Southwest Airlines Logo

Southwest Airlines

Is This Your Business?

9.4

Southwest Airlines is a large US airline headquartered in Dallas, Texas. In fact, it is the world’s largest low-cost carrier. The airline was established in 1967 and adopted the name "Southwest" in 1971. It offers over 4,000 flights a day with 90+ destinations in the US and ten additional countries.

Southwest is one of the largest Boeing operators. In fact, it only operates 737s. Southwest has over 550 737s in service, with each of them getting around six to seven flights per day.

Southwest is not without controversy. Recently, the company got into trouble with the government for offering a quoted rate on its website that was not actually a real fare for any seat on a flight. Also, in July 2014, a customer and his family were asked to leave a flight because he was not allowed to board a flight early as an A-list member. He tweeted his dissatisfaction and was kicked off the flight and told to remove his tweet.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Southwest Airlines reviews from real customers.

View Best Airlines

Delta Airlines Logo
#2 Delta Airlines chevron_right
JetBlue Logo
#3 JetBlue chevron_right
American Airlines Logo
#4 American Airlines chevron_right
3.4

The Good

• Low Cost
  • Two Bags Checked Free
  • On-Time Flights
  • Amenities and Entertainment

Low Cost

Southwest is a low-cost airline. Ticket prices are some of the lowest on the market. On top of its low prices, Southwest offers many discounts and promotions on their website. The rewards program is also beneficial and easy to use. It is clear to see how to earn a free flight through Southwest. These different promotions and specials available can help ensure that Southwest is the lowest price available for many domestic flights.

Two Bags Checked Free

Southwest has a generous checked baggage allowance—two free checked bags per passenger.

Many other airlines charge for more than one checked bag and some airlines don't allow any free checked baggage at all. This makes Southwest one of the top airlines for checked baggage.

Any checked bags (after the two free) cost $75 per bag.

There are size restrictions for baggage on Southwest Airlines. Bags need to be less than 50lbs and have dimensions (length + weight + height) of 62 inches.

Overweight items (51lbs to 100lbs) and oversized items (63 inches to 80 inches) will also be accepted at a fee of $75 per item.

On-Time Flights

Southwest Airlines has a very high on-time percentage for most of their flights: roughly 85% on-time, 6% late, 2% very late, and 4% excessively late (information according to Flightstats.com). This is higher than a number of other top airlines. However, some of the most-active routes received low ratings. Top flights include:

• Burbank to Oakland (3.2 stars, 87% on time)
  • Phoenix to San Diego (3.2 stars, 85% on time)
  • Los Angeles to San Jose (3.2 stars 83% on time)

This shows that even top flights are barely receiving three stars. Southwest's lowest-ranked flight is Dallas to Austin, receiving only 1.5 stars and being on-time roughly 70% of the time. Many other top airlines have a large number their most active flights in the four-star range. Compared to this, Southwest does not compare as well as some other top airlines.

Amenities and Entertainment

Southwest offers many of the standard amenities when it comes to in-flight services. As a low-cost airline, some in-flight services are lacking when compared to those that other top airlines provide. Check out some of the airline's in-flight amenities:

• Entertainment: Southwest allows passengers to use personal devices for their entertainment and provides free live and on-demand television. This includes 19 live channels and up to 75 TV episodes from popular series. There are also more than 25 current movie choices available for purchase on flights. Southwest does not have other means for entertainment besides passengers personal devices. Most other airlines have some sort of screen provided and many more options for media.
  • Food and dining: While a number of the major airlines offer meal options on their flights, this low-cost airline does not. However, complimentary drinks and snacks including pretzels and peanuts are available. Many other low-cost airlines do not offer any complimentary items like this.
  • Wi-Fi: For $8 a day, passengers can access wi-fi services on personal mobile devices to browse the web, check emails, and explore social media sites. This is also how the in-flight entertainment is streamed. This is a very affordable option that not every airline provides. However, not every flight with Southwest offers wi-fi. Passengers can check amenities with flight information on the Southwest website to check if their flight will have wi-fi or not. Flights without wi-fi service do not have other options for entertainment.

The Bad

• Boarding Process
  • Open Seating Policy
  • Ten Minute Rule
  • Limited Destinations
  • Government Action
  • Limited Aircraft Comforts

Boarding Process

The boarding process on Southwest is slightly different than most other airlines. Instead of having passengers choose a seat with some type of interactive map during purchase or check-in, Southwest does not assign any seats. It gives a group (A, B, or C) and a number (1-60) to assign the order of boarding.

Open Seating Policy

Southwest uses an open seating policy so passengers can sit anywhere that is open once they have boarded the plane. This would make the boarding process less smooth than airlines that assign or let passengers choose seats beforehand.

With an open seating policy, passengers may be confused as to where to go and may run into more problems or potentially take longer to be settled on the plane.

Ten Minute Rule

Passengers are suggested to be ready to board the plane 30 minutes before departure time and must have their boarding pass and be at the gate at least 10 minutes before departure time. If they have not arrived at least 10 minutes before, Southwest will cancel the reserved space and the passenger will not be eligible for the denied boarding compensation.

Limited Destinations

Southwest flies to 90+ different destinations (mainly domestic), although international routes are available to the Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America. This is a small number of destinations when compared to other airlines, such as United which flies to 300 different destinations and many more internationally.

Keep in mind that the 90+ served destinations cover most of the United States. For passengers that need to travel domestically, Southwest would most likely be able to serve in their desired destinations.

For passengers who want an airline that is able to take them to both international and domestic destinations, Southwest would most likely not be able to serve them the best. Looking at just the number of destinations, Southwest would be considered a small airline.

Government Action

There is an alert for this company because of a government action which was recently placed against them in 2014. At that time, Southwest advertised $59 flights to certain destinations. However, after an investigation, it was shown that there were no seats available to any destination at that price.

The airline was fined for their deceptive advertising. This false advertising is a red flag for how Southwest has in the past conducted business.

Limited Aircraft Comforts

We also felt like the Boeing-driven fleet reduced some of the comfort creature features for customers. Generally, Airbus planes include bigger and better seats, with more seat pitch and width.

The Bottom Line

We recommend Southwest wholeheartedly. It is difficult to beat its prices. The Rewards points system is also great. Points don't ever expire, but you have to accrue points or keep your card active for 24 months. There are no blackout dates for your frequent flier points.

View Best Airlines

Melanie Wible Cumming, GA

Southwest Airlines just makes flying fun. The cool ads, the fun logos, and most of all the cheap flight ideas that come to my in-box. It makes me want to get back in the air and go West. As a Southwest Air traveler, I feel respected and treated fairly with a no-nonsense approach to flying. I appreciate that. Thanks.

DealStar South Jordan, UT

There's a saying about location value in the real estate industry that "south west is best" and I am giggling at the idea of using that phrase to describe my experiences with Southwest Airlines. For easy, fun (if travel can be fun!), and efficiency, Southwest IS best and is an affordable option when traveling. My only reason for taking off 1 star is that there are limited non-stop flights, making some short jaunts longer than they need to be. But with that said, the value is in the prices. And frankly, I enjoy the laid back flight attendants who work hard to make us all feel at home.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

Southwest Airlines used to be my favorite airlines. I wasn't able to fly for awhile because my ex-husband didn't like spending money on anything but food. Thankfully he's out of the picture. It's really frustrating that the really cheap flights that Southwest offers, you can't cancel them and get your money back if for some reason you have to cancel. I know they say that you can use the tickets up to a year from when you cancel, but a lot of people work and it's not always easy to get off of work when you want or need to. But if you buy tickets that you can cancel, it costs way too much, it's ridiculous!!!! It's very disappointing because they used to be my favorite airline and I really want to fly on Southwest again. Especially because here in Lubbock, Texas, they still use regular sized jets where American and United have much smaller planes. And Southwest used to have some of their seats facing backwards, which I really loved sitting there!!!! I REALLY miss flying on Southwest Airlines and I really hope that I'm able to fly on them again sometime soon!!! I also wish their flights were available on Priceline and other similar websites!!!!

Rhona Leffler Olney, MD

Southwest is a reliable, mostly affordable airline with a lot of flights to choose from. I like Southwest because they don't charge for up to 2 checked bags and you can cancel without a penalty. Sometimes their flights are expensive, but if you have a flexible schedule, you can usually find a flight that is affordable.

Andrea Wheaton, IL

I've been a flyer on Southwest for many years. They have an excellent rewards program that you can actually use and enjoy. The employees have a great attitude and offer fantastic customer service. I can honestly say I haven't had a bad flight.

R. Florez North Highlands, CA

I have almost nothing bad to say about Southwest Airlines! Love flying with them, love the 2 bags fly free, love the many non-stop flight options. We only wish more of the calendar was released to book trips further in advance. I have 3 trips booked this year already with SW, and need to book another but the calendar isn't yet open.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

Southwest is an amazing airline. The greatest part is that they allow two free checked bags. They are cheaper than other airlines and they fly to a lot of places in the US. Sadly, they don't fly to many places outside of the US. They have great ticket policies and their customer service team is helpful and friendly.

Becky Nuffer Gresham, OR

I love the reasonable fares and even the no reserved seat policy. I was sad when they discontinued the flights to SLC from PDX because that is where I flew the most. Also they had a great sense of humor, and were always kind.

Heather Milke Olney, MD

Southwest Airlines is my favorite airline. They have the best prices and their routes are to many of my regular destinations.

Jean Pleimann Hollywood, FL

They are usually always on time leaving & make up time in the air getting you there on time if not early. No charge for 2 suitcases & a carry on. Great value!!!

David Simpson Grove, OK

I love Southwest Airlines. From ticketing to travel everything is made easy and simple. Crews are excellent, planes are always clean and accomodations are excellent.

Mason Allen Pleasant Grove, UT

I like that you can choose your own seat and there are not silly fees. I love that you get free checked bags and they aren't strict about carryons. There is always an inflight service and the flight attendants are kind. The customer service when trying to change flights is great. Best airline.

daphjohnson Saratoga Springs, UT

Southwest is my favorite airline. You don't have to pay expensive fees just to bring your bags or have a drink on the flight. I also am a Rapid Rewards member and am able to get points through my credit card. These points go a lot further than other rewards accounts.

Mia Alshami Fayetteville, AR

I love the flexibility and cheap air fares of Southwest Airlines! Living in a smaller city, we don't have that many options for air travel but Southwest is definitely the most affordable option for us! I also love the flexibility of being able to choose your own seats on a plane because it allows me to sit with my family on long flights.

Phillis Ruggieri

I am disabled and each time that I make arrangements to fly to see my son, I always choose Southwest! They are always so kind to me and take their time to explain my flying arragnements ('I'm 71 years young) and they also help me to get to my flight station and also while I'm sitting there, some of their workers will come over to see if I need anything while I'm waiting. They don't forget about their people ! They always have a wheelchair or a cart there to help me get off the plane and to my next station or flight. Now that is service. While in flight they also keep tabs on me to see if I need anything, (sure I know they do that for all of the other peope, but I think you know what I mean. I have flown all of the above airlines in my time and NO ONE can beat SOUTHWEST for prices, and service. OH, yes, I forgot about the luggage, they don't penny and dime you to death becasue you have a large lungage or have to carryon a bag to put on the top. SO once again, NO you won't catch me on another airline, if I can't get what I want, I'll WAIT. I feel safe on their airlines also. Sure they've had some problems but who hasn't, so don't go knocking them out for this. PUT your "TRUST in SOUTHWEST and you'll get where you want to go and you won't have to pay a arm and a leg or your first born!! " AGAIN, they care about their customers coming and going!! I even had the captain come back to say hello, now where does this happen? Have a great day."

Lourdes Rivera

Wow we are very impressive with Southwest we travel on Sept 24 from Phi, PA to Phoenix, AZ it was a very nice flight w connection in Chicago, IL it was quiet and snack and water, coffee, sodas available beside whoever drinks in which it has a cost to it their staff caring and kept everything under control our flight back from Phoenix, AZ to Phi, PA was a nonstop wow I was so happy the flight was also quiet and everything from checking in, to luggages was fine except a spray I had I needed to check in my small carry on but I wouldn't gave up a $25 spray but it was my fault but I would flight nonstop in the future and Southwest do not charge for luggage's, walkers, strollers, instruments anything according to the rules live Southwest staff so caring to all your needs to ya a 5 star airlines the only negative part Wifi down all the way to Phoenix, AZ but it works all the way back home. Love love early check in an extra $25 dollars each person but the Southwest staff in Chicago airlines was a little mean to us but I won't just judge one unpleasant staff with the overall experience in which was magnificent trip

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

Southwest Airline's customer service has always been unbeatable in my mind. The two free checked bags and being able to cancel and change flights without losing money, are you kidding me? I used to get so much anxiety booking flights just because I had to be so sure of my plans, so it always felt like such a big commitment. But, with Southwest's cancellation policy I finally felt so much more at ease about traveling because I knew if something unexpected happened it would be so simple and easy to change my flight. Plus, the peanuts and pretzels and smiling employes are a bonus. The no assigned seats isn't amazing, but they have enough good stuff going that I don't even mind.

Karen Frisco, TX

My favorite airlines to use is Southwest. I have always had a positive experience with them. They are priced reasonably not only if you pay with money, but if you use points you have earned through them. Another big reason I use them is that they allow you to check two free bags. I don't like how other airlines nickel and dime you for checked baggage. A person ought to be able to check their bags for free when they have already spent money on a ticket to fly that airline! Lastly, I love that when I have to cancel a flight, I get my earned points back instead of losing them or having to pay some fee to retain them. Southwest is the best!

Linda Bates Mesquite, NV

My daughter had a sick newborn baby and people were starting to line up to board, but they announced that it would be a few minutes. My daughter had one of the last zones to board and the baby had woke up fussy and ready to nurse. My daughter was very stressed at knowing she had to wait until her zone was called. I went to a young man and explained the problem to him and he said to have my daughter board now. When my daughter arrived back home, she called me to say that by the time people started to board the plane, she had finished nursing the baby and by the time they got up in the air, the baby was asleep. That all would not have been possible if it had not been for that young man, who was so kind and told my daughter to board now. I never got the man's name in Salt Lake City, but his representation of immediate action of helping us was so appreciative! Thank you!

Alysia Anderson Oconomowoc, WI

I LOVE flying with Southwest Airlines! For starters, the prices are great. I always select the "Wanna get away" flights because they are the least expensive I can usually find anywhere. Along with their low prices, lets talk about baggage check! You can check in 2 free bags, which I think definitely is a life saver. You could find a cheaper price for a flight somewhere else if you really wanted to, but they're going to sap you in your checked baggage and even carry on. Southwest doesn't do that, making it the most budget friendly option! Lastly, I've never had a problem with service or my flights. None of my items have been lost during transportation, all of the staff on the plane have been very friendly and attentive. Southwest is definitely my go-to!

Gerrie Giddens Anniston, AL

I fly Southwest exclusively. I love their humor, friendliness, and of course being able to take 2 bags free plus a carry-on. I have recently needed the help of a wheelchair, which I hate having to do. Everyone I have come in contact with has been wonderful. Also, when I do check other airlines I find their rates higher than Southwest. I fly about 3 or 4 times a year to various places for the past 15 years. The only time I have had any problem whatsoever is on 2 separate occasions I had to sit on the edge of my seat because a child behind me was sitting in parent's lap and kicking my seat quite hard the entire flight. Of course this is absolutely no fault of the airlines.

Bonny Palmetto, FL

I do love your service! The unassigned seating is great! The service is not exactly as it used to be --flight attendents were fun-some played guitars, some sang,but were still efficient- -made the flight enjoyable. More 'business-like' now. We always fly SWA--but certainly wish you were not cancelling service to Grand Rapids and flint, Michigan!! Being a college town they really need service! Detroit is too far away to be efficient for students, parents! Since you joined with Air Tran it would seem as if you could find enough business to keep one of these destinations. Thanks for your service.

William Bendall Mulberry, FL

My wife and I just completed a two week trip which covered stops in Stockton, Ca an wed Houston Tx.. We had a few plane changes and layovers, but nothing unusual these days. As a one time employee of TWA back in the glory days of airlines standards and service, we weren't expecting much based on today's lack of customer service. Surprise!! We found Southwest to be far superior to the current "norm"! Flights were all on time, aircraft clean and relatively comfortable. The crews on each flight seemed to have a personality of its own, and ALL were excellent !!!Friendly, helpful and fun! FARES were reasonable, and all in all a pleasant surprise. Good job Southwest....Don't lose your edge...Great job!

J Christopher Houston, TX

I fly Southwest whenever I can, sure they may not ALWAYS have the lowest fares but it's great when they do, & of course their "2 BAGS FLY FREE" SW is still the ONLY airline that offers this & haven't been hurting customers with needless baggage "fees" My long standing question still stands unanswered, does it really take $100-$300 to fly one bag or 2 bags?? Ok, no more ranting. My experience on SW has always been great from check in, boarding to the in flight crew, no matter where I go the crew make the do's & don'ts of safety instructions fun. On my last trip a few days ago, I was feeling a little down & sad thinking about losing Kurt in Afghanistan, when one of the flight attendants noticed my ribbon with Kurt's picture & made my day when he wrote me a very nice note on behalf of the entire crew. In the 2 yrs since Kurt has been gone I've NEVER experienced that kind of caring from other flight attendants on any other airlines I've flown during the same time frame. So why do I love SW? For the caring, concern & fun loving flight attendants, among other things........

Ulrike Ully Schiffner Kelly Monroeville, PA

We just returned from our flight last night from Las Vegas where we attend a wedding, which included 5 day hotel reservations booked through South West...S W A was great..The flight was on time , we had comfortable seating, and as a passenger with special needs I was taken care with pre boarding and assisted when I boarded by friendly personnel..We were offered beverages and a bag of snacks and later beverages again... .This is the second time we flew with South West Airlines in 5 years and we were very satisfied. I will use this Airline again if our destination takes us anywhere they fly...I am even more appreciative with the excellent service we received, because several family members who flew out for there with a different airline carrier.. had their flight delayed or cancelled in the last two days and are still stuck in Las Vegas with children.. Thank you SWA for your great service!

Molly Day Kirkland, WA

My husband and I flew to MN 3 weeks ago. We always fly SW but this one was the best flight yet. We had a steward on the way to Denver and he was excellent! His name is Gio and he is above reproach! He made our flight very enjoyable. He was so kind and helpful and made us laugh and relax during the flight. Then when we left Denver, we got a stewardess named Elissa. We were on Flight 4551. She was also very kind and helpful! I believe it is their job to help people be more comfortable and to enjoy the flight. Both of these people did all they could to accomplish that! I hope they can get a raise or some kind of recognition! They are incredible!

Beth Teet Oklahoma City, OK

The custormer service provider by SWA is bar none the best in the industry, Customers are treated like family. There is one specific gate agent in OKC that consistently (over the past 4 years I have seen him) calls the customers by name as they board the plane! I think this is because SWA totally understands that people - employee or customer are their best asset. I recently did a research paper on the SWA organization, their servant leadership model, and innovative cultural organizational model. Despite the few negatives (and they are few in relation to positives) this is my #1 choice of transportation. I always try to book SWA first, and an truly disappointed when I have to use an alternate carrier.

Karen Alt Jacksonville, FL

Southwest is the BEST!!!! I fly to visit my dautghter about 3 times a year and wouldn't think of using another airline. Customer service is top notch and always friendly :) I use wheelchair to and from plane due to health issues and definite service with a smile :) Once had to stay overnight in Baltimore when there was a problem with plane departing from Buffalo. They gave me a voucher and put me up at a hotel and free breakfast then I was on my way to Jacksonville the next morning. Crew is cheerful and polite at all times. Trip planned for september and looking forward to the cheerful and professional attitudes of the Southwest employees and staff.

Carol Wright Avondale, AZ

We love Southwest! Everyone keeps telling us that it is only a matter of time and you will be charging for the 1st bag, and snacks, etc. I hope not. I sometimes have to fly another airline only because Southwest doesn't fly there. I recently flew American, what a joke. My boarding ticket said Group 1 but there were probably 8 other groups before me. They have assigned seating so it really does not make much sense. Oh and you have to pay for some of those isle and window seats and I am not talking about the ones in 1st Class either. Southwest, Please don't ever change!!! My Husband now has you as the preferred Airline for business travel where he works!! Go Southwest!

Kim Barnes Littleton, CO

If you want to know everything you need to know about Southwest Airlines, consider this. The longer a customer has been their customer, the HIGHER they rank this airline. That says a whole lot. As a business traveler, the fact I can change my ticket without penalty has saved me many thousands of dollars over the years. And they do it better than anybody else in the industry, PERIOD! Learn why it's important to check in 24 hours on the button, better yet, fly 25 legs in a year and become an A Lister and truly enjoy what this airline can do for you. I know I sound like a commercial, but I love SWA!

Russ Fairfax, CA

I do not know why anybody would attempt to use a legacy carrier for a domestic flight. They have all but advertised they are no longer interested in this market share. Yes it is cheap. But in the end it is about service and reliability. They are always pleasant and always on time. The boarding process seems silly, and you feel as if you are back in school, but it works! Funny how the customers seem much nicer and more pleasant. Could it have something to do with the staff? They turn those planes around in 15 minutes. The planes-they are new and clean. I feel safer and don't have to take a shower to get the grime off when I get home. The last United first class seat I had was broken and had non-functioning lights. On Delta I had to listen to flight attendants grousing about their customers in the galley. Don't you get the impression on the low cost carriers employees might enjoy their jobs? I once had a United flight attendant apologize for how bad they were and thanking us for giving them the chance. I do wish southwest would reconsider the food for purchase option given their expanded long distance routes. No airline is perfect, but for the past several years Southwest has stood on top of them all.

Kaye Harrison Keatchie, LA

As a Christmas gift this past year, my two sons flew me to AZ and CA via Southwest Airlines to visit each of them for a week. I am a white knuckle flyer. Have not liked it for years now. But this year was different. I had just lost my favorite sister to cancer on Dec 9th. And facing the holidays was not something I was looking forward to. So any fears about flying were put aside. I need to use a walker and a cane but S.A. made the process so easy for me. And it was a bonus that my trip home was on the first non-stop flight from San Francisco to Dallas Love Field . Love the crew on S.A. flights!! Am looking forward to many more visits to family and friends via S.A!

jeanne harms Channelview, TX

Ourfirst trip with SW was25 years ago when the grandkids were competing in the Iron Kids Triatalons and winning trips ,the first to Phoenix. That close to Las Vegas it was a must to take a side trip BUT we had two very expensive bikes to worry about No problem said SW we will send them back to Houston and they will be waiting for you when you finish your trip. with 7 grandkids and five of them off to college about the same time I had told all of them it didn't make any difference where they went to college as long as it was on a SW .route .the ony time I ever had a problem was whe one grandson ended up at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs and that plane fles right over it to Denver Never did get Herb to change the stop Well now the kids are grown and scattered all over BUT still on SW routes and my love for the airline is even greater ,Not only do they make it easy for me to visit my kids and Grands and greatgrands but they make it easy for me at 81 to whiz right thru Hobby on my scooter and right up to the gate of the plane where my scooter goes down a lift into the lugage hold and is waiting for me when I deplane,Oh and one of those gkids now works for SW

Skip Redpath Phoenix, AZ

OOPS...got bumped off the review the first time, so I'll start over!! NUMBER ONE, in my book.. Flights, Crew(s), Schedules...all top rate, quality service. SOUTHWEST does know Customer Service, which many of the other Airlines seem to have forgotten. The "bang for your buck" is fantastic, and the Rewards Program I consider to be one of the best in the industry. I have NEVER, (and I started using SOUTHWEST in the mid 1980's), had a problem that SOUTHWEST did not quickly assist and resolve. Even with the expansion of their Airline, they have NOT forgotten "Customer Service", which is a rarity in today's market. Thank you, SOUTHWEST.

Pat Spencer Saint Joseph, MO

We love flying Southwest! Everyone is always so very helpful. I fly handicapped and they are very accommodating. Even though our flight was only 1 hour 20 minutes, I love that we have a snack along the way. I'm understanding that very few airlines do that anymore. We also love that we don't have to pay separate fees for luggage. With other companies, there are many add on fees. With Southwest, what we see on our ticket is what we are charged! We love that!!! The only thing I don't like, and I bet this happens with other airlines, too, is that too many people bring larger bags/luggage than they should and put it/them in the overhead areas. I've even seen people with a fairly large suitcase, plus a stuffed backpack. When a person brings luggage of that size, it makes it difficult for the rest of us to get our bags in the overheads. I would love to see all airlines tighten down on this. Thanks, Southwest!!! We always let you fly us where ever we go!!!

Sandra K. Gorin Glasgow, KY

I love Southwest Airlines. I have only flown with them once but various family members use only this airline. They were very helpful as I needed wheelchair assistance. The chair was there immediately; when the flight boarded, I was boarded first and the flight attendant helped me to my seat (walking slowly) and stowed my bag in the overhead. It was this way on the return flight. The flights departed on time. My only complaint is that they do not have straight through flights from Louisville KY to Minneapolis, MN or any specials offered it seems. But, I truly enjoyed my flight from Louisville to OH and back.

Ro DiBenedetto Thibodeau Fitchburg, MA

My family of 33 siblings & spouses children, grandchildren, nieces & nephews ALWAYS travel Southwest. The professionalism of employees, the value of fare, & honest respect & valuing of the customer are a few of the reasons we call SWA "Our Family Airline." With that being said, I encountered a problem on Monday, May18 Flt. # 123. My flight ended up delayed & eventually cancelled due to weather from Baltimore to Manchester Airports. I am thankful to SWA for acknowledging the patience of all ticket holders by issuing a $100 voucher. We needed to re-book for Tuesday May 19th travel. The courtesy, concern & helpfulness I received was outstanding which alleviated any anxiety I may have experienced at this change of plans. So what is my concern & problem? I watched my luggage sit out in torrential rain for at least 4 hours. It could of been more. I feel that the Luggage Handlers should of brought the luggage undercover after 3 delays. The tarp on the luggage didn't even come close to protecting it from the rains & high winds. My duffel is waterproof & you can imagine my surprise and disappointment when I went to unpack & my clothes were sopping wet inside my bag! I called Customer Relations in Dallas, Texas where a knowledgeable, sincere, polite man named Justin/Jess took my report (#272403890665) & told me it would be forwarded. I am not looking for anything from the airline. I just felt that the company I trust would want to know what happened that evening. Thank you SWA for still being the BEST of all the REST! Continue your excellent reputation.

Pennye Padgett Midland, MI

I have flown with Southwest several times in the last couple of years and every experience has been wonderful with one exception: a stewardess. On a flight from Washington, D.C. last year the stewardess decided to be a stand-up comedian but she was not funny at all. She kept on the microphone almost the WHOLE flight, speaking suggestively and all I could think was that if we had an emergency who would follow her? It's a bad precedent; professionalism and courtesy is to be expected from a stewardess. They work hard and I hated to see her dirty the profession. Every other experience has been excellent.

Gabriel Gonzales Kokomo, IN

We booked flights for a 9 day vacation. Bought 3 one way tickets from Indianapolis to Tampa then bought 3 one ways from Orlando to Indy. After booking flights we found out that the rental car company would charge more money to pickup at the Tampa airport and drop off at the Orlando airport. It was a BREEZE to get on the Southwest website and change the return flights departure from Orlando to Tampa. The tickets were actually $54 cheaper! Although we didn't get the $54 back, Southwest will take that off my step-sons next flight to see his father if I buy his ticket. Changing reservations is EASY! To top things off, after booking the rental car, coincidently we get an email from Southwest offering a special rental car rate. Followed the links and wound up getting a rental car for $87 cheaper than booking through Orbitz! Cancelled the Orbitz rental car reservation and booked with Southwest. Win! Win! situation! Vacation isn't for another 5 days so I have no current review of the flight or boarding yet but booking is a cinch!

Makayla Holland Gaithersburg, MD

Great price and value. Think they’re one of the most competitively priced airlines. Enjoyable service.

Christopher Whiting Los Angeles, CA

Always a great experience but can be a little more expensive than other airlines. I am glad they didn't start charging for all checked baggage like other airlines. It doesn't go everywhere I have to go but I love it whenever I use it.

AF ,

My experiences on Southwest have been very good. Their prices seem very competitive and I love that you can bring a bag and even change your flight (I know some other airlines are now doing that because of Covid, but I haven't been flying at all since the pandemic). You really feel like you can book a flight with confidence. The only thing I don't like is that you can't pick your seat.... I just don't understand that!

Wayne Young Little Rock, AR

Southwest knows how to to do air travel right. Their on boarding system is the best, although I think we could do better by just having people called up by their number. Their staff are all great, prices are great and their flights are reliable.

Jaelynn Florence Tallahassee, FL

Southwest has great customer service and the rates of flights are affordable.

Sheryl Wilson

I like Southwest because there are no hidden fees. You are allowed two pieces of luggage and a carry on at no extra charge. There ticket prices are competitive. The only draw back is you can't choose your own seat. However, if you check in early you have no problem getting a seat together. I would rather have the other perks I mentioned at first.

Cheryl Buckley Spanish Fork, UT

I love to fly Southwest airlines! They provide reasonably priced airfare with quality service. I can always count on a pillow and blanket and friendly flight attendants! I feel safe and well taken care of! They begin serving snacks quickly and efficiently! I have always retrieved my bags in a timely fashion! They keep you informed of your progress on your trip! Southwest airlines is one of my top choices when choosing an airline to fly with!

Kim Tempe, AZ

I absolutely love Southwest, no matter how many of my flights have been delayed. Delayed flights are a big issue, but it happens everywhere. The great thing is that SW is willing to fix most issues within reason. I have received flight vouchers without even asking. My daughter and I fly SW at least 10 times a year, she is a minor and has been flying on her own for 4 years and have never had any issues. Flights can be very inexpensive and CC and Rapid Rewards points help. Highly recommend Southwest airlines.

Tara Furcini Scottsdale, AZ

Had a flight unavoidably delayed- airplane maintenance/repair, I understand that's necessary sometimes and can't always be predicted. Delay did make me late for work that day, but I hadn't complained to anyone...only a day or two later I received a flight voucher compensating me for the inconvenience, from their Proactive Solutions Department! What can I say but I was pleasantly stunned that any company has one of those!...and I hope that soon EVERY company will! What enormous goodwill that gesture bought from me- especially in an industry famous for the opposite. I <3 Southwest!

Rob Malta, OH

I've flown with Southwest several times in the past year. I found the entire ticketing purchase process through the in-flight service, boarding process, and customer assistance service to be top notch. I liked the boarding process because it's simple and easy to follow, and depends on the flyers to be responsible for their own boarding. In general, we flyers are congenial, friendly, fair, and helpful to each other during the process; it's a great experience to view and take part in.

Ray Gayton San Diego, CA

My trip was from San Diego to Austin. I had a middle seat which would normally be uncomfortable for someone my height. The Southwest seats are so comfortable it was not a problem. The flight attendants had a smile the entire flight on my outbound and inbound routes. I usually fly one of the other carriers but from now on, Southwest will be my first choice airline.