Frontier Airlines Logo

Frontier Airlines

Is This Your Business?

5.9

LAST UPDATED: April 17th, 2020

Frontier is probably one of the best airlines in the industry, especially in terms of low-fare providers. They were founded in 1994 and are based out of Denver Colorado. They offer 80 destinations in the United States and abroad, mostly in North America, with flights going to the Dominican Republic, Mexico, and other nearby realms close to the United States. Frontier has one of the most generous programs for rewards in the industry. 20,000 economy frequent flier miles gets a client a round-trip ticket anywhere in the United States. Frontier however, does not do sharing of its frequent flyer miles with other airlines, much like the American Airlines Group does. Frontier is currently upgrading its fleet, which is a nice feature. Most airlines have planes in their fleet that are close to fifteen years old. Frontier uses mostly Airbus jets for its main fleet, including the Airbus 319 and 320. The average age of a Frontier jet is about 8-1/2 years, meaning that Frontier wants the best jets possible for its customers. One downside of Frontier's mergers and acquisitions was the closing of the Milwaukee hub. We found that this adversely impacted Frontier employees, as well as reducing some of their flights that were a central component in their business model because of the central location of the Milwaukee hub.

Delta Airlines Logo
#2 Delta Airlines chevron_right
JetBlue Logo
#3 JetBlue chevron_right

The Good

• Ticket prices
  • Rewards program
  • Boarding
  • Flight statistics
Frontier is a low-fare airline. They stay true to this reputation by offering the lowest prices for flights. They are often one of the lowest or the lowest priced option for their flights. They also offer one of the most generous rewards programs. 20,000 economy frequent flier miles gets a round-trip ticket anywhere in the United States served by Frontier. There are also special deals that are always available and changing on the Frontier website that will help lower their prices even more. Frontier has few destinations though, so while they may the lowest option, they may not be available for the flights a customer needs. Frontier also does not allow their frequent flier miles to be shared with other airlines. This is unfortunate since other airlines such as American Airlines does allow this. Frontier Airlines has certain specified times for boarding their flights: • 45 minutes before departure: bags must be checked in • 30 minutes before departure: passengers must be at the gate, boarding will begin • 15 minutes before departure: final boarding • 10 minutes before departure: doors close They also have a few groups that will always board their plane first. They include: 1. Special Services: anyone needing wheelchair or other boarding assistance and unaccompanied minors 2. Passengers who have purchased a carry-on bag 3. Courtesy boarding: families traveling with children under three and any other passenger requiring additional time or assistance Seats are assigned on Frontier flights which help make the boarding process smoother as passengers know exactly where they are headed when they enter the aircraft. Frontier recommends that passengers choose their seats while they are booking their tickets. This way passengers can choose their preference, and try to keep their party together however it does cost a fee to choose a seat. If a seat is not chosen at booking, one will randomly be assigned during the check-in process for free. Check-in can be done at the airport or online and must be done at least 45 minutes before departure for domestic flights, and 60 minutes for international flights. Frontier has fairly average on-time percentages for their daily flights. The received the following statistics from Flightstats.com: • 80% on-time • 7% late • 3% very late • 7% excessive Many of the top airlines are slightly higher than this rating. The margin that they are better is not much however, Frontier is still rather consistent for being generally on time. Their most active routes, however, did receive much lower ratings than top airlines. Generally the top airlines active routes are receiving four to five-star ratings, while Frontier flights received mostly two to three-star ratings. Their top flights include: • Denver to Portland (4.1 stars, 88% on time) • San Diego to Denver (3.7 stars, 87% on time) • Denver to Minneapolis (3.4 stars, 85% on time) Their lowest flight is Denver to Dallas (1.4 stars, 74% on time). These ratings show that Frontier is not as consistent with providing on time, not delayed or canceled flights as some of the other airlines. Frontier offers more than 275 daily flights and is a much smaller airline than some of the top they are compared to. Their most active routes looked at are all domestic locations. Frontier Airlines began in 1994 and has been providing low-fare air travel for the past 21 years. 21 years of service does not make them a brand new airline. They have had time to grow with the industry, and expand. They are however, a young airline when compared with some of the major airlines. A number of other airlines, both major and small, have been around for over 80 years, about four times as long as Frontier. An advantage to Frontier's young age is their young fleet. Many of their airplanes are newer than other airlines offer. Frontier is also the proud winner of the Federal Aviation Administration's 2014 Diamond Award for maintenance excellence. They were also recently named the industry's most fuel-efficient airline by the International Council on Clean Transportation. Along with these awards, Frontier is one of the safest airlines. They have never had a fatal accident, an impressive feat for a low-fare carrier.

The Bad

• Baggage
  • Amenities
Because Frontier is a low-cost airline, they do not offer any free baggage. All checked and carry-on bags cost money. Baggage is cheaper when it is booked online at least 24 hours before departure. There is a price increase for bags checked at the ticket counter of the airport and another increase for bags checked at the gate. There are also certain size restrictions for checked luggage. Bags must not exceed 62 inches collectively (Length + Width + Depth) and 50 pounds. Bags that exceed this will have an additional charge of $75 for each bag that is overweight and $75 for each oversized bag, and bags over 100 pounds or in excess of 110 linear inches will not be accepted. Because Frontier is a low-fare airline, they do not offer many of the standard amenities found on much larger airlines. They do not offer any entertainment options or Wi-Fi. They state that they would rather pass those savings onto the customers. They also do not offer any complimentary food or beverages. They do have an array of options for snacks and beverages that are available for purchase on the flight however. Their non-alcoholic drinks cost $2. This is unusual even for low-fare airlines. Generally other low cost airlines provide complimentary non-alcoholic beverages and maybe some light snacks. Frontier however charges for all food onboard. Their snack choices include: • Chex mix • Almond M&M's • Beef Jerky • Pringles Chips • Gummy Bears • Rice Krispies • Frontier Trail Mix Frontier also offers a number of bundled options for different snacks and drinks. They serve coffee as well and their alcoholic beverages will run about $7 a drink.

The Bottom Line

We would recommend Frontier without reservation and would even go so far as to say that they are one of the best low-fare airlines in the industry. We liked their relatively young fleet, the Airbus planes that make up their  fleet, and the customer experience that customers get. We really liked our phone-in experience. Our questions were easily answered and we also really liked the no-hassle refund policy for customers who have a canceled flight. If you're flight is canceled or delayed up to three hours, you will get a refund of your ticket or a new flight.

2.9

Michelle A Kemler Trenton, NJ

We fly Frontier out of Trenton to Ft Myers Fla..love the small airport and easy access from home, however, I do have issue with the pricing for "in season" flights to Ft Myers.. If I want to book now, it would cost over $1500 for two people for a 4 day stay..I didn't pay that for my recent trip which was 14 days I realize that flying back on a weekend is more but I refuse to pay that ridiculous amount for basically the same route. Overall, the airline is great...last trip down, the flight attendants were awesome, didn't spend the money on their snacks and did pay extra for stretch seating. I do feel that carry on's should be free but the idea of not having to go to baggage claim at any airport is a plus..Will def fly them again!

Melissa Chicago, IL

I have nothing but good things to say about Frontier!!!! I have taken a few more trips this year because of the great prices, the staff is always very friendly and helpful, all of the planes I have been on are about the same as larger airlines I have taken, we always do just a small carry on bag that fits under the seat for free. You do have to buy snacks and beverages, but they are the same prices, if not cheaper then what you would get at the airport, so that is not a big deal to me. I have to say I am very happy Frontier now is fly out of Chicago, they have been a nice change from the big airline companies who could care less. I have recommended Frontier to a lot of people who were also very pleased with the prices, planes and service. Keep Up the Good Work !!!!

Anna East Brunswick, NJ

I just got back flying Frontier Trenton to Chicago then Chicago to Los Angles ..all flights were on time some were early too. Flight Attendants were courteous..only flaws I have expensive for a carry on and seat upgrades. oh ya. cant you fly from Trenton to LA with one stop. I had to book 2 separate flights to get to LA... using my frequent flyer miles.... with the new seats/ no TV screen offer some incentive to fly Frontier. free one carry on or something????

Lisa Karlstad Rakowski Grand Forks, ND

EVERY experience I have ever had with Frontier has been nothing short of GREAT. However, pulling service out of Fargo, ND was NOT cool. I loved the non-stop service to Denver. Now I am forced to give my money to United, I would much prefer flying Frontier. Please come back. NEVER a bad experience ~ the smaller locations for travel need your service.

Yvonne Hollenbeck Dell Rapids, SD

I really like Frontier, much more than the other carriers. My only problem is that they do not fly in to the airports I use most. Consequently, I have decided to never fly again unless it is on Frontier. The last ten flights were on Delta, America and worst of all, United, and every one was a disaster with delays, cancellations, mechanical problems (supposedly), etc. Anymore, I loathe flying.

A Craw Draper, UT

I love their flights from Denver to Salt Lake. I feel like they are very reasonably priced. I particulary like the Den member loyalty program. Only thing I would change is that I would prefer not to pay so much in baggage fees!

Jamie Richards Lehi, UT

Frontier is a great cheap airline. That being said, you get what you pay for. The seats a really thin, and not the most comfortable. They also charge for any bags. But being able to use just a carry-on it made for a very affordable vacation for myself and my family. The crew was friendly and helpful.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

Frontier is an Airline that you get what you pay for. I flew from Las Vegas to Cincinnatti, Ohio and the flight was great, but it was delayed for a long time. Give them credit, they gave me a $100 voucher and I will fly with them again.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

Very cheap flights, but bare bones experience. Everything is an upgrade. If you know that and don’t care then you’ll have a very cheap ticket! Otherwise you might as well pay for another airline because you’ll get more for your money.

sharon bacon Saint Peters, MO

I flew non-stop from STL to Fort Lauderdale round trip. I was disappointed that Frontier does not fly into PBI as I would use that service if they would do so. Great flight. No delays. Wonderful experience. Remember to buy your drinks and snacks before boarding the plane. I checked my bags so didn't have to deal with that.

Judi Schanowski Fond Du Lac, WI

We have never had a problem with Frontier. I am disabled and they were always helpful and friendly. Although, with my disability, we no longer fly.I guess my only complaint is that they don't have direct flight from Milwaukee to Vegas

Bobbi Sedley Cleveland, OH

Took my first trip on Frontier. Took off and arrived on time. No complaints at all! seats very comfy too. I didn't have any problems but people at the back of the plane were moved up front because the toilet broke and the smell was very bad. Glad I paid for a closer up seat this time!

Lisa Lien Sioux Falls, SD

I love flying Frontier but I always fly from Sioux Falls, SD to Denver, CO to see my son and now the flights are getting less and less and no more specials out of Sioux Falls so now i have to search other airlines. Very disappointed in that part.

take7 Sandy, UT

Cheaper flights for our destination and a longer layover enroute but the price was worth it especially traveling alone. When we did travel with the kids on Frontier the layovers were a bit rough and the planes small but it was fine considering the saving. Still, the time it takes to travel on Frontier and get from one place to the next sometimes isn't worth the price if you're in a hurry or can't handle the long layovers.

Derrick Lubbock, TX

Have had many inconveniences with frontier airlines, but for the price point they offer, I'm able to fly when otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford traveling. Can't complain too much. Don't expect extras, don't expect TV's, and prepare to pay for all your bags. Don't be surprised if a flight is running late. With all that said, I've always arrived safely to my destination with frontier airlines.

Ava Rasmussen South Jordan, UT

Frontier has great prices on their airfare. I use them when I fly to Denver and I’ve been happy with their service. I just don’t like that they charge for their carry on bags.

John Burlington, NC

My wife and I used Frontier Airlines for the very first time. I liked the non-stop flights. The service provided by the crew was good as well. I liked paying for Baggage, etc. up front. We had a great experience.

marilyn Sedalia, MO

Our flight was 3 hours late leaving......but it was weather related & that can't be helped!! All the employees were very helpful and extremely nice........It was a good experience ............

kmonke Hettinger, SD

I flew Frontier when they departed out of Dickinson, ND and have nothing but praise. On time, made for easy connection in Denver to another flight taking me to Dallas. Wish they still came to Dickinson.

Zabsanti Slidell, LA

When I went on my frontier flight, I was expecting a low lying airline that was negligent in their services. I was stunned to see the extra attention the service actually provided and the patience that the staff on the ground and in the air had with us.

Ron Vincent Cheyenne, WY

I have flown several times with frontier. It is what you would expect for low fare. The seats are uncomfortable for long flights and do not recline. You have to extra for soft drinks and any carryons exceptfor 1 personal item. Employees seem unhappy

Olivia Orlando, FL

Overall, my experience with frontier was great. However, I found the restrictions on carry on items were frustrating. Paying for carry on items were annoying and often forgotten about. In addition, I found that the policies regarding personal items were inconsistent amongst different airports.

Jon Robinson Riverton, UT

Frontier has some great prices on one way airfare if you book early and watch the website for deals. If I book in advance, I can often find airfare for as low as $48/flight. The only thing I don't like is the "den deals". They want you to sign up for a yearly membership fee to get the best deals.

Shauna Smith Austin, TX

Convenient direct flight from Austin to Salt Lake City. Accommodations are bare bones but manageable for such a short trip. Prices are excellent and allow us the ability to see family and friends more than we ever could previously since cost is always a consideration.

BLF Pleasant Grove, UT

If you are flying to a specific airport this is a good airline to take. However, they charge for luggage and the price of your ticket goes up. Also, they are very strict on their check in times. They will turn you away if you are late checking in.

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

I usually use Frontier Airlines when I go to Texas because they have incredibly cheap flights. I've always been treated well on Frontier and then to have it be so inexpensive is amazing. If you are a light traveler this airline is great. If not, it can get pricey since bags cost an additional amount.

Anne Marie Milne Layton, UT

I'm not very impressed with Frontier at the ticket counter where you get tickets they were very unprofessional. Very short-tempered with an older man that was in front of me. I was not impressed at all. I wish I could say something nicer but I was so not impressed at all. I felt very bad for that older man.

Abbey Cassibry Long Beach, MS

I've used this carrier many times and found it to be quite good. They are always on time and the planes are always clean. The staff is friendly and I will use them again.

Carl J Lundstrom Palm Desert, CA

Never had a problem and they were always on time. I just wish they would fly DEN to PSP again. For the short flight, the service was so nice and everybody accomodating.

Randi Nelson Managua, MN

Frontier is actually what I go look to when I am just going for a quick trip. Cheap flights and they get where you need to go. I would recommend and I was pleased with my purchase and experience.

Mickey Mangum Long Beach, MS

I once used Frontier airlines for a short domestic trip. The ticket purchase process was quite simple. The trip itself was fine, the plane was of good quality and the staff was great. I would use them again.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

Frontier is an airline to use when you are trying to save some money when traveling. The only complaint I have is the hanger I was in was confusing because it was separate from the actual airport hanger.

Ron Durfey Pleasant Grove, UT

I have flown on Frontier several times into Colorado. This is a great airline and their prices are competitive. I would definitely recommend Frontier for your air transportation needs.

Nicole Cardwell West Jordan, UT

Frontier was a great deal and price and the service was also good. There was a layover and the flight was late arriving and landing.

Denise Colorado Springs, CO

Never had a problem when flying on Frontier. Nice helpful crew, smooth flight and on time. Wish I could afford to fly more.

Msindoni Miami, FL

I have used Frontier Airlines services one time so far. I didn't experience any problems, so I was pretty satisfied. You pay for what you want which is perfect for me.

Joy Hill Pleasant Grove, UT

I like the airline, and the prices always seem great, until you figure you need to pay $40 for a carry on bag. That seems silly. Just increase the base fare by $40.

Mary West Jordan, UT

You can count on Frontier for a cheap ticket - there are always add on's that make the ticket more than advertised generally but still the cheapest option.

Annie Chow Tallahassee, FL

Although their seats are hard, their customer service is amazing and their deals on flights and luggage are undefeated.

Roxy

Great, low budget airline. They charge for carry-ons and checking luggage, but you still can't beat the prices.

Nicole Fitzgerald

Never had a negative experience with this airline. Prices are great and seems to be the same as every other.

Terri Lemasters Orlando, FL

Other then a delay do to the Ebola scare, it was perfect. First flight for my two youngest grand children.

Jay Sparks Memphis, TN

I've had good experiences with Frontier for the most part they do thing differently than most airlines though.

Azrienne Tallahassee, FL

i flew Frontier and had a layover. the ride was smooth and fairly short since my first stop was in-state. pretty decent deals as well

Darbles32 Managua, MN

Frontier has always been my go to only because it has the cheapest flights for where I need to go. I do wish that we are allowed a free carry on

Kathryn American Fork, UT

Good prices for domestic flights if you don’t have any carry-on bags. So, really good for day trips and last minute overnight trips!

Jimmy Monroe Provo, UT

Need to fly on a budget? This makes it possible for the poor folk to fly, too! In fact, it can be cheaper for you to fly than to drive!

George theodorakos

fly them routinely now, right price and right destinations...i do wish they would fly to NEW YOrk

robyn locricchio Islip Terrace, NY

Convenient, they should have someone at checkin a little earlier than they do now

carie stookey Pueblo, CO

flown a lot... love Frontier. good crews, clean. on time. great promotions.. love you guys!!