Delta Airlines is one of the largest American airlines and is headquartered at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. It has one of the largest network hubs in the world and flies to over 325 destinations in 64 different countries. What began as Huff Daland Dusters, a crop dusting service, later became Delta Air Services with passenger flights starting in June 1929.

2013 saw Delta become the world's largest airline in terms of scheduled passengers, and the second largest in terms of revenue passenger-kilometers.

The company has worked extensively to make sure that customers have perks on most (if not all) planes in its fleet.

Passengers in the wide-bodied Boeing 766 are guaranteed to have wireless Internet available. Other models of planes may have Wi-Fi, but this feature has to be added to some planes (especially the fleet of Airbus and smaller narrow-bodied models).

Delta Sky Magazine, which is published by MSP Communications offers customers a wide variety of items to be perused in-flight.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Delta reviews from real customers.

View Best Airlines

The Good

• Rewards Program
  • Payment Options
  • Lots of Destinations
  • Varied Fleet
  • In-Flight Food and Beverages
  • Customer Service
  • On-Time Flights

Rewards Program

There is a lot to like about Delta's SkyMiles rewards program. It is one of the only airlines in the industry to not let its customers' frequent flier miles expire. This perk for returning customers provides the potential for significant value over time.

Additional perks that come with being a SkyMiles member include flight upgrades, vacation packages, and other amenities.

There are no blackout dates for Delta's SkyMiles program.

Transparency is an important component of Delta's packages. Their travel insurance (offered through Allianz) is straightforward, easy-to-understand, and is perfect for nearly every passenger.

Payment Options

Another positive aspect of flying with Delta is that you are able to pay for a flight with sources of credit other than a credit card. Another payment option that could be used, for example, is Bill Me Later.

Lots of Destinations

Delta has a wide array of destinations available for its clients. Their network of partners makes it easy for customers to get anywhere in the United States.

In some states, it was also possible to get to smaller cities through some of their partners. For example, we found that Moab, UT (a popular tourist spot) has scheduled service with SkyWest and Delta.

Varied Fleet

Another thing that separates Delta from their competition is their fleet of planes. Several Airbus and Boeing models are used in its wide-bodied fleet, and come with Wi-Fi, LCD displays (as of 2012), and AC power for laptops (on some planes).

Many narrow-bodied planes, mainly used for smaller connecting flights, also have Wi-Fi and other entertainment options available for customers.

In-Flight Food and Beverages

The carrier has an extensive meal service for its flights, and any flight over six hours has a complimentary meal.

There is a wide variety of beverages available on flights. Alcoholic beverages include wine, beer, and some other liquor varieties that vary in price based upon the flight.

Also, all non-alcoholic beverages (including soda and coffee) are free.

A customer service experience with Delta is most likely to be positive. The website is filled with information that potential fliers may ask. It is simple to contact customer support via Domestic Flight Booking service number (800-221-1212), to ask specific questions about prices for purchasing a ticket. This is also a great place, along with their website, to get information about travel insurance.

On-Time Flights

As per Flightstats.com, Delta flights arrive on-time roughly 87% of the time. Compared to other top airlines, this is very competitive.

The Bad

• Baggage Fees
  • Upgrade Issues

Baggage Fees

Let's face it; airlines can have a lot of problems when it comes to baggage. The largest complaints with Delta seems to stem from checked baggage fees. Some customers complained about the second checked baggage fee of $35. When customers take a carry-on that should be checked, some became offended at the complimentary free baggage check after check-in.

Upgrade Issues

Going overseas, some customers had issues with the economy upgrade perks to their ticket. When the economy comfort perks had been "overbooked," customers were issued a refund, but often complained at not getting the experience that they had originally paid for.

Overall, these complaints were to be expected when flying in general, and most customers were pleased with their Delta experience.

The Bottom Line

We have the utmost faith in recommending Delta as an airline. We really liked the company's outstanding reputation with customers and the SkyMiles rewards program. It's very rare to find an airline that doesn't let your frequent flier miles expire. However, with Delta, your coverage will vary. There are some changes between the SkyMiles 2015 plan and the 2014 plan and these depend upon the flight purchased and where your flight is going.

Delta is also environmentally friendly. In 2008, they started using a Pre-Kote, a surface treatment to prevent corrosion on its aircraft.

Overall, we feel like Delta is on the cutting edge in terms of customer service and its SkyMiles Program.

View Best Airlines

Kate Butler

February 21st, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I enjoyed flying with them. It is a great experience and they relieve the stress of forgetting your earbuds by giving you free ones! I would choose delta airlines always:)

Jen N Jim Brown

February 21st, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I enjoy Delta Airlines very much. When cost or the possibility of having a change in flight is not an issue I will always choose Delta. However one thing that is very frustrating to me is the cost to change a flight. If there is availability on an earlier or later flight you should not be penalized.

Jasmyne Love

February 21st, 2020 Hayward, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use Delta Airlines whenever I travel and each time I have a good experience. The flight attendants were always on top of their job and the same goes for the pilot. I enjoyed the drink and food options throughout the flight. Highly recommend.

Halle Rex

February 21st, 2020 Albuquerque, NM DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had a long flight and had an amazing experience. The crew was so kind and they fed us frequently.

FABIO CAVALCANTI

February 21st, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Delta airlines. For me it is the best company to fly with.. Normally on time and when there are issues on the trip, they know how to treat the customer. I've been a customer for years and I like their rewards program.

Eric

February 21st, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta has been my best flying experience by far. Typically flights leave and arrive on time. Excellent service. Comfortable seats. They aren't necessarily the lowest priced airline, but well worth the extra money.

[email protected]

February 21st, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have flown with Delta Airlines in the United States and on international flights. I love the promptness of their service people if I have a question that I need a quick response for. I have been using their Delta Credit card to acquire frequent flyer miles. Their program is very flexible and I have enjoyed business class, ecomony comfort and basic economy seats. The cabins are clean and comfortable. The stewardess are happy and quick to assist you with any problem. Only once did I have to stay overnight due to a mechanical problem. I was reimbursed with money pluse extra frequent flier miles added to my account. I have never had any luggage lost when I have traveled internationally to numerous countries. I always look at Delta Airlines first whenever I need to fly somewhere. I have had great success with getting the most for my money with Delta!

Customer

February 21st, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My flights are always on time with Delta and their customer service went the extra mile to make sure my needs were met.

clint_jen22

February 21st, 2020 Payson, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I fly Delta often for work out of Salt Lake City, and I love the service that I get from this airline. The planes are top notch, the employees are friendly and competent, and the fares out of SLC are competitive with most other airline choices we have.

CarenM

February 21st, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta Airlines has always been more than fair with me. Always helpful! Delta anytime!

Brenda Thomas

February 21st, 2020 Ferron, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love flying Delta airlines because of the service and attention that you get on each flight I have alway been treat very courteous each time I fly.

Ad

February 21st, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I just booked a flight with Delta. It was pretty easy and there were a lot of daily flight options. I don't like that they charge for a checked bag (I guess that means I'm carrying everything on board).

Nicholas Cloward

February 21st, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I preferred airline. I think their prices are competitive, I appreciate their customer service. They are clean airline, and very dependable.

Jeremy Lucas

February 21st, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta has really put a lot of time and effort into making your traveling experience great. Their airplanes are comfortable, extremely clean, and stylish.

Dwhoush

February 21st, 2020 Slidell, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta creates a very good overall environment with their services. You pay more, you get more. They are still reasonably priced to where anyone can fly.

Karina Aguilar

February 21st, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I do like delta for their great prices but I do not agree with the fact they still dont allow pit bull service dogs.

Brandie Rudy

February 21st, 2020 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love flying Delta. The inflight amenities are simple but meet my needs. The service is great and always accommodating. There are always plenty of flight choices and I love having multiple times and dates to choose from especially all the non-stop options.

Lucy Mair

February 20th, 2020 Springville, UT

Delta is a good airline. We have had many good and bad things happen. The service is ok but it's not grand. Most of the time the staff is really nice and they are helpful.

Macky Treanor

February 20th, 2020 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta always takes amazing care of me from start to finish! And the attendants are kind and helpful. Would 10/10 recommend Delta when traveling!!

oscarlia

February 20th, 2020 Provo, UT

The best service! And I love that the Pilot leaves a handwritten note of thanks on your seat! I love flying Delta!

Riley Smith

February 20th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The direct flight from Salt Lake City to Cleveland Ohio was a great idea! My wife and I love not having to have a layover!

Silvia Lobendahn

February 20th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta has been very accommodating and helpful when I fly with them. I love the app and it has been user friendly to book and check on my flights. Check-in is also a breeze with the app. Thanks Delta for making flying easier.

Tj Black

February 20th, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I needed to fly my 12 year old daughter to salt lake city to San Diego for a volleyball tournament by herself. Delta airlines unaccompanied minor program put my worries to rest. I delivered her at the gate to the flight attendant and she was handed off to there trust worthy designated adult upon arrival. Deltas customer service was prompt , courteous and reliable. They took good care of her and made sure she was safe while on the flight. I highly recommend their service.

Valentino Chanel

February 20th, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve flown delta a lot. Their customer service is very helpful and courteous. I know people who work for delta and they seem to love it

Victor Sandoval

February 20th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best airline that have traveled with have never had issues booking flights and very reliable and consistent with their service.

Virginia Rosenthal

February 20th, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I do like the convenience of flying Delta out of Salt Lake because of the many flight options, but it seems like seat options are always limited for those of us who don't travel a lot.

Mark falkner

February 20th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is a great airline. I trust them to give me a god flight. Might not be the cheapest but worth the $

Kilee Wagner

February 20th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our favorite airline to fly by far. Always have the best customer service and like that you don't have to pay extra for drinks!

JDWain

February 20th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I fly quite often for work and I usually fly Delta Airlines, I find that their staff is the most kind and they have never lost any of my luggage-unlike some other airlines

Deryl

February 20th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is the best airline I have ever flown on. They offer amazing friends and have a great staff.

Rebecca

February 20th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Delta Airlines. The staff is super friendly and every flight runs great without stress.

Yisha Gu

February 20th, 2020 Downers Grove, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We booked flights from Boston to Washington, DC with an hour layover in New York City. After using multiple airlines, Delta comes out on top for superior customer service. The staff are clearly motivated, engaged, and interested in any passenger needs. I appreciate so much that about every hour or so there are staff up and down the aisles offering drinks and one can always go to the kitchen area for more if needed.

Kaitlyn Rios

February 20th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta Airlines is the best choice for my business travel. They offer the most flight times options, best routes, and easiest travel reservations. I love the full service I get when traveling. Also there prices are fantastic!

London Larson

February 20th, 2020 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The seats were comfortable. i had a flight that had some turbulence but it’s normal and wasn’t that bad.

Aimee Mortensen

February 19th, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Seems as though Delta offers more direct flights. And their sky miles program seems to be better than other programs. I choose to fly Delta whenever I can. It’s too bad you have to pay for checked bags.

Cim Carver

February 19th, 2020 Cheyenne, WY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve been flying Delta for almost 20 years. Every time I try another airline I’m reminded why I fly Delta. They are a little more money sometimes, but well worth it for the on-time reliability, service, and quality.

Christy Suguturaga

February 19th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great value. It’s usually the best price I can find. Cozy seats with plenty of leg room and lots of overhead space

Chantell Filiaga

February 19th, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love Delta. Never had a problem flying with them. Services have always been good. I’ve flown on Delta for years and have always been treated very well. I’ve flown since I was 8 by myself and the staff was always kind and made me feel comfortable and safe while I was by myself.

April H

February 19th, 2020 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is always very nice. As in quality. I used to fly more but my most recent flight was on Delta and it was very sleek and comfortable. High quality. It always feels clean, safe and customer service is top notch.

Nichole Hiatt

February 19th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our Delta flight was outstanding. The attendants were friendly and the plane was always clean and well kept.

Molly Keogh

February 19th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It had very good quality. I was nice and if I need any thing they were on it. I was comfortable during the entire flight and well taken care of.

ltrain8796

February 19th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

There are many options for flights from early morning to late in the day. Delta has a great app that makes traveling simple.

Kaysha Love

February 19th, 2020 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta airlines is a one of the most reliable airlines in my opinion. I think its priced well and I've noticed delta flys everywhere. I often find it frustrating when booking a ticket to a smaller city, some bigger airlines dont fly there but delta flys everywhere.

B Bartholomew

February 18th, 2020 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the perks they provide to make travel more enjoyable and for a seasoned traveler they offer great rewards and benefits.

Syl

February 18th, 2020 North Port, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

As a business traveler Delta is the best airlines in US. The employees are well prepared and very kindness.

Rommie Bishop III

February 18th, 2020 Rexburg, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The stewardesses always are so friendly when I fly for Delta! I know its a part of their job, but they don't have to be as nice as they are with me.

Bennett Robinson

February 18th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is a nice airline that will always take care of their passengers. I have had my flight canceled with Delta due to weather and the made many accommodations to make sure I was comfortable.

Stephanie Love

February 14th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve enjoyed using Delta airlines. I use them a lot. I have the app on my phone and it’s extremely user friendly. The app gives me updates on my flights and lets me check-in 24 hours ahead, which saves time at the airport not having to wait in line. I will continue using Delta.

norasugu

February 14th, 2020 Kaneohe, HI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Really like the service and TVs. Flights are comfortable and I enjoy flying with Delta.

Mike Ika

February 14th, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is my favorite airline to fly. Their app is easy and convenient to use. I can check in on the app, purchase upgrades using the app, change my seat using the app, and even change flights using the app. The flight attendants are also very friendly, professional, and positive. Over the past 6 months, I have flown on Delta to Los Angeles, Atlanta, and Oakland.