Delta Airlines is one of the largest American airlines and is headquartered at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. It has one of the largest network hubs in the world and flies to over 325 destinations in 64 different countries. What began as Huff Daland Dusters, a crop dusting service, later became Delta Air Services with passenger flights starting in June 1929.

2013 saw Delta become the world's largest airline in terms of scheduled passengers, and the second largest in terms of revenue passenger-kilometers.

The company has worked extensively to make sure that customers have perks on most (if not all) planes in its fleet.

Passengers in the wide-bodied Boeing 766 are guaranteed to have wireless Internet available. Other models of planes may have Wi-Fi, but this feature has to be added to some planes (especially the fleet of Airbus and smaller narrow-bodied models).

Delta Sky Magazine, which is published by MSP Communications offers customers a wide variety of items to be perused in-flight.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Delta reviews from real customers.

View Best Airlines

The Good

• Rewards Program
  • Payment Options
  • Lots of Destinations
  • Varied Fleet
  • In-Flight Food and Beverages
  • Customer Service
  • On-Time Flights

Rewards Program

There is a lot to like about Delta's SkyMiles rewards program. It is one of the only airlines in the industry to not let its customers' frequent flier miles expire. This perk for returning customers provides the potential for significant value over time.

Additional perks that come with being a SkyMiles member include flight upgrades, vacation packages, and other amenities.

There are no blackout dates for Delta's SkyMiles program.

Transparency is an important component of Delta's packages. Their travel insurance (offered through Allianz) is straightforward, easy-to-understand, and is perfect for nearly every passenger.

Payment Options

Another positive aspect of flying with Delta is that you are able to pay for a flight with sources of credit other than a credit card. Another payment option that could be used, for example, is Bill Me Later.

Lots of Destinations

Delta has a wide array of destinations available for its clients. Their network of partners makes it easy for customers to get anywhere in the United States.

In some states, it was also possible to get to smaller cities through some of their partners. For example, we found that Moab, UT (a popular tourist spot) has scheduled service with SkyWest and Delta.

Varied Fleet

Another thing that separates Delta from their competition is their fleet of planes. Several Airbus and Boeing models are used in its wide-bodied fleet, and come with Wi-Fi, LCD displays (as of 2012), and AC power for laptops (on some planes).

Many narrow-bodied planes, mainly used for smaller connecting flights, also have Wi-Fi and other entertainment options available for customers.

In-Flight Food and Beverages

The carrier has an extensive meal service for its flights, and any flight over six hours has a complimentary meal.

There is a wide variety of beverages available on flights. Alcoholic beverages include wine, beer, and some other liquor varieties that vary in price based upon the flight.

Also, all non-alcoholic beverages (including soda and coffee) are free.

A customer service experience with Delta is most likely to be positive. The website is filled with information that potential fliers may ask. It is simple to contact customer support via Domestic Flight Booking service number (800-221-1212), to ask specific questions about prices for purchasing a ticket. This is also a great place, along with their website, to get information about travel insurance.

On-Time Flights

As per Flightstats.com, Delta flights arrive on-time roughly 87% of the time. Compared to other top airlines, this is very competitive.

The Bad

• Baggage Fees
  • Upgrade Issues

Baggage Fees

Let's face it; airlines can have a lot of problems when it comes to baggage. The largest complaints with Delta seems to stem from checked baggage fees. Some customers complained about the second checked baggage fee of $35. When customers take a carry-on that should be checked, some became offended at the complimentary free baggage check after check-in.

Upgrade Issues

Going overseas, some customers had issues with the economy upgrade perks to their ticket. When the economy comfort perks had been "overbooked," customers were issued a refund, but often complained at not getting the experience that they had originally paid for.

Overall, these complaints were to be expected when flying in general, and most customers were pleased with their Delta experience.

The Bottom Line

We have the utmost faith in recommending Delta as an airline. We really liked the company's outstanding reputation with customers and the SkyMiles rewards program. It's very rare to find an airline that doesn't let your frequent flier miles expire. However, with Delta, your coverage will vary. There are some changes between the SkyMiles 2015 plan and the 2014 plan and these depend upon the flight purchased and where your flight is going.

Delta is also environmentally friendly. In 2008, they started using a Pre-Kote, a surface treatment to prevent corrosion on its aircraft.

Overall, we feel like Delta is on the cutting edge in terms of customer service and its SkyMiles Program.

View Best Airlines

Brooke Linton

January 2nd, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband travels with Delta for work frequently and we are so happy with the experiences we have with them. Recently, we needed to travel for a funeral - my husband called Delta and they helped us book flights for us and my parents at a discounted rate. The best service around for an airline!

Kelsey Richins

December 31st, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love Delta Skymiles! Love that they don’t expire. The new and improved snacks are awesome. Haven’t had a bad experience on Delta other than when our flight was canceled but I received a large Skymiles credit for that. Would love it if they started experimenting with free WiFi.

Jacob

December 31st, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I highly recommend Delta. Delta is very reliable and often has the best prices. Delta also flies to many locations making your traveling easy, reliable, and affordable.

Dawn

December 30th, 2019 Grand Blanc, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I fly Delta airlines often from Flint to Pensacola. The staff is always courteous and they keep us informed of our flight status. They usually have the best flight times that are convenient for our schedule.

Adrianne murray

December 30th, 2019 Brigham City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband and I flew with them for our trip to Hawaii. They were friendly and the TVs at the seats were awesome. Tvs make the trip go by so much faster. Very friendly

Carol Carter

December 16th, 2019 Evansville, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve traveled a few times using a connection flight, no problems. Very nice flights. I liked that I got a drink choice and snacks.

BJ Tenney

December 12th, 2019 Woods Cross, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like flying with Delta and know what I'm going to get. They deliver a consistent experience, so I'll fly with them when I can get a reasonable price.

Angie Burnett

December 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have always enjoyed my flights on delta. I love their app, and the fact that I can pick my seat and meals through it along with track my luggage and get updates on my flights.

Myra Howes

December 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I always like flying Delta. I like the snacks and drinks offered each flight. I don't remember ever having any issues with my flight. I like the computers on the back of seats as you fly on some airplanes. I like being able to track my flight very easily. I have always liked my service with Delta.

Shiloe

December 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Check-in was easy and flight crew was friendly and professional. All the flights arrived on time and in-flight entertainment and refreshments were top-notch.

Mikilah

December 11th, 2019 Columbus, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I fly Delta's new straight shot from Columbus to SLC often. I love the routes they have and I always am impressed with the service onboard!

Roberson

December 9th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

As an airline its average. Flights are usually within the standard range, however seating is usually very cramped and there inst much space available.

Mary

December 6th, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hi, I'd like to file a serious complaint against a Delta Airline gate agent working at San Jose International Airport. Her name is DENISE (as shown on name tag) and is a black young lady with curly hair. She behaved VERY rudely to my husband and I as we waited to board the plane. She was untrained and unclear about the sequence of boarding, and as many passengers like us got confused, DENISE called people "stupid" and made many wait painfully as she tried to sort out her problems. I used to have good impression on Delta -- I don't anymore. This lady destroyed the image of Delta and is not professional/helpful to work as a flight agent.

Missy Ryan

December 5th, 2019 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great flight, great staff, comfortable seats, and an overall wonderful experience. I've never had any issues with Delta.

Sanetta Rigby

December 4th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had great experience with Delta Airlines. The flight attendees are kind and helpful. They provide drinks and snacks at no extra charge during flights. They also have movies available to watch in most of the planes I've been in.

Kimmi

December 4th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Nice airline if you travel a lot. They seem to fly everywhere. The skymiles are great. Easy to book and get the seats I'm looking for.

Missy Mamros

December 4th, 2019 Warrendale, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The worst airline. I basically will redirect my entire trip if the only flight available is with Delta. They need to work on their pricing and customer service the most.

Juan Lopez

December 4th, 2019 Beaver, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta airlines is always my preferred go to for traveling. They are well priced and there are never hidden fees. I would recommend.

Ann Wilkins

December 3rd, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is my first choice when flying anywhere if I can find and option that it competitively priced, especially when flying out of SLC since I can more often find a direct flight. My experience has generally been good, even when my luggage was temporarily lost and I was given an allowance to spend on clothes until my luggage could be located.

Sara Smith

December 2nd, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love flying on Delta as it's roomy, comfortable and a lot of entertainment options.

Larson

December 2nd, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The flight attendant was flipping hilarious!! He made my flight very enjoyable. The service was great!

BeauCarl

November 29th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta has a terrific skymiles loyalty program which creates loyal business travelers, so many in fact its very difficult for a non business traveler to reserve any good seats, no priority boarding, and luggage fees. However Delta can pretty much get you anywhere in the world if you can handle sitting in the back of the plane with no room between seats and seat cushions that have not been replaced in 15 years.

Connor

November 29th, 2019 Farmington, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'll always fly delta if it's offered at a competitive flight. I always enjoy their planes and get to my destination without a hitch. I've noticed other people with issues and it always gets resolved right away. Sometimes the flights get pretty expensive but I'm sure that's because they are in such high demand.

Nathan D.

November 27th, 2019 Warrendale, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is a pretty standard airline, gets you to where you need to go and back home with no expensive frills. They offer a small snack and free beverages during flights.

Michelle W

November 27th, 2019 Coraopolis, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is a good airline that makes me feel comfortable flying internationally. When I flew over seas to Europe last year, I was extremely grateful for the service and amenities that Delta provided.

Treyson Lewis

November 27th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta airlines is one of my favorite airlines to fly purly because of their service and happiness of their crew.

Steve

November 27th, 2019 Midway, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

With the exception of one hiccup I had where they canceled one of my legs without telling me and making me pay to rebook that flight, I have had nothing but positive experiences every time I've flown on Delta. Great customer service, great in-flight service. Good destinations.

Shannon B

November 27th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Overall, Delta is the best airline I've flown on. Tickets are typically a little more expensive than other airlines, but it's worth it to have peace of mind knowing that they'll get you where you want to go and on time.

Max Haynie

November 26th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love flying Delta because of the TV's on the back of the seats! I always look forward to it.

Mason Henrie

November 26th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is the best quality airline for a cheaper price. I rode first class and there was plenty of leg room, along with free drinks and wifi.

Luke Blake

November 26th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is the best airline for me and my family. We love their services and will continue to be their customers forever.

Lane Peters

November 26th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

really nice airline by far better than other airlines I've tried nice and there is no lay overs

Kreed Trane

November 26th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I flew Delta Airlines to Costa Rica. It was a great experience. I loved the comfortable seats they had.

gage trane

November 26th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Your workers are very kind and hard working when I flew with delta I had a great experience.

Cooper

November 26th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love delta airline my dad is a skymiles diamond member and we get treated so well with the food and the drinks the service is amazing

Carson Ormond

November 26th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The best quality ever in the world. It can get you every where and for a good price too.

Caleb Campbell

November 26th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Whenever I fly, I do it with Delta. Their service is unmatched. If you're flying I highly recommend flying with them.

Benji Frandsen

November 26th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I flew delta to orlando florida and was surprised by the service that they gave me. they gave me some delicious biscoff cookies and soda.

Amanda

November 26th, 2019 Warrendale, PA

Delta is one of my favorite airlines, I always know my flights will be on time and that I can trust their customer service.

Amanda

November 26th, 2019 Montebello, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have enjoyed being able to fly Delta Airlines. I find that it is better quality and cleaner than other airlines I have flown.

Daphne Brown

November 25th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I wish they had more cheaper flights but one of my favorite airlines to fly. And for my airport they have some incredible connections.

Ariana Giles

November 22nd, 2019 San Antonio, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Awesome company ! Always great customer service, love flying with them ! Will continue using them for all my flights

Martha Gourley

November 20th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I fly on Delta regularly. They are generally on time.....not always. They have the same old snacks for years. Some variety and better choices would be nice.

Spencer Morris (Logan)

November 19th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is always my standby. Easy to book, nice to get seats-- just the best way to fly. Easy to use points too

Tom Gourley

November 19th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is generally on time performance. Employees are pleasant to work with and helpful.

Courtney carlson

November 19th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We only fly Delta we are skymiles members. We love their staff and the service is always outstanding. We love the airplanes and our kids love the tv’s so they can watch movies.

Alex Danielson

November 19th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We've always have had great experiences when flying Delta. I love how they've been up front on pricing and they have always tried to accommodate our situations and circumstances!

Kathryn

November 18th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Delta to book international and domestic flights many times over the years. I have enjoyed each of my experiences and found the flight attendants to be professional and the pilots to be responsible and attentive to the safety of the passengers. I also love that I don’t have to pay for a carry-on!

Jeremy Brown

November 18th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the selection of flights and they always seem to be just right time for me. I always seem to get great service on my flights and enjoy flying Delta. They are my first selection when I have to fly.

Brian Kessler

November 18th, 2019 Kennesaw, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Probably the best US airline in the industry. Employees are friendly and the airplanes are well maintained. In flight entertainment is top notch and the inflight wifi is reliable. Extensive domestic and international route structure.