Delta Airlines is one of the largest American airlines and is headquartered at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. It has one of the largest network hubs in the world and flies to over 325 destinations in 64 different countries. What began as Huff Daland Dusters, a crop dusting service, later became Delta Air Services with passenger flights starting in June 1929.

2013 saw Delta become the world's largest airline in terms of scheduled passengers, and the second largest in terms of revenue passenger-kilometers.

The company has worked extensively to make sure that customers have perks on most (if not all) planes in its fleet.

Passengers in the wide-bodied Boeing 766 are guaranteed to have wireless Internet available. Other models of planes may have Wi-Fi, but this feature has to be added to some planes (especially the fleet of Airbus and smaller narrow-bodied models).

Delta Sky Magazine, which is published by MSP Communications offers customers a wide variety of items to be perused in-flight.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Delta reviews from real customers.

View Best Airlines

The Good

• Rewards Program
  • Payment Options
  • Lots of Destinations
  • Varied Fleet
  • In-Flight Food and Beverages
  • Customer Service
  • On-Time Flights

Rewards Program

There is a lot to like about Delta's SkyMiles rewards program. It is one of the only airlines in the industry to not let its customers' frequent flier miles expire. This perk for returning customers provides the potential for significant value over time.

Additional perks that come with being a SkyMiles member include flight upgrades, vacation packages, and other amenities.

There are no blackout dates for Delta's SkyMiles program.

Transparency is an important component of Delta's packages. Their travel insurance (offered through Allianz) is straightforward, easy-to-understand, and is perfect for nearly every passenger.

Payment Options

Another positive aspect of flying with Delta is that you are able to pay for a flight with sources of credit other than a credit card. Another payment option that could be used, for example, is Bill Me Later.

Lots of Destinations

Delta has a wide array of destinations available for its clients. Their network of partners makes it easy for customers to get anywhere in the United States.

In some states, it was also possible to get to smaller cities through some of their partners. For example, we found that Moab, UT (a popular tourist spot) has scheduled service with SkyWest and Delta.

Varied Fleet

Another thing that separates Delta from their competition is their fleet of planes. Several Airbus and Boeing models are used in its wide-bodied fleet, and come with Wi-Fi, LCD displays (as of 2012), and AC power for laptops (on some planes).

Many narrow-bodied planes, mainly used for smaller connecting flights, also have Wi-Fi and other entertainment options available for customers.

In-Flight Food and Beverages

The carrier has an extensive meal service for its flights, and any flight over six hours has a complimentary meal.

There is a wide variety of beverages available on flights. Alcoholic beverages include wine, beer, and some other liquor varieties that vary in price based upon the flight.

Also, all non-alcoholic beverages (including soda and coffee) are free.

A customer service experience with Delta is most likely to be positive. The website is filled with information that potential fliers may ask. It is simple to contact customer support via Domestic Flight Booking service number (800-221-1212), to ask specific questions about prices for purchasing a ticket. This is also a great place, along with their website, to get information about travel insurance.

On-Time Flights

As per Flightstats.com, Delta flights arrive on-time roughly 87% of the time. Compared to other top airlines, this is very competitive.

The Bad

• Baggage Fees
  • Upgrade Issues

Baggage Fees

Let's face it; airlines can have a lot of problems when it comes to baggage. The largest complaints with Delta seems to stem from checked baggage fees. Some customers complained about the second checked baggage fee of $35. When customers take a carry-on that should be checked, some became offended at the complimentary free baggage check after check-in.

Upgrade Issues

Going overseas, some customers had issues with the economy upgrade perks to their ticket. When the economy comfort perks had been "overbooked," customers were issued a refund, but often complained at not getting the experience that they had originally paid for.

Overall, these complaints were to be expected when flying in general, and most customers were pleased with their Delta experience.

The Bottom Line

We have the utmost faith in recommending Delta as an airline. We really liked the company's outstanding reputation with customers and the SkyMiles rewards program. It's very rare to find an airline that doesn't let your frequent flier miles expire. However, with Delta, your coverage will vary. There are some changes between the SkyMiles 2015 plan and the 2014 plan and these depend upon the flight purchased and where your flight is going.

Delta is also environmentally friendly. In 2008, they started using a Pre-Kote, a surface treatment to prevent corrosion on its aircraft.

Overall, we feel like Delta is on the cutting edge in terms of customer service and its SkyMiles Program.

View Best Airlines

Victoria

October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The flight attendants are nice and they have the best airplanes I've been on in terms of cleanliness and activities available. They have a good selection of movies and games.

Lorie

October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta does an excellent job of providing a quality experience for their customers.

Chad Carman

October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta Airlines is our main company that we use when we fly places. They are reliable, the customer service is amazing, and we will never go back to Alaska Airlines ever again.

Tony Gibson

October 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have a Delta hub here so I fly Delta a lot. I like the service and they seem to be on time to depart and arrive earlier than I expected. I don't like how I have to pay for every little thing, but their service is professional and good. I will keep flying Delta.

Sydney Boren

October 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT

I flew with them recently and had a really positive experience. I was comfortable and enjoyed it.

Rob Lundquist

October 11th, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I fly Delta often for business and comparatively with other airlines I think it is tops. I don’t like the industry changes reducing servicing and tiering pricing to simply reserve and then assign a seat to fly.

Cassandra

October 11th, 2019 Sunnyvale, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I sadly have to say that most of my experiences with Delta haven't been the best. I've had them lose my luggage, and change my seat assignment that I paid for twice. What's sad is their customer service didn't make up for it either. I got my bag a day later, and was never compensated.

Ed Clark

October 10th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I don’t fly Delta often because I fly out of an airport that is not a hub for them. However, I have always had good experiences when I have flown on Delta. I have found their crews to be very friendly.

Cameron Clark

October 9th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have had several international flights with them. Always treated us super well and had great food (for an airplane). Would recommend!

ave

October 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our family flies Delta whenever we can because it travels to all places all over the world. They are a reliable company and the seats have a tv in the back of them. Who wouldn't want that?!

symber

October 8th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I LOVE Delta. I've always had good experiences​ when I use this airline. There are always snacks and welcoming workers.

Zac Marx

October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta Airlines has been a life saver for our family. Flying out of the country or during storms, Delta is reliable and NEVER cancels flights.

Sarah Watters

October 7th, 2019 Quinlan, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Mostly good experiences with Delta. Not a fan of their baggage fees or the fact that they charge extra now for you to be able to choose your seat. But overall, they usually fly where I want to go at a fairly affordable rate.

April

October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta Airlines has done their job, but only the bare minimum. Any time we fly Delta it feels uncomfortable to talk to staff and ask questions. We get where we need to go just fine, but it isn't the pleasant and convenient experience we would hope for.

Amy

October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have flown on Delta quite a bit. I used to use them more than any airline because of their Frequent Flyer program but they have changed that since so it is not as good. I love that they assign seats. Their planes are generally quite comfortable.

Stephen

October 7th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I don’t really love flying but when I have flown delta it has been a better experience then other airlines.

Jon Scoresby

October 7th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Pretty good airline. The service is also pretty good. The planes feel old at times but generally I think it's been ok to fly with them.

Jami Howell

October 7th, 2019 Farmington, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I always fly Delta. The Sky Miles are great and they have been great and easy to work with.

Garrett Mingus

October 7th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've gotten some great prices on delta flights in the past. They do have a fee for checking bags, but on the positive side it is nice that seat are assigned before hand and I love their movie selection on the plane. The in flight experience is always a solid one.

Don Boren

October 4th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They used to be better. Now they nickel and dime you with fees. They don't give you as much in flight with the snacks and drinks.

Ellen Morris

October 4th, 2019 Potomac, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Delta! Their service is fantastic and reliable and I love the in-flight entertainment they provide. I wish it was cheaper to check bags but I guess we cant have it all. The rewards program is also good and I always try to fly Delta so that I can get miles on my account.

Val Carman

October 3rd, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is the best! Love the service and they serve the best Gingerale Seagrams. I had to change a restricted flight and they still worked with me.

Stephen Cann

October 3rd, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love this airline... My only complaint is if you don't have status, you're chopped liver. However, that's by design, so it is what it is.

Cathy Lloyd

October 3rd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I feel very safe when I fly with Delta. Their check in and boarding process is very convenient.

Ashlyn Cann

October 3rd, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love Delta. I only wish that they would have you bored the back of the plane first like other airlines.

Amy Boren

October 3rd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

not a lot of leg room but the service is great. I have the delta credit card and I like the free bag perk and boarding early. They fly everywhere and I can find deals for flights most of the time.

Mike Smith

October 3rd, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have alone Delta for 25 years and have always had a positive experience. Obviously there have been delays due to weather or the rare mechanical issue but I have felt they have handled the situations in a professional mater.

Lizzie Smith

October 3rd, 2019 Midvale, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I fly a lot, and whenever I have a choice, I will always choose Delta. The people, the planes, and the service options are just a bit better than anywhere else.

Kaelyn Strong

October 3rd, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The new luggage loaded and unloaded alerts on your phone are a great addition to a great service

Dustin Marx

October 3rd, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta Airlines is our favorite of the biggest carriers based in the United States based on generally successful experiences flying with them. We have a Delta credit card and so get a free checked back as long as the cardholder is a member of the party that is flying together. Delta offers numerous flights and to numerous locations and we have experienced mostly consistent on-time departures and arrivals and checked bags making to our destination.

Cynthia Carman

October 2nd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta Airlines has such good service, the airplanes are so nice and the flight attendants were very helpful, even when my son threw up on the long plane ride to Hawaii.

mike

October 2nd, 2019 Springville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very happy with my service from Delta. good choice of flights, good service, and meet my needs.

October 2nd, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

im a milage member for myself my son as well as my mother. there pricing is reasonable and there flights are always on time with no issues. even got upgraded to first class once just cuz. love them. I wish we could fly more with them but like I said they always find a way to get you home safe and sound.

Sherry Arnold

October 2nd, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is a great airline. I've never had a real problem. Love the Biscoff cookies ;). I don't usually fly for personal travel because they are a bit more expensive, but if work is paying, I love to fly with them.

Pam Robello

October 1st, 2019 Marysvale, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta does a great job but they are more expensive. When flying for work, we always use them

Tara Marx

October 1st, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used Delta airlines many times and have found Delta to be very reliable.

Miles Strother

September 30th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is definitely the best Airline I've used. Although the ticket itself is usually pretty pricey, they avoid extra fees and add-ons, which is always appreciated. They usually provide more leg room as well as in-flight movies and wi-fi, which is always nice to have. Definitely reliable and probably the safest way to avoid delays.

Aliza Henline

September 30th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'm obsessed with Delta! They are friendly and helpful and they have the best movie selection! The only way to travel longer than 2 hours!!

bailey jo

September 27th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

always so easy- hassle free- amazing customer service-decent prices, loved flying delta- make me feel worry free

Ted Johnson

September 23rd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta Airlines are safe and secure. I know what I am getting every time and it stays the same. The are very reliable and I trust them completely. They have friendly and helpful people working there that make my trip always very comfortable and they have good deals.

Alyssa Boren

September 23rd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love how comfortable the seats are no matter how long your flight is. The flight attendants are always kind when bringing you things that you ask for. The movie and show choices are incredible and I am always entertained the whole flight.

Madison Scott

September 16th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ah we love Delta! We love the airline miles you can add up! The airline is one of the easiest to work with.

Joy Hill

September 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta always has the best customer service. The flight attendants are so nice and helpful. The food and snacks are great and you get treated like a king!

Paula Henrie

September 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had a great experience flying to Florida on Delta. On time and no problems. Upgraded our seats for no charge. Friendly and safe.

kristin Gneiting

September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta Airlines is a little more expensive than most airlines but if you take into consideration that you get a free bag that saves you right there! You always have a little more leg space and the head rest pops out to give you a place to rest your head to sleep. It's worth the extra money for me because I have never been delayed or had a problem with being over booked like some of the more discounted airlines.

Darrin Henry

September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Delta's sky mile rewards program and enjoy flying with them when I can afford to.

Campbell Blair

August 29th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is by far my favorite airline to fly with, you get more room and I think they are more helpful. More expensive but you're paying for what you're getting.

Scotlynn Blair

August 28th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ

Pretty pricey but also you get way you pay for. Delta is very kind and nice and pretty clean

Cambria Blair

August 28th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have never had a problem with Delta however, I do not like their new baggage restrictions.

John Jensen

August 26th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I always fly Delta when I can. Most of their planes are newer, the staff is friendly and helpful, good entertainment options, and fun snacks.