Delta Airlines Logo

Delta Airlines

7.2

LAST UPDATED: May 9th, 2022

Delta Airlines is one of the largest American airlines and is headquartered at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. It has one of the largest network hubs in the world and flies to over 325 destinations in 64 different countries. What began as Huff Daland Dusters, a crop dusting service, later became Delta Air Services with passenger flights starting in June 1929.

2013 saw Delta become the world's largest airline in terms of scheduled passengers, and the second largest in terms of revenue passenger-kilometers.

The company has worked extensively to make sure that customers have perks on most (if not all) planes in its fleet.

Passengers in the wide-bodied Boeing 766 are guaranteed to have wireless Internet available. Other models of planes may have Wi-Fi, but this feature has to be added to some planes (especially the fleet of Airbus and smaller narrow-bodied models).

Delta Sky Magazine, which is published by MSP Communications offers customers a wide variety of items to be perused in-flight.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Delta reviews from real customers.

View Best Airlines

JetBlue Logo
#3 JetBlue chevron_right
Hawaiian Airlines Logo
#4 Hawaiian Airlines chevron_right

The Good

• Rewards Program
  • Payment Options
  • Lots of Destinations
  • Varied Fleet
  • In-Flight Food and Beverages
  • Customer Service
  • On-Time Flights

Rewards Program

There is a lot to like about Delta's SkyMiles rewards program. It is one of the only airlines in the industry to not let its customers' frequent flier miles expire. This perk for returning customers provides the potential for significant value over time.

Additional perks that come with being a SkyMiles member include flight upgrades, vacation packages, and other amenities.

There are no blackout dates for Delta's SkyMiles program.

Transparency is an important component of Delta's packages. Their travel insurance (offered through Allianz) is straightforward, easy-to-understand, and is perfect for nearly every passenger.

Payment Options

Another positive aspect of flying with Delta is that you are able to pay for a flight with sources of credit other than a credit card. Another payment option that could be used, for example, is Bill Me Later.

Lots of Destinations

Delta has a wide array of destinations available for its clients. Their network of partners makes it easy for customers to get anywhere in the United States.

In some states, it was also possible to get to smaller cities through some of their partners. For example, we found that Moab, UT (a popular tourist spot) has scheduled service with SkyWest and Delta.

Varied Fleet

Another thing that separates Delta from their competition is their fleet of planes. Several Airbus and Boeing models are used in its wide-bodied fleet, and come with Wi-Fi, LCD displays (as of 2012), and AC power for laptops (on some planes).

Many narrow-bodied planes, mainly used for smaller connecting flights, also have Wi-Fi and other entertainment options available for customers.

In-Flight Food and Beverages

The carrier has an extensive meal service for its flights, and any flight over six hours has a complimentary meal.

There is a wide variety of beverages available on flights. Alcoholic beverages include wine, beer, and some other liquor varieties that vary in price based upon the flight.

Also, all non-alcoholic beverages (including soda and coffee) are free.

A customer service experience with Delta is most likely to be positive. The website is filled with information that potential fliers may ask. It is simple to contact customer support via Domestic Flight Booking service number (800-221-1212), to ask specific questions about prices for purchasing a ticket. This is also a great place, along with their website, to get information about travel insurance.

On-Time Flights

As per Flightstats.com, Delta flights arrive on-time roughly 87% of the time. Compared to other top airlines, this is very competitive.

The Bad

• Baggage Fees
  • Upgrade Issues

Baggage Fees

Let's face it; airlines can have a lot of problems when it comes to baggage. The largest complaints with Delta seems to stem from checked baggage fees. Some customers complained about the second checked baggage fee of $35. When customers take a carry-on that should be checked, some became offended at the complimentary free baggage check after check-in.

Upgrade Issues

Going overseas, some customers had issues with the economy upgrade perks to their ticket. When the economy comfort perks had been "overbooked," customers were issued a refund, but often complained at not getting the experience that they had originally paid for.

Overall, these complaints were to be expected when flying in general, and most customers were pleased with their Delta experience.

The Bottom Line

We have the utmost faith in recommending Delta as an airline. We really liked the company's outstanding reputation with customers and the SkyMiles rewards program. It's very rare to find an airline that doesn't let your frequent flier miles expire. However, with Delta, your coverage will vary. There are some changes between the SkyMiles 2015 plan and the 2014 plan and these depend upon the flight purchased and where your flight is going.

Delta is also environmentally friendly. In 2008, they started using a Pre-Kote, a surface treatment to prevent corrosion on its aircraft.

Overall, we feel like Delta is on the cutting edge in terms of customer service and its SkyMiles Program.

View Best Airlines

Carlito Wayz New York, NY

My experience with delta airlines was good because I am a person that does not like to use airplanes to travel. But honestly the way I was treated during the entire trip by the attendants helped me to feel very comfortable in the air flight that I did not even feel as if I was in the air traveling that when the plane arrived and was to land I was amazed at how it was not as bad as I always felt of trips in the air. Good service by DeltaAirlines: ANDY D

shirell West Haven, CT

ten stars acrossss the skiessssss the service was great the seats were comfy they also helped when i missed a flight ,, They gave me at no charge middle class seats and a flight for the next day , remarkable services

Deb Lingner Springfield, IL

Couldn't be more pleased with Delta Airlines. Reservations are easily obtainable, through their app...very customer friendly. It keeps one up to date if any flight changes along with other things! Have yet to have a delay as with other airlines! Customer service is fantastic!! It's the only airline for me!

Bill Childs Stoneham, MA

So I had first class seats for a flight to Mexico with my boyfriend and when we sat in out seats the company made us get up and move to coach so some other couple could take the seats without an explanation. Never flying delta again.

estelle stevens Orem, UT

Everyone is always so nice and helpful! Delta makes flying anywhere an enjoyable experience! They are super dependable! highly recommend!

Mario Martin Montgomery, TX

My relatives are employees of Delta, so I should be a little bias but I'm actually not. Delta services are incredible especially if you're interested in booking flights at a moments notice. This is an Airline that will actually go the extra mile to accommodate my travel needs and request.

Lynette Jorgensen Herriman, UT

Wide variety of destinations and time of travel to choose from. Prices are comparable to other airlines. The seats are comfortable and the planes are clean. My only complaint is that you have to pay extra money to choose your seat.

Brynlee Dalton Riverton, UT

Delta Airlines is SUCH a good company! There is an amazing feeling every time I get on a Delta flight! When I went to Disneyland, I used Delta Airlines, and I loved it so much! I would definitely recommend Delta Airlines to a friend.

Lyn Okemos, MI

From safety ratings for covid, I saw that Delta was the best of the airlines with surpassing guidelines for safety. I have not had luggage problems that I have experienced with other airlines. It was easy to purchase and confirm a flight from their website. They have good updates on your upcoming flight. It is also nice that they continue to allow you to carryon luggage instead of charging a big fee like Spirit.

Victor Olaore Omoshehin Brooklyn, NY

Delta Airline have been one of the flights ✈ which I have patronized so well this year 2021. My experience with Delta to Houston, NYC among others have been really inspiration. I will recommend that they keep to their time of their flight schedule as much possible as they can. My other concern have been at times when the flight gates changes while waiting to be boarded. It will take only focused and vigilante pansaangers who pay attention to get the notification about these changes.

Thomas Nuffer Lindon, UT

I had a good experience flying with Delta last weekend. There was a decent snack selection with different juices and sodas. The headrest screen was pretty nice and had hundreds of shows and movies, and a few games too. They gate checked our carry-ons for free and didn't lose them, and my laptop survived the journey. The mobile app functions perfectly with no bugs and was handy to scan our boarding passes and to know when our bags arrived at the luggage claim.

Heather Novus Palm Bay, FL

This airline has gotten better over the years. Still room for improvement on what's offered in the air, but flight prices are very competitive

Shon Scoville Lehi, UT

Delta does not have the cheapest fares. However, the skymiles rewards program, the seat comfort and the screens available for each customer make them my airline of choice!

jerry hollie Oceanside, CA

Fly delta from Atl to San on 24 Dec 2021 in First Class! Less than half way through flight, the First Class Cabin started to smell like a porta potty. None of the flight crew addressed the issue, but our remarks to them went no where. The just after the new year, I purchased a one away ticket for my daughter back to GA where she is stationed in the Coast Guard. I paid for her to fly Comfort Plus. When she checked into San Diego they informed her she was being bumped off her flight. The issue was a very long line to check in. The Delta staff at no time tried to announce departing passengers on her flight to come forward to assist in checking in. They just bumped people. Daughter reported staff at San Diego were very rude. So after her flight I sent Delta an email twice complaining about our First Class travel and that I was requesting a refund for the difference in her flight from Comfort Plus to Coach. There is a good amount of difference between the two. As of today, 8 Feb 2022 I have yet to heat back from Delta and making this right. It confirmed that Delta does not truly care about customer service and their passengers. So it is now time to say goodbye to Delta and start flying a different airline starting in May for our next family trip. Delta had plenty of time to right a wrong and has failed to do so..

Taylor Jorgensen Herriman, UT

It is very comfortable, and they have enough entertainment and movies for any flight. I also love the treats and snacks. The workers are also very nice.

Brynlee Dalton South Jordan, UT

I love Delta Airlines so much! There is such a great feeling every time I get on a Delta flight. I used Delta Airlines when I flew to California, and I absolutely loved it! I would definitely recommend it to a friend.

Paula Pili Provo, UT

It’s a decent airlines. They do their job. The seats feel like they’ve gotten narrow Some of Southwest and even Allegiant Airlines seats seem even wider. The seat belt is also smaller on delta. Fares have gotten higher all the way around . I’ve been flying delta for decades mainly because they fly non stop from Salt Lake to HNL I’ve taken trips East Coast to Alaska to Texas and overall nothing really stands out but that can be a good thing too.

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

Delta is the ultimate flying experience. The customer service is amazing from the moment you are booking your flight to when you take your seat on the plane. The seats are very comfortable, the aircraft clean, and most importantly the staff is kind and patient. Additionally, the fancy snacks add a great touch to the experience it is flying Delta.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

Pandemic or not their service has always been top notch for me. They're understanding of carry on luggage if you have to gate check and make sure that you aren't delayed when exiting the plane if they have to grab your bag from under the plane. It's usually already waiting on the walk way off the plane when you get off.

Patrick L Sugrue Ooltewah, TN

We have flown Delta many times to different parts of the USA and for the most part the flights have been ok. Yes times have changed and planes are full and with discount fares, more people than ever are flying. We think they do a good job and understand it is a tough job. We've not been on a plane since COVID and won't fly for some time till things settle down. Our only complaint with Delta was their companion pet policy. Too many people are fudging their need for a companion pet exemption IMO because they are too cheap to pay for their dog to be shipped. The other thing we've experienced is large people and their body overhanging into our space. We've had that happen twice, one guys gut was so large, he couldn't put his tray tabled down and asked us if he could put his drink on my wife's tray table. He was a nice guy, but really??? He should have been required to pay for two seats. Our last few flights which were cross country we've flown first class and that service is exceptional. Yes you pay for it, but in our late years it is worth it for us.

Aly Wright Idaho Falls, ID

I recently travelled to Ohio using Delta Airlines. I was expecting to have a bit stressful experience as some other Airlines can be but not with Delta. My husband purchased our tickets without any hassle or any hidden fees. Delta really wants you to use your sky miles as they offer us to upgrade our seats with them. Their app is so easy to use. We were able to check in the day prior our flight avoiding having to get up earlier to stand in line to check in. The app also had our tickets so we didn't have to print them. Our flights were something I wasn't expecting. They were super clean, the staff was super nice, the flight itself both ways were smooth flights. My only tiny complain is that due to covid they no longer offer blankets and pillows. Aside from that little detail the flight was great.

Scott A. Johnson Orem, UT

I travel for business and have flown with many airlines. Delta is by far my top preference for flying because they tend to be on time and have few cancellations or other snafus that will disrupt your trip. Their staff is friendly. Reserved seating, especially for members of the Skymiles program is greatly appreciated. Snacks and drinks are good and improving. Planes are typically well maintained. They fly just about everywhere domestically and many international locations through their partner network. Their one drawback is that you pay for the better service. They tend to be more expensive than competitors for similar flights.

Monette Major Dallas, TX

Well, it was the very beginning of this Covid-19 crap. I was flying with co-workers to a training session, two of which were not happy to be flying. As we backed away from the terminal, a young man decided he did not want to be on that plane. He was perhaps, late 20 and was adamant about getting off the plane. The flight attendant did her best to reason with him. He wanted OFF! The plane was stopped, the pilot was told if the situation and we pulled back to the terminal. The young man proclaims he has chest pains... a paramedic and a security guard were brought on to the plane. They assesed him and removed him. The pilot adressed us all. Told us that for our safety, he wanted us all iff the plane along with our possessions. They did a full security sweep of the plane, cleared it and allowed us back on. In these trying times, our crew remained calm and level headed and were concerned with the safety if all! Good job!

Jen Paxman Lehi, UT

Delta Airlines is simply the best. From the seating room, to the on plane media options, to the flight options, to the customer service, you simply can't beat Delta. If you are willing to look, you can usually find Delta flight prices comparable to other airlines. Their flight attendants are always kind and attentive and great with my kids. Their customer service has always been great to work with and always willing to help, if they are able. Although they may be a little more than other airlines, it is worth it to me to pay a little bit more and have better connections and all of the other things that I have mentioned above.

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

For some reason whenever I fly on Delta I feel a little fancier than other airlines. The seating seems spacious and there is often a TV on the back of the seats. The flight attendants are always kind and they often serve biscoff cookies, which I love! It's also nice because when you earn points, they pretty much fly everywhere so you can earn points to go to some pretty amazing places. I do wish their points would go a little further than they do, but having so many options for locations to fly is super nice. Also, they are high quality, but still competitive on price, which I definitely appreciate.

Dale Ash Sandy, UT

I have used Delta almost exclusively for over 30 years. They go out of their way to be helpful to frequent fliers. I am a 2 million miler and lifetime Gold Medallion flyer. I like having the ability to reserve seating. No charges for our bags when my wife travels with me due to my frequent flyer status. We get early boarding privileges. They understand the value of frequent fliers and reward you accordingly. I wish they still had 25,000 round trips anywhere in the US anytime, but understand the need to change as they attracted so many frequent fliers. You can still get flights with low mileage commitments if you book early. Delta is always a great way to fly!

Susan Seasholtz Jacksonville, FL

From the reservation agents on the phone to the gate agents to the flight attendants to the pilots to the wheelchair assistants, A+. On a recent European trip, Delta handled flight problems and wheelchair assistance to be sure we had great seats and curb to aircraft wheelchair assistance for two travelers. The aircraft were well maintained and we were well fed. Not gourmet but good and plentiful. One Delta employee on one leg was a little grumpy but no big deal. I prefer Delta operated flights to Delta connection flights because they are more reliable, but I just haven't had the negative experiences people are posting. I had a girl try to take my seat but handled it myself.

Mike P Milwaukee, WI

I flew Delta 2-4 times a nearly every week for nearly 3 years and only had 3 late flights and no cancellations. I have flown the other guys, but never the same luck. Domestic, I cannot complain about the service, though they do have some older planes, at least on shorter routes. Internationally I have flown all the US major Airlines and Delta wins hands down. Multiple free meals in coach, free beer/wine/soda, your own bottle of water, etc. I was even re-booked on a Delta flight after another airline's flight was canceled to Europe and stuck in the back of the plane, but the flight crew and service was so amazing it didn't even matter. I should clarify that I had status at United, American and Delta at one point and no longer fly as regularly and lost all of my cool perks, but I still will pay extra for Delta because I know that I will get there on time, or if not know that their people will get me to where I need to go in a reasonable amount of time. I can't say that for United or American, even when I had status I was left stranded. Highly recommend Delta over any other US based airline.

Vanessa Butler Columbia, MO

I like Delta. They try hard to help you reach your destination and in an event of cancelled flights they will go as far as to book you a flight with a different airline

Anoushka Ahuja Orlando, FL

Delta over the years has deteriorated! The last flight on Delta was seriously delayed and their communication was very poor. No accommodations were presented to rectify or compensate on the lost time, it was like sorry but there is nothing we can do

Aubrey Dallas, TX

I usually always try and fly Delta since they've always been the cleanest and nicer airline company compared to all the rest. Oh and they also have the cookies that are fire.

Leon Yoakum Los Angeles, CA

I have a delta airlines American express. Nice benefits for card holders.

Celia Pascoe Allentown, PA

Delta airlines seemed to be right on during Covid-19. Making people wear masks (which was a mandate) and then keeping empty seats between people. Many airlines did not do this because of loss in revenue. I commend Delta for keeping people safe above their profits. I also have found the staff easy to work with and when I called to ask questions I was able to get a customer service representative that I could understand who was professional and courteous. Thanks Delta!

Jodianna Maitland, FL

Delta is my favorite airline to fly with! The have a lot of great amenities and their service is always 5 stars. I like how in the beginning of covid, they were the only airline that took it seriously and did not sit passengers so close to each other.

DealStar Salt Lake City, UT

Having lived in a major hub for Delta Airlines for most of my years, I have flown a LOT with this airlines. I have had only two majorly disruptive experiences with Delta, one being the disconcerting time that someone inserted broken glass shards into my checked luggage, so when I arrived at my destination I had large glass shards in my clothing. The second incident was a strangely intrusive search of both my person and my luggage when I flew with a "one way" ticket to pick up an automobile I had purchased. Since I had no return ticket, I was suspect. This was shortly after the 9-11 attacks and is forgivable as such. Both of these incidents were at the hands of individuals, and as such, I don't blame Delta Airlines as a company. My fights have been consistently on time, and overall, I still prefer Delta to most other options. A couple of bad apples in the Delta bush don't deter me from flying with them. I still recommend Delta Airlines to my clients, friends, and family members, and they are still my #1 choice for domestic air travel.

Jayne Moore New York, NY

When I have something important - an important event, valuable cargo / luggage, to fly with my pet, or during the times of Covid, I choose Delta. I think they are the most diligent and responsible airline, their staff is all well trained and care about customer service. You just know what you are going to get with Delta, and I am rarely disappointed.

AF ,

This is our go-to airline, mostly because they have a hub at our airport. However, we really do like Delta. They fly to all the cities we need to go to and have good customer service. Because my husband flies so often we have a status to get the bag free (don't like paying for bags). I know with covid they've started to make it easier to change your flight without fees.... I really hope that they keep that policy moving forward.

Wenona Thornton Plainfield, IL

It's so easy to reserve a flight online. It's a no brainier and after that all communication is done by email and that works for me. It's so simple to find all your answers in there site. The seating is comfortable. There staff on and off the plane are all very pleasant. Also you don't have to pay for every piece of luggage. They are my favorite airline.

Charlotte

Professional and courteous. I appreciate the organization and communication before boarding and during the flight. My experience during the flights have been calm and positive! I gave up flying United, even though my nearest airport is Newark, because of their horrible customer service at airport and in-flight. Delta is my new first choice in airlines!

Fran

I flew from Seatac to Phx,AZ and back 2 days later. Both flights were oversold and customers were asked to take later flights. We were also told that there was inadequate space on the plane for each passenger to place one bag in in the overhead bins. This caused me a lot of stress as I could not repack my medical supplies in my smaller bag and let them gate check my carryon. I was lucky enough to find a bin that wasn't full. The flight attendants and pilots appeared to be doing there jobs well and were as helpful as possible. On my first flight , it was indicated that the fruit & cheese platter was available but when I requested it in flight I was told that they had not been stocked and the only meals available on the plane were ones I could not eat due to allergies.

Monique Watervliet, NY

I am nervous about airplanes and i have never flown with Delta Airlines. I had to take four planes round trip for my vacation with Delta all four planes. All flights were smooth during take off, landing and up in the air. The staff were all so friendly and caring which made it easier to adjust and be comfortable. I appreciate Delta Airlines for getting me to/from my destination safely.

Nicole LeBaron Provo, UT

I used delta airlines when I went to school in Hawaii for college. I’m from a Chicago so the flight is about 8 hours without any layovers. My mom used delta for a couple of my flights and the plane ride was enjoyable! Comfy chairs, leg room, and tv for my long flights (all in economy). I was always entertained and the staff has always been nice to me. Highly recommend it!

Ruth Anne Bright Mount Washington, KY

My first trip on an airplane ever, was recently taken on Delta Airlines, Round trip out west. The trip out was smooth sailing with excellent service. The trip back was met with a lot of turbulence. The staff, acting very professional kept the passengers feeling comfortable and safe. My husband and I needed assistance both boarding and exiting the aircraft. The ground staff once again, very professional.

Anne Marie Milne Layton, UT

I love Delta's service. I only fly Delta. My parent's only fly Delta as well. They are the ones who got me hooked on Delta. The flight attendants are very kind, very sweet, and are willing to get you whatever you need to make your flight pleasant. They treat each customer the same regardless of their seat placement. I've gotten 3 friends to switch and they only fly Delta now. My mom has gotten over 50 colleagues to fly Delta as well.

Valerie Gundersen American Fork, UT

It had taken a long time to get to the airport on one occasion. There was a long line to check in at the Delta counter in Orlando. One representative could see my frustration at trying to use one of the kiosks. I told him that I had some delays getting to the airport and that I was so frustrated. He checked me in and took my bag right to the front of the line to make sure it got on the flight. Thank you Delta!

Becky Stiggins Provo, UT

I enjoy flying delta. I am a frequent flier with Delta and I greatly appreciate the quality service they provide. I always have lots of flight options, and because of my status with the airline, I have access to the exit row which provides additional leg room which is very important to me. Also, I have flown delta to both of my parent's funerals, and Delta has been extremely accommodating both times.

Lindsey American Fork, UT

I have flown with Delta on multiple occasions, and it is always a very pleasing experience. Customer service is prompt and helpful, the employees you interact with on the flight are always cheerful and kind, and the company really cares for their customers. One time, my flight was delayed 3-4 hours, and Delta had snacks and drinks available for those on the flight, and checked my bag for free. I will never fly another airline - just Delta!

nako Bismarck, ND

I don't believe I've had an issue with Delta in my nearly 10 years of flying with them. I have used other airlines in which Delta has them all beat. Their newer planes are very nice and relaxing and I really enjoy the fact that my miles will never expire. Even though the prices don't compare to discount airlines, they are usually the cheapest of their other higher end competitors and allow one free carry on bag aside from your personal item. All around quality airline.

Caitlin Bekker Salt Lake City, UT

I have been loving Delta more and more through the years. When I was about 8 years old the flight attendants took me to the cock pit to see all of the controls and meet the pilot, it was something I will never forget! Just recently I was on a flight to Amsterdam and feeling very sick due to pregnancy and the flight attendants were very kind and accommodating with the help I needed. I felt very well taken care of and the food was just right!

Lud Mushluck Houghton, MI

I fly Delta exclusively. Although 7-8 years ago they were dubious, now days the service is top shelf. You get the feeling from everyone in the organization that your business matters to them. I connect on regional jets to DTW or MSP. As is often the case there are "issues" with the regional jets. However, lately, the service associated with the delays caused by "issues" is extraordinary. Rebooking begins immediately, fees are waived, what ever they can do they do it. While you're waiting for your delayed flight they order in Subway sandwiches or McDonalds breakfast, or provide other snacks and beverages. Gone are the days when they treat you like a mushroom, if you know what I mean. I really enjoy flying Delta. probably shouldn't say that as it will jinx my next flight. But, I do. Good company and my hats off to the leadership in the company that really turned it around.