Hawaiian Airlines

Hawaiian Airlines Logo

5.8

4 hours ago

Hawaiian Airlines

You can earn 35,000 bonus miles.

Hawaiian Airlines is a large commercial airline that serves Hawaii. Being a regional carrier, it is also the 8th largest commercial airline in the United States. It is headquartered in Honolulu. Its two biggest hubs are at Honolulu International Airport and Kahului Airport on Maui. Mark Dunkerley is the CEO of Hawaiian Holdings, the company that owns Hawaiian Airlines. Hawaiian Airlines is arguably the safest airline in the industry. They've never had a fatal accident or a plane loss. It is the oldest airline in the country that boasts of such a safety record. Also, it is number two in terms of being an on-time carrier. Its rival Aloha Airlines is the number one on-time airline in the industry. Travel and Leisure, Zagat, and Condé Nest Traveler have also rated Hawaiian airlines the best carrier that serves Hawaii. Another nice thing about Hawaiian Airlines is that they have partnered extensively with other airlines with its rewards program. If you fly JetBlue, American Airlines, Delta, and other carriers, it may be possible to earn and redeem partner miles for certain Hawaiian Airline flights.

The Good

• Ticket prices
  • Flight statistics
  • In-flight services
  • Time in business
  • Awards

Hawaiian Airlines offers average ticket prices. They are not generally the cheapest option for a ticket, but they are also far from the most expensive. For both domestic and international flights this seemed to be true. Even within Islands of Hawaii, Hawaiian Airlines was occasionally beat out by other airlines. Hawaii Airlines is a great airline for earning different rewards and mile points which would help make their ticket prices even lower. They even allow mile points to be earned and redeemed from some of their partnering airlines.

Hawaiian Airlines is number two in terms of being the most on-time airline with their daily flights. Overall (according to Flightstats.com), they were 86% on time. 6% late, 2% very late, and 3% excessively late. This is a higher on-time percentage than the majority of all other airlines. They also have 0% of canceled and diverted flights. When looking at their most active routes, they have quite a variety of rated flights. Their top flights range from high 4 stars all the way to a 1.5 star rated flight from San Diego to Honolulu. Their top flights include:

• Honolulu to Kailua-Kona (4.7 stars, 96% on time)
• Honolulu to Kauai Island (4.7 stars, 94% on time)
• Honolulu to Kahului (4.6 stars, 95% on time)

It is interesting to note that the majority of their high-rated flights are around the Hawaiian Islands, and their lower rated flights are to other destinations. Flights in and around Hawaii are their strongest areas.

In-flight services for Hawaiian Airlines are standard. They include the following:
• Food and Beverages: Hawaiian Airlines offers all complimentary meals, beverages and snacks on board. This complimentary dining is better than a lot of other airlines. The menu for Hawaiian Airlines varies based on the destination but they are also served by top chiefs taking airline food to the next level. They also have a variety of drinks to go along with the meals served.
• Entertainment: The in-flight entertainment offered on Hawaiian Airlines is similar to those offered on other airlines. They offer a large variety of the top movies, TV shows, music and games on a personal screen located on the back of the seat. On the Boeing B767, personal tablets are available for passengers to rent that come preloaded with the new movies, games and shows. Hawaiian Airlines does not offer Wi-Fi as many of the top airlines do.
• Pau Hana Cart: Along with the other amenities, Hawaiian Airlines also offers a cart full of different items for passengers to purchase for themselves or for others as gifts. They include different snack items, pillows, blankets, and headphones.
• Duty Free Shopping: As is typical of most airlines, Hawaiian Airlines also offers tax-free shopping to passengers from their catalog. Passengers can choose different items as souvenirs for themselves or others while on the flight.

Hawaiian Airlines has been in business for almost 87 years. This makes them one of the oldest airlines in the industry. They have been in business longer than many of the top airlines and much longer than a number of the smaller airlines. They are Hawaii's largest and longest serving airline and they carry over 10 million guests a year. They are also arguably the safest airline in the industry. They have never had a fatal accident or lost a plane. Hawaiian Airlines has also won a number of other awards for their services. A few of them include:

• Travel+leisure's World's Best Awards: Best Airlines
• Zagat: Premium U.S. Airline
• U.S. Department of transportation: #1 On-Time Performance
• Forbes: World's Most Punctual Airline

There are a number of other awards won by Hawaiian Airlines for their performance over the last 86 years.

The Bad

• Baggage
  • Check-in
  • Destinations

Unfortunately, Hawaiian Airlines does not offer any free baggage on either domestic or international flights. There are certain airlines that do allow for free checked baggage, making Hawaiian Airlines at a disadvantage. There is a fee for all baggage whether on flights to and within Hawaii or places farther.

When checked bags exceed 50lbs, there will be an additional excess baggage fee that will vary based on how heavy the bag is. It ranges from $25 to $200 a bag. Similarly, there will be a varying fee for baggage that exceeds their normal linear dimension of 62 inches.

Seats are selected or changed at check-in so that passengers know where they are headed when they board the airplane. Hawaiian Airlines also offers a few different ways for passengers to check-in for their flight and proceed to boarding the plane. They allow passengers to check-in online up to 24 hours before their departure date and also allow them to pay their baggage fees online making the airport process even easier. There is also check-in kiosks and counters available at the airport. These options are standard for most airlines. Hawaiian Airlines actually offers fewer check-in options than many other airlines. There was no mention of mobile check-in and they were not very clear on the times check-in and boarding need to be completed. There was no specification about the online or at airport check-in process without having ticket information to complete an actual check-in. Reservations for certain seats can be made, although not online. Reservations can only be made over the phone with Hawaiian Airlines.

Hawaiian Airlines specializes in flights around the Hawaiian Islands. They fly to every major Island in Hawaii. They also fly to 28 other international destinations. They include cities in the following areas:

• North America
• Asia
• South Pacific

This makes Hawaiian Airlines a very small airline. When compared to larger airlines, who have over 300 destinations, they are very small. Even when compared to other small airlines, 28 destinations is very small. Hawaiian Airlines also offers more travel options through their partnering airlines. They partner with the following airlines:

• All Nippon Airways
• American Airlines
• China Airlines
• JetBlue
• Korean Air
• Virgin America
• Virgin Atlantic
• Virgin Australia

When flying with many of these partnering airlines, Hawaiian Airlines also allows passengers to earn HawaiianMiles for rewards.

The Bottom Line

We felt that Hawaiian Airlines had pretty good services and deals for customers. Overall, we felt like the travel insurance was a bit on the pricier side. We also felt like the lack of Wi-Fi was a big detractor. However, for island hopping and traveling to and from the Mainland, we felt like Hawaiian Airlines was a good fit.

Ashley
May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have only flown Hawaiian Airlines once and our plane was delayed for over two hours.

May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Hawaiian air lines made me feel like I was going to a tropical island. They bring the spirit of Hawaii out in everything they do. It was the memory of a lifetime.

May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

My experience with Hawaiian airlines was fantastic. I just wish there were more flights out of Salt Lake City Utah.

Elyse Bradley
May 2nd, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Only flown once, RT from Maui to Oahu, but we had a good quick flight with no problems or delays. The price was decent, and the juice they serve on-flight is also pretty tasty!

katiec
April 30th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love Hawaiian airlines! The staff is friendly, they feed you on all flights, and the experience on each flight gets you ready for your Hawaii trip.

Dallin Smith
April 25th, 2018 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

I flew with them last year and was not very pleased. First of my flight was delayed. Then the flight attendants weren't the friendliest and there plane was very claustorphobic.

Tera
April 17th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I took Hawaiian Airlines back when I was in junior high my family went to Hawaii. It was a very good Airline. I remember having very good experience with the airline. One of my fondest memories was getting off the airline and they greeted us all with Hawaiian leis to go on all the passengers that were traveling on that airline that day. It was a very wonderful experience I'd recommend Hawaiian Airlines to anybody.

Erin Rhoton
April 16th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Hawaiian Airlines was a fantastic experience! It had the best food and juice options! I loved that they gave authentic POG juice and sweet Maui onion chips. It really made us excited to get to Hawaii! All of the flight attendants are happy and helpful.

Hayden Danger Barton
April 16th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

Old school. It your average airliner!!!

Maryayb
April 11th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

Love this airline! Award tickets are usually quite reasonable and the selection of Hawaiian juices are a nice touch!

Anne Marie Milne
April 10th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I traveled with Hawaiian Airlines my first trip to Hawaii with my whole family. What an incredible experience. I can't say enough about the flight attendants. Sweet, kind, genuion, they very always asking what they could do to make us more comfortable. Pillows, blankets, ear plugs, earphones for a movie ?. Had conversations with us about our lives, why we were traveling where we were. Can't say enough good things. Landed on time. Left on time!!!!! The best experience!!!!! ☺

Brette
April 10th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

I was only on a flight for an hour and I was very impressed with their service and yummy complimentary food and drinks

Charlotte Ash
December 19th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

It was great to catch a flight to the different island. The service was great and flight attendants were helpful and friendly.

Kimberly Bronson
December 11th, 2017 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS

Found their prices to be much higher than others. Great flight though and great service.

Sean Flandermeyer
November 14th, 2017 Menifee, CA DETAILS

On time, cleanliness professional staff, price.

Low
November 14th, 2017 Honolulu, HI DETAILS

Prompt and courteous service and always on time if not earlier

LQMacLuvr
November 14th, 2017 Pomona, CA DETAILS

Nothing special. No better or worse than any other U.S. carrier that flies to HI. Uncomfortable seats, and nickling passengers to view movies. Really?

Bruce Carvajal
November 14th, 2017 San Diego, CA DETAILS

Service, Service, Service, On time, Clean airplanes

Abbey Richards
November 6th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

The flights on Hawaiian air are sort. The stewardesses were dressed up, which was nice. They gave us this Hawaiian juice too, which was yummy. I wish they served water though. The seats are hard and there is no tray table or pockets on the seats. The flights are short though like I said, so it really wasn't that bad of a flight.

Gary Mayer
November 6th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

great experience flying between islands while on vacation Their service is first class and the employees are super friendly. Would highly recommend hem to anyone.

Stevie
November 2nd, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

It was a quick flight between islands so the seats did not have padded head rests and there are no TVs but they are not needed. Service was good. Did charge us for bags, which is a bonus!

Connie Mayer
November 2nd, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

We use Hawaiian Airlines when we are flying from island to island in Hawaii. The airplanes are pretty low quality as far as the seats go. The staff is always nice though. It is usually an uncomfortable flight for us, but luckily those flights aren't that long.

Alex Murphy
October 30th, 2017 Reno, NV DETAILS

Their planes are pretty uncomfortable, but the flights are short and cheap. They also have a great Hawaiian juice!

Joleen
July 24th, 2017 Compton, CA

Flight delayed for 4 hours, not a problem delays happen to all airlines, yes also in Hawaii. At the departure gate, spoke with your HAagent Dana and inquired if there were seats available in Row11. He looked at his screen, asked what row I was seated I told him Row 12CE. He continued to say that the aircraft configuration changed to a 'lie-flat' and as there was no row 12, we were reassigned to row 20FJ. I asked if there were comp upgrades to FC and he said no. The additional cost per person would be $419/PP. I also asked him if row 20 was designated as Extra Comfort seats ( as we paid extra for the service). He confirmed it was. I also said to him 'when were we going to be notified that we didn't have seats assigned for the flight!'. He replied 'we were going to page for you'. A note here that several names were announced on the PA system a few minutes earlier advising of seat verification/assignments but our names weren't amongst those names called. I returned back to my seat in the lobby and checked the seat configuration on the HA website and also Seat Guru. To my surprise, I noticed there was indeed a row 12CDEF. My boarding zone was also changed to Zone 5 instead of Zone 2. I returned back to the counter and let the same HA Agent know that the seating map indicates a row 12 does indeed exist. I also let him know that my zone had changed from 2 to 5. He immediately said its a computer glitch and row 20 is 'extra comfort seats'. He also showed me his computer screen and said 'yes, but because we weren't seated together, we now were together in row 20.' I impressed upon him that I was told there was no row 12 (in this new seat configuration) and that's why we were moved. He finally admitted he made a mistake but 'didn't you want to sit together anyway?' I kinda looked at him and in my mind I said 'you misrepresented the product and now you want me to be grateful that we got seats together?' I asked him if row 12 was bulkhead seats and he said he didn't know for sure. I said the seat map indicates there's a galley behind row 12 and I asked again if row 12 was bulkhead seats. He said he didn't know. I'm not sure why he didn't ask for assistance as there were 2 other agents and what looked like a manager/supervisor in non-uniform attire. And by the way, the manager/supervisor did not approach or offer assistance at all even though it was obvious that there was an issue with my reservation. All said, I understand delays happen. As a matter of fact, all passengers were offered blankets and water and snack boxes during the four hour delay. I just don't understand and accept being lied to. I said that I wanted the original seats back that we selected. He said 'but you're separated.' I replied I was going to ask the other passenger In 12B if they wouldn't mind switching a seat?' He said quickly 'we don't recommend doing that' and I said 'it's done all the time but didn't realize HA made it their policy to tell customers that!' Needless to say, I feel like the agent may have been saving the seats for a non-rev passenger or perhaps a friend. Note: Enroute we were never offered a snack/breakfast during the flight. I suppose the snack box that was offered in the lobby area was our meal. Really?

Elena
May 28th, 2016

We purchase our tickets via HA credit card, booking through HA. HA books us through their partner Jet Blue (from Syracuse NY) to JFK, then on to Honolulu and then Lihue. Unfortunately, HA refuses to put your bags through if you are on a connecting flight that is not HA even if it is a partner, in the same terminal. Not a big problem on the Jet Blue to JFK leg because our local Jet Blue folks will do this with no problem. However, when we fly from Lihue back home, they insist that they will only gets your bags to JFK, where you have to pick them up and then go back through Security in order to board the Jet Blue Flight. If they let you talk to a ticket agent in Lihue you can get the bags through but they have these really mean ladies who keep directing you to the kiosks where you can't put your bags through to the final destination. I have had to get really vocal, on more then one occasion in order for them to " allow" me to see a ticket agent who will put the bags through. I have called customer service and have been told " our policy is that we do not put bags through to non HA flights". Even if it is a partner. No Aloha here!

LC Martin
October 22nd, 2015 Las Vegas, NV

My husband and I fly Hawaiian Airlines roundtrip 4 times every year. We have been traveling to Maui on Hawaiian Airlines since 2010. Please bring back the non stop flight from Las Vegas, NV to Maui, HI. Hawaiian Airlines service and extras are the best I have ever encountered and I travel regularly for work. I would, however, change my airlines if another carrier bypassed Honolulu and flew nonstop from Las Vegas to Maui.

Helen VanHorn
October 22nd, 2015 Honolulu, HI

Great Airlines. Always on time and organized. Great customer service too. Always comfortable seating, great website to add miles and reservations to my account too. Very pleased.

Jerry
October 22nd, 2015 Kaunakakai, HI

was on flt 5 from Vegas to HNL on 10/16..1 1/2 hour delay.. I understand these delays may happen but at such a late hour at least Hawn Air could have given complimentary blankets or movie!

Beverly Weiher
October 21st, 2015 Tucson, AZ

I love traveling to Maui on Hawaiian Airlines! The pleasant staff and special extras, such as food, drinks and snacks, give us the "Aloha" feeling of welcome, whether we're on our way to or from the islands. I'm usually such a "wi-fi nut" but have found relaxation in listening to music and reading or watching a movie. I can definitely live without my computer and just relax in the Hawaiian atmosphere.

Robert Curran
October 21st, 2015 Mililani, HI

below is my discount e-cerrtificate Hawaiian Airlines MasterCard $100 Off Coach RT Companion Travel Discount Between North America and Hawaii Valid for 12 months from anniversary date Discount applies to base fare # of Bookings 1 | # of Passengers: 2 E-certificate # ******** Terms and Conditions to me it reads i can do a booking one time and use the discount for 2 passengers but no you can use it only for accompanying passenger. On top of that when I was booking the flight on the website it would only allow me to book for 2 passengers. Myself and 1 companion but I wanted to book the flight for 3 total. Sof after booking my flight I had to book a separate flight for my 3 year old son but it would not let me book a flight for him because he was a minor and I needed to book an accompanying adult in order to finish the transaction. Does this make sense? So because the Hawaiian Airline website does not allow for me to book a flight for more than 2 passengers because of the discounted fair and the Hawaiian Airline website does not allow me to book a flight for my 3 year old son without an accompanying adult I had to call the customer service number in order to complete my sons flight booking. And on top of that they wanted to charge me 25 bucks to complete the transaction. SO I said no, Why should I be charged 25 bucks when your website wont allow me to complete my bookings. It's not my fault your website is incompatible and not customer friendly. SO I finally get someone to help me and they to agree with me that it is a glitch in their computer system that does not allow to book for more than 2 persons when using the discounted e-ticket. This needs to be fixed. So now I have a separate itinerary for my son. I pray to God this does not affect anything else when I am trying to board the airplane. So now I don't want to buy the Premier club membership because I don't know what kind of problems I will experience because of us being on two separate itineraries. So until I actually get on the plane I am not a happy customer because in the back of my mind I am worried so much that something is going to happen prior to us boarding. Not a happy customer.

Kristina Tenerowicz
October 19th, 2015 Azusa, CA

LOVED LOVED LOVED my seat on my recent flight to Kauai !! I upgraded my seat and had so much extra room !! Both myself and my husband were so comfortable.....thee by far my best flight ever to Hawaii!!!

Stan
October 19th, 2015 Spring Valley, CA

First class really isn't. Charges for checked bags on a long haul airline? Seriously?

Wendy
October 19th, 2015 Jackson, MI

Best of all airlines. Such pretty planes. Clean. One of our few flights w/Hawaiian wasn't on time but called ahead with our connection so all worked out..Just love Hawaiian!

howard
October 19th, 2015 Spokane, WA

we like the extra room seats, only way to fly..

Terry-Lin Branco
October 16th, 2015 Honolulu, HI

Great airline. The people who work for this airlines the ones who have one to one with customers are the best !

Alisia Morris
October 16th, 2015 Hawthorne, FL

Had to fly home for a family emergency this past year....the whole experience was awesome!! the flight was on time and due to all the conviences on board the 10 hour flight flew by. When flying home and where available...i will always fly Hawaiian Airlines.

James
October 15th, 2015 Portland, OR

Usually a great airline and flight but yesterday was a little anxious. Flight HA 25 from HNL to PDX was assigned a gate when I pre printed my boarding passes. When arriving from inter island flight there was only one reader board saying gate change also the reader board changed so quickly it was hard to follow. It did say a gate change to 31. We went to that gate but wasn't allowed near the gate since an international flight was leaving from there. Again the PDX flight wasn't listed on any reader boards in that terminal. The closest restaurant/bar was packed and that terminal wasn't easy to get to. No charging stations near the gate except on the floor with an electrical outlet. It was a change away from the eateries at the usual terminal that we have always gone through. Flight was good.

Tanya Pittsley
October 15th, 2015 Longview, WA

My family and I flew to Oahu from Portland, OR on Hawaiian Airlines and had the best flight! The flight staff were very helpful and courteous. The flight itself was smooth and had one of the smoothest landings ever. I would recommend HA to anyone!

vickie Peters
October 13th, 2015 Olympia, WA

I have always had a good experience with Hawaiian Airlines! No complaints here

Sue White
October 12th, 2015 Sacramento, CA

The service was awesome and extremely friendly. But I flew first class, which it definitely was not. The seat was so small I couldn't even put a camera by my side, I had to put it in my purse on the floor or keep in my lap. The food was presented beautifully but it would have tasted much better warmer, preferably hot. In all, the cost was not worth it !!!