Hawaiian Airlines

Hawaiian Airlines Logo

7.3

Hawaiian Airlines

You can earn 35,000 bonus miles

Hawaiian Airlines is a large commercial airline that serves Hawaii. Being a regional carrier, it is also the eighth largest commercial airline in the United States. It is headquartered in Honolulu. Its two biggest hubs are at Honolulu International Airport and Kahului Airport on Maui. Mark Dunkerley is the CEO of Hawaiian Holdings, the company that owns Hawaiian Airlines. Hawaiian Airlines is arguably the safest airline in the industry. They've never had a fatal accident or a plane loss. It is the oldest airline in the country that boasts of such a safety record. Also, it is number two in terms of being an on-time carrier. Its rival Aloha Airlines is the number one on-time airline in the industry. Travel and Leisure, Zagat, and Condé Nest Traveler have also rated Hawaiian airlines the best carrier that serves Hawaii. Another nice thing about Hawaiian Airlines is that they have partnered extensively with other airlines with its rewards program. If you fly JetBlue, American Airlines, Delta, and other carriers, it may be possible to earn and redeem partner miles for certain Hawaiian Airline flights.

The Good

• Ticket prices
  • Flight statistics
  • In-flight services
  • Time in business
  • Awards

Hawaiian Airlines offers average ticket prices. They are not generally the cheapest option for a ticket, but they are also far from the most expensive. For both domestic and international flights this seemed to be true. Even within Islands of Hawaii, Hawaiian Airlines was occasionally beat out by other airlines. Hawaii Airlines is a great airline for earning different rewards and mile points which would help make their ticket prices even lower. They even allow mile points to be earned and redeemed from some of their partnering airlines.

Hawaiian Airlines is number two in terms of being the most on-time airline with their daily flights. Overall (according to Flightstats.com), they were 86% on time. 6% late, 2% very late, and 3% excessively late. This is a higher on-time percentage than the majority of all other airlines. They also have 0% of canceled and diverted flights. When looking at their most active routes, they have quite a variety of rated flights. Their top flights range from high 4 stars all the way to a 1.5 star rated flight from San Diego to Honolulu. Their top flights include:

• Honolulu to Kailua-Kona (4.7 stars, 96% on time)
• Honolulu to Kauai Island (4.7 stars, 94% on time)
• Honolulu to Kahului (4.6 stars, 95% on time)

It is interesting to note that the majority of their high-rated flights are around the Hawaiian Islands, and their lower rated flights are to other destinations. Flights in and around Hawaii are their strongest areas.

In-flight services for Hawaiian Airlines are standard. They include the following:
• Food and Beverages: Hawaiian Airlines offers all complimentary meals, beverages and snacks on board. This complimentary dining is better than a lot of other airlines. The menu for Hawaiian Airlines varies based on the destination but they are also served by top chiefs taking airline food to the next level. They also have a variety of drinks to go along with the meals served.
• Entertainment: The in-flight entertainment offered on Hawaiian Airlines is similar to those offered on other airlines. They offer a large variety of the top movies, TV shows, music and games on a personal screen located on the back of the seat. On the Boeing B767, personal tablets are available for passengers to rent that come preloaded with the new movies, games and shows. Hawaiian Airlines does not offer Wi-Fi as many of the top airlines do.
• Pau Hana Cart: Along with the other amenities, Hawaiian Airlines also offers a cart full of different items for passengers to purchase for themselves or for others as gifts. They include different snack items, pillows, blankets, and headphones.
• Duty Free Shopping: As is typical of most airlines, Hawaiian Airlines also offers tax-free shopping to passengers from their catalog. Passengers can choose different items as souvenirs for themselves or others while on the flight.

Hawaiian Airlines has been in business for almost 87 years. This makes them one of the oldest airlines in the industry. They have been in business longer than many of the top airlines and much longer than a number of the smaller airlines. They are Hawaii's largest and longest serving airline and they carry over 10 million guests a year. They are also arguably the safest airline in the industry. They have never had a fatal accident or lost a plane. Hawaiian Airlines has also won a number of other awards for their services. A few of them include:

• Travel+leisure's World's Best Awards: Best Airlines
• Zagat: Premium U.S. Airline
• U.S. Department of transportation: #1 On-Time Performance
• Forbes: World's Most Punctual Airline

There are a number of other awards won by Hawaiian Airlines for their performance over the last 86 years.

The Bad

• Baggage
  • Check-in
  • Destinations

Unfortunately, Hawaiian Airlines does not offer any free baggage on either domestic or international flights. There are certain airlines that do allow for free checked baggage, making Hawaiian Airlines at a disadvantage. There is a fee for all baggage whether on flights to and within Hawaii or places farther.

When checked bags exceed 50lbs, there will be an additional excess baggage fee that will vary based on how heavy the bag is. It ranges from $25 to $200 a bag. Similarly, there will be a varying fee for baggage that exceeds their normal linear dimension of 62 inches.

Seats are selected or changed at check-in so that passengers know where they are headed when they board the airplane. Hawaiian Airlines also offers a few different ways for passengers to check-in for their flight and proceed to boarding the plane. They allow passengers to check-in online up to 24 hours before their departure date and also allow them to pay their baggage fees online making the airport process even easier. There is also check-in kiosks and counters available at the airport. These options are standard for most airlines. Hawaiian Airlines actually offers fewer check-in options than many other airlines. There was no mention of mobile check-in and they were not very clear on the times check-in and boarding need to be completed. There was no specification about the online or at airport check-in process without having ticket information to complete an actual check-in. Reservations for certain seats can be made, although not online. Reservations can only be made over the phone with Hawaiian Airlines.

Hawaiian Airlines specializes in flights around the Hawaiian Islands. They fly to every major Island in Hawaii. They also fly to 28 other international destinations. They include cities in the following areas:

• North America
• Asia
• South Pacific

This makes Hawaiian Airlines a very small airline. When compared to larger airlines, who have over 300 destinations, they are very small. Even when compared to other small airlines, 28 destinations is very small. Hawaiian Airlines also offers more travel options through their partnering airlines. They partner with the following airlines:

• All Nippon Airways
• American Airlines
• China Airlines
• JetBlue
• Korean Air
• Virgin America
• Virgin Atlantic
• Virgin Australia

When flying with many of these partnering airlines, Hawaiian Airlines also allows passengers to earn HawaiianMiles for rewards.

The Bottom Line

We felt that Hawaiian Airlines had pretty good services and deals for customers. Overall, we felt like the travel insurance was a bit on the pricier side. We also felt like the lack of Wi-Fi was a big detractor. However, for island hopping and traveling to and from the Mainland, we felt like Hawaiian Airlines was a good fit.

Bella Houtz
August 17th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I just flew to Hawaii on this airline a couple weeks ago. Flights were on time they were friendly had good snacks. Plane was old but ok flight was good. It was average pricing.

Joe Araki
August 6th, 2018 Pacific Palisades, CA DETAILS

This airline has been consistently on-time, early arrival, treat their customers with respect, always friendly, still serves complimentary meal, comfortable seating, does not squeeze their passengers like sardines.

Jesse Stout
August 1st, 2018 Salinas, CA DETAILS

Excellent service. Comfortable seating and great Hawaiian abionce. Would recommend them to everyone.

Karen Nelson
July 27th, 2018 Alpine, UT

This has always worked well for us. They people associated with this airline have always been helpful and friendly. I think part of the reason I like them is just because I love going to Hawaii and the name of their airlines is "Hawaiian." It just makes me happy.

Sara Jane
July 26th, 2018 Crestwood, KY

Absolutely lovely. I have never been on a flight quite like my Hawaiian Airlines flight. Staff was kind, welcoming, and the flight was genuinely great.

Tanner Hales
July 19th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Good value. May not be the cleanest, or the cheapest at times, but I have never had any missed flights or misplaced bags. I would take them over many other airlines if I had to choose because of the reliability.

Kaleb Herbert
July 9th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I flew into Maui with no stops, which was so nice, It was a long flight, but the plane was big so seemed very spacious. The service was very good and everyone was friendly. My luggage made it safe. I loved having an assigned seat. Overall a great trip.

Jess Root
July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

The seats were worn out, but the food was fine and the people were friendly. Was pleased they offered an actual meal.

Brayden D.
June 20th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Hawaiian Airlines is as perfect as it sounds. It’s my go to airline and it has never disappointed me.

Jani Crawley
June 12th, 2018 New York, NY

Our flight was more than 2 hours delayed and then sat on the tarmac for another 30 mins before we could deplane. The worst part was waiting for strollers took so long that the entire crew had left the plane! The parents with screaming children at 2 a.m. were left to wait in the jet way. Not ideal

James Crawley
June 12th, 2018 New York, NY

I flew back from Hawaii on Hawaiian Airlines last summer and it was awful. The plane was old and the seats weren't comfortable. The flight was really delayed and the crew was impatient and unprofessional. I stepped off the plane in LAX vowing to never fly them again.

CAROLE SCOVILLE
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love Hawaiian – their stewardesses are always very nice, and I like the tropical snacks they give

betsy fowler
June 11th, 2018 Lehi, UT

I love Hawaiian Airlines! They serve guava and mango juice on all of their flights, and the flight attendants wear Hawaiian shirts!

Bella Houtz
June 5th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Hawiian Airlines is a great option. They have great customer service and ate really safe.

Sadie Scoville
June 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I flew to Hawaii on this airline and the people are so so so nice and are so sweet to you and offer you drinks that other airlines don't have.

Martha Sensiba
June 4th, 2018 Pinetop-Lakeside, AZ DETAILS

We use Hawaiian Airlines whenever we fly to Hawaii. I feel like we are getting the Hawaiian experience even before we get there.

Nana Asiata
June 4th, 2018 Herriman, UT DETAILS

They have amazing staff that are always there to help you with any problems that you might have. They flight attendance are always kind.

Avery Fowler
May 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Only giving this a 3 star because of the size of the plane. I felt cramped in the plane but I believe it was the only one that flew to my destination.

Joanna Hester
May 29th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

We have flown to Hawaii several times and always use Hawaiian Air. They have the best atmosphere to welcome you to Hawaii and great prices on top of it!

Ashley
May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have only flown Hawaiian Airlines once and our plane was delayed for over two hours.

May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Hawaiian air lines made me feel like I was going to a tropical island. They bring the spirit of Hawaii out in everything they do. It was the memory of a lifetime.

May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

My experience with Hawaiian airlines was fantastic. I just wish there were more flights out of Salt Lake City Utah.

Elyse Bradley
May 2nd, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Only flown once, RT from Maui to Oahu, but we had a good quick flight with no problems or delays. The price was decent, and the juice they serve on-flight is also pretty tasty!

katiec
April 30th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love Hawaiian airlines! The staff is friendly, they feed you on all flights, and the experience on each flight gets you ready for your Hawaii trip.

Dallin Smith
April 25th, 2018 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

I flew with them last year and was not very pleased. First of my flight was delayed. Then the flight attendants weren't the friendliest and there plane was very claustorphobic.

Tera
April 17th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I took Hawaiian Airlines back when I was in junior high my family went to Hawaii. It was a very good Airline. I remember having very good experience with the airline. One of my fondest memories was getting off the airline and they greeted us all with Hawaiian leis to go on all the passengers that were traveling on that airline that day. It was a very wonderful experience I'd recommend Hawaiian Airlines to anybody.

Erin Rhoton
April 16th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Hawaiian Airlines was a fantastic experience! It had the best food and juice options! I loved that they gave authentic POG juice and sweet Maui onion chips. It really made us excited to get to Hawaii! All of the flight attendants are happy and helpful.

Hayden Danger Barton
April 16th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

Old school. It your average airliner!!!

Maryayb
April 11th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

Love this airline! Award tickets are usually quite reasonable and the selection of Hawaiian juices are a nice touch!

Anne Marie Milne
April 10th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I traveled with Hawaiian Airlines my first trip to Hawaii with my whole family. What an incredible experience. I can't say enough about the flight attendants. Sweet, kind, genuion, they very always asking what they could do to make us more comfortable. Pillows, blankets, ear plugs, earphones for a movie ?. Had conversations with us about our lives, why we were traveling where we were. Can't say enough good things. Landed on time. Left on time!!!!! The best experience!!!!! ☺

Brette
April 10th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

I was only on a flight for an hour and I was very impressed with their service and yummy complimentary food and drinks

Charlotte Ash
December 19th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

It was great to catch a flight to the different island. The service was great and flight attendants were helpful and friendly.

Kimberly Bronson
December 11th, 2017 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS

Found their prices to be much higher than others. Great flight though and great service.

Sean Flandermeyer
November 14th, 2017 Menifee, CA DETAILS

On time, cleanliness professional staff, price.

Low
November 14th, 2017 Honolulu, HI DETAILS

Prompt and courteous service and always on time if not earlier

LQMacLuvr
November 14th, 2017 Pomona, CA DETAILS

Nothing special. No better or worse than any other U.S. carrier that flies to HI. Uncomfortable seats, and nickling passengers to view movies. Really?

Bruce Carvajal
November 14th, 2017 San Diego, CA DETAILS

Service, Service, Service, On time, Clean airplanes

Abbey Richards
November 6th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

The flights on Hawaiian air are sort. The stewardesses were dressed up, which was nice. They gave us this Hawaiian juice too, which was yummy. I wish they served water though. The seats are hard and there is no tray table or pockets on the seats. The flights are short though like I said, so it really wasn't that bad of a flight.

Gary Mayer
November 6th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

great experience flying between islands while on vacation Their service is first class and the employees are super friendly. Would highly recommend hem to anyone.

Stevie
November 2nd, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

It was a quick flight between islands so the seats did not have padded head rests and there are no TVs but they are not needed. Service was good. Did charge us for bags, which is a bonus!