad

• In-flight services
  • Destinations
  • On-time percentage
Although it makes sense in order to honor their desire to provide the lowest fees possible for consumers, passengers may still feel dissatisfied with the lack of amenities provided by the airline. No in-flight entertainment, no Wi-Fi availability, crammed seating, snacks and beverages available for purchase only may promote uncomfortable, un-entertaining travel conditions. Even though the 50 destinations Spirit flies to does include some world-class locations-including Las Vegas, San Diego, Montreal, New York, St. Thomas, San Salvador and Mexico City-the fact remains: 50 destinations just isn't very many. It won't be unheard of for potential passengers to give their business to another airline simply because Spirit is unable to fly to their desired destination. Punctuality is one of the most important qualities of a reliable airline. That said, Spirit arrived on time with only 58% success between May 15, 2015 and July 15, 2015. Whether flying for an important business conference or a much-needed family getaway, passengers should be able to trust that their flights will depart on time.

The Bottom Line

Determine your priorities. Spirit Airlines is a great option if you won't miss the freebies, can pack super light and are most concerned with getting a low-priced fare. However, individuals who are willing to spend a little bit more at another airline are likely to find their money was well spent. It won't be difficult to find a fairly priced carrier offering more amenities, flying to more destinations, and proving on-time reliability.

3.1

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

We flew Spirit Airlines out of Las Vegas to Minneapolis last December. We paid for one suitcase at time of booking and couldn't believe how much money we saved. We didn't purchase seats together so we saved even more. Spirit has a fun entertaining staff that made I trip seem to "fly" by. For a discount airline with no frills we were completely happy!

Natalia Correa MDTribe Tallahassee, FL

I love flying with Spirit Airlines because they have amazing deals. They also have great customer service. One time I missed my flight and they immediately rescheduled me for the next one free of charge!

Jeremy Webb Covington, LA

Took a trip to Florida a couple months back and flew Spirit. Did not have a bad experience, flight times were accurate and my only complaint were the seats being a little tight. Everything else went really well and it was a great price!

Becca Tallahassee, FL

Cheap, but you get what you pay for! The upfront costs are extremely low, but if you want to take more than a carry-on with you in terms of luggage, the charges begin adding up. Not, however, anywhere close to other airlines! The planes also seem to be older, smaller, more cramped, etc. But honestly, to get from point A to point B with as little cost as possible, it is a winner!

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

Spirit is my go to airline when I need to go to a not normal location and I haven't planned ahead and especially with connections to Las Vegas. They have great prices and great deals and they process is easy to buy a ticket, to check in, and to fly.

Andrea

Exactly as expected. I got a ridiculously cheap ticket and got from point a to point b. I was aware of the cost of bags and limited services, but all went just fine.

Roger Jones Diamondhead, MS

compared to other airlines, there airplane cabins seemed older. for example some planes had wore seats, wore pieces etc. Seemed some of their planes were 10 years older than the bigger airlines. BUT, wow you save money. So you want to save money, this is the airline. You literally get what you pay for.

Rachel Bahl Rochester, MN

Spirit isn't too bad for the amount you pay. Although, the very first time we flew with them, our flight out of minneapolis was delayed by almost 5 hours. We were later told that delayed flights were pretty common for Spirit...

Matt Campbell Lynnwood, WA

Flew to Vegas from Seattle, cheap rates, was delayed boarding because of personnel problems by an hour and a half, but the crew was jovial and they held the connection for some people on our flight in Vegas so seems like they care about the customer.

DAVID HADAWAY Long Beach, MS

If you are in to no frills flying the Spirit Airlines is for you. Ticket prices are about the lowest out there but be careful, those prices can quickly skyrocket with additional fees for everything. Read the website very carefully when purchasing tickets.

Joy Hill Pleasant Grove, UT

Talk about bang for your buck. If you are cool going no frills - this is the airline for you. Flew Las Vegas to Florida for less than $100 round trip. Prepare to be squished, uncomfortable and hungry. But I'll do that anytime to save hundreds!

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

Spirit Airlines is often late, but they have always provided us with credit whenever it happens. I will always have a fond place in my heart for Spirit Air because it got me across the country for $150 roundtrip. I'd never seen anything like it.

M MP Darby, PA

They are the worst airline ever. The charge for so many things your seat the luggage price is redic. Two elderly people came to the gate and the luggage was to heavy and they had to check the baggage and when they heard it was going to be 200. I started telling them they are crooks doing this to the elderly. There is no spirit on this airline

EsterJo Chicago, IL

I flew spirit around 2 years ago to get to Florida. I will never fly this garbage airline ever again. The ticket was dirt cheap but the experience was so bad I wouldn't fly them again for free. I got the bathroom seat at the back of the plane so I couldn't put my seat back, the entire area smelled like poop, and saying there was no leg room is an understatement.

ROBIN Pine Grove, CO

the worst airline I have ever used. tight fit, chairs don't recline the service sucks and they charge even for a glass of ice. I was in the air for 4 hrs and was unable to move an inch either way. don't drop anything, you won't be able to pick it up....screaming kids everywhere, must be why its so cheap...by the time you pay all their fees you might as well fly a real airline like United. DO NOT SUBJECT YOURSELF TO THIS AWEFUL AIRLINE

Austin Stelmach Boulder, CO

Spirit is one of the most affordable airlines, however it comes with a price. I have had mostly terrible experiences with this airline while traveling internationally. They made it ridiculously difficult to transfer my luggage to another plane and almost caused me to miss my flight. However, one employee named Roy gave me hope. He was the most helpful airline employee I had ever met. Apart from him, use Spirit Airlines at your own risk.

Msindoni Miami, FL

I've utilized Spirit Airlines services 3 times now, and I haven't had a bad experience. You pay for what you want, which is perfect for me considering I need the bare minimum. My flights were always on time without issues.

Dwhoush Slidell, LA

I didn’t pay for the tickets so I can’t speak on that part, but the flight was good. The staff was very nice. The luggage fees were just so high. I try to just bring a backpack when I fly Spirit.

Mickey Mangum Long Beach, MS

I once used Sprit air for a short domestic trip. The ticket purchase was simple and the customer service was fine. The plane itself was clean and on time. All aspects of the flight were great.

Ariyana Miller Riverview, FL

The planes frequently get overbooked which results in them asking people to give up their seats. Not sure how they allow this but it can be very frustrating. The flight itself is also very rough which makes it hard to unwind.

wow if there was every an airline that I could give zero starts to. I have done two business trips with this airline first time I was on a delay for 8 hours no rain no storms just a plane they tried to fix on the tarmac that came in already having been delayed from where it left. the representative were extremely rude to an older lady who was in a wheel chair I and other passengers took turns at the airport to shuttle her back and forth to the rest room as she had requested help and the people that handled ticket counters could not get a care attended to help move her during all these hours of delay. I have them the benefit of the doubt and tried them on a second business trip and I never made my meeting they after a full day delay of plane not working and having mechanical issues they finally got me to another flight at an extra 150.00 cost to me not very friendly employees at the counter at all that was my last time doing anything with spirit my original purchase was a business class and the extra 150 got me an economy seat with another airline so not worth it so far both times was a mechanical issue there people who are employed must hate there job and its just so not worth the headache

katiec Provo, UT

Great price, but not great service. As a college student, I love flying spirit airlines because of the cheap price. However, they charge a ton for every extra fee they can, the service is not great, and the plane seems less safe than normal planes.

Erin Rhoton Pleasant Grove, UT

I do not flying Spirit Airlines even though it is SO cheap! You have to pay for every additional thing (bags, seats, drinks, etc.) and it adds up. The service isn’t great but if you need a SUPER cheap ticket, it is probably the cheapest.

Zabsanti Silverhill, AL

Even though spirit offers extremely cheap flights, their quality and their service is very poor. I also don't like How I have to pay extra for carry on.

Small Business Owner Littleton, CO

Below Average Customer Communication. Luggage Arrived to destination damaged with a wheel broken off. Worked for weeks with customer service and walked away with no compensation for damaged luggage and hours of wasted time.

Roger

The seats are very small. They nickel and dime you. After I booked it I found out that they charge for carry on luggage. The price of the ticket plus the carry on fee was more than if I would have just booked with a better airline.

Bella Houtz South Jordan, UT

Spirit Airlines is a great flight option when you are on a budget. We always feel comfortable and have fun with Spirit Airlines.

Alyssa Hansel Tallahassee, FL

Spirit airlines is super affordable and fast flights! The flight attendants are always super friendly and the pilot will get you there safe!

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

Being a Latrobe native, I've flown Spirit a number of times. As most Pittsburghers do, I flew to Myrtle. Super convenient and fast flight!

Tracy Womack Cedar City, UT

Spirit Airlines have the best prices in the whole business. They are the best airline to get you from point A to point B.

Liana Colorado Springs, CO

I would rather fly as cargo than fly with spirit. They are the absolute bottom of the barrel. And while their prices might LOOK cheap, they charge additional for EVERYTHING. They also are very inflexible when it comes to cancellation.

CAROLE SCOVILLE Pleasant Grove, UT

If you want a super cheap flight – spirit is your airline! Don’t expect any freebies or lots of legroom, but if you’re trying to save money, spirit is great

K.S.

Didn't like the tightness with leg room. It's so cramped. Also, the price of carryon is astronomical compare to the other airlines.

Kristen Kalamaras Elkhart, TX

Good prices on the flights. Easy access in and out of the airport. Free parking.

Betty D'Arbeau Mount Vernon, NY

Charge 50 for bag that is consider a carry to be be stored or 57 to carry on plan. Seats are tight. Had to pay for snacks even water. Horrible. They do not tell you about these charges. Deceptive.

Hayley Lambdin Orem, UT

They have cheap flights but their customer service sucks and you have zero perks in flight. They are also crazy about carry on baggage.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

The planes are small and they're okay if you are flying domestically, but they can get uncomfortable for a long ride. Cheap flights too, but they're nothing crazy.

Wilgens Paul Jacksonville, FL

Spirits prices are unbeatable but there is a tradeoff. The flights aren’t the best. They’re pretty uncomfortable but if you need an affordable flight to anywhere, spirit is the way go go!

Syl North Port, FL

The flight was good in my opinion. Thank you, I have not problem with my flight. Plane was clean, flight was on time, crew was very nice.

Rommie Bishop III Rexburg, ID

Ah, Spirit is one of my favorite airlines! That's mainly because they are so cheap for people who have very little to carry.

AmyConder22 Eagle Mountain, UT

Spirit was an ok flight but we had to pay for every bag even the one carry on that most airline allow.

Gerri Long Beach, MS

Fair prices, I have yet to complete a flight with this Airlines. My flight always gets canceled. I have tried on multiple occasions without success. Everything else I have experienced with this Airlines has been pleasant.

Teresa LeBaron Lake Villa, IL

Inexpensive flights but not a whole lot of room in the plane. Plus lots of extra fees that can add up quickly. Great for a short flight with only a personal item.

Starski Cene Vienna, VA

Good price at a cost Pros: - Cheap flights Cons: - Everything is unbundled, they charge fees for every little service - Customer service is average at best

Kristin G Pleasant Grove, UT

I flew this airline ones from Las Vegas because the flight was very very cheap. We were delayed over three hours and I will never fly with them again .

Sharlene Clair Taylor, MI

All personnel were WONDERFUL as I am disabled. Their rules for carryons stink and are pricey.

Joseph

fair fair prices and easy to get on and off the plane could have better rates and drop the price per seat chosen

Linda Morley Fredonia, NY

Low airfare and direct flights to las Vegas nevada, safe planes, that's all

Holly Brown Saint Amant, LA

great price, but bare bones packages are why it is so cheap. would recommend if used to flying, but new flyers should pick something else

Azrienne Tallahassee, FL

very cheap prices but you extremely little planes. highly recommended if traveling on a budget