Lufthansa Logo

6.6

LAST UPDATED: July 4th, 2021

Lufthansa is an airline based in Germany that offers flights across the globe. With low ticket prices and numerous airline groups providing aircraft for added flight options, Lufthansa does all it can to give passengers the best flying experience possible.

View Best Airlines

Delta Airlines Logo
#2 Delta Airlines chevron_right
JetBlue Logo
#3 JetBlue chevron_right

The Good

• Affordable Tickets
  • Baggage Allowance
  • Check-In and Boarding
  • On-Time Percentage
  • In-Flight Services

Affordable Tickets

Large airlines like Lufthansa, with multiple airline groups associated with it, have the ability to offer cheaper ticket prices compared to many smaller airlines. This is simply because they have more flight options than the smaller companies which are restricted by where and when they fly.

When searching for ticket prices with Lufthansa, customers can even use a best-price search tool on the website. This tool is convenient for customers as they are searching for numerous different flights at different times.

Lufthansa will provide a list of departure locations and destinations and a handful of different flexible flight times then show the cheapest flight options as well as the cost for other flight options. By doing this (best price search) Lufthansa can provide potential flyers with the very best deal available using their airline.

Compared to other airlines, Lufthansa has on average cheaper ticket prices but that, of course, is varied on the destination and time of the flight.

Baggage Allowance

The allows passengers one checked bag weighing up to 23 kg (50 lbs) to be checked into the flight for free. Travelers are also allowed a carry on item that will remain with them throughout the duration of the flight and is the customer's own responsibility.

As a bonus for riding in upper cabin classes, business class is allowed two bags up to 32 kg (70 lbs)  and first class passengers are allowed three.

For baggage that is larger than the allowance, an excess baggage fee will be charged. The fee amount will depend on the size of the excess luggage as well as the cabin class of the customer and whether the flight is flying domestically or international.

Check-In and Boarding

The boarding process for many airline companies is standard and the difference comes in how easy a company can make the process for their passengers. Lufthansa allows their customers to check-in for a flight both online and in person at the gate. For boarding, Lufthansa now offers priority boarding for all European flights. Quick boarding is also an option for travelers who have purchased a boarding pass with a barcode to board the aircraft quickly and conveniently.

Lufthansa also provides an on-screen display of waiting lists directly at each of their departure gates, allowing customers to know when and how long it will take to board a flight.

Compared to other airlines, this boarding process seems much more comfortable than many competitors. It gives passengers clear instructions about how the boarding process works, and what to expect at the airport for any given flight.

On-Time Percentage

The daily flight statistics are important to compare to other airline companies to show whether or not a business is keeping up with the competition in various components. Lufthansa has an on-time flight statistic of 81% (according to Flightstats.com). When compared to other airlines, this is a fairly average statistic, meaning Lufthansa is neither excelling nor failing their customers by their on-time flight average.

Many airlines are within the eighty percent range, with companies who have excellent statistics in the high eighties, and companies with poor on-time flight statistics in the seventies. In addition, Lufthansa has only an eight percent late flight statistic which shows that most routes stay on tight schedules.

When comparing Lufthansa's twenty most active flight routes, all destinations were located in Europe. This can mean that flexibility in flight offerings to destinations outside of Europe is limited.

In-Flight Services

As with the majority of carriers, in-flight services offer a chance to stand out and show their customers their level of service. Lufthansa is no different and serves their business and first class passengers gourmet cuisine on fine china. The difference with economy class is that meal choices are slightly varied and come with fewer options.

In addition to the gourmet cuisine, Lufthansa airlines also serve their travelers an award-winning selection of wine. In addition to the long-haul flights that receive these culinary meals, short-haul flights are also served small snacks or sandwiches depending on the destination to which the flight is headed.

Along with the food, Lufthansa airlines provide their passengers with many options for entertainment. Aircrafts flying long-distance routes are equipped with in-seat television screens to show movies, television shows, and games. Medium-haul routes provide their passengers with an entertainment app that is downloadable to any mobile device and allows customers to view the entertainment selection while on board a Lufthansa flight.

The Bad

• Limited US Departures
  • Hidden Cities Lawsuit

Limited US Departures

While Lufthansa Group is a huge European carrier, with service to four continents, US customers won't have tons of options. The airline only flies into about 15 US cities.

Hidden Cities Lawsuit

In 2019, Lufthansa brought a lawsuit against a customer who chose to disembark on the layover of a cheaper flight, rather than book a more expensive flight to his destination.

The Bottom Line

We do not currently recommend Lufthansa as a top airline company. They are a good, not great, option for choosing an airline (especially if you are traveling to or from Europe).

View Best Airlines

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

When I was living in Europe I flew Lufthansa all the time and always had a great experience. I have flown all around Europe as well as to the states and back without any issues. The flight staff was always top notch and helpful with any requests. You do pay a little more for the flights but it is well worth the price. If you have the chance to take a Lufthansa flight take it as you won't regret it.

Jeff D Scottsdale, AZ

Ok, so the seats are rock hard, you’ll get over it. LH is my preferred carrier to Europe. I’ve been flying them for years. The extent to which LH will make things work for you is impressive. Several times, I’ve arrived late into FRa or MUC and been picked up at the side of the plane, taken, with my bag to a connecting flight and onward to my destination. I was stuck in Europe Sept 11, when I finally got a reservation home, I kissed my poor bag good bye thinking I’d not ever see it again. Poof, it made it. Once you get past the sometimes a bit stiff presentation and hard seats, you’ll see Lufthansa is a flying machine. Things to watch for with LH. If there’s a pilots strike situation, you can easily get caught missing flights. Don’t expect flexibility, if the ticket says you’re on the 2:30 flight, don’t be thinking you can arrive early and squeeze on an earlier flight, no sir. And yes, something moves around in the Frankfurt airport every time I go through there. Lounges in FRA and MUC are quite nice, with real food ( not just rabbit snacks, take note UA). Arrive a bit early and relax. Think of how much you enjoyed that strict 3rd grade teacher when you were a kid, and dint let the initial stiffness get to you. There’s comfort in knowing rules are rules.

Edith O'Halloran Englewood, CO

Lufthansa offers over seas travel at reasonable prices. My husband traveled after her had been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis. The staff was very welcoming and strived to accommodate my husband with all of his oxygen equipment and batteries that were required for him to be able to travel safely and comfortably. The room available on board was more than sufficient so that one is able to relax and rest on such a long flight. The food offerings were excellent and served at a pleasing temperature. The offer of clean and comfortable pillows and blankets were always available. the staff is very well trained and efficient. The airline is on time and very proficient. I never felt rushed or crunched while working with them. I recommend this airline any time one has the chance to fly with them.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

As a European based airlines, I've been able to fly Lufthansa only a select amount of times. However, while traveling with them, I thoroughly enjoyed my experience. Their prices are a bit more than other airlines but you are paying for what you get, which is a nicer experience.

Julia UP Southbury, CT

Best European airlines company, great service, food, always on time

Logan Hudson Norcross, GA

I have not been a paying customer on Lufthansa, but I have flown with the airline. It is such a nice airline with high quality aircraft. Everything is clean and the attendants are beyond helpful and nice. I would highly recommend flying with them.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I can see why Lufthansa has such great reviews from first hand experience. I used to fly a lot because I was on a sports team and they were very efficient in an easy boarding process, friendly staff and attendants, clean and well maintained planes, very comfortable seating and all my take offs and landings have been very smooth so great pilots.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

We flew on Luthansa from New York to Barcelona, Spain for under $500 round trip. I really enjoyed the Lufthansa lounge that we waited in before our flight. It was like a vacation before the vacation. The flight attendants were very kind and helpful and we enjoyed the food on board as well.

Larry Hawker Las Vegas, NV

I recently had to make a change to a flight due to a medical issue. The customer service was excellent. The representative could not have been more understanding of the unique situation. I was able to re-book to my satisfaction and for a small but fair fee. I was very happy with my experience and look forward to flying again with Lufthansa!

Maryayb Draper, UT

We had a very short connection in Milan and our luggage did not make it with us to Paris but they gave us a toiletry kit and allowed us to purchase items we needed which they reimbursed us for 100%. And had our luggage delivered to our hotel within a few hours. They turned a difficult situation around very quickly.

CoasterRider Show Low, AZ

I've taken several trips on Lufthansa and all were good experiences. Clean, friendly and on time. What more could you ask for?

Mr. E Cheshire, CT

Lufthansa left us stranded in Romania after a severe blizzard affected the region. All the roads leading to the airport in Bucharest were closed, as in literally closed—by the police. The trains were also not running. We were stuck in Constanta, which is 2 hours away by car. Naturally, we thought Lufthansa would rebook us on our flight to New York at no extra charge. As it turns out, the airport staff was able to clear the runway (because it’s easier to clear runways at an airport than the highways of an entire country) and the plane was able to depart after a few hour delay. We weren’t able to get back to Bucharest for 2 more days after that. Lufthansa refused to rebook us. They wanted to charge us all the penalties normally associated with rebooking. After all was said and done, it was cheaper to book a new ticket to New York with Air Berlin. I sued Lufthansa in small claims court in Queens, NY. I lost because I cashed a small check they sent for the ‘inconvenience’. Despite receiving emails from their staff that I would be reimbursed in full for the flight, the sleazy lawyer who obviously had never been to Bucharest, as evidenced by him repeatedly saying Budapest (which is in Hungary), lied and said that I was offered a return flight free of charge. Even the Judge had to ask him “why would they pay for a new flight with another airline if you were offering them a flight free of charge”, to which the sleaze replied “you’d have to ask them”. In the end, they won on a technicality. When I signed and cashed the check, there was a disclaimer in the small print which I failed to read. It basically stated that by cashing the check, I gave up my right to sue them. Oh well, it wasn’t all a loss. I may have had to buy a new ticket, but they also had to pay 2 lawyers presumably more than that to defend the case. Sleazy company. I would never fly with them again.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

I flew Lufthansa about 2 years ago from Frankfurt, Germany to Wroclaw Poland. The flight was very smooth and the service was easy enough for a foreigner to communicate with flight attendants.

Lynn Steiden

There is no way they could improve. VERY clean planes; personable flight attendants; on time; good food and drink; comfortable seating

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

The plane was very spacious, the staff was very attentive, and I had a great trip overall. It was comfortable and the pilot knew exactly what he was doing.

Rocio Diaz Jacksonville, FL

One the best European airlines I’ve ever been on. Definitely recommend trying to go on the two story Lufthansa plane, unforgettable experience with amazing service and staff.

Kathryn American Fork, UT

My absolute favorite airline to fly in Europe. Excellent service and high quality. Everything was clean and the pilot and attendants were very professional.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

The flights were on time. Both the airport and flight crew were courteous and helpful. The food was decent. The inflight entertainment was easy to use and had a good variety.

Sierra Beck Herriman, UT

I took a Lufthansa flight in Germany on one of my vacations and it was a great experience. The plane was nice and clean and the staff was very nice and attentive.

Ernest Quirindongo Tallahassee, FL

Lufthansa was an overall great experience. There was no delay in my flight and the snacks were really good!

Jake Baleyev Madison, MS

I’ve only been on Lufthansa flight a few times, they have been fairly positive experiences. Good service, food, & especially good for kids.

Jon Robinson Riverton, UT

Lufthansa is a great option when flying internationally, especially within Europe. They take good care of the passangers.

Madison Kneiss Long Beach, MS

my husband flies with this airline all the time from saudi to the US. He absolutely loves the flights and the staff. keep up the good work.

Tom Pleasant Grove, UT

Very efficient and dependable. I like their business like attitude, but at the same time making sure everything is perfect for the traveler.

Cim Carver Cheyenne, WY

I’ve only flown Lufthansa one time, but it was a good experience. Nice equipment and courteous employees.

Michelle Schow Saratoga Springs, UT

Lufthansa has great flight options for travel within Europe. They are reliable and take good care of their passengers.

Rebecca Managua, MN

Lufthansa has some really good traveling deals within Europe. It makes traveling affordable.

Isabel Managua, MN

Lufthansa is a great airline. I used it in Europe and they have awesome deals available.

Kathryn Robinson Riverton, UT

Lufthansa makes international travel a very comfortable and enjoyable experience.

David Hieronymus Dallas, OR

excellent service; make one feel at home

wilfriede E McCreadie

excellent service from takeoff to arrival

Dennis & Heidi Denver, CO

Food great ,Seats great ,Flieght fantastik and safe

abby becht Pleasant Grove, UT

Great airline for long distance travel or international travel. Very professional in their service.

Haidyn Houtz South Jordan, UT

I do not recommend this airline. The flight attendants were all that friendly on my flight and the flight was really not smooth.

Sindy

Absolutely amazing experience. Would definitely use them again.