Delta Airlines is one of the largest American airlines and is headquartered at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. It has one of the largest network hubs in the world and flies to over 325 destinations in 64 different countries. What began as Huff Daland Dusters, a crop dusting service, later became Delta Air Services with passenger flights starting in June 1929.

2013 saw Delta become the world's largest airline in terms of scheduled passengers, and the second largest in terms of revenue passenger-kilometers.

The company has worked extensively to make sure that customers have perks on most (if not all) planes in its fleet.

Passengers in the wide-bodied Boeing 766 are guaranteed to have wireless Internet available. Other models of planes may have Wi-Fi, but this feature has to be added to some planes (especially the fleet of Airbus and smaller narrow-bodied models).

Delta Sky Magazine, which is published by MSP Communications offers customers a wide variety of items to be perused in-flight.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Delta reviews from real customers.

View Best Airlines

The Good

• Rewards Program
  • Payment Options
  • Lots of Destinations
  • Varied Fleet
  • In-Flight Food and Beverages
  • Customer Service
  • On-Time Flights

Rewards Program

There is a lot to like about Delta's SkyMiles rewards program. It is one of the only airlines in the industry to not let its customers' frequent flier miles expire. This perk for returning customers provides the potential for significant value over time.

Additional perks that come with being a SkyMiles member include flight upgrades, vacation packages, and other amenities.

There are no blackout dates for Delta's SkyMiles program.

Transparency is an important component of Delta's packages. Their travel insurance (offered through Allianz) is straightforward, easy-to-understand, and is perfect for nearly every passenger.

Payment Options

Another positive aspect of flying with Delta is that you are able to pay for a flight with sources of credit other than a credit card. Another payment option that could be used, for example, is Bill Me Later.

Lots of Destinations

Delta has a wide array of destinations available for its clients. Their network of partners makes it easy for customers to get anywhere in the United States.

In some states, it was also possible to get to smaller cities through some of their partners. For example, we found that Moab, UT (a popular tourist spot) has scheduled service with SkyWest and Delta.

Varied Fleet

Another thing that separates Delta from their competition is their fleet of planes. Several Airbus and Boeing models are used in its wide-bodied fleet, and come with Wi-Fi, LCD displays (as of 2012), and AC power for laptops (on some planes).

Many narrow-bodied planes, mainly used for smaller connecting flights, also have Wi-Fi and other entertainment options available for customers.

In-Flight Food and Beverages

The carrier has an extensive meal service for its flights, and any flight over six hours has a complimentary meal.

There is a wide variety of beverages available on flights. Alcoholic beverages include wine, beer, and some other liquor varieties that vary in price based upon the flight.

Also, all non-alcoholic beverages (including soda and coffee) are free.

A customer service experience with Delta is most likely to be positive. The website is filled with information that potential fliers may ask. It is simple to contact customer support via Domestic Flight Booking service number (800-221-1212), to ask specific questions about prices for purchasing a ticket. This is also a great place, along with their website, to get information about travel insurance.

On-Time Flights

As per Flightstats.com, Delta flights arrive on-time roughly 87% of the time. Compared to other top airlines, this is very competitive.

The Bad

• Baggage Fees
  • Upgrade Issues

Baggage Fees

Let's face it; airlines can have a lot of problems when it comes to baggage. The largest complaints with Delta seems to stem from checked baggage fees. Some customers complained about the second checked baggage fee of $35. When customers take a carry-on that should be checked, some became offended at the complimentary free baggage check after check-in.

Upgrade Issues

Going overseas, some customers had issues with the economy upgrade perks to their ticket. When the economy comfort perks had been "overbooked," customers were issued a refund, but often complained at not getting the experience that they had originally paid for.

Overall, these complaints were to be expected when flying in general, and most customers were pleased with their Delta experience.

The Bottom Line

We have the utmost faith in recommending Delta as an airline. We really liked the company's outstanding reputation with customers and the SkyMiles rewards program. It's very rare to find an airline that doesn't let your frequent flier miles expire. However, with Delta, your coverage will vary. There are some changes between the SkyMiles 2015 plan and the 2014 plan and these depend upon the flight purchased and where your flight is going.

Delta is also environmentally friendly. In 2008, they started using a Pre-Kote, a surface treatment to prevent corrosion on its aircraft.

Overall, we feel like Delta is on the cutting edge in terms of customer service and its SkyMiles Program.

View Best Airlines

Justin Riggs

February 14th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I flew from SLC to St. Louis on a direct flight. On time, comfortable seat, free texting in the flight!

Joseph rex

February 14th, 2020 Nampa, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like flying Delta, they go a lot of places out of Salt Lake City where I’m from. The only thing I don’t like about Delta is that they price gouge as it gets closer to your date to fly. A lot of times I don’t know when I’m going to fly until last minute.

take7

February 14th, 2020 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

With 6 kids I need easy and efficient and Delta gives me that when I travel around with them. The ticketing and gate agents are helpful and accommodating when I have the kids. Inflight they are helpful too and the pilots are comforting. My bags are well cared for and arrive on time. When they’ve been late they make it right and deliver late at night. Customer service has helped me change flights and rebook with ease even when I’m frustrated.

Denise Riggs

February 14th, 2020 Midvale, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great airline. I especially love the inflight entertainment. So many movie/show/game options. I forget I am flying.

Brent Robbins

February 14th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Are recently flight with our family was a great experience. The crew was very nice and it our children were so entertained with the great movie/TV selection that was provided.

Annie Robbins

February 14th, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta customer service has gone above and beyond helping my family get a decent rate and to accommodating us to site together. I recommend flying Delta when you have children. They have made it such a pleasant experience!

Anika Cook

February 14th, 2020 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It’s a great airline. It’s good but can be extremely stressful. Flys quick. Good experience

amy rex

February 14th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Loved flying Delta to Amesterdam. Great inflight entertainment and the food just kept coming.

Amy Christian

February 14th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Overall, I like delta. Fares, website, free bag w/using amex. The only time I question if I love them is on board, flight attendants can seem a little grumpy at times.

Kaitlyn McBride

February 13th, 2020 Roy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great experience! I’m a frequent flyer and delta is my favorite airline. Great experience

Shane Russell

February 13th, 2020 Fort Worth, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have flown with Delta for personal and business frequently over the past two years. I appreciate their customer service and attention to detail.

Randy Rhodes

February 13th, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Just flew to Dallas last week. On time, accommodated me on an exit row since I am 6’ 6” and really appreciate the extra room for my long legs. Always seem to have a good experience with Delta.

Kbr

February 13th, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have been great to be on time and no cancelled flights. Great flight attendants

Michael Palmiotto

February 13th, 2020 , NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great airline with sometimes questionable service due to delays and cancellations, but overall more reliable than other airlines.

Savanna

February 13th, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta has always been great at meeting our family’s various accommodations on the flights we go on.

Quinn Johnson

February 13th, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

In-flight entertainment screen wasn’t working during 10-hour flight, but they gave me a bunch of skymiles as compensation.

Rebecca Horne

February 13th, 2020 Lewiston, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service. We just booked our European trip over the phone with a Delta representative. He gave us great suggestions and stay on the phone with us until we were satisfied with our booking

Poundesk

February 13th, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta has a major hub in my local area and fly everywhere I want to go. Great service!

Nicholas Genes

February 13th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This airline is overpriced and overpacked. I never have a good seat and pay a lot for subpar upgrade.

C. Horne

February 13th, 2020 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Favorite airlines to fly on. Everyone is very friendly and very willing to be problem solvers. I really don’t appreciate the comfort animals that are on the planes. Very annoying.

Claribel Galeano

February 13th, 2020 Upper Marlboro, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I fly I love using this airline they are amazing and I feel very comfy and choose them anytime time I go anywhere

Lindsey Newman

February 13th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had great experiences on Delta. My husband uses delta for al this travel and I absolutely love the rewards program and the sky miles he earns to take me on trips!

Danielle Parry

February 12th, 2020 Wylie, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is always very professional. Never worry about my flight when flying with delta.

Mariana Linares

February 12th, 2020 , NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have flown Delta multiple times over the last year. They have excellent customer service and will work with you on any travel difficulties such as flight delays or cancellations.

Olivia Hakes

February 12th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love their flight attendants and I always land early! The flight is always smooth and I feel so comfortable

Trevor Hodson

February 11th, 2020 Sacramento, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are a great company with good service and exceptional quality. The room isn’t the best on flights because I am 6’4”.

marco

February 11th, 2020 Munford, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It used to be really bad, no one helped me much at the airport ,the website was not intuitive but now it is decent major improvement in check in and way better customer service

Tamera Buchanan

February 11th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Just flew to London and the service was fantastic. Do wish there was a little more room.

Charlotte

February 11th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Professional and courteous. I appreciate the organization and communication before boarding and during the flight. My experience during the flights have been calm and positive! I gave up flying United, even though my nearest airport is Newark, because of their horrible customer service at airport and in-flight. Delta is my new first choice in airlines!

Keith Payne

February 11th, 2020 Okeana, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Entertainment System is not wireless. I could not connect my noise cancelling headphones to watch a movie.

Edward Young

February 11th, 2020 Midland, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent customer service and on time flights with reasonable air fares.

Raghda Hassan

February 11th, 2020 Atlanta, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had trouble with my luggage they helped in very sweet way, and they responded to me every time I sent them email

Sonya Ingram

February 11th, 2020 Memphis, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very reliable, on time and great rates staff were very professional and eager to help overall I very much enjoyed the flight and will use again

RAYMON B SINGH

February 11th, 2020 Kissimmee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great experience travelling ,the service is very good at checking, the seats are clean and comfortable

Enedina

February 11th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I prefer Delta airlines. I always enjoy flying delta because to me it is the best airline in the world. Delta's employees are always friendly and helpful. I can always expect good service and good treatment; they treat me like a royal person, because I am. I am a child of King Jesus; I am a Princess!

Cheryl Moffitt

February 11th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It was a great flight. We got back thirty minutes earlier than expected. I was able to fly standby and get back early . Thank you so much!!!

fernandopessoa

February 11th, 2020 Cheyenne, WY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is my favorite airline. We just flew delta to Hawaii and it was great. The flight was on time and the staff were helpful and accommodating!

Mickey Wilson

February 10th, 2020 Sacramento, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I fly, I prefer to fly Delta. The extra amenities offered compared to other airlines puts them ahead in the game

Jonathan B Wrigley

February 10th, 2020 Cedar Fort, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like Delta. I've flown with them many times and it's always been a good experience. I like the personal monitors for each seat and the additional amenities they provide to make the flight more comfortable.

Jillaine Clark

February 10th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is trustworthy and one of my go to Airlines. I've never had an issue with them. Thank you!

Camille

February 10th, 2020 Lynnwood, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Nice in flight service. I like that the pre-flight instructions are on video screens.

Ashley Wadiak

February 10th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love delta amazing customer service ! Cannot express how superior they are to other airlines .

Angie Falkner

February 10th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great service from the ticket counter to the gate. We don't fly with any other airlines anymore. Best airline out there!

Isabel

February 10th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is great! The customer service is so friendly. They take good care of their customers.

Bailey Wilson

February 10th, 2020 Lubbock, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hostesses we very kind, flight was a little bumpy but its not the company's fault.

Kelly comstock

February 7th, 2020 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great place when you need to travel always professional and treat me with rrespect

Corbett Douglas

February 7th, 2020 Cedar Fort, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I fly Delta whenever the Navy sends me somewhere. They are always friendly and courteous.

Patricia Broadus

February 7th, 2020 Moselle, MS

Delta airlines is an amazing company! They have always treated their customers/passengers with the utmost respect. I’ve never had a bad experience!

Johnathan kelly

February 7th, 2020 Gulfport, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love flying delta. We flew across seas to Ireland and they served us food and snacks every hour it felt like. Usually fly with delta bc they have the best schedule.

Gregory Evans

February 7th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

flight staff was awesome ,very friendly ,did.t get mad at all when I joined the mile high club