Delta Airlines is one of the largest American airlines and is headquartered at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. It has one of the largest network hubs in the world and flies to over 325 destinations in 64 different countries. What began as Huff Daland Dusters, a crop dusting service, later became Delta Air Services with passenger flights starting in June 1929.

2013 saw Delta become the world's largest airline in terms of scheduled passengers, and the second largest in terms of revenue passenger-kilometers.

The company has worked extensively to make sure that customers have perks on most (if not all) planes in its fleet.

Passengers in the wide-bodied Boeing 766 are guaranteed to have wireless Internet available. Other models of planes may have Wi-Fi, but this feature has to be added to some planes (especially the fleet of Airbus and smaller narrow-bodied models).

Delta Sky Magazine, which is published by MSP Communications offers customers a wide variety of items to be perused in-flight.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Delta reviews from real customers.

View Best Airlines

The Good

• Rewards Program
  • Payment Options
  • Lots of Destinations
  • Varied Fleet
  • In-Flight Food and Beverages
  • Customer Service
  • On-Time Flights

Rewards Program

There is a lot to like about Delta's SkyMiles rewards program. It is one of the only airlines in the industry to not let its customers' frequent flier miles expire. This perk for returning customers provides the potential for significant value over time.

Additional perks that come with being a SkyMiles member include flight upgrades, vacation packages, and other amenities.

There are no blackout dates for Delta's SkyMiles program.

Transparency is an important component of Delta's packages. Their travel insurance (offered through Allianz) is straightforward, easy-to-understand, and is perfect for nearly every passenger.

Payment Options

Another positive aspect of flying with Delta is that you are able to pay for a flight with sources of credit other than a credit card. Another payment option that could be used, for example, is Bill Me Later.

Lots of Destinations

Delta has a wide array of destinations available for its clients. Their network of partners makes it easy for customers to get anywhere in the United States.

In some states, it was also possible to get to smaller cities through some of their partners. For example, we found that Moab, UT (a popular tourist spot) has scheduled service with SkyWest and Delta.

Varied Fleet

Another thing that separates Delta from their competition is their fleet of planes. Several Airbus and Boeing models are used in its wide-bodied fleet, and come with Wi-Fi, LCD displays (as of 2012), and AC power for laptops (on some planes).

Many narrow-bodied planes, mainly used for smaller connecting flights, also have Wi-Fi and other entertainment options available for customers.

In-Flight Food and Beverages

The carrier has an extensive meal service for its flights, and any flight over six hours has a complimentary meal.

There is a wide variety of beverages available on flights. Alcoholic beverages include wine, beer, and some other liquor varieties that vary in price based upon the flight.

Also, all non-alcoholic beverages (including soda and coffee) are free.

A customer service experience with Delta is most likely to be positive. The website is filled with information that potential fliers may ask. It is simple to contact customer support via Domestic Flight Booking service number (800-221-1212), to ask specific questions about prices for purchasing a ticket. This is also a great place, along with their website, to get information about travel insurance.

On-Time Flights

As per Flightstats.com, Delta flights arrive on-time roughly 87% of the time. Compared to other top airlines, this is very competitive.

The Bad

• Baggage Fees
  • Upgrade Issues

Baggage Fees

Let's face it; airlines can have a lot of problems when it comes to baggage. The largest complaints with Delta seems to stem from checked baggage fees. Some customers complained about the second checked baggage fee of $35. When customers take a carry-on that should be checked, some became offended at the complimentary free baggage check after check-in.

Upgrade Issues

Going overseas, some customers had issues with the economy upgrade perks to their ticket. When the economy comfort perks had been "overbooked," customers were issued a refund, but often complained at not getting the experience that they had originally paid for.

Overall, these complaints were to be expected when flying in general, and most customers were pleased with their Delta experience.

The Bottom Line

We have the utmost faith in recommending Delta as an airline. We really liked the company's outstanding reputation with customers and the SkyMiles rewards program. It's very rare to find an airline that doesn't let your frequent flier miles expire. However, with Delta, your coverage will vary. There are some changes between the SkyMiles 2015 plan and the 2014 plan and these depend upon the flight purchased and where your flight is going.

Delta is also environmentally friendly. In 2008, they started using a Pre-Kote, a surface treatment to prevent corrosion on its aircraft.

Overall, we feel like Delta is on the cutting edge in terms of customer service and its SkyMiles Program.

View Best Airlines

Michelle De Oliveira

February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I fly Delta airlines quite often. I would say out of all the airlines I have used they are the most on time and their customer service is the best. I have never had any major problems when flying with them.

Michael E Berrett

February 13th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta airlines is a great organization. I am a Gold/sky priority member of their membership since I travel much. I appreciate that I don't have to pay for. baggage fees, and that I can go thorough security in the spy priority lane which is quicker. I has been a good experience flying on the airline. I have found them professional, respectful, courteous. It is my number one choice as a airline carrier.

Londyn Berrett

February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT

Delta is my favorite airline to fly on. They have awesome customer service, and nice planes. Awesome airline!!

Lexbigelow

February 13th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Always my preferred airline to travel with! They have a great level of care and professionalism. I have never had the grump attendant experience with Delta! They really get it.

JR Suguturaga

February 13th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The company provides great customer service and the travel accommodations are excellent.

Jonas De Olveira

February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I travel often for work and Delta is definitely my preferred carrier. They are on time almost all of the time and seem to run the most efficiently out of the airlines I have flown. I recommend using them.

Erin

February 13th, 2019 Lindon, UT

We’ve only flown Delta for the past seven years now. They offer competitive rates compared to other airlines. We’ve had great experiences on their flights and found their flight attendants to be very friendly and accommodating. We haven’t experienced any problems. We are and will remain loyal customers.

Abigail De Oliveira

February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love delta, the planes are clean and fresh. I have feel more upper class when traveling Delta.

Jen Paxman

February 13th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta Airlines is simply the best. From the seating room, to the on plane media options, to the flight options, to the customer service, you simply can't beat Delta. If you are willing to look, you can usually find Delta flight prices comparable to other airlines. Their flight attendants are always kind and attentive and great with my kids. Their customer service has always been great to work with and always willing to help, if they are able. Although they may be a little more than other airlines, it is worth it to me to pay a little bit more and have better connections and all of the other things that I have mentioned above.

Aaron Paxman

February 13th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been required to fly Delta due to my work scheduling my flights for me and they have not been good experiences. Customer service seemed irritated when I asked for their assistance in rescheduling my flight. The flight and crew had excellent service once I was onboard the plane but getting the flight fixed when a hassle.

wayne sanders

February 12th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I fly Delta often. it is always one of the top 2 airlines that I choose to fly. Their rates are really great almost all of the time. Customer service is always really good as well. We have never had any issues when using them. Our flights have always taken off and landed at just about the scheduled time that they were supposed to. I did need to change a flight once and it was not the hassle I thought it might be, the agent was great and got my trip rescheduled without any issues.

Steve Anderson

February 12th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Of the airlines in America, I am a true Delta fan. They've treated me well. They are reliable and have given me some great perks. On several occasions, the stewardesses on my flights have gone the extra mile to make my flight a totally great experience. I like this airline enough that I signed up for a Delta Master Card and have been earning frequent flier miles for several years now. They have paid for my wife and I to fly to Israel, Italy, China and next, some place in Europe. The only thing I don't like about Delta is that they have no leg space in their economy section. I have long legs and flying is painful, but I find that is the case in most other airlines as well.

Shauna Horne

February 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had a direct flight to Hawaii with Delta Airlines. One of the things I really like with Delta is their SkyMiles program. It is a great way to earn points for additional flights and their website allows you to see how you can redeem your miles for flights. We had no problems on our flight and would definitely fly with Delta again.

Sarah Wright

February 12th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have flown several times with Delta and I have enjoyed their service. They are a little more pricey, but with my sky miles, it makes it better. Also, I get a free bag now, so that is a bonus.

Ponch Thompson

February 12th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used Delta the most. Even after their merger, they seem to have remained a solid airline. Salt lake City is a HUB so we have lots of offerings.

Myah Smith

February 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT

Delta Airlines has been my GoTo airline. All of my flights have been booked through them and they have been awesome! The people have always been so supportive and caring towards me and my family.

Katie Young

February 12th, 2019 Charlottesville, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I always have a good experience with Delta and feel like their planes are nicer and more comfortable than other airlines along the same tier. The staff is always kind and helpful. I always look forward to flying with Delta.

Jenny

February 12th, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love flying Delta! When we had a flight problem, their people took care of our hotel room and gave us food vouchers. We love Delta!

Helen Thompson

February 12th, 2019 Bountiful, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

WE HAVE FLOWN WITH DELTA MANY YEARS AND FEEL LIKE THEY REALLY DO TRY AND PLEASE THEIR CUSTOMERS.WE LOVE IT BECAUSE WE CAN USE OUR FREQUENT FLYER MILES WITH THEM , WE CAN FLY WITHOUT HAVING TO PAY FOR OUR LUGGAGE . THEY HAVE ALWAYS BENT OVER BACKWARDS TO HELP WITH OUR NEEDS WHETHER IT WAS 35 YEARS AGO ADOPTING A BABY FROM COSTA RICA OR GETTING A BETTER SEAT WITH A HIP OR BACK INJURY. THEIR STAFF ON THE PHONE IS ALWAY READY TO HELP YOU IF THEY CAN .

Doug Fox

February 12th, 2019 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had mostly good experiences flying on Delta Airlines. There is a main hub at our local airport, so Delta is often our first choice -- depending on prince -- when it comes to flying. Sometimes you pay a little more to fly Delta, but it is often worth it.

Debbie Aston

February 12th, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

can't stand Delta! We flew them on our honeymoon. We got stuck in the airport for 12 hours, because they had 3 planes that had mechanical malfunctions. I also dont like that you have to pay for your luggage. I understand that they started charging once gas prices went up, but gas has gone down and surprise surprise.......they are still charging for luggage!

Cristiana

February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

From all airlines I flew, Delta is my favorite one. The customer service are really good the flight attendant are really well trained.

Brennan

February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I fly Delta very frequently and can honestly say that I have never had a negative experience. Their prices are always competitive and flights are very much on time. I would recommend using Delta if at all possible. Flight attendants are very nice and helpful as well.

Ava Rasmussen

February 12th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I missed the second leg of my flight home and they were great to help me get on another flight within a timely manner.

Amanda Olsen

February 12th, 2019 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love flying Delta. Very accommodating. Friendly staff and clean seats and restrooms aboard. Great entertainment selection and we arrived at our destination on time.

Ryan Huntsman

February 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have flown Delta much of my life and have had a great experience. They are usually the cheapest for me where I'm at since they have a major hub in my state.

Tracey Hazel

February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta has always provided us with great service! I am never stressed or worried when flying with Delta.

Teresa Corry

February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta has provided fantastic service to our family for many years. We have always felt safe and well-served. When we have had questions or unusual needs (wheelchair assistance) we have received special attention from Delta gate workers and clerks. They also offer many direct flights to cities we want to visit. The gate service, internet bookings, and the in flight experiences have been really positive.

Sophie

February 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Nice service. Kind to young flyers. Made my flying experience good. My favorite airline by far.

Neeley Rimal

February 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love Delta and always try to book through them. They have competitive rates and I love that we can use points to purchase tickets. They are an organized and trustworthy company.

Mandi Smith

February 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT

Delta Airlines has such a good system that they run. Their planes work very well and they always get me to where I want to go.

Lori Wakefield

February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is a great company that works hard to serve their customers. The only thing I don't enjoy about Delta is that their snacks always seem to be stale.

JAKE

February 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We fly Delta all the time and have had mainly good experiences. When booking online it is frustrating though because I feel like the prices are always changing as you are booking. It showed the price then we looked at a couple other airlines and when we came back within the hour the price had raised by about $50 for the same seat so that was frustrating.

Jaicee Roden

February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love that we are able to collect Delta Skymiles. My husband and I cash in once a year, and it's nice to be able to have a more affordable getaway through this program. We use Delta for all of our flight needs.

Charlene Mackay

February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve always had really good luck with Delta flights being on time and comfortable. I love their technology that lets you quickly and easily check in a get a boarding pass right on your phone.

Camber

February 11th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the airline I've had the best experience with, in terms of keeping luggage straight, infrequent delays, and friendly staff. I dislike the added fees for checking luggage and for trip insurance, but that seems to be the norm these days.

Breeana Hicken

February 11th, 2019 Heber, UT

I fly delta everywhere I go!!! They have amazing service good airplane food and are always on call when you need them

Amanda

February 11th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We enjoy flying with Delta. The planes are comfortable and the staff is always very friendly.

Zack

February 7th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta Airlines in my opinion is one of the best airlines out there. Even though their planes are similar to other airlines, they don't cut you on the complimentary side. The seats are fairly roomy and soft, and their service is always flawless and smooth.

Brody B

February 7th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great flight options, low airfare and awesome customer service. I always fly Delta and have never been disappointed. They always seem to have the smoothest flights and friendliest flight attendants.

Erikka N

February 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We use Delta a lot when flying. My flights have rarely been delayed more then 30 minutes. Most of the time check in and boarding goes really smooth. Flight attendants have been very helpful . I do not like the added fees for baggage. The snacks provided are ok for kids. Generally a good reliable airline.

Stanley Shatsky

February 6th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very poor on-time reliability, most especially compared with others flying same route

Rita

February 6th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our last flight was a good experience. The Delta flight attendants were excellent.

Jim McElveen

February 6th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service. Planes are usually Trouble free.

Michael Kiser

February 6th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

International flight was a nightmare. Failure to get luggage on the departure flight from Little Rock. Long delay in Atlanta causing the flight to Ghana, West Africa to be missed. No service at JFK airport upon arriving late. Poorest treatment of a traveling customer I have ever received in my 43 years of international flying.

Ralph Annunziata

February 6th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Newer planes, usually on time. Cancellation policy is horrendous.

Willa

February 6th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great! Reservations and changing flight and the only improvement is on time flights

McKinzie Figueroa

February 6th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta has gone from a great company to not so much. Yes, their snacks during your flight are great, but the flight attendants have gone downhill. The last few times we have flown with them they have been rude and act a little snobby. The prices are decent, but for the way that you are treated I would not recommend it.

Tim Berrett

February 6th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta used to have great service, a great loyalty rewards program and everything going for it. It was at the top of the game. Something changed and Delta is now a penny pinching company that continues to squeeze its passengers for as much as it possibly can. The service has declined and the experience is sub-par. They are no longer my first choice for travel.

Sunny Perry

February 6th, 2019 Springville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer service was helpful when I had a child ride by herself. They made sure she was safe. Grateful