Delta Airlines is one of the largest American airlines and is headquartered at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. It has one of the largest network hubs in the world and flies to over 325 destinations in 64 different countries. What began as Huff Daland Dusters, a crop dusting service, later became Delta Air Services with passenger flights starting in June 1929.

2013 saw Delta become the world's largest airline in terms of scheduled passengers, and the second largest in terms of revenue passenger-kilometers.

The company has worked extensively to make sure that customers have perks on most (if not all) planes in its fleet.

Passengers in the wide-bodied Boeing 766 are guaranteed to have wireless Internet available. Other models of planes may have Wi-Fi, but this feature has to be added to some planes (especially the fleet of Airbus and smaller narrow-bodied models).

Delta Sky Magazine, which is published by MSP Communications offers customers a wide variety of items to be perused in-flight.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Delta reviews from real customers.

View Best Airlines

The Good

• Rewards Program
  • Payment Options
  • Lots of Destinations
  • Varied Fleet
  • In-Flight Food and Beverages
  • Customer Service
  • On-Time Flights

Rewards Program

There is a lot to like about Delta's SkyMiles rewards program. It is one of the only airlines in the industry to not let its customers' frequent flier miles expire. This perk for returning customers provides the potential for significant value over time.

Additional perks that come with being a SkyMiles member include flight upgrades, vacation packages, and other amenities.

There are no blackout dates for Delta's SkyMiles program.

Transparency is an important component of Delta's packages. Their travel insurance (offered through Allianz) is straightforward, easy-to-understand, and is perfect for nearly every passenger.

Payment Options

Another positive aspect of flying with Delta is that you are able to pay for a flight with sources of credit other than a credit card. Another payment option that could be used, for example, is Bill Me Later.

Lots of Destinations

Delta has a wide array of destinations available for its clients. Their network of partners makes it easy for customers to get anywhere in the United States.

In some states, it was also possible to get to smaller cities through some of their partners. For example, we found that Moab, UT (a popular tourist spot) has scheduled service with SkyWest and Delta.

Varied Fleet

Another thing that separates Delta from their competition is their fleet of planes. Several Airbus and Boeing models are used in its wide-bodied fleet, and come with Wi-Fi, LCD displays (as of 2012), and AC power for laptops (on some planes).

Many narrow-bodied planes, mainly used for smaller connecting flights, also have Wi-Fi and other entertainment options available for customers.

In-Flight Food and Beverages

The carrier has an extensive meal service for its flights, and any flight over six hours has a complimentary meal.

There is a wide variety of beverages available on flights. Alcoholic beverages include wine, beer, and some other liquor varieties that vary in price based upon the flight.

Also, all non-alcoholic beverages (including soda and coffee) are free.

A customer service experience with Delta is most likely to be positive. The website is filled with information that potential fliers may ask. It is simple to contact customer support via Domestic Flight Booking service number (800-221-1212), to ask specific questions about prices for purchasing a ticket. This is also a great place, along with their website, to get information about travel insurance.

On-Time Flights

As per Flightstats.com, Delta flights arrive on-time roughly 87% of the time. Compared to other top airlines, this is very competitive.

The Bad

• Baggage Fees
  • Upgrade Issues

Baggage Fees

Let's face it; airlines can have a lot of problems when it comes to baggage. The largest complaints with Delta seems to stem from checked baggage fees. Some customers complained about the second checked baggage fee of $35. When customers take a carry-on that should be checked, some became offended at the complimentary free baggage check after check-in.

Upgrade Issues

Going overseas, some customers had issues with the economy upgrade perks to their ticket. When the economy comfort perks had been "overbooked," customers were issued a refund, but often complained at not getting the experience that they had originally paid for.

Overall, these complaints were to be expected when flying in general, and most customers were pleased with their Delta experience.

The Bottom Line

We have the utmost faith in recommending Delta as an airline. We really liked the company's outstanding reputation with customers and the SkyMiles rewards program. It's very rare to find an airline that doesn't let your frequent flier miles expire. However, with Delta, your coverage will vary. There are some changes between the SkyMiles 2015 plan and the 2014 plan and these depend upon the flight purchased and where your flight is going.

Delta is also environmentally friendly. In 2008, they started using a Pre-Kote, a surface treatment to prevent corrosion on its aircraft.

Overall, we feel like Delta is on the cutting edge in terms of customer service and its SkyMiles Program.

View Best Airlines

Katelyn Empey

October 30th, 2017 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been fairly please with working with Delta Airlines. They are reliable in the flights and have a lot of flights available during the times of the day and year I need.

David

October 30th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta really is one of the best airlines for business travelers because it has lots of great long distance flights with zero layovers and the service is pretty good.

Brandon Maughan

October 30th, 2017 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I flew to Denver on Delta. Flight was on time. Service was satisfactory. Have no concerns flying with them again.

Steve

October 30th, 2017 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

As a Platinum medallion member, they upgrade often, Sky priority lines are great and customer service is efficient.

Alex Murphy

October 30th, 2017 Reno, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta seems to always have nicer planes and the experience is always great when I fly Delta. However, you always pay the price. Delta seems to have very few sales and keeps their prices high.

Bonnie Slocum

October 27th, 2017 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We flew on Delta when we went to Oahu, Hawaii. The flight crew was enjoyable and the stewardesses were kind.

Hyrum

October 26th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have a hard time differentiating between airlines in far of overall product. They all squeeze you too much space wise. My last flight with Delta was fine . Delta is competitive in prices, which is why I choose them.

Bernd

October 3rd, 2017

At check-in Delta asked about 80euros just so we could sit together. This wasn't even a special seat. No just to sit next to my wife I had to pay another 80euros. Such practices are on the edge of fraude. Really said to see Delta doing this.

David Moore

September 25th, 2017 Carpinteria, CA

I never have to pay for my first checked bag. This time I did because they assigned a different carrier who said they, "didn't have an agreement." While it was not explained to me, at any point, I could not check in online OR at the kiosk in the airport. I had to wait for 2 hours until Alaska Air opened their counter. This meant that I had no access to the executive lounge.

Steven Sebastian

September 15th, 2017 Orlando, FL

Changed my mind & backspaced to cancel, flight still got charged, and now they won't give me the money back. Tired of these GREEDY airlines!

Mariana

September 15th, 2017 Giddings, TX

Our bags were "delayed" for 48 hours. We couldn't get ahold of the local Delta office because they never answered our calls. Delta customer service "couldn't do anything" either, because apparently the only ones who had the power to get or bags to us were the people at the Atlanta airport (where oyr bags were stuck), and they were unreachable? I guess the baggage people are really hard to talk to, because hey don't have a radio someone can talk to them huh. So after 48 hours, we had to go again to the airport to get our bags. They were literally abandoned at the office, where NO ONE was working there (hence the unavailable phone calls), we took the bags and left. No surveillance, no one interested in getting our bags to us. Easily someone else could have taken them. Really pissed at this.

Charlotte Andrist

September 12th, 2017

Delta #1367 on 9//17 determined to provided excellent customer service and did!

Carol M

September 12th, 2017 New Albany, MS

Delta's lightning fast refund really surprised me! Hurricane Irma left a power outage at my destination the day before my scheduled flight. I submitted a request for refund on their website & got a typical automated email response. Then I tweeted! Within an hour my request was granted! Thank you @Delta.

Linda

August 7th, 2017

Due to a road close from an automobile accident i was running a little behind schedule but I managed to make it to airport in time . When i arrived security was so kind to help me get through quickly so i wouldn't delay or miss my flight . When i arrived at the terminal the DELTA attendant informed me "we paged you , you sould have been here 30min before your flight ! " And would not let me on the flight! I was told by security they were informed i was here and i will make it in time . I had a severe allergy attack on my visit that required me to go to hospital for treatment. I spoke with my doctor and i was told to come to see him immediately when i returned. Due to this delay my condition has worsened & i will miss my doctors appointment. I am now forced to purchase another ticket , leave from another city arrive at a diffrent airport , and sit in a seat in between two other passengers,itching and extremely uncomfortable for 3hrs! & when I arrive i have no transportation for the 1hr drive back to my home at that time of night! I have attached a copy of hospital admittance, pictures of my allergy attack , & road closure from accident. Thank you delta for the excellent customer service !

Sandra Dubas

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Delta is good when you can use the delta miles, but without the miles they are kind of expensive. Also, if you get tickets early on you can get good prices. Their planes are nice and clean, and customer service is always great.

Lindsay H.

June 12th, 2017 Draper, UT

In my experience with Delta, flights seem to be on-time for the most part. Employees are helpful and considerate. Also, there are a good selection of movies and accommodations are decent on international flights.

Julie Firkins

June 12th, 2017 Orem, UT

i do not have a very great opinion of Delta Airlines, my flight was delayed and only a very few people were issued hotel or food coupons, either give them to everyone or none, running out is shabby

Aubrey Rentschler

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

My only complaint about Delta is the baggage fee and their prices are usually higher than other airlines.

Taylor Meyers

June 12th, 2017 Elizabeth, NJ

So my girlfriend and I were taking a much needed vacation out of the country. Upon arriving at the airport over an hour early we were informed that our seats had been "given away". This had never happened to us before so we were confused and we couldn't get a straight answer as to why. So we needed up having to reschedule for later that day, the only good thing about this situation is the man who helped us rebook our flight, Santana, only charged us $200 each to rebook. When we called the hotline the woman at the desk gave us initially they quoted us $1,000 each to rebook which We could not afford. Anyways we decided to wait it out at the airport until our later flight left (11 hours later). It took us 15 mins to get through security and to our original gate. We watched the plane we were supposed to be on sit there for 45 mins. So we definitely could have made this flight. We missed a whole day of our vacation because of this incident. We were more confused than anything. We got different answers from like 5 different people as to why our seats were given away. I've spoked to someone from Delta via twitter messaging and I still have no resolve or a straight answer. Just a bunch of "sorry for your experience" BS. I won't be using Delta in the future.

Sandra Ferrucci

June 9th, 2017 Omaha, NE

I emailed #Delta with a customer service complaint regarding an employee at DTW airport. A service representative called me 2 days after I sent the complaint, very timely response on their part. He was helpful, and polite, he apologized for the way their employee in Detroit treated my family & promised to follow through with her. I am pleased with the way my complaint was handled & I will fly Delta again.

Mark

June 9th, 2017

My biggest complaint with Delta is their baggage and flight cancellation/change fees. And other airlines generally come in with lower airfare.

Lori Schwab

June 8th, 2017 Sandy, UT

No bad experiences. Just not my favorite airline to fly though. I do not like being charged for bags. More pricey than other airlines.

Jenna LeStarge

June 8th, 2017

We flew Delta to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise. They lost our luggage, but customer service was great! And they delivered our luggage at 3AM so we made it to the ship on time.

Maile Curtis

June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Delta is great! But they need to update their planes and give the costumers more leg room. Also, they need to come up with better snacks. Overall I had a pretty good experience when I fly with them.

Blake Brockbank

June 6th, 2017

I really enjoy flying Delta. Their service is very nice and very efficient. I would definitely refer friends

Susan Stewart

June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I've used Delta a few times, and I like them a little more than others. Their prices aren't always the cheapest, but I don't feel as cramped up in their seats as I do in other airlines. I think their entertainment is usually pretty good as well.

Elizabeth McMichael

June 5th, 2017 Provo, UT

Everyone is always supper happy help and you can tell that they actually care about service and their jobs.

Doyal Stewart

June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Delta used to be my favorite airline, I always felt like they had really great service. I felt like the seats were a little roomier, and the planes were in a bit better shape than some of the airlines I have been on. The prices were decent, especially during off times of the year. I would recommend friends to use Delta airlines.

Breanna Jones

June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Although I wish it wasn't so expensive for bags and to change flights plans, Delta can get you anywhere. I appreciate being able to fly direct to Europe from Salt Lake City because no other airline does that here. Prices are sometimes higher with Delta but Delta can take me anywhere

Carol Hancock

June 2nd, 2017

We had a direct flight scheduled 6 weeks in advance returning home from Newark New Jersey to Salt Lake City. Delta canceled that direct flight and changed our tickets. We now were forced to leave two hours earlier and had to stop in Minneapolis. We also had a nice plan on our non-stop flight to Newark and now had to fly back on two small planes without any of the extras we received on the first leg of our trip.

Rachel Reeves

June 2nd, 2017 Midvale, UT

I love flying delta, the planes are always super nice and comfortable, they have free movies and TV in flight and offer headphones. The crew members are very polite and courteous and even brought me a blanket when I was cold once (and no I wasn't in first class to get this treatment). Anytime I fly delta, I never regret it.

Kenneth Okerlund

June 1st, 2017 Orem, UT

I have only flown delta on an international trip, I started in California and was flying to England. There were a few layovers before the over the sea trip, all of which were very reasonably timed. For the long (8 hour) flight they had entertainment in the form of music, and videos. I had no complaints other than the space between their seats because I am tall (6'3"), but that is not uncommon for me to have that problem.

Dawn Ogden

June 1st, 2017

Worst flying experience ever. Lost luggage, flight came in a 1:40 pm without my luggage which you lost and proceeded to lie telling us it was due to TSA. Luggage was deliver the next morning at 4:45 am with the lock intact. Woman at gate was rude when asked bout upgrading out leg room and my daughter was asked to cover up with a shirt leaving Orlando in 90 degrees heat. Embarrassing and uncalled for! I will never fly delta again

Christopher Haueter

June 1st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Delta is a pretty reliable airline with good benefits. I am always fairly comfortable and I have never had a serious, bad experience with them when it comes time to fly. What I don't like about them is that they charge an arm and a leg to change a flight. we wanted to change a flight over 200 days in advance and for two of us it was gong to cost us about a thousand dollars just to change a flight by a couple of days. Not too happy with that.

Quen Wilson

June 1st, 2017 Ogden, UT

My last Delta flight was so smooth! The flight attendants were extremely helpful with my situation. I will always fly Delta!

Jonny Hancock

June 1st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I fly with Delta Airlines when traveling internationally, and I find them to be a strong reputable company. My only complaint with Delta Airlines is their baggage fees. Delta Airlines has a strong hold on the market and instead of helping their customers by giving them free Baggage they choose to charge you an additional $30 making it frustrating to check a bag.

Robb Hall

June 1st, 2017 Saint George, UT

In my different travels, I have flown on Delta and it has always gone well. Great flight and great options.

Chelsea Stewart

June 1st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I fly Delta most often because I feel like they offer the most flights to where I'm going. They are a pretty good airline I haven't had issues with yet.

Joshua Stewart

June 1st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I've never had a negative experience with Delta. They treat me well and I'm always comfortable.

Megan Palmer

June 1st, 2017 Denver, CO

The flight was really nice, along with the service. The only issue I had was that I tried upgrading my seat before check in and then after and was unable to do it although there were seats available. I had miles and/or Money to spend on it but there was no option online. I called and after being on hold over an hour, just gave up. Other than that the app is great as is the free internet on the plane to watch movies. All employees were very nice.

Si Lam

June 1st, 2017 Provo, UT

good service, polite. if baggage takes more than 30 minutes, they give you mileage

Brendon Higgins

June 1st, 2017

So...i had a 6:30 flight out of Cleveland. We sat on the tarmac for a couple hours with a steering issue. I tweeted Delta and DM'd them multiple times and have not received a response...it has been 4hours and counting. I called Customer Service a bit later....it was OVER a TWO hour wait. I opted for the call back feature...have not heard anything yet. I managed to change my flight (which is currently delayed to 3:50pm) to a different one through minneapolis through their website. I now have a 3 hour layover in Minneapolis and will arrive (hopefully) 6 hours late. I have a wedding tomorrow at 10am That I needed to drop my suit off to a dry cleaner today to be ready tomorrow morning. I have no freaking clue what I am going to wear now since that will not be an option.i am appalled at this service that no one will talk to me.

Kari Staheli

June 1st, 2017

One of our last flights with Delta we were stuck on the plane for 40 mins until they decided to have us disembark. Once we were off the plane we found out the flight was going to be cancelled because of terrible weather in our next lay over city. We quickly went to a ticket counter to see if we could get the next plane to our destination. Delta was able to arrange a flight the next morning for us.

Caitlin Bekker

June 1st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I have been loving Delta more and more through the years. When I was about 8 years old the flight attendants took me to the cock pit to see all of the controls and meet the pilot, it was something I will never forget! Just recently I was on a flight to Amsterdam and feeling very sick due to pregnancy and the flight attendants were very kind and accommodating with the help I needed. I felt very well taken care of and the food was just right!

Mackenzie Reynolds

May 23rd, 2017 Windham, ME

After receiving news that my flight on Friday had been canceled (three hours before the scheduled takeoff) and rescheduled almost 24 hours later, I scrambled last minute to get on another flight that night. After having been on hold for an hour and 45 minutes I was able to hop on last minute on a flight to Portland instead of Bangor. That flight was delayed over an hour and a half. I didn't get into Portland until 12:45 AM (still having a two hour drive to get to my final destination) and I was originally due to arrive in Bangor around 11:30 PM. I was due to fly back to New York City on Monday at 5 PM and that flight was canceled three hours before take off. I was also rescheduled for the next day almost 24 hours later. Not only was I on the phone for over an hour, once I finally thought that I had somebody that could help me, he disconnected me and I had to start all over again with the new representative. I had no other choice than to go to the Bangor airport to speak with somebody in person. She was very kind but unable to get me on any flights that could take me back to New York City that day. I wasted my already very short vacation stressed about not making it to my cousins shower and having to use another vacation day because I'm not able to fly home for work Tuesday morning. Delta caused extreme stress for me and to have two flights canceled in one weekend and given no real reason as to why is the most frustrating thing and I will never understand why I didn't get any kind of explanation as to why my flights were not taking off. I will not fly Delta again.

Shane

May 23rd, 2017

No entertainment on a 15 hour flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg. They promised compensation, but to date nothing. I have also emailed them for an update and no response to date.

Brian

May 12th, 2017

WE got taken off a plane & put back on it, TWICE, over a 4 hr period in NYC @ JFK on 4/6/17. The plane did arrive with people, then supposedly had a bad computer part. 2nd time we were removed they said another plane was coming for us @ 6 PM. We were supposed to be in Punta Cana DR by 3 PM. 40 min later at the gate, CANCELLED appeared & the gate person tried to leave. People cornered him wanting help. He offered none. We got no explanation. Full plane. Many of us went all over that terminal looking for ANYONE from Delta that could help us. NO one would, many ignored us or told us, curtly, can't help you, then walked away! Help desk, was no help, lines didn't move a bit for 45 min., phones unanswered at Delta. FINALLY about 5:30 PM we found ONE person who tried to help. We got put on a plane leaving the next day at 5 AM, going to Santiago, 6 hrs by car from Punta Cana. There were NO flights to PC until 4/11/17. 3 of our 7 were on standby too. We all got one that next am, BUT that flight was delayed 2 hrs & barely left after much debate, effort, & luck by the crew. We then suffered a 6 hour drive in a poor van, it cost us $350. Later, Delta basically implied I lied about that cost & only offered me $150 back. He had no receipt for us. This was a guy with a minivan, not a travel Co as we know it. WE paid cash for many expenses while stuck in NYC & then at Santiago & traveling there. I didn't get back much of it later in my claim. We traveled from BWI to JFK on April 6th, 2017. That flight made it ok. SEVERAL attempts at alternative flights were fruitless, not available, or rejected in JFK.. We milled around the Delta terminal most of Thursday, early Friday morning too. We got little help. ONE woman tried, many ignored us or acted bothered. Communication with any Delta Rep was almost nonexistent! This was a wedding ceremony trip for our family. 7 travelers in all. We were going to Majestic Elegance, an all inclusive resort. We finally arrived there in the evening that Friday 4/7/17. We spend about $9140.96.00 on this trip. It was a disaster! Utter failure on Delta's part ruined this trip for everyone. We basically tried to move forward because we felt we had little choice. We arrived almost 2 days late, traveled by car further than we flew, otherwise we would not have been able to reach the resort until Tuesday, 4/11/17 according to Delta in JFK. Our 3 children were to return 4/10/17! Our bags were everywhere, including 1 still in JFK as late as Sunday. Our children had little or no clothes, no bathing suits their entire stay. My wife & I had very little too. We basically wore the same clothes for 3 days. Our last bag finally reached us by Monday night 4/10/2017. Our ceremonial wedding never took place. We had NO clothes & by the time we did have something proper to wear, all the family had left. NO one chanced changing a flight once we arrived in DR. Also, we were being told flights were still a mess. In fact ,the 2 that left on Sunday had a 8 hour delay on their flight back to JFK from the DR. How can you put a price on this fiasco? Delta Corp was not very sympathetic. They offered me $461.00 in all & gave me 5 $100 vouchers AFTER I complained about $461 for about $10,000 in costs or lost money spent on a ruined trip. I had to call several times & after 3 weeks I got the above insult with very little sorry involved by them. Baggage claim was very fair to us & helped right away. No complaints there, but Corp was rude, unwilling to reimburse much at all, & really didn't seem to care a bit.

Anita Shinko

May 11th, 2017

I had just took a vacation to PA. April 19th, 2017 thru April 26th, 2017. The trip to PA on Delta Air wasn't that bad, except the landings were Horrible. On the way back to AZ, the travel was a lot worse.. My daughter for some reason scheduled for us to have 2 layovers instead of 1. The first flight, the flight attendants didn't serve the snacks and drinks until the flight was almost over , so they rushed us, customers to finish our drinks so they could get our trash. The second flight had movies on the back of the seats. That was nice, except the flight was only 1 hour, 45 mins long. The flight attendants didn't come around for us, customers to buy headphones to listen to the movies until the flight was half way over. Again, the snacks and drinks were served late, so we were rushed again with our drinks! Finally, the last flight was perfect!!!!

Cheryl Reed

May 10th, 2017

On the ground emergency when a man on my flight collapsed while we were still at the gate. Crew members + passengers revived the man. Not clear on details as it was several rows behind me but it was handled very professionally. Thank you Delta, for preparing your crew members for moments like this

Pasquel Ross

May 10th, 2017 Charlestown, IN

My flight experience was great as well as my dealings with the counter agents when I changed my flight. The only issue I had was internet connectivity. On two of my flights the internet didn't work. Overall a very solid experience and I feel comfortable recommending Delta for your next flight.