Delta Airlines is one of the largest American airlines and is headquartered at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. It has one of the largest network hubs in the world and flies to over 325 destinations in 64 different countries. What began as Huff Daland Dusters, a crop dusting service, later became Delta Air Services with passenger flights starting in June 1929.

2013 saw Delta become the world's largest airline in terms of scheduled passengers, and the second largest in terms of revenue passenger-kilometers.

The company has worked extensively to make sure that customers have perks on most (if not all) planes in its fleet.

Passengers in the wide-bodied Boeing 766 are guaranteed to have wireless Internet available. Other models of planes may have Wi-Fi, but this feature has to be added to some planes (especially the fleet of Airbus and smaller narrow-bodied models).

Delta Sky Magazine, which is published by MSP Communications offers customers a wide variety of items to be perused in-flight.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Delta reviews from real customers.

View Best Airlines

The Good

• Rewards Program
  • Payment Options
  • Lots of Destinations
  • Varied Fleet
  • In-Flight Food and Beverages
  • Customer Service
  • On-Time Flights

Rewards Program

There is a lot to like about Delta's SkyMiles rewards program. It is one of the only airlines in the industry to not let its customers' frequent flier miles expire. This perk for returning customers provides the potential for significant value over time.

Additional perks that come with being a SkyMiles member include flight upgrades, vacation packages, and other amenities.

There are no blackout dates for Delta's SkyMiles program.

Transparency is an important component of Delta's packages. Their travel insurance (offered through Allianz) is straightforward, easy-to-understand, and is perfect for nearly every passenger.

Payment Options

Another positive aspect of flying with Delta is that you are able to pay for a flight with sources of credit other than a credit card. Another payment option that could be used, for example, is Bill Me Later.

Lots of Destinations

Delta has a wide array of destinations available for its clients. Their network of partners makes it easy for customers to get anywhere in the United States.

In some states, it was also possible to get to smaller cities through some of their partners. For example, we found that Moab, UT (a popular tourist spot) has scheduled service with SkyWest and Delta.

Varied Fleet

Another thing that separates Delta from their competition is their fleet of planes. Several Airbus and Boeing models are used in its wide-bodied fleet, and come with Wi-Fi, LCD displays (as of 2012), and AC power for laptops (on some planes).

Many narrow-bodied planes, mainly used for smaller connecting flights, also have Wi-Fi and other entertainment options available for customers.

In-Flight Food and Beverages

The carrier has an extensive meal service for its flights, and any flight over six hours has a complimentary meal.

There is a wide variety of beverages available on flights. Alcoholic beverages include wine, beer, and some other liquor varieties that vary in price based upon the flight.

Also, all non-alcoholic beverages (including soda and coffee) are free.

A customer service experience with Delta is most likely to be positive. The website is filled with information that potential fliers may ask. It is simple to contact customer support via Domestic Flight Booking service number (800-221-1212), to ask specific questions about prices for purchasing a ticket. This is also a great place, along with their website, to get information about travel insurance.

On-Time Flights

As per Flightstats.com, Delta flights arrive on-time roughly 87% of the time. Compared to other top airlines, this is very competitive.

The Bad

• Baggage Fees
  • Upgrade Issues

Baggage Fees

Let's face it; airlines can have a lot of problems when it comes to baggage. The largest complaints with Delta seems to stem from checked baggage fees. Some customers complained about the second checked baggage fee of $35. When customers take a carry-on that should be checked, some became offended at the complimentary free baggage check after check-in.

Upgrade Issues

Going overseas, some customers had issues with the economy upgrade perks to their ticket. When the economy comfort perks had been "overbooked," customers were issued a refund, but often complained at not getting the experience that they had originally paid for.

Overall, these complaints were to be expected when flying in general, and most customers were pleased with their Delta experience.

The Bottom Line

We have the utmost faith in recommending Delta as an airline. We really liked the company's outstanding reputation with customers and the SkyMiles rewards program. It's very rare to find an airline that doesn't let your frequent flier miles expire. However, with Delta, your coverage will vary. There are some changes between the SkyMiles 2015 plan and the 2014 plan and these depend upon the flight purchased and where your flight is going.

Delta is also environmentally friendly. In 2008, they started using a Pre-Kote, a surface treatment to prevent corrosion on its aircraft.

Overall, we feel like Delta is on the cutting edge in terms of customer service and its SkyMiles Program.

View Best Airlines

Susan Seasholtz

May 9th, 2017 Jacksonville, FL

From the reservation agents on the phone to the gate agents to the flight attendants to the pilots to the wheelchair assistants, A+. On a recent European trip, Delta handled flight problems and wheelchair assistance to be sure we had great seats and curb to aircraft wheelchair assistance for two travelers. The aircraft were well maintained and we were well fed. Not gourmet but good and plentiful. One Delta employee on one leg was a little grumpy but no big deal. I prefer Delta operated flights to Delta connection flights because they are more reliable, but I just haven't had the negative experiences people are posting. I had a girl try to take my seat but handled it myself.

Jim Gill

May 5th, 2017

The flight was on time and comfortable. The flight crew was fantastic.

Christina DiTore

April 6th, 2017

Flight was canceled with 6 minutes warning. Flights never board or depart on time. Garbage airline. Avoid at all costs.

Daniel Harbaugh

April 3rd, 2017 CA

First flight is late causing me to misd connection which left on time. Second flight now delayed 3 hrs. Both delays caused by crew issues. Delta...the worlds worse

David Silva

November 16th, 2016

Had seats together for months then check in not together.

Michael Newman

November 8th, 2016 Roanoke, VA

I travel well in excess of 200,000 miles a year and I have never had an experience that Delta has not stepped up and fixed. They are reaponsive and when I fly it is clear that they are happy that I am a customer. I will not fly another US carrier as there is not another who has the reach or the attitude to convince me otherwise.

Susannah Foster Grover

July 29th, 2016 American Fork, UT

The airline personnel were polite and generally helpful.

Karen Beckstead

June 13th, 2016 West Jordan, UT

Never have I been treated so horribly at a airlines ..... Going to Atlanta we sat with someone so large they took half my seat.....this not about fat people....it is about personnel that see my obvious discomfort leaning sideways on my companion traveling....I guess a 100% passenger goal is more important to Delta....HOWEVER.. getting back home we are "greeted" by a gestapo wannabe in loading pickup...I have no doubt that had a cattle prod been available we would have been herded into the nearest cattle car... No not only was the congestion bad but I called my ride to pick me up at DELTA 7 sign...he pulled over to pick me up and this broad Officer SL, ST or some stupid name told him he couldn't stop there...he explained he had talked to me and I was right there looking at him...the officer told him too bad and to move it. As soon as he started to complied and pulled...there I was right on que... ADDITIONAL INSULT....My companion's pickup received a $300 ticket for pulling along side a construction cone....Are you freaking kidding me???...Someone at Delta better do something with that out of control nut job turning paying customers into terrorized de-humanized cattle....I am VERY ANGRY!!! I WANT A CALL BACK...FLIGHT NIGHTMARE!!

John Hendricks

March 28th, 2016 Kearneysville, WV

they are a great airline they took care of me and my family on all of our flights even though we fly cheap we get treated like first class every time we fly with them DELTA ROCKS

Heather Andrews

February 3rd, 2016 Cedar Rapids, IA

Your flight attendants are so nasty to anyone they feel like being nasty to. Tonight I came off a flight in Cedar Rapids Iowa. I went to the hotel and it happened to be the same the attendants stay at and I caught the way she spoke to the hotel workers. Your attendants are nasty and rude and hassled the poor girl a the front desk bc they had to take a cab. the poor girl was alone and doing her best but your flight attendant was just awful. I will never fly delta again due to one employee's treatment of fellow humans. your people do not represent you in a very good light. I will boycott your airlines and encourage everyone I know to do so as well. TERRIBLE customer service from terrible workers. you should be ashamed Delta.

Whothat Ozzy

November 10th, 2015 Port Orchard, WA

I don't want to bash Delta. I just have a complaint and concerns that I have experienced out of Seattle and International flights. I am appalled that some Ground Agents and some Senior Flight Attendants are hateful and very curt to customers. I believe that everyone whom ever they are, should be treated with Respect, Integrity and Compassion. I flew some flights conus and overseasl and I can honestly say there are a majority of Awesome Delta Employees who make it worth coming back to fly Delta. I am just more concern that I never want to fly on a flight with a Senior Flight Attendantd who think they can be disrespectful and rude to passengers because they have authority, NOT ACCEPTABLE comment or behavior that I have heard and experienced a couple of times!! It matters NOT who ever a person is, EVERYONE needs to be treated with RESPECT, INTEGRITY and COMPASSION!! I luv Delta, just not those who are still employed with DESPICABLE Customer Service or NO regards for their passengers on the GROUND and AIR. Please remind your Ground Agents and MOST especially your SENIOR Flight Attendants who should know BETTER to treat EVERYONE with KINDNESS!!

Michael

August 26th, 2015

I have been a loyal Delta and Sky Miles member for many years. I was a Platinum member and I have just discovered that because I did not fly enough in 2014 and 2015, total trips 6 trips, they dropped my status to bronze as of this month. I am shocked and appalled by this, considering I have spent in the vicinity of $150.000 in tickets since 2011 alone. Therefore, I must say that I will be changing carriers on my next trip. This trip I am on now will be the last I take on any Sky Team carrier. I can see that Delta does not respect or care about their members in the least. It is a terrible way to treat loyal customers.

Carole Las Vegas NV

August 21st, 2015 Fairfield, CT

Old planes. High prices for small amount of luggage overage. $100 fee for 9lbs overweight. I was on a 2 month trip & had no place to shift that 9lbs..ROBBERS

Pilar Lopez

August 14th, 2015 Dyer, IN

First flight experience with Delta was a disaster and the worst flight experience. I flew from Chicago with a connecting flight in Detriot that was scheduled to leave for Florida at 10:13 a.m. There was a five hour delay for this flight to West Palm beach Florida. First we were told that we were waiting for the pilots to arrive, then we were told that the pilots arrived but the plane wasn't working, then we weren't able to leave until 1:00 p.m. because the flight list was incorrect after switching terminals three times so the plane couldn't leave until the passengers were accounted for. The flight left at 1:00 p.m. And I was scheduled to arrive in Florida at 1:00 p.m to make a cruise that left at 5:00 p.m. I arrived in Florida at 5:00p.m. and made it to the cruise ship at 6:00 p.m. Luckily the cruise ship waited because there were four other passengers who were going on the cruise. I will never fly Delta again and I'm very disappointed with their handling of this situation and all the aggravation that it caused me and the other passengers.

Bilbo

August 4th, 2015 Temple Hills, MD

Checked baggage deposited for travel at JFK lost for one week now. Delta is the most dysfunctional airline and JFK is the worst air terminal experienced in forty years of traveling.

Annette Lockwood

August 4th, 2015 Libertyville, IL

Thank you!!! As a long time, exclusive frequent flyer on Northwest/Delta, I could not be prouder of your decision regarding the ban on hunting trophies on your airlines. Add to that to my luck with your on-time record and minimal bag issues, you have my business loyalty. Thank you fir being brave enough to lead the change.

Kevin yoder

August 3rd, 2015 Saint Louis, MO

Flew to St louis for my sons hockey tournament. His stick didnt get on a connecting flight. They said it would be delivered late that night. Checked in the morning, no stick. He may miss his first game due to this. Delta stinks!!

Evelyn

July 31st, 2015 Clermont, FL

We only fly Delta. First class service. We fly first class in the US and Buisnes (I know I spelled that wrong-senior moment) class when leaving the US. We always use the Delta lounge.

Dr Milton P. Secord

July 31st, 2015 Torrance, CA

I always fly DELTA AIRLINES because from the start, they are very helpful with the reservation, the in cabin service is excellent and they are almost ALWAYS on time for departures and arrivals. They provide a wide variety of non-stop flights.

Lud Mushluck

July 29th, 2015 Houghton, MI

I fly Delta exclusively. Although 7-8 years ago they were dubious, now days the service is top shelf. You get the feeling from everyone in the organization that your business matters to them. I connect on regional jets to DTW or MSP. As is often the case there are "issues" with the regional jets. However, lately, the service associated with the delays caused by "issues" is extraordinary. Rebooking begins immediately, fees are waived, what ever they can do they do it. While you're waiting for your delayed flight they order in Subway sandwiches or McDonalds breakfast, or provide other snacks and beverages. Gone are the days when they treat you like a mushroom, if you know what I mean. I really enjoy flying Delta. probably shouldn't say that as it will jinx my next flight. But, I do. Good company and my hats off to the leadership in the company that really turned it around.

Thom

July 28th, 2015 Gretna, LA

I fly to L.A. a few times a year and have never had a problem with Delta. A few years ago I applied for the AmEx Gold Delta Skymiles card and was happy I did. I love the free first bag checked and the fact that I can board early. But, there is always a but. The ticket agents at the airport always give me a different answer as to whether I can check in through Sky Priority or through the non priority lane. On my last trip, when I got to the ticket agent, she told me that I could have gone through the Sky Priority lane because I have the gold card. That's not what I was told the prior trip. Ticket agents need to be "on board" with correct information about this. Not a big deal, just an observation. Other than that, all of my trips to L.A. or wherever I with Delta have always been nothing but positive!

Nestor Abonitalla

July 28th, 2015 Elizabeth, NJ

I took Delta to and from Manila on March 15 and July 15 respectively and I found their seat more comfortable and the food was almost excellent. Our trip was on time except for delayed flight from Detroit to Newark with acceptable reason. Overall my experience was excellent and if given the chance I will take my next trip (again) with Delta, only I am also weighing options on the fare price, and my latest trip was not so expensive. I hope I can get a better deal next year, thank you>

Paul West

July 28th, 2015 Valley View, TX

Just a shadow of it former self - now in the hands of bean counters. Avoid if possible.

jenny

July 28th, 2015 Winder, GA

Just paid $100 for 2nd checked bag to Croatia..That is way too much for any destination much less International....Not cool!

martha molitor

July 23rd, 2015 Howell, MI

Northwest Airlines I loved. Now Delta Airlines I love. While there can be delays, usually weather related, I've been able to work through it. And the possibly newest thing to get us on and seated, is the pre carryon boarding by staff. It makes boarding quicker. I saw some folks who were hesitant, but many were like my husband and I, willing. Delta is generally our first choice.

Ryan & Hannah

July 21st, 2015 Pleasant Grove, UT

My wife and I decided to join the Delta American Express Skymiles club because we wanted to travel to Europe. We joined the club last September and received 50,000 free bonus miles. The program was great for traveling because we each could check up to 2 bags and get on the plane early. We also got 1 mile for every dollar we spent. My only real complaint with Delta is it is almost impossible to get free flights. Even with the free 50,000 miles, flying more than 10 times in the year and buying everything with our Delta American Express card, we still could not get a free ticket for our flight to Europe in May with our miles. We were only able to knock off a few hundred bucks off of our ticket price. After that experience I did some research and found Delta is rated one of the worst mileage programs because it is almost impossible to get free flights. The flights were great but do not join their mileage program. It is a waste of money.

Mike P

July 1st, 2015 Milwaukee, WI

I flew Delta 2-4 times a nearly every week for nearly 3 years and only had 3 late flights and no cancellations. I have flown the other guys, but never the same luck. Domestic, I cannot complain about the service, though they do have some older planes, at least on shorter routes. Internationally I have flown all the US major Airlines and Delta wins hands down. Multiple free meals in coach, free beer/wine/soda, your own bottle of water, etc. I was even re-booked on a Delta flight after another airline's flight was canceled to Europe and stuck in the back of the plane, but the flight crew and service was so amazing it didn't even matter. I should clarify that I had status at United, American and Delta at one point and no longer fly as regularly and lost all of my cool perks, but I still will pay extra for Delta because I know that I will get there on time, or if not know that their people will get me to where I need to go in a reasonable amount of time. I can't say that for United or American, even when I had status I was left stranded. Highly recommend Delta over any other US based airline.

Lou Robinson

June 22nd, 2015 Whittier, CA

I meant to say the "call flight attendent" button was always on because it, too, was broken. Three hours into the flight an attendent asked if I needed something? I pointed to the button and the light and said "they're broken!" He just walked away without a word.

Lou Robinson

June 22nd, 2015 Whittier, CA

Simple maintenance is a problem on Delta flights. TWICE this year I have flown across the US on an evening Delta flight without a working reading light. This is inexcusable. I don't need TV, music or games but is it too much to ask to be able to read after spending $650.00 on my tickets? The "call flight attendent" button was always on but it was difficult to get some help. The LCD display that controls the reading light was mostly nonfunctioning, even after a reboot. The flight attendent never returned to ask if the reboot helped and my seats on both of yesterday's Delta flights had broken armrests. Also, I have excellent hearing but I usually cannot hear the pilots. Their voices are too low or soft, or are the speakers too weak? Who knows, I just hope it wasn't anything important. I'll be avoiding Delta for awhile.

Brian Nylaan

June 19th, 2015 Madison Heights, MI

To begin with, this review is not based on my flight experience as they are all the same, including the lack of legroom or is it on baggage as they have screwed up but always got my bags to me off the next flight inbound. What I am reviewing is how they handle customer service, especially cancellations. Now I could tell a lot of frustrating stories after which you would wonder why I use them. Basically it is because the stupid politicians let 9 airlines become 4 and the service has deteriorated since. Now, my latest is a direct return from LaGuardia to Grand Rapids Michigan during an off time. Nice day in New York and we are getting ready to go to the airport when I get a text 3 hours and 45 minutes before departure stating my flight has been cancelled. I had to call to find out it was weather, odd because there was no rain in NYC or in Michigan. Looked to be like a convenient excuse not to pay for a hotel and food, especially hearing the next day how my flight was quite empty two days before and now quite full. It really looks to me like someone lied in order to preserve that 98.7% capacity load on flights now a days. Delta did not care to compensate me for the $400 cost of my delay even through vouchers, probably because I flew on SkyMiles and wasn't worthy. They just offered little $50 trinkets we could pick from as well as a shallow apology. With only 4 airlines, I am stuck flying these turkeys but will hold my nose until I board as it could easily be a stinky experience.

Myra L,. Mitchell

June 12th, 2015 Milledgeville, GA

I flew to Colorado Springs on May 14 and as usual Delta lived up to their good name....I love flying Delta...Always a pleasurable experience...

Vlad Mazelis Sr.

June 11th, 2015 Kent, WA

Overall it's a fine airline, way better than the currently horrible United. The only complaint is too cramped leg space in regular economy seats.

Luz Arango

June 11th, 2015 Hollywood, FL

Over all I like Delta a lot, Hate the fact that they are charging for second bag but I guess we owed that to Spirit that changed a lot of the new regulations. That is an airline that I wont take for any money. DL customer service is very competitive, friendly, love the skymiles program and the Amex Dl for the rewards program as well. The way Atlanta airport is designed is super easy and friendly to move faster to the next connection.

Sylvia Overbey

June 10th, 2015 Roxboro, NC

My sister and I flew to NY in May on Delta and we are both seniors. We were treated very well. Attendants on the plane were very helpful in getting our carryon put away and asked if there was anything more they could do for us. I would most definitely choose Delta the next time I fly.

David Reed

June 10th, 2015 Bar Harbor, ME

In general, I prefer Delta over any other U.S. Airline for reliability and customer service and Skymiles. United Mileage Plus is also quite good for booking award reservations.. however flying United is another matter. My favorite airline to fly is Lufthansa..but rough and rude customer service. Air France I quite like. Delta is just OK..prices are high for getting not much..but that is the state of the airlines in the U.S.

TAYLOR

June 8th, 2015 Minneapolis, MN

DELTA BROKE MY TUMI BAG AND REFUSED TO FIX IT. VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE... JUST SAYING

richard sundown

June 4th, 2015 Niagara Falls, NY

never had a problem with Delta. Even when a flight delay held us up in Honolulu Delta re-booked us on a later connecting flight automatically. When they knew we would miss our connecting flight in Atlanta. The kept in constant contact via text, was nice to be kept in the loop.

Hershel Strickland

June 1st, 2015 San Antonio, TX

When I fly, Delta is one of the three carriers I will fly with. Pilots are great, so is the cabin crew, but the ground agents sometimes haven't been the most friendly to deal with when around the gate. But my overall experience has been wonderful each time I choose Delta. I have no problems giving Delta a hearty thumbs up.

Terry Gandall

June 1st, 2015 Chouteau, OK

Have had reasonable luck with Delta. It's not my fist choice but sometimes it's the only choice.

Michelle Franklyn Davis

June 1st, 2015 San Marcos, CA

i was constantly re-seated to very uncomfortable seats at the back of the plane because the plane configuration was different than the ones on the seating chart when i booked the flight. as a diabetic, i was separated from my carryon luggage which contained medication and testing supplies because i was told, no carryon's allowed at the gate. dirty planes, stale air and no room at all. i no longer fly because of delta

Roberto Cuccu

June 1st, 2015 Phoenix, AZ

The only good thing with Delta is SkyMiles and its no blackout dates. The rest is between poor and close to below average. And my last flight from LAX to OGG had 9 hrs delay. No other flights were indicated delayed on the departure board. Not to mention the reluctance of support to passengers who were stuck like me that day.

Patti Deen

June 1st, 2015 Fayetteville, AR

DL has noticably improved in the customer service area the past few years. Their entire team seem to be more personable with passengers on the ground and in the air. They are directed to offer quick, efficient and good service. The in flight crew, you can tell, keep a smile even when some passengers are irritating us all. Keep going strong DL- you have my support and miles. P,S. I love the AMEX Delta Skymiles card for the points I earn.

Laura Santiago

May 27th, 2015 Tuscaloosa, AL

I always have a great flight with Delta!!! The attendants and airport personnel are very friendly and welcoming!! I am dedicated to Delta and fly Delta where ever possible.

Ron

May 26th, 2015 Los Angeles, CA

On May 14th I arrived at LAX and the entire reservation system was down. They had one agent with a computer trying to print boarding passes since the kiosks were down and you couldn't print your own. Luckily I have downloaded the Delta app and had my boarding pass on my phone. But the chaos at the check in area was absurd. One agent was telling people "go to this line" and another would contradict the other and send people a different direction. Not well manage at all and ever worse at the boarding gate area where finally they just wrote our names and seat number down on a piece of paper so we could finally board and hour and a half late.

Jim Rosser

May 26th, 2015 Lexington, KY

Most of the time my national Delta flights go well but my international flights have seemed to be riddled with issues. Our flights to Gran Canaria Spain booked originally through Delta, later switched to AirFrance and other airlines. Thinking all was settled we get to the airport on the departure day to find Delta had not properly ticketed us so we lost our priority seats and 40 mins later finally got our tickets. However we could only get tickets for the first leg of the flight and were told to get our connecting seat vouchers at arriving airport. That worked fine arriving in Paris on the initial travel date. However on the way back the first airline could not give us our connection tickets either. Upon arrival in Madrid we had to exit the secure area, locate the Air France area of the airport and secure out tickets for our connecting flights. Then we had to go through security once again. Needless to say our layover time was used up and had no time for restroom breaks or refreshments. The one good thing, our luggage did arrive where it needed to and when it needed to.