Contact a company – $100 satisfaction guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

Hawaiian Airlines Logo

7.2

Hawaiian Airlines

You can earn 35,000 bonus miles

Hawaiian Airlines is a large commercial airline that serves Hawaii. Being a regional carrier, it is also the eighth largest commercial airline in the United States. It is headquartered in Honolulu. Its two biggest hubs are at Honolulu International Airport and Kahului Airport on Maui. Mark Dunkerley is the CEO of Hawaiian Holdings, the company that owns Hawaiian Airlines. Hawaiian Airlines is arguably the safest airline in the industry. They've never had a fatal accident or a plane loss. It is the oldest airline in the country that boasts of such a safety record. Also, it is number two in terms of being an on-time carrier. Its rival Aloha Airlines is the number one on-time airline in the industry. Travel and Leisure, Zagat, and Condé Nest Traveler have also rated Hawaiian airlines the best carrier that serves Hawaii. Another nice thing about Hawaiian Airlines is that they have partnered extensively with other airlines with its rewards program. If you fly JetBlue, American Airlines, Delta, and other carriers, it may be possible to earn and redeem partner miles for certain Hawaiian Airline flights.

The Good

• Ticket prices
  • Flight statistics
  • In-flight services
  • Time in business
  • Awards

Hawaiian Airlines offers average ticket prices. They are not generally the cheapest option for a ticket, but they are also far from the most expensive. For both domestic and international flights this seemed to be true. Even within Islands of Hawaii, Hawaiian Airlines was occasionally beat out by other airlines. Hawaii Airlines is a great airline for earning different rewards and mile points which would help make their ticket prices even lower. They even allow mile points to be earned and redeemed from some of their partnering airlines.

Hawaiian Airlines is number two in terms of being the most on-time airline with their daily flights. Overall (according to Flightstats.com), they were 86% on time. 6% late, 2% very late, and 3% excessively late. This is a higher on-time percentage than the majority of all other airlines. They also have 0% of canceled and diverted flights. When looking at their most active routes, they have quite a variety of rated flights. Their top flights range from high 4 stars all the way to a 1.5 star rated flight from San Diego to Honolulu. Their top flights include:

• Honolulu to Kailua-Kona (4.7 stars, 96% on time)
• Honolulu to Kauai Island (4.7 stars, 94% on time)
• Honolulu to Kahului (4.6 stars, 95% on time)

It is interesting to note that the majority of their high-rated flights are around the Hawaiian Islands, and their lower rated flights are to other destinations. Flights in and around Hawaii are their strongest areas.

In-flight services for Hawaiian Airlines are standard. They include the following:
• Food and Beverages: Hawaiian Airlines offers all complimentary meals, beverages and snacks on board. This complimentary dining is better than a lot of other airlines. The menu for Hawaiian Airlines varies based on the destination but they are also served by top chiefs taking airline food to the next level. They also have a variety of drinks to go along with the meals served.
• Entertainment: The in-flight entertainment offered on Hawaiian Airlines is similar to those offered on other airlines. They offer a large variety of the top movies, TV shows, music and games on a personal screen located on the back of the seat. On the Boeing B767, personal tablets are available for passengers to rent that come preloaded with the new movies, games and shows. Hawaiian Airlines does not offer Wi-Fi as many of the top airlines do.
• Pau Hana Cart: Along with the other amenities, Hawaiian Airlines also offers a cart full of different items for passengers to purchase for themselves or for others as gifts. They include different snack items, pillows, blankets, and headphones.
• Duty Free Shopping: As is typical of most airlines, Hawaiian Airlines also offers tax-free shopping to passengers from their catalog. Passengers can choose different items as souvenirs for themselves or others while on the flight.

Hawaiian Airlines has been in business for almost 87 years. This makes them one of the oldest airlines in the industry. They have been in business longer than many of the top airlines and much longer than a number of the smaller airlines. They are Hawaii's largest and longest serving airline and they carry over 10 million guests a year. They are also arguably the safest airline in the industry. They have never had a fatal accident or lost a plane. Hawaiian Airlines has also won a number of other awards for their services. A few of them include:

• Travel+leisure's World's Best Awards: Best Airlines
• Zagat: Premium U.S. Airline
• U.S. Department of transportation: #1 On-Time Performance
• Forbes: World's Most Punctual Airline

There are a number of other awards won by Hawaiian Airlines for their performance over the last 86 years.

The Bad

• Baggage
  • Check-in
  • Destinations

Unfortunately, Hawaiian Airlines does not offer any free baggage on either domestic or international flights. There are certain airlines that do allow for free checked baggage, making Hawaiian Airlines at a disadvantage. There is a fee for all baggage whether on flights to and within Hawaii or places farther.

When checked bags exceed 50lbs, there will be an additional excess baggage fee that will vary based on how heavy the bag is. It ranges from $25 to $200 a bag. Similarly, there will be a varying fee for baggage that exceeds their normal linear dimension of 62 inches.

Seats are selected or changed at check-in so that passengers know where they are headed when they board the airplane. Hawaiian Airlines also offers a few different ways for passengers to check-in for their flight and proceed to boarding the plane. They allow passengers to check-in online up to 24 hours before their departure date and also allow them to pay their baggage fees online making the airport process even easier. There is also check-in kiosks and counters available at the airport. These options are standard for most airlines. Hawaiian Airlines actually offers fewer check-in options than many other airlines. There was no mention of mobile check-in and they were not very clear on the times check-in and boarding need to be completed. There was no specification about the online or at airport check-in process without having ticket information to complete an actual check-in. Reservations for certain seats can be made, although not online. Reservations can only be made over the phone with Hawaiian Airlines.

Hawaiian Airlines specializes in flights around the Hawaiian Islands. They fly to every major Island in Hawaii. They also fly to 28 other international destinations. They include cities in the following areas:

• North America
• Asia
• South Pacific

This makes Hawaiian Airlines a very small airline. When compared to larger airlines, who have over 300 destinations, they are very small. Even when compared to other small airlines, 28 destinations is very small. Hawaiian Airlines also offers more travel options through their partnering airlines. They partner with the following airlines:

• All Nippon Airways
• American Airlines
• China Airlines
• JetBlue
• Korean Air
• Virgin America
• Virgin Atlantic
• Virgin Australia

When flying with many of these partnering airlines, Hawaiian Airlines also allows passengers to earn HawaiianMiles for rewards.

The Bottom Line

We felt that Hawaiian Airlines had pretty good services and deals for customers. Overall, we felt like the travel insurance was a bit on the pricier side. We also felt like the lack of Wi-Fi was a big detractor. However, for island hopping and traveling to and from the Mainland, we felt like Hawaiian Airlines was a good fit.

Eric
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS

We flew Hawaiian when of course we went to Hawaii to visit the Disney resort. The plane of all things was Moana themed which was pretty great. The in flight meal wasn't half bad and they had a vegetarian option. Customer service on the plane was great!

Rischelle Mikkelson
November 15th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I have used Hawaiian for inter island flight. They are typically the least expensive and have a lot of flight time options. Quick, easy flights.

sydney
November 9th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

The kindest employees who make you love Hawaii on the way there and the way back. I love that the whole airline just feels like such great Hawaiian vibes with the employees all wearing floral shirts. The food fed was pretty good- little containers with a snack. And they have a great credit card/ rewards program.

Adam B
November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

Friendly and affordable airline to book your flights through. Customer service was friendly and helpful.

Kenadee Harward
October 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I flew Hawaiian Airlines when I flew from one Hawaiian island to the next. I liked having the choice of drinking Pog. The flight was short and very comfortable.

Brinly Harward
October 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We have take Hawaiian Airlines when we island hop. They are very nice because they take the culture from the islands with them which is what we like when we travel to different places to feel the culture

Steve schramm
October 15th, 2018 Salem, UT DETAILS

Limited destinations but good service and average accommodations. Feel safe flying with them.

Sarah Ava
October 1st, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

We have only used Hawaiian Airlines to fly between each of the islands (Oahu to Maui, Kauai to Oahu, etc) and we’ve enjoyed their services. Their agents and flight attendants are always so friendly and helpful even on the short flights.

Dave Brinton
August 31st, 2018

Love the hawain attitude. My kids love the POG that is served on every flight

Melissa Reinoso
August 30th, 2018 Herriman, UT

Went on vacation and one of these planes flew us to another island and they were nothing but nice.

Derek Scoville
August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Inter-island flights are so easy with Hawaiian. They are short flights, so I wasn't so worried about comfort or snacks, but their attendants are always so happy.

L Fowler
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I flew with Hawaiian Airlines several years ago when traveling from one island to the other and they were very friendly and welcoming. I wasn't a fan of the smaller plane but the pilot made the flight smooth and comfortable

Tara Larson
August 28th, 2018 Portola Valley, CA

My family of six flew from san Jose to Honolulu April 2015. The flight was pleasant, the attendants were superb, and a free meal was an added bonus.

Jr
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

customer service is rude! doesn't care about our luggage when it has been lost. does not accommodate when flight has delayed or cancelled. too expensive and the food is not the best.

Thomas Hullinger
August 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Hawaiian Airlines makes me think of vacation. From the check- in to the destination they take away the stress of flying and I feel very comfortable.

Kris
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have only flown on Hawaiian Airlines once but found it to be very enjoyable. The flight was on time and there was ample leg room for our tall family when we flew to Hawaii. That was very important to us since it was a long flight .

Lesa Burgess
August 20th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

My flight with Hawaiian Airlines was a dream. Clean, comfortable cabins were complimented by a smooth ride, which made me feel quite at ease. The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is because I was a little chilly on the flight-although that may have worked to my benefit considering I sometimes experience air sickness.

Haidyn Houtz
August 20th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

The flight was smooth there and back! Also the flight attendants were very friendly and helpful.

Bella Houtz
August 17th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I just flew to Hawaii on this airline a couple weeks ago. Flights were on time they were friendly had good snacks. Plane was old but ok flight was good. It was average pricing.

Joe Araki
August 6th, 2018 Pacific Palisades, CA DETAILS

This airline has been consistently on-time, early arrival, treat their customers with respect, always friendly, still serves complimentary meal, comfortable seating, does not squeeze their passengers like sardines.

Jesse Stout
August 1st, 2018 Salinas, CA DETAILS

Excellent service. Comfortable seating and great Hawaiian abionce. Would recommend them to everyone.

Karen Nelson
July 27th, 2018 Alpine, UT

This has always worked well for us. They people associated with this airline have always been helpful and friendly. I think part of the reason I like them is just because I love going to Hawaii and the name of their airlines is "Hawaiian." It just makes me happy.

Sara Jane
July 26th, 2018 Crestwood, KY

Absolutely lovely. I have never been on a flight quite like my Hawaiian Airlines flight. Staff was kind, welcoming, and the flight was genuinely great.

Tanner Hales
July 19th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Good value. May not be the cleanest, or the cheapest at times, but I have never had any missed flights or misplaced bags. I would take them over many other airlines if I had to choose because of the reliability.

Kaleb Herbert
July 9th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I flew into Maui with no stops, which was so nice, It was a long flight, but the plane was big so seemed very spacious. The service was very good and everyone was friendly. My luggage made it safe. I loved having an assigned seat. Overall a great trip.

Jess Root
July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

The seats were worn out, but the food was fine and the people were friendly. Was pleased they offered an actual meal.

Brayden D.
June 20th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Hawaiian Airlines is as perfect as it sounds. It’s my go to airline and it has never disappointed me.

Jani Crawley
June 12th, 2018 New York, NY

Our flight was more than 2 hours delayed and then sat on the tarmac for another 30 mins before we could deplane. The worst part was waiting for strollers took so long that the entire crew had left the plane! The parents with screaming children at 2 a.m. were left to wait in the jet way. Not ideal

James Crawley
June 12th, 2018 New York, NY

I flew back from Hawaii on Hawaiian Airlines last summer and it was awful. The plane was old and the seats weren't comfortable. The flight was really delayed and the crew was impatient and unprofessional. I stepped off the plane in LAX vowing to never fly them again.

CAROLE SCOVILLE
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love Hawaiian – their stewardesses are always very nice, and I like the tropical snacks they give

betsy fowler
June 11th, 2018 Lehi, UT

I love Hawaiian Airlines! They serve guava and mango juice on all of their flights, and the flight attendants wear Hawaiian shirts!

Bella Houtz
June 5th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Hawiian Airlines is a great option. They have great customer service and ate really safe.

Sadie Scoville
June 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I flew to Hawaii on this airline and the people are so so so nice and are so sweet to you and offer you drinks that other airlines don't have.

Martha Sensiba
June 4th, 2018 Pinetop-Lakeside, AZ DETAILS

We use Hawaiian Airlines whenever we fly to Hawaii. I feel like we are getting the Hawaiian experience even before we get there.

Nana Asiata
June 4th, 2018 Herriman, UT DETAILS

They have amazing staff that are always there to help you with any problems that you might have. They flight attendance are always kind.

Avery Fowler
May 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Only giving this a 3 star because of the size of the plane. I felt cramped in the plane but I believe it was the only one that flew to my destination.

Joanna Hester
May 29th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

We have flown to Hawaii several times and always use Hawaiian Air. They have the best atmosphere to welcome you to Hawaii and great prices on top of it!

Ashley
May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have only flown Hawaiian Airlines once and our plane was delayed for over two hours.

May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Hawaiian air lines made me feel like I was going to a tropical island. They bring the spirit of Hawaii out in everything they do. It was the memory of a lifetime.

May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

My experience with Hawaiian airlines was fantastic. I just wish there were more flights out of Salt Lake City Utah.