Delta Airlines is one of the largest American airlines and is headquartered at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. It has one of the largest network hubs in the world and flies to over 325 destinations in 64 different countries. What began as Huff Daland Dusters, a crop dusting service, later became Delta Air Services with passenger flights starting in June 1929.

2013 saw Delta become the world's largest airline in terms of scheduled passengers, and the second largest in terms of revenue passenger-kilometers.

The company has worked extensively to make sure that customers have perks on most (if not all) planes in its fleet.

Passengers in the wide-bodied Boeing 766 are guaranteed to have wireless Internet available. Other models of planes may have Wi-Fi, but this feature has to be added to some planes (especially the fleet of Airbus and smaller narrow-bodied models).

Delta Sky Magazine, which is published by MSP Communications offers customers a wide variety of items to be perused in-flight.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Delta reviews from real customers.

View Best Airlines

The Good

• Rewards Program
  • Payment Options
  • Lots of Destinations
  • Varied Fleet
  • In-Flight Food and Beverages
  • Customer Service
  • On-Time Flights

Rewards Program

There is a lot to like about Delta's SkyMiles rewards program. It is one of the only airlines in the industry to not let its customers' frequent flier miles expire. This perk for returning customers provides the potential for significant value over time.

Additional perks that come with being a SkyMiles member include flight upgrades, vacation packages, and other amenities.

There are no blackout dates for Delta's SkyMiles program.

Transparency is an important component of Delta's packages. Their travel insurance (offered through Allianz) is straightforward, easy-to-understand, and is perfect for nearly every passenger.

Payment Options

Another positive aspect of flying with Delta is that you are able to pay for a flight with sources of credit other than a credit card. Another payment option that could be used, for example, is Bill Me Later.

Lots of Destinations

Delta has a wide array of destinations available for its clients. Their network of partners makes it easy for customers to get anywhere in the United States.

In some states, it was also possible to get to smaller cities through some of their partners. For example, we found that Moab, UT (a popular tourist spot) has scheduled service with SkyWest and Delta.

Varied Fleet

Another thing that separates Delta from their competition is their fleet of planes. Several Airbus and Boeing models are used in its wide-bodied fleet, and come with Wi-Fi, LCD displays (as of 2012), and AC power for laptops (on some planes).

Many narrow-bodied planes, mainly used for smaller connecting flights, also have Wi-Fi and other entertainment options available for customers.

In-Flight Food and Beverages

The carrier has an extensive meal service for its flights, and any flight over six hours has a complimentary meal.

There is a wide variety of beverages available on flights. Alcoholic beverages include wine, beer, and some other liquor varieties that vary in price based upon the flight.

Also, all non-alcoholic beverages (including soda and coffee) are free.

A customer service experience with Delta is most likely to be positive. The website is filled with information that potential fliers may ask. It is simple to contact customer support via Domestic Flight Booking service number (800-221-1212), to ask specific questions about prices for purchasing a ticket. This is also a great place, along with their website, to get information about travel insurance.

On-Time Flights

As per Flightstats.com, Delta flights arrive on-time roughly 87% of the time. Compared to other top airlines, this is very competitive.

The Bad

• Baggage Fees
  • Upgrade Issues

Baggage Fees

Let's face it; airlines can have a lot of problems when it comes to baggage. The largest complaints with Delta seems to stem from checked baggage fees. Some customers complained about the second checked baggage fee of $35. When customers take a carry-on that should be checked, some became offended at the complimentary free baggage check after check-in.

Upgrade Issues

Going overseas, some customers had issues with the economy upgrade perks to their ticket. When the economy comfort perks had been "overbooked," customers were issued a refund, but often complained at not getting the experience that they had originally paid for.

Overall, these complaints were to be expected when flying in general, and most customers were pleased with their Delta experience.

The Bottom Line

We have the utmost faith in recommending Delta as an airline. We really liked the company's outstanding reputation with customers and the SkyMiles rewards program. It's very rare to find an airline that doesn't let your frequent flier miles expire. However, with Delta, your coverage will vary. There are some changes between the SkyMiles 2015 plan and the 2014 plan and these depend upon the flight purchased and where your flight is going.

Delta is also environmentally friendly. In 2008, they started using a Pre-Kote, a surface treatment to prevent corrosion on its aircraft.

Overall, we feel like Delta is on the cutting edge in terms of customer service and its SkyMiles Program.

View Best Airlines

Brent Wilhite

December 3rd, 2018 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is my preferred airlines. I fly it when my budget allows. It's more expensive than other airlines, so when I'm limited on budget, I choose to fly other airlines. It helps that I live near a Delta hub, so there are a lot of flight options.

Mackenzie

December 3rd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

The airplanes and very modern and nice. I love the flight attendants and the service is incredibly good. When I lost my luggage they helped me find it within an hour.

Jeff H

December 1st, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They shouldn't tell you certain sized bags can be carried on (given dimensions on line) and then make you check them plane-side and then throw them around so your stuff inside gets damaged.

Ryan E

December 1st, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They need nicer, more personable flight attendants infirst class. They also need to allow more than 2 alcoholic beverages in first class. For GOD sake, I am paying a premium for the seat. The least they could do is offer as many cocktails as I want.

Michael

December 1st, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

At first, i heard that Delta wasn't good enough.. When I found out about my flight cancelled due to the snow.. they helped me to get the best as possible to get on the flight and I explain my deaf access.. Afterward, they gave me some mileage credit and they helped deaf people afterward.. Deaf Access is important to me and to deaf community. I often go on flight with them because they treat me good now.

Justin Knorr

November 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our favorite thing about Delta is that the flights generally run on time and we are able to make our connections without many problems. The planes are sometimes older leg space is sparse, but being able to rely on a flight running on time makes us want to fly Delta whenever possible.

Landon Jacobsen Ollerton

November 30th, 2018 Alpine, UT

Flights always go fast. Lots of flights around Salt Lake City. Easy boarding and exiting. Always are the first to welcome me to a new state with a warm smile.

Jobie Goodro

November 30th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The Biscoff cookies are the best! And that’s why Delta is my favorite. I know that’s dumb but it’s true. They also tend to have more direct flights than other airlines which is definitely a plus.

Kristie Sgambati

November 30th, 2018 Rocklin, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta Airlines made our flying experience wonderful. We flew from California to Boston on three different flights without a hitch. Would definitely choose Delta again.

Anthony Sgambati

November 30th, 2018 Rocklin, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We took Delta Airlines (for the first time) from California to Boston. Three flights each way, all of them on time. Customer service exceeded our expectations.

Natalie

November 27th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta really provides the best care over many other airlines. The really show that they value you as a customer and try their best to satisfy your needs! They also have super comfy seats and yummy food!

Justin

November 26th, 2018 Alpine, UT

Delta gave me a nice flight to Washington last year. I was comfortable the whole way, and the flight attendants we're very kind, and they had great food too.

Shane

November 26th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta has provided me with some very nice flights. I have always been comfortable, and I have never had any trouble buying them on their website.

Rabih Charara

November 24th, 2018 Dearborn Heights, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Lovely airlines. More often than not friendly staff. Quite reliable as far as schedule is concerned

Alexa

November 21st, 2018 San Marcos, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I travel a lot for work and whenever I can, I chose Delta. It's always on time, reliable, has outlets, good entertainment.

Abbey

November 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

have had a good experience flying with delta. They have great employees and treat there customers very nicely

Lindsay Fritts

November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta has really stepped up their game lately. They used to be one of my least favorite airlines, but now they are one of my favorites. They upgraded their planes and the seats are pretty comfortable and the extra room seats are great. Definitely look for Delta now when I search!

Rischelle Mikkelson

November 15th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like that they have direct flights from where I live. They have some great deals now and then. I fon’t Love that you have to pay extra for luggage - at least one bag should be included. Their customer service leaves a bit to be desired, but their flight attendants are typically very professional.

Ali Davidson

November 14th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

Seats are kinda small but the customer service was amazing!!! My mom and I were able to fix a few bumps in our trip no problem!

Garn L. Arnold

November 12th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

For being one of the largest airlines, Delta does a great job. They generally are on time. The Flight Attendants are attentive. They go wherever you want to go. I prefer Jet Blue but I will fly Delta.

Lydia Arnold

November 9th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like to fly Delta Airlines because it's a bit nicer than some of the other discount airlines. Of course, you sometimes pay a bit more. But you're not being nickled and dimed for your luggage like some other airlines. Services like movies, music, internet access, etc. are good. Employees are nice.

Nathan hanzel

November 6th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta has always been very helpful in making sure that you get all of your baggage where it needs to be, I would love to fly Delta again!

Matt Hanzel

November 6th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I now fly exclusively with Delta Airlines for both work and leisure. My only complaint would not be specific to Delta Airlines but all the airlines. That is that it is becoming more difficult to fly using miles with all the blackouts and restrictions these days.

Angela Pyrah

November 5th, 2018 Willard, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not a fan at all. They always seem to mess something up. Twice they have misplaced my luggage, and one time the flight switched gates with no announcement to the passengers sitting at the gate. Whenever there is an issue, customer service was never helpful, each person on the phone would just send me to another person who couldnt help

Jason Pyrah

November 5th, 2018 Willard, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have flown internationally with Delta and thought that their service was great. I thought that the prices were good and I liked the food that the served.

Cody Enslow

November 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really like flying delta. They seem to be great across the board. Sometimes I just can find cheaper flights elsewhere.

Rachel B

November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is a great airline, especially since they have a hub in my city. They’re great for last minute flights as well.

Jill B

November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They lost my luggage, and I had to go a whole day of my trip without all my clothes. Will not fly with the again.

Sophie Schmalz

November 5th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta Airlines is my favorite way to fly! I love that I can find great deals to awesome places and know that I will always be taken care of.

Kenz

November 5th, 2018 Buena Vista, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good quality airline. Dislike how many groups they split you in. I paid for a ticket, I’d like to feel like a valued customer, not the extra baggage they have to load on the plane.

josharmatage

November 5th, 2018 Alpine, UT

I had a very nice flight flying with Delta. I flew to New Mexico with my mother and brother, and it was comfortable enough to sleep on which is always nice. The attendants were very kind, and the food was good.

Measton

November 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

The last few times I have flown with this airline the planes had malfunctioned and were unable to take off, granted the service was average as we were given a hotel nearby and a van ride both times. While I’m happy about the service, I’d rather avoid the trouble and get onto a working plane.

BRENDA WHEELER

November 2nd, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

the airline personel were very nice and helpful ticketing and everything else went smoothly

Noel David

November 2nd, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good service - good people at counter - good people on air craft.

Tracy R.

November 2nd, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

they are good. cheaper flights would be appreciated.

Abigail scoville

November 2nd, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have never had a bad flight experience when I am flying delta airlines from any of the staff they are all all extremely helpful and courteous. But, if you have a larger body it may be slightly uncomfortable in coach. Not the worst flight but your hips may feel uncomfortable the duration of the flight.

Isabelle Hong

November 1st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta provides comfortable travel to get me to all the wonderful places I've been able to travel to. They have a great rewards system that my family has taken full advantage of. Their customer service is awesome. When I flew as an unaccompanied minor, they took wonderful care of me.

Randal hyde

November 1st, 2018 Springfield, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta provides a great service when I fly. Their customer support staff is easy to work with. I have run into very few issues when working with them.

Tim Hong

November 1st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Delta's service. Their frequent flyer program is not the most rewarding, but for business travel their service is great. Especially if you are able to get to Platinum or Diamond

Karen S Priest

November 1st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I only book delta for my boss. They are fair and seem to have the least amount of extra charges. They have good lanes and are fair in price.

Melanie Curtis

November 1st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've flown with Delta airlines and have always been impressed with how nice the planes were, and how well-groomed and polite the staff were.

Melanie Kinslow

November 1st, 2018 Buda, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I will only fly Delta unless I have no other options. They are courteous, friendly, helpful, and on their new planes have comfortable seats with more room plus free inflight movies and complimentary wine and beer. They are usually on time for departures and arrivals and they often have the best price for where I'm flying.

Jocelyn stevens

October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta has a great sky miles program through American Express. We have always had a good experience flying with Delta.

Sadie P

October 31st, 2018 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Delta Airlines. They are trustworthy, and pretty sanitary. They also care about how comfortable you are, and provide snacks!!

Paxton davis

October 31st, 2018 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve flowed quite a bit and delta is by far the best one with food and flying it have been great.

Rebecca

October 31st, 2018 Arlington, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love flying with Delta. They are usually more expensive than other airlines, but sometimes it is worth it because I feel like they try to give good customer service. Once my flight was delayed 7 hours and they gave me like $200 compensation. I have had a lot of delays lately, but they seem very nice about them.

cami harward

October 31st, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

kind staff. on time flight. we had what we needed for a comfortable flight. I will fly them again

Brighton fenton

October 31st, 2018 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I normally fly Delta and the service is normally always good. I have been stuck on long flights with a movie screen that doesn’t work, so that could be improved.

Kevin Nelson

October 31st, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

After over 6 years as a frequently flier on United, I switched to Delta after moving to the Salt Lake area (one of Delta's hubs). I have flown Delta exclusively for the past 4 years since making that move. I has definitely been a good move because Delta provides the best direct flight options out of SLC, and their website is really easy to use. On the downside, United's economy plus seating had more leg room and was much more comfortable on long flights, and I would have to say that United employees definitely gave me better service than I have received on Delta. Price has all been about the same.

ally blackhurst

October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is by far my favorite airline! I have always felt safe and comfortable in Delta planes, and the flight attendants are always so kind. I love being able to watch movies on my flights and Delta has a wide variety of movies to choose from. I always love to fly with Delta.