Delta Airlines is one of the largest American airlines and is headquartered at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. It has one of the largest network hubs in the world and flies to over 325 destinations in 64 different countries. What began as Huff Daland Dusters, a crop dusting service, later became Delta Air Services with passenger flights starting in June 1929.

2013 saw Delta become the world's largest airline in terms of scheduled passengers, and the second largest in terms of revenue passenger-kilometers.

The company has worked extensively to make sure that customers have perks on most (if not all) planes in its fleet.

Passengers in the wide-bodied Boeing 766 are guaranteed to have wireless Internet available. Other models of planes may have Wi-Fi, but this feature has to be added to some planes (especially the fleet of Airbus and smaller narrow-bodied models).

Delta Sky Magazine, which is published by MSP Communications offers customers a wide variety of items to be perused in-flight.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Delta reviews from real customers.

View Best Airlines

The Good

• Rewards Program
  • Payment Options
  • Lots of Destinations
  • Varied Fleet
  • In-Flight Food and Beverages
  • Customer Service
  • On-Time Flights

Rewards Program

There is a lot to like about Delta's SkyMiles rewards program. It is one of the only airlines in the industry to not let its customers' frequent flier miles expire. This perk for returning customers provides the potential for significant value over time.

Additional perks that come with being a SkyMiles member include flight upgrades, vacation packages, and other amenities.

There are no blackout dates for Delta's SkyMiles program.

Transparency is an important component of Delta's packages. Their travel insurance (offered through Allianz) is straightforward, easy-to-understand, and is perfect for nearly every passenger.

Payment Options

Another positive aspect of flying with Delta is that you are able to pay for a flight with sources of credit other than a credit card. Another payment option that could be used, for example, is Bill Me Later.

Lots of Destinations

Delta has a wide array of destinations available for its clients. Their network of partners makes it easy for customers to get anywhere in the United States.

In some states, it was also possible to get to smaller cities through some of their partners. For example, we found that Moab, UT (a popular tourist spot) has scheduled service with SkyWest and Delta.

Varied Fleet

Another thing that separates Delta from their competition is their fleet of planes. Several Airbus and Boeing models are used in its wide-bodied fleet, and come with Wi-Fi, LCD displays (as of 2012), and AC power for laptops (on some planes).

Many narrow-bodied planes, mainly used for smaller connecting flights, also have Wi-Fi and other entertainment options available for customers.

In-Flight Food and Beverages

The carrier has an extensive meal service for its flights, and any flight over six hours has a complimentary meal.

There is a wide variety of beverages available on flights. Alcoholic beverages include wine, beer, and some other liquor varieties that vary in price based upon the flight.

Also, all non-alcoholic beverages (including soda and coffee) are free.

A customer service experience with Delta is most likely to be positive. The website is filled with information that potential fliers may ask. It is simple to contact customer support via Domestic Flight Booking service number (800-221-1212), to ask specific questions about prices for purchasing a ticket. This is also a great place, along with their website, to get information about travel insurance.

On-Time Flights

As per Flightstats.com, Delta flights arrive on-time roughly 87% of the time. Compared to other top airlines, this is very competitive.

The Bad

• Baggage Fees
  • Upgrade Issues

Baggage Fees

Let's face it; airlines can have a lot of problems when it comes to baggage. The largest complaints with Delta seems to stem from checked baggage fees. Some customers complained about the second checked baggage fee of $35. When customers take a carry-on that should be checked, some became offended at the complimentary free baggage check after check-in.

Upgrade Issues

Going overseas, some customers had issues with the economy upgrade perks to their ticket. When the economy comfort perks had been "overbooked," customers were issued a refund, but often complained at not getting the experience that they had originally paid for.

Overall, these complaints were to be expected when flying in general, and most customers were pleased with their Delta experience.

The Bottom Line

We have the utmost faith in recommending Delta as an airline. We really liked the company's outstanding reputation with customers and the SkyMiles rewards program. It's very rare to find an airline that doesn't let your frequent flier miles expire. However, with Delta, your coverage will vary. There are some changes between the SkyMiles 2015 plan and the 2014 plan and these depend upon the flight purchased and where your flight is going.

Delta is also environmentally friendly. In 2008, they started using a Pre-Kote, a surface treatment to prevent corrosion on its aircraft.

Overall, we feel like Delta is on the cutting edge in terms of customer service and its SkyMiles Program.

View Best Airlines

Holly Schafer

June 10th, 2019 Forest Grove, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use to love flying with delta but I hate it now. There planes are usually dirty. I don’t like that you have to pay extra to pick a seat and they have terrible customer service.

Camry

June 10th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta had overbooked the flight I was taking with some friends over Memorial Day weekend by 5 seats. They paid us $200 each if we were willing to wait until the next flight out two hours later (which more than covered the cost of our flight). Thanks, Delta!

Brenda

June 10th, 2019 Spanish Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love flying with Delta. Especially their Biscoff cookies! Recently they needed someone to be bumped to a later flight because they had overbooked. I was in no rush so I offered and they sent me a MasterCard Gift Card straight to my house for offering. I basically got a free flight.

Marissa

June 7th, 2019 Redwood Falls, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I LOVE Delta. They have the best customer service and their flights are just so much better--especially when traveling with children. Their in-flight services can't be beat.

Trenton Prestwich

June 6th, 2019 Taylorsville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been on many delta flights. Staff is usually professional and flights are on time.

Natalie Prestwich

June 6th, 2019 Taylorsville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have flown with Delta several times. Each time has been amazing! They have always been on time, staff is very friendly and the airplanes are clean. I do feel like they are a little more money than some other airlines, but I’ve never had a bad experience with them yet!

susie

June 5th, 2019 Kaysville, UT

i love delta and have flown with delta pretty much most of my life. and the airplanes and service and so nice. i would recommend delta for sure.

Courtney Eames

June 5th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I LOVE delta! They have the best costumer service and are great to help me fix any problems I have! Delta is always my first choice because of their upgraded planes and amazing staff!

Grant Lofgreen

June 5th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Planes are very well maintained. Flights are comfortable and destinations are ample.

Jeremy Balls

June 4th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is the airline I use the most. Flight Attendants have always been nice, friendly, and helpful. My main complaints are the seats and leg room have shrunk over the years and every flight is full or overbooked.

Christina Balls

June 4th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We almost always fly Delta as they offer a free checked bag and good customer service most of the time. Hold times are very long though. One downfall would be them not being as competitive in their pricing with other airlines. It would be nice to fly the comfort of Delta with the competitive pricing.

Tracy Hill

June 3rd, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve been flying with delta for years and I love them. The employees will always do everything they can to help you and I love using sky miles towards my flights. I will be flying with them for many more years.

Jeremy

June 3rd, 2019 Springville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I travel for work and refuse to use any other airline. Great incentives programs, good service. Nice planes.

Jenna Loose

June 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love flying with Delta! Although their prices can be a little expensive, I do appreciate that I can bring both a personal item and a carry on! They are also always on time and accommodating to their customers.

Dale L Farmer

June 3rd, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I took a long trip over the Atlantic and it was a pleasure to be on their plane.

Brittany Bray

May 31st, 2019 Springville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We flew delta last week . I love that they have TVs to watch and options to charge my phone. Such a good flight!

Kimberly LeBaron

May 31st, 2019 Delta, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta can be a more expensive way to travel, but they are extremely reliable and flights are very comfortable. You know exactly what you’re getting with Delta. There aren’t weird hidden fees, and their website is very user friendly. I say if you’re not trying to fly at the cheapest possible rates, go with Delta.

Nicole LeBaron

May 31st, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used delta airlines when I went to school in Hawaii for college. I’m from a Chicago so the flight is about 8 hours without any layovers. My mom used delta for a couple of my flights and the plane ride was enjoyable! Comfy chairs, leg room, and tv for my long flights (all in economy). I was always entertained and the staff has always been nice to me. Highly recommend it!

Claudia Soto

May 31st, 2019 Park City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta has superb customer service. From small to big issues, the staff has always helped me resolve any issues. Furthermore, taking flights with Delta is always satisfactory, with good quality airplanes and service. Delta is my go-to airline!

Emily Walker

May 31st, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use Delta almost every time I travel. I feel like the workers are very friendly and always very helpful.

Samie Cummings

May 30th, 2019 Ephraim, UT

I love delta! They take great care of you when you are riding with them. The service is great. And they are very high quality

Kassandra

May 30th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

In my experience they we're more classy and comfortable than Southwest. I enjoyed my flight with them!

Sarah

May 29th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is by far the best airline company to fly with. They treat you so good while you are flying and actually have nice planes. I didn’t fly delta on my last flight and I regret it 100%.

Myles Cox

May 29th, 2019 Portland, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Cheap flights and average customer service. I only fly Delta when I travel and haven't had any world-stopping issues.

Rylie Crandall

May 28th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Every time I fly with Delta I am happy with the experience. Their staff is helpful

Jennifer

May 28th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Delta Airlines and have flown with them on a number of occasions. We have always been great at helping you feel comfortable on the plane and like I matter. I would highly recommend Delta Airlines.

Kennedy

May 28th, 2019 Orem, UT

Delta is the best! They are always so nice! Great service. I love the tv screens on the planes.

Jacob Shaner

May 28th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My favorite airline! I have always had a good experience flying with delta. The flight attendents are always helpful and on flights with movies there’s always a great selection.

Anne Sainsbury

May 28th, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have flown on a number of different Airlines, but I would say that Delta is one of my favorite. One of the biggest issues that I have with Delta is their pricing. I have traveled quite a bit and struggle to pay the sum they require each time I fly. If you are looking for a great quality and are willing to spend the extra money, Delta is the way to go!

Beth Farmer

May 24th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Just flew with Delta for a sisters trip. They now make you pay to check a bag. Seriously? I can't take a bag for free? The ticket to fly is already so expensive I can't believe you have to pay extra to take stuff with you!! On top of that we had to pay if we wanted to pick our seats! They have just found ANY way to get an extra buck out of you. When we paid extra to pick our seats they told us we'd be first to board since we had paid extra. Our zone was the very last zone. We were literally the last ones on the plane even though we paid extra. There's very little room on the airplanes but I think that's any airplane unfortunately. I gave them a 3 star only because I was so happy to have a screen with the newest movies and they also had movies for children on there! Just hook up your ear phones and you could watch anything you wanted. That was so nice!

Hannah Anderson

May 24th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is my preferred airline. Not only do they hVe incredible customer service, but I always feel valued as a customer, even when flying basic economy.

Camilla Lundberg

May 24th, 2019 Mapleton, UT

I absolutely love flying delta! I love the deals you get and I love the service from the flight attendants Ive never had a problem with delta and i dont think i ever will! i love the snacks they serve and i love the destinations they fly to. i love being able to talk to them if i have any questions! everyone should fly delta because they are the best i love that they offer one free checked bag if its under 50 pounds.

Brooke Herbon

May 24th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is the only airline I know will be consistent every time I fly! I 100% prefer flying with delta over any other airline.

Rosie Hansen

May 21st, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love flying through Delta when I can. Their flights always leave and arrive on time. I also appreciate the complimentary snacks they offer when flights are delayed.

Elisa Vakapuna

May 20th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have flown delta for years and love the company! Delta’s service is amazing!

BLF

May 16th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We fly Delta if we can find a good price on a ticket. They have great seats and customer service and fly just about anywhere.

Alexandra Chavez-Earls

May 15th, 2019 Chandler, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was sketched out at first to use delta but I have used them a couple times and they have really great prices and so far I have not had any problems. Great customer service!

Scott

May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I don't fly a lot but when I do I try to fly Delta. I really like their flight options and prices are good. I know that I will continue to use Delta anytime in the future I am going to travel.

Craig

May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great option especially when flying out of Salt Lake City. Huge amount of flight options and wonderful customer service! I have never had a bad experience with Delta.

Kelcee Young

May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

In my experience delta is one of the nicest airlines you could go on!!! They have great customer service and are always really friendly!! They always make sure that you are being taken care of and you are having a great trip and flight!!

Dean

May 14th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love Delta! I have yet to have a flight late while flying on Delta. The prices are a little high but the flight options, a ton of direct flights, make it very convenient. I love the customer service and have genuinely never had a single problem while flying Delta.

Jennifer

May 13th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta has always been great to me. They have a ton of flight options, their prices are low and their customer service is great. Whenever I look for a flight, I always check with Delta first. If you haven't flown on Delta you will be so happy with the flight attendants and flight services.

Reese

May 10th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Delta Airlines. I have flown many times on Delta and they have more space and the quality is always better. I am treated as a person, and not as cattle and the flights are more pleasant. They are convenient out of Salt Lake City and go where I want to go.

Ashley

May 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta Airlines is my favorite above all the other Airlines. Their prices are a little more expensive but for longer flights it is worth it! The regular economy seats are very spacious and the staff is always professional and kind. I love that every head rest pops out and each seat, I guess depending on your flight, has a TV to watch. The movies and shows are always changing and I love that you get your Diet Coke for free!

Ashley Gneiting

May 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I play volleyball for a club team that flies all over the United States. Delta is my favorite airline because of the leg room and the seats all have a head rest you can pull out. I also get one free bag to check.

Rob Whipple

May 6th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Always a good experience. Good crew, easy to use website and reasonable rates. A little nicer than some of the other economical airlines.

Katie

April 15th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently flew with Delta and it was a wonderful experience. Using their app was extremely helpful as it kept me updated about my plane schedule (which ended up changing twice because of the weather). I would definitely recommend flying with Delta!

Cole

April 15th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Delta is the best airline. They always give great snacks. They have comfy seats and there is good service!

Matthew Driggs

April 12th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very reliable. Newer planes and a little bit more room than other airlines. I am tall and that matters.

Rich Roberts

April 5th, 2019 Rockland, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I can trust Delta to provide a safe plane for me and my family. The services are always exceptional and the employees always friendly.