Hawaiian Airlines Logo

Hawaiian Airlines

Is This Your Business?

7.2

LAST UPDATED: August 30th, 2021

Hawaiian Airlines is a large commercial airline that serves Hawaii. Being a regional carrier, it is also the eighth largest commercial airline in the United States. It is headquartered in Honolulu. Its two biggest hubs are at Honolulu International Airport and Kahului Airport on Maui. Mark Dunkerley is the CEO of Hawaiian Holdings, the company that owns Hawaiian Airlines.

Hawaiian Airlines is arguably the safest airline in the industry. It has never had a fatal accident or a plane loss. It is the oldest airline in the country that boasts of such a safety record.

Also, it is number two in terms of being an on-time carrier. Its rival Aloha Airlines is the number one on-time airline in the industry.

Travel and Leisure, Zagat, and Condé Nest Traveler have also rated Hawaiian airlines the best carrier that serves Hawaii.

Another nice thing about Hawaiian Airlines is its extensive partnerships with other airlines with its rewards program. If you fly JetBlue, American Airlines, Delta, and other carriers, it may be possible to earn and redeem partner miles for certain Hawaiian Airline flights.

Keep reading for the pros and cons of flying with Hawaiian, plus Hawaiian Airlines reviews from real customers.

View Best Airlines

Delta Airlines Logo
#2 Delta Airlines chevron_right
JetBlue Logo
#3 JetBlue chevron_right

The Good

• Ticket Prices
  • Rewards Program and Points
  • Flight Statistics
  • In-Flight Services
  • Time in Business
  • Industry Awards and Reputation

Ticket Prices

Hawaiian Airlines offers average ticket prices. While not generally the cheapest option for a ticket, Hawaiian is far from the most expensive. For both domestic and international flights this seems to be true. Even within the Islands of Hawaii, Hawaiian Airlines was occasionally beat out by other airlines.

Rewards Program and Points

Hawaii Airlines is a great airline for earning different rewards and mile points which would help make ticket prices even lower. The carrier even allows points to be earned and redeemed from some of their partnering airlines.

Flight Statistics

Hawaiian Airlines is number two in terms of being the most on-time airline with their daily flights. According to Flightstats.com:

• 86% on time
  • 6% late
  • 2% very late
  • 3% excessively late.

This is a higher on-time percentage than the majority of all other airlines. It also has 0% canceled and diverted flights. When looking at its most active routes, there is a bit of variation. Top flights range from 4 stars all the way to a 1.5 star rated flight from San Diego to Honolulu.

Top flights include:

• Honolulu to Kailua-Kona (4.7 stars, 96% on time)
  • Honolulu to Kauai Island (4.7 stars, 94% on time)
  • Honolulu to Kahului (4.6 stars, 95% on time)

It is interesting to note that the majority of high-rated flights are around the Hawaiian Islands, and lower rated flights are to outside destinations.

Flights in and around Hawaii are their strongest areas.

In-Flight Services

With one exception, in-flight services for Hawaiian Airlines are standard. They include the following:

• Food and Beverages: Hawaiian Airlines offers complimentary meals, beverages, and snacks on board. This complimentary dining is better than a lot of other airlines. The menu varies based on the destination, but they are also served by top chefs, taking airline food to the next level. A variety of drinks are available to go along with the meals served.
  • Entertainment: Hawaiian Airlines' in-flight entertainment is similar to services offered on other airlines, with a large variety of the top movies, TV shows, music and games on a personal screen located on the back of the seat. On the Boeing B767, personal tablets are available for passengers to rent that come preloaded with the new movies, games, and shows.
  • Wi-Fi: Hawaiian Airlines does not offer Wi-Fi as many of the top airlines do.
  • Pau Hana Cart: Along with the other amenities, Hawaiian Airlines also offers a cart full of different items for passengers to purchase for themselves or for others as gifts. They include different snack items, pillows, blankets, and headphones.
  • Duty-Free Shopping: As is typical of most airlines, Hawaiian Airlines also offers tax-free shopping to passengers from their catalog. Passengers can choose different items as souvenirs for themselves or others while on the flight.

Time in Business

Hawaiian Airlines has been in business for over 90 years, making it one of the oldest airlines in the industry. The company has been in business longer than many of the top airlines and much longer than a number of smaller airlines.

Industry Awards and Reputation

As Hawaii's largest and longest-serving airline, over 10 million guests are transported each year.

It is arguably the safest airline in the industry, with no fatal accidents or plane losses.

Hawaiian Airlines has also won a number of other awards for their services. A few of them include:

• Travel+leisure's World's Best Awards: Best Airlines
  • Zagat: Premium U.S. Airline
  • U.S. Department of transportation: #1 On-Time Performance
  • Forbes: World's Most Punctual Airline

There are a number of other awards won by Hawaiian Airlines for their performance over the decades.

The Bad

• Baggage Fees
  • Check-In
  • Limited Destinations

Baggage Fees

Unfortunately, Hawaiian Airlines does not offer any free baggage on either domestic or international flights. There are certain airlines that do allow for free checked baggage, making Hawaiian Airlines at a disadvantage. There is a fee for all baggage whether on flights to and within Hawaii or places farther away.

When checked bags exceed 50lbs, there will be an additional excess baggage fee that will vary based on how heavy the bag is. It ranges from $25 to $200 a bag.

Similarly, there will be a varying fee for baggage that exceeds their normal linear dimension of 62 inches.

Check-In

Seats are selected or changed at check-in so that passengers know where they are headed when they board the airplane. Hawaiian Airlines also offers a few different ways for passengers to check-in for their flight and proceed to boarding the plane:

• Passengers can check-in online up to 24 hours before their departure date and pay their baggage fees online to make the airport process even easier.
  • Standard check-in kiosks and counters are available at the airport.

These options are standard for most airlines. Hawaiian Airlines actually offers fewer check-in options than many other airlines. There was no mention of mobile check-in and information was not very clear on the times check-in and boarding need to be completed. There was no specification about the online or at airport check-in process without having ticket information to complete an actual check-in. Reservations for certain seats can be made, although not online. Reservations can only be made over the phone with Hawaiian Airlines.

Limited Destinations

Hawaiian Airlines specializes in flights around the Hawaiian Islands, but it also offers routes to 28 other international destinations. These include cities in the following areas:

• North America
  • Asia
  • South Pacific

When compared to larger airlines with more than 300 destinations, Hawaiian is very small. Even when compared to other small airlines, 28 destinations is very small. However, Hawaiian Airlines does offer more travel options through its partnering airlines:

• All Nippon Airways
  • American Airlines
  • China Airlines
  • JetBlue
  • Korean Air
  • Virgin America
  • Virgin Atlantic
  • Virgin Australia

When flying with many of these partnering airlines, Hawaiian Airlines also allows passengers to earn HawaiianMiles for rewards.

The Bottom Line

Hawaiian Airlines has pretty good services and deals for customers. Overall, we felt like the travel insurance was a bit on the pricier side. We also felt like the lack of Wi-Fi was a big detractor. However, for island hopping and traveling to and from the Mainland, we felt like Hawaiian Airlines was a good fit.

View Best Airlines

MoMo Fort Wayne, IN

We went on a trip to Hawaii and they supplied awesome snacks that were Hawaiian oriented. Also offered a free alcoholic drink called Hawaiian Punch. Very nice people as well. Great flight

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

I absolutely love flying Hawaiian! The flight attendants are always so kind and helpful and the plane is very comfortable and roomy. It makes a 6+ hour flight very enjoyable!

Joe Araki

Hawaiian is the best Us domestic airline. They treat their first class passengers with all around from the porter, the lines, the lounge, seating and baggage pick up. They still have decent complimentary meals for the regular passengers and minimal mess compare to other flights with disastrous trash and spillage due to customers bringing their food. The smell is also a bit disgusting. Hawaiian also has the ideal legroom and seat space. I cannot believe some of the airlines are going to even reduce seat space. I really think that this is not very healthy and mentally especially flights for more than an hour. No wonder there are more disturbed and frustrated passengers. Hawaiian has the best pilots. Best landings even during windy conditions. Always on time and early arrivals. The flight attendants are amazing and friendly. They understand the meaning of Aloha spirit.

Marty Martins San Diego, CA

I have been flying Hawaiian since the mid-‘90s and use them at least once a year, most recently this past April. Hawaiian is the only airline I like to fly to Hawai‘i. I like the Hawaiian music while boarding and the pretty Hawaiian flight attendants with a flower in their hair. I like the free Hawaiian cultural shows on the TV and the map that keeps you updated of the plane's progress over the ocean. Sorry that they started charging for the previously free movie, but pay-for-view does give you more options. Although I think even Hawaiian has tightened up their seating, it still seems roomier than most or all of the competition. Once I needed to go to O‘ahu and Alaskan had just opened service there from my airport and was offering a special reduced “introductory” price. Big mistake! It was like flying on Southwest for 6 hours! (And I like SWA on the mainland.) Another big Hawaiian plus: they still offer a hot meal at no additional charge. HANA HOU!, the in-flight magazine, is by-far the most beautifully laid-out magazine in the industry and always filled with meaty articles about Hawaiian personalities, history, culture, and activities. (Sometimes it even contains a valuable money-saving coupon you can use at a business in the Islands.) Finally, I like the wide-body jets they use that not only facilitate boarding and disembarking, but also provide room to walk laps once the meal service is completed. E mokulele Hawaiian!

Nancy Green Browning Vista, CA

My husband and I starting going to Hawaii in 2001, when we got married, and we flew First Class on Hawaiian Airlines because his business had a "miles card". It was the best place for us to go.....there's just something about Hawaii that is so relaxing!! We flew with Hawaiian almost every year until he passed away from cancer in 2012. We were there in 2006 when they had the big earthquakes off of the Island of Hawaii. I went back to Hawaii in 2013 to spread my husband's ashes, and am going again in November 2015 with a girlfriend. I only fly with Hawaiian when I go to Hawaii because it just makes the trip that much more "Hawaiian". I have never had any problem with any their services. The only glitch was one year when it was foggy in San Diego and we were diverted to Los Angeles. It took a very long time to get information as to our alternative transportation to get back to San Diego. We arrived in L.A. at 9 p.m. and didn't get back to San Diego until 2:30 a.m. on a Super Shuttle van. That was a long and stressful night! I have a Hawaiian Airline Miles card, which makes it convenient to buy the base ticket and upgrade to first class with my points. The only problem with that is that you have to book the base ticket online and then call to upgrade, and hope that there is a "flex" seat available, which costs fewer points. The flight attendants have always been very friendly, courteous and attentive, and the pilots are always efficient and courteous, and they get us there with the least amount of turbulence. The seats and service in first class are excellent, and the food is SO GOOD and abundant, with real plates and silverware! (although right after 9/11, they had to use plastic utensils for a year or two). I always recommend Hawaiian Airlines to my friends for a wonderful experience! Mahalo!!!

Irene Rodriguez Palmdale, CA

I absolutely love Hawaiian Airlines. I have flown Airbus and others, but feel most secure with Hawaiian Airlines. I've always felt safe, secure and their stats are beyond impressive. The pilots are so experienced and they always have the comfort and safety of the passengers in mind.The staff and food is superb. The aircraft itself is roomy and the moment you step on board, you feel as though you are already on the islands! Stepping on board Hawaiian Airlines is an adventure in itself. I plan on going to Hawaii for my honeymoon and I will book thru Hawaiian Airlines. Always Hawaiian Airlines!! Aloha!

Rodney G Los Angeles, CA

My better half and I have traveled on Hawaiian for the past two years to Maui. I can truly say, this is the BEST airlines with the best service and most friendly staff. They are attentive and are always concerned if you as a passenger are taken care of and have what you need. The planes are clean and comfortable and the food is ono! There was one trip we had to take Delta and I can tell you, I thought it was the worst trip to Maui ever, even in first class! We will continue to fly Hawaiian and take advantage of their Aloha spirit and being treated as Ohana!!! Mahalo to Hawaiian for making our trips memorable!!!

Delia R. Ricardo Laguna Beach, CA

I've been a Hawai'ian Airlines Customer for a long while now. Been taking advanatage of their many un-published specials since I moved to California. Honolulu is my Home and since My Dad died in 1994 I try to visit home avery year to spend a month with my Mom - to be there for my Dad's anniversary, Her birthday and Mother's Day - the dicounted flights absolutely help when you're spending a month at home. I can't think of one complaint to register! Complimentary food, drinks, snacks! Responsive Flight Crew. comfortable seating, the works! Baggage fees? well, every other airline carrier is worse! All thumbs up from me! Mahalo, Hawai'ian Air!

Kathy Myers Haleiwa, HI

We always try to fly Hawaiian...the crew always very friendly and helpful...they leave on time which is great and one of the few airline who still serve a hot meal included in the ticket price (maybe wine included too)...we both have the Hawaiian miles credit card and shop foodland and also with partners too add up our points...we fly at least twice a year on Hawaiian prices are good and we use airmiles too....I give alot of credit to Hawaiian airlines CEO Mr. Dunkerly...since he came on board Hawaiian has been doing way better by way of diverse routes...the added wine etc...Mahalo Hawaiian Airlines...

Valerie Misch Shingle Springs, CA

My husband and I took our 34 yr old son, who was very critically injured in a car crash 8 years ago, to Oahu last summer, on what we called our 'Celebration Vacation'. Michael had progressed so far that he would be able to fly fairly easily, even with his wheelchair. I'm a 'planner', so I did a lot of planning beforehand, to try and avert any emergencies. Hawaiian Airlines absolutely bent over backwards to make our travel as easy as possible!! We were met at the check-in desk by a very nice young man who accompanied us (pushing my son in his wheelchair) to the gate. We went through the First Class line, meaning we didn't have to wait too long. The aisle chair was waiting at the door to the plane (as we were boarding, before the other passengers) and my son easily transferred to it and was taken to his seat. The bulkhead seats had been assigned to us, because I explained his situation in detail, so we KNEW where we were sitting. The flight was wonderful, in both directions!!! Even when we got off the plane on Oahu, and realized that the backpack with ALL my son's medications had been left behind under his seat!! I was freaking out, and then someone walked over to me with the backpack... they were moving the plane, and noticed the pack, and brought it in to the Customer Service desk!!! Nothing but good things to say about Hawaiian Airlines!!!!!

Warren Takabayashi Kapaa, HI

On recent trip to Seattle there were medical emergencies on both the out bound flight and the return. In flight crew were great at handling the situation. I especially like the tutu kane or tutu wahine that greet passengers checking in at Seattle.They are very helpful at directing people to the appropriate stations along the check in process. I'm not sure if other Hawaiian stations have this but it's a nice touch. Also at the gate as people were boarding the flight, the agent that was checking in the passengers addressed each passenger by their name. I didn't get his name but it was on 09/08/2015 flight 21 to Honolulu.

Sherri Honolulu, HI

I am a grandma flying with her 1 yr. old grand daughter. The flight from HI to San Fran. was packed but the attendants helped me without even asking. They carried my carry-ons for me, put them away and just before we took off, told me I could move to the back where there was an extra seat for baby!! So very attentive to us, always offering milk or juice for baby to suck on in bottle so her ears would be ok, and even took her for a stroll around the plane to give me a little ...much appreciated...break!! Even offered to hold her for me when I had to use the bathroom. Upon arriving in SF, again, they had my stroller ready for me and my bags all waiting at the cabin door. I have never had such great service from any airlines, even when I flew 1st class! Not to mention, it is the only airline around now that has a complimentary meal...it was great! Thank you all on Hawaiian Air. so much Aloha Spirit...I recommend you to all.

Amy Marvin Kailua Kona, HI

My 83 year old mom was supposed to get curb to curb wheelchair service from Kaua'i to Kona. It was a hectic day at HNL airport due to a runway closure and she was left sitting at her gate in a regular chair and overlooked as her plane boarded and departed. We were waiting for her at the Kailua-Kona airport when we realized what had happened. All flights were full and she was then on stand-by and without a wheel chair hobbling to customer service. At that point we were able to speak with Christopher, the evening supervisor at Kona who got her on the next flight out. Without his assistance and kindness I am not sure what would have happened! Three days later she was Kaua'i bound and there was heavy rainfall with lightening and planes delayed and even cancelled. The Kailua-Kona crew put a neon vest on my mom, put her in first class and got her on an earlier flight. The Oahu crew stayed with her and got her safely to Kaua'i midst chaotic conditions. Thank you Hawaiian Airlines!

Virgil Hairgrove Morton, IL

My wife and I flew from SFO to Maui, my wife is handicapped and uses a wheelchair. On our outgoing flight we had first class seating and everyone was very gracious in assisting us and taking care of our comfort. When we returned Maui to SFO we flew coach and had seating mid cabin. I had called Hawaiian Customer Service regarding our return trip to see if we could upgrade or move to the first row in coach since my wife struggles with walking and seats were never available. I checked again at Maui airport on our departure nothing available and i was stressing out with potential problems we could have. we were paged prior to boarding and were asked to change our seating to the first row in coach. Everyone was so nice and the first class crew remembered us and came and spoke to us, we were on Maui 10 days and i know they see alot of passengers in that time frame. Going back in December and looking forward to the Hawaiian Airlines Flight!

Jeanne Spivey Glenwood, IL

My husband and I flew first class to Hawaii on September 12, 2014 to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We started off on American Airlines at Chicago's Ohare and switched to Hawaiian Airlines in Los Angeles. We were not aware we could have flown Hawaiian Airlines all the way but will do so the next time. We loved the leg room we had; the number of flight attendants that catered to us; the complimentary drinks we were given as soon as we were seated; the beautiful Hawaiian music they played; the blankets and pillows that were clean and sealed; the food was delicious and we loved watching the visual showing where we were over the ocean. Two separate passengers needed medical attention and the attendants were so calm and professional. Everything about our flight was perfect. We will go back to Hawaii and we will fly Hawaiin Airlines the entire trip. A great airline.

Jonell Guzman Pinellas Park, FL

Whenever we flew while living in Hawaii and on the mainland our experience was the best ever. when our son died in 2000 and we had to fly from the big island to Portland Oregon as it was an emergency the airline took our miles and unbeknownst to us moved us up to first class roundtrip. Hawaiian Airlines is the best to fly. When we had to move to the mainland and I had 3 large Rottweiler's (they were our family too) and it was 9/11 we didn't get out until the 15th but Clyde on the Big Island kept us informed every day as to when we could leave. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE throughout the islands the staff, pilots, crews are the BEST EVER! The food is GREAT wish you flew in Florida!

Phil B. Sales Honolulu, HI

Hawaiian Airlines is an Awesome Airline! The entire staff from Agents, Ramp Agents, Flight Attendants, Reservations, and Pilots, provide friendly service. The Aircraft has always met our expectations, and we love flying both on the Boeing and Airbus. Hawaiian has an excellent and convenient time table as well, making it very easy to travel at anytime of the day. Hawaiian Airlines always gets us to where we need to go, whether it's Inter Island, to the States, or to Asia. And Hawaiian Airlines staff does this with a smile! Why do we fly Hawaiian Airlines? Because they take good care of us! Fly Hawaiian! The Wings of The Islands!

LC Martin Las Vegas, NV

My husband and I fly Hawaiian Airlines roundtrip 4 times every year. We have been traveling to Maui on Hawaiian Airlines since 2010. Please bring back the non stop flight from Las Vegas, NV to Maui, HI. Hawaiian Airlines service and extras are the best I have ever encountered and I travel regularly for work. I would, however, change my airlines if another carrier bypassed Honolulu and flew nonstop from Las Vegas to Maui.

Beverly Weiher Tucson, AZ

I love traveling to Maui on Hawaiian Airlines! The pleasant staff and special extras, such as food, drinks and snacks, give us the "Aloha" feeling of welcome, whether we're on our way to or from the islands. I'm usually such a "wi-fi nut" but have found relaxation in listening to music and reading or watching a movie. I can definitely live without my computer and just relax in the Hawaiian atmosphere.

Charlye Kaholoa'a Waipahu, HI

I only travel on Hawaiian Air ... The people are great & make the ride enjoyable... Prices are competative with others airlines in which usually they a tad cheaper . The only problem is >>> Alot of Locals feel that the 1st bag should be free when flying on an international flight because we ALL have to take goodies for the OHANA !!! :)

Lorraine Kramer Chandler, AZ

My husband and I only fly to Hawaii with Hawaiian Airlines. It is the best airline to fly. I wish it was that we could use it all the time to different places. It is so comfortable and roomy. The food that we get is not bad at all. If you have a window sit you can even stand up at your seat that is how roomy it is. We would fly a lot more to Maui if the airline prices were cheaper. So we can't go as often as we would like. However that is the only down fall we have. Great people and a great airline. The crew is amazing on all the flights we took not one bad moment. Mahalo.

Dave Harnisch Phoenix, AZ

Since 1993 my wife and I try to get to the Hawaiian islands at least once a year. We've tried a couple of different airlines, but none of them can even remotely compare to Hawaiian Airlines. As far as we're concerned, Hawaiian Airlines is the only airline that really shows you that they care that you are a passenger of theirs and they do everything in their power to make you feel welcome and appreciated.

Tonia Pollino Habenicht Stockton, CA

We've flown Hawaiian 4 times from California to Honolulu. The first time there was a problem because I booked on-line and there wasn't an option to chose our seats. (I now always call the airline to book.) They seated us 10 rows apart. This was my husbands first flight and he was very nervous so we ended up paying to upgrade to 1st class. ($1,000!) After that we got a Hawaiian Miles credit card and we use points to upgrade (it's hard to go back to coach after flying 1st class.) We did fly over in coach once because we didn't have enough points to upgrade both ways. (They do require a lot of points to upgrade.) Flying coach was terrible. I'm short and can't see over the seat in front of me, therefore...no movie for me. There was no meal. And the music for the headphones (we had to purchase) was not great because you couldn't really hear it over the engines. We haven't flown since internet started on other airlines so I can't address that other than to say it would be nice, but since we now only go if we have enough miles to upgrade round-trip, we have the digi players and I have to say the service we've had in 1st class is spectacular. The food is good and the attendants are wonderful. I would like a better choice of things to watch on the digi player but I may download to my phone in case the choices aren't to my liking when we go back next Summer. I like that the flights have always been on time and they have never lost or damaged our luggage.

Pat Thompson Seattle, WA

From the instant that you enter the plane, you are in aloha atmosphere. Friendly crew, Hawaiian music playing, flowers in the hair. I love everything about Hawaiian airlines and is the only airline that I fly on my trips to Maui, A delicious complimentary meal is even served during the flight. I can't say enough good things about Hawaiian Airlines, they are the BEST !

Glenn Nishida Kaneohe, HI

I have been Flying Hawaiian Air Lines since 1963. I recall my first trip to Maui with my Mom and Dad. Back then I thought that DC-3 was huge! I remember that plane had those "Viewmasters" windows. I think it was five windows in one. Anyone old as me remember that? Fast froward 25 years, I'm now a young Medical sales rep. flying back and forth to most of the major islands, Service was always good. Then along came Pog. along with Kona coffee early in the morning.So good. Now it's mostly International flights as well as the Mainland flights that I fly. Service is still great. It's also nice to see all the young flight attendants that I met during the 80's and 90's still working. Although I am the only one who gained weight during that time. The new planes are quiet and roomy. My only complaint is that the seats are a bit hard. I bring a seat pad with me so it's all good. What sets Hawaiian apart is that OHANA feeling that you get while on the flights. I am a customer for life. Mahalo Hawaiian Air Lines.

dee Far Rockaway, NY

Although I usually do JFK to HNL 1-2 a year on HA, I'm going to be hesitant about flying them again, because of the nonsense they pulled on me transferring from Oahu to SFO to JFK last month. Not cool. No one had any idea where our flight connected. The connecting flight was boarding right after we landed. On top of that, we had to take a shuttle train to another terminal, then go through TSA again....where I ended up tossing a bunch of my stuff . Not cool at all, and I've filed an official complaint w/HA. If they don't do something nice for me, they'll lose us as customers. Simple. Otherwise it's a fantastic airline...

Cecil Beare Palm Desert, CA

From the ticket counter to flight attendant, you are greeted and treated with aloha. Everyone I've encountered that wears a Hawai'ian Airlines uniform has always been friendly, upbeat and as helpful as could be. The airplanes are always clean, the food (which is free on flights to/from Hawai'i) is always tasty and with the extra comfort seating, you always have a blanket. You can't beat their on time record either!

Joyce Pope Auburn, CA

Hawaiian Airlines has never disappointed me. When my son and his family moved to Hawaii, it was the logical airline to choose. Since I also travel to my timeshare in Maui, Honolulu was my transfer to this island. I always fly Hawaiian Airlines and enjoy using my miles to pay for some of my trips to Hawaii. Keep up the fantastic customer service.

Donna Kirby Temecula, CA

Aloha everyone, I like to share my experience flying Hawaiian Airlines. The moment I reach the kiosk to check I'm always greeted with a smile and someones there to help. After boarding the air craft the service personnel starts to make you feel comfortable. Hawaiian airline the only way to fly. I can not wait to take my next trip back home to Oahu. Aloha Donna

Colleen Cazimero El Cajon, CA

Hawaiian Air Lines is, as they say in Hawaii, Da' Best! They make you feel like you are in the islands the moment you step on board! Every one of the attendants treat you like you are 'ohana from the moment you board the plane! I would not and never will fly any other airline into the Islands and we have flown to Hawaii once a year for the past 16 years! Mahalo Hawaiian for your hpsitality~

RosemaryLuci Lahaina, HI

I've flown Hawaiian for over 20 years now, they are the only airlines I'll fly, from and to Maui. The service is amazing. I've flown first class and general, they are both great. They are always on time. The seats are very comfortable. Food is exceptional, especially in first class. I would recommend Hawaiian Air to everyone. Pilots are very good at their jobs. Flights are smooth and calm. I just returned from Calfornia and had another terrific trip. Enjoy your trip, FLY HAWAIIAN AIR!!

Linda Eminger Oroville, CA

We have only flown Hawaiian Airlines one time from Kona to Kauai. United was our main Carrier from the mainland and had carry on luggage. No charge! Hawaiian Airlines insisted we had to check our carry ons! I feel this is just another way for the airlines to collect money from its passengers. Other than that, I have no complaints! The flight attendants were very polite and tried to make everyone feel comfortable, We were served refreshments even though it was a short flight. I would hope the pilots were well trained and would know what to do in an emergency or water landing, Thankfully we didn't have to test their knowledge in this area. Yes, We would fly Hawaiian Airlines again anytime. PS, It would be nice to not worry about extra fees.

Glen Kumamoto Sacramento, CA

Hawaiian Air is the best option between the mainland and Hawaii. The planes are new and the service is top notch. I have flown to Hawaii on the "other" domestic airlines and they all seem to use older planes that are cramped and out of date. Hawaiian uses the newer Airbus out of Oakland and SFO and they are wide bodies so you feel like you have so much more room. Free meal is a super bonus plus the flight attendants are all awesome. I have never had a bad experience flying Hawaiian. Cost can be a little higher than the others but I never end up regretting it.

Michael Petersen El Dorado Hills, CA

We use Hawaiian at least once annually. There are reasons we no longer use the competition. The experience is first and foremost. From the moment you're greeted, it's a sense of calm and Aloha. The staff's friendliness is far above the rest. Onboard, the Aloha continues. Doesn't matter whether you sit in first class or coach. You're treated the same. Granted, the perks in first class are there and to us, worth it for the extra room, if nothing else. The food is more than acceptable and it doesn't cost. A rarity of late. The distracters are not the airline's fault. They are those of the airports. Construction being the highest on that list. Inconvenient shuttles from one place to another can be a pain. As mentioned. Not the fault of the airline but of the airport. We flown other carriers and were not as pleased with the spirit that Hawaiian provides. It's really nice to hear the music of the islands when you're on approach. It heightens the excitement and anticipation of landing in paradise!

Catherine Galeano Englishtown, NJ

The best flight I ever had both ways. I traveled from New York City to Oahu on January, 2013. I did not even know I was in a plane. It was so calm. The food was great. Everyone was nice. We traveled straight through. It was suppose to be 11 1/2 hrs. It was only 10 hrs 15 minutes (45 minutes early. Loved the flight I would recommend it to anyone. Got a very reasonable price too.

Beverly Weiher Tucson, AZ

Hawaiian Airlines is in a class by itself....way ahead of any and all competitors! I go to Maui every year to visit my nephew and until last year had always flown on another airline, often using my frequent flyer miles. From now on, it's only Hawaiian Airlines for me when going to the islands. Wonderful service and charming attendants. It makes the whole vacation start sooner and last until I disembark back home again. Thanks, Hawaiian!!

Diane Comparato Parillo Naples, FL

Absolutely the best airline both my husband and I have flown. The staff was very professional and accommodating. Food and wine was served on our flight from Oahu to Las Vegas, something no other airline includes anymore. They also served beverages throughout the flight and their individual TV's and great selection of things to watch made the trip go quickly. I wish they had a more extensive route . They would be the only airline for us.

Georgian Lacey, WA

Hawaiian Airlines is my favorite airlines and their service is awesome. The attendants really show Aloha as well as ground/terminal agents. In reading the review it was noted concerns about bringing on food and concern going through TSP. I always pack my bento and have never had any problems going thru TSP. I've also always sent family and guest flying back to Hawaii with a bento and over 20 years never had any problem with security.

Kandice Kartchner Kailua, HI

Hawaiian has outstanding service. We have never had a horrible flight with them, and always had amazing service. In fact this last trip my stewardess from the flight recognized me in Costco and said," HI!" with a genuine smile and a thoughtful way to say good to see you again! Where else can you get that kind of service? No where. I fly Hawaiian because they still care, they still give me a meal, they still have service and they very much still have that Aloha spirit always.

Alvin Chino, CA

Love the Airline overall. The wide body planes are roomy and clean compared to the other airlines. However, on a flight back to the states from Hawaii I was unable to upgrade to the "comfort seats" which I normally get due to my lower back and knee issues. When the doors were closed I noticed all of the comfort seats were empty. (more than 20) I asked why the seats were empty and he said he didn't know. I then asked the flight attendant if I could move later in the flight and he told me "No, and if you do decide to move, you will be told to return to your seat!" So I sat in an aisle seat and my right foot was run over twice during the flight by the service cart! I was told to keep my foot out of the way by the same flight attendant at which time I told him I couldn't due to my lack of mobility in my knee. Other than that, I think the airline does a great job.

Debbie Wink Phoenix, AZ

I have used Hawaiian Airlines several times to fly to Oahu. I honestly think they are the best airlines out there. The service is wonderful, they actually feed you a meal on the way, which is priceless nowadays, and the mood of the flight puts you in Hawaii hours before you get there. Being able to watch videos of Hawaii and drink the exotic drinks before I arrive is a prelude to the fun of the whole trip. Keep up the good work Hawaiian Airlines. You are number 1.

Kayla Kirk Spokane, WA

My husband, 17-year old granddaughter and I traveled from Spokane to Honolulu in April, 2015.Everyone at Hawaiian was so helpful. No craziness to check in. When it was time to come home, two Hawaiian Airlines employees gave my granddaughter and me 1:1 attention and were a big help getting our bags through the agricultural check in and onto the plane. My husband was busy with the rental car return, so we girls were very appreciative of the help. Of course I had purchased too many gifts to take home and had to check an extra bag. Wonderful trip! Aloha Hawaiian Airlines.

Barb Petaluma, CA

We've flown as a family or group of 4-6 an average of 20 times. Nothing but the best with Hawaiian. There is constant entertainment available as well as movies. They continually are serving the passengers either drinks or a meal. The baggage fees are ok, not everything is allowed in a carry on so you almost always have to pay for a bag. We flew another airline for our first trip to Hawaii, will never fly other than Hawaiian again. The airline staff is excellent.

Pali Kaaihue Honolulu, HI

Hawaiian Air is awesome. As I fly internationally just about every month, Hawaiian Air is the way to go. More room versus other airlines I've flown, air conditioning (you'd think that'd be an obvious one... try flying another airline to Japan.. it's like they put a heater on!!!), the food (you get food!) and best of all, the service. Hawaiian Air's inflight crew exemplifies the Aloha spirit and are always accommodating. 10 out of 10.

Lynda Wheeler Honolulu, HI

We love flying Hawaiian Air because it feels like we are on vacation once we get to the gate in Phoenix... wonderful staff, flight attendants and pilots. They have changed their seating assignment policy recently and they use to include free bag fees when you upgraded your seats, now that is still a charge. Otherwise it's a great airline and we never fly anything else to Hawaii.... and that is at least 2 or 3 times a year. Highly recommended!!!

Charles Vesely Ewa Beach, HI

Although we have been living in Hawaii for many years we fly directly to JFK from Honolulu a couple of times a year. We have had nothing but great service, and great crews on Hawaiian. We find that their frequent flyer program (BankO Hawaiian Airlines credit card) helps pile up the mileage. We always recommend flying Hawaiian to friends who come to visit.

Russ Fairfax, CA

I have just flown Hawaiian twice from the continental US and both times first class. Thus, any review is limited for the full airline experience. I also never check luggage. We flew first because it was affordable. I was only about twice the cost of the economy ticket. I felt the upgrade was worth it. My experience with their staff has been excellent. It is the only time I have felt like writing a letter about a positive flight attendant experience. I do wish they would upgrade the fleet for the Hawaii runs. That would give them newer aircraft with such amenities as wifi and make me feel safer (probably irrational). Boeing 787's seem ideal. All in all I will use Hawaiian Airlines for all future Hawaii trips.

Got to fly the Hawaiian Airlines twice this summer. While the flight was from one island to the other it was quick check in smooth flight and quick off boarding the flight is basic. by the time you are up its time to come down. the crew was all laid back and happy to help. it was my family and why brothers family on vacation for two weeks and the travel was made easy when you have four children. the flights were also not over booked. the only down side I think was you can't order more then 4 tickets at a time for a group so for a family as large as ours it was a bit more time consuming to book as a family but they insured we all sat as close to each other as possible.

Sarah Mercival Tallahassee, FL

The first time I studied abroad this was the airline that I had to take overall there customer service is amazing and respond time to all my questions were quick. They never had me wait or feel worried I had the best experience with them.

Beverly Schacher Long Beach, MS

I am not a fan of flying, but Hawaiian Airlines is my first choice when flying from the Main Land to Hawaii. Hawaiian Airlines has great customer service, roomier seating and an overall more pleasant experience while still offering competitive pricing.