Delta Airlines

7.2

Delta Airlines is one of the largest American airlines and is headquartered at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Delta has one of the largest network hubs in the world and flies to over 325 destinations in 64 different countries. They began as Huff Daland Dusters, a crop dusting service. Later, the company became Delta Air Services and started doing passenger flights in June 1929. In 2013, they became the world's largest airline in terms of scheduled passengers, and the second largest in terms of revenue passenger-kilometers. They have worked extensively to make sure that customers have perks on most (if not all) of the planes in its fleet. In its wide-bodied planes, the Boeing 766 are guaranteed to have wireless Internet available for its customers. Other models of planes may have Wi-Fi, but they had to add this feature to its planes (especially the fleet of Airbus and smaller narrow-bodied models). They also have the Delta Sky Magazine, which is published by MSP Communications. Their customers can purchase a wide variety of items from this magazine online, after perusing a wide selection of items while in flight.

The Good

• Rewards program
  • Payment options
  • Destinations
  • Fleet
  • Beverages
  • On-time percentage

There is a lot to like about Delta's SkyMiles rewards program. They claim to be one of the only airlines in the industry to not let its customers' frequent flier miles expire, which provides their regular customers with the potential for significant value over time. There are additional perks that come with being a SkyMiles member, including flight upgrades, vacation packages, and other amenities. There are no blackout dates for Delta's SkyMiles program.

Transparency is an important component of Delta's packages. Their travel insurance (offered through Allianz) is straightforward, easy-to-understand, and is perfect for nearly every passenger.

Another positive aspect of flying with Delta is that you are able to pay for a flight with sources of credit other than a credit card. Another payment option that could be used, for example, is Bill Me Later.

Delta has a wide array of destinations available for its clients. Their network of partners makes it easy for customers to get anywhere in the United States. In some states, it was also possible to get to smaller cities through some of their partners. For example, we found that Moab, UT (a popular tourist spot) has scheduled service with SkyWest and Delta.

Another thing that separates Delta from their competition is their fleet of planes. They have several Airbus and Boeing models in its wide-bodied fleet, which have Wi-Fi, LCD displays (as of 2012), and AC power for laptops (on some planes). Many of their narrow-bodied planes, mainly used for smaller connecting flights, also have Wi-Fi and other entertainment options available for customers.

There is a wide variety of beverages available on flights. Alcoholic beverages include wine, beer, and some other liquor varieties that vary in price based upon the flight. They also have an extensive meal service for its flights, and any flight over six hours has a complimentary meal. Also, all non-alcoholic beverages (including soda and coffee) are free.

A customer service experience with Delta is most likely to be positive. Their website is filled with information that potential fliers may ask. It is simple to contact them through their Domestic Flight Booking service number (800-221-1212), and ask specific questions about prices for purchasing a ticket. This is also a great place, along with their website, to get information about travel insurance.

As per Flightstats.com, Delta flights arrive on-time roughly 87% of the time. Compared to other top airlines, this is very competitive.

The Bad

• Baggage fees
  • Upgrade issues

Let's face it; airlines can have a lot of problems when it comes to baggage. The largest complaints with Delta seems to stem from their checked baggage fees. Some customers complained about the second checked baggage fee of $35. When some customers take a carry-on that should be checked, some customers became offended at the complimentary free baggage check after check-in.

Going overseas, some customers had issues with the economy upgrade perks to their ticket. When the economy comfort perks had been "overbooked," customers were issued a refund, but often complained at not getting the experience that they had originally paid for.

Overall, these complaints were to be expected when flying in general, and most customers were pleased with their Delta experience.

The Bottom Line

We have the utmost faith in recommending Delta as an airline. We really liked their outstanding reputation with customers. Another thing that is very positive is their SkyMiles rewards program. It's very rare to find an airline that doesn't let your frequent flier miles expire. However, with Delta, your coverage will vary. There are some changes between the SkyMiles 2015 plan and the 2014 plan and these depend upon the flight purchased and where your flight is going.

Delta is also environmentally friendly. In 2008, they started using a Pre-Kote, a surface treatment to prevent corrosion on its aircraft. Overall, we feel like Delta is on the cutting edge in terms of customer service and its SkyMiles Program.

3.6

Sarah Coats

December 13th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

I love flying Delta. They are very professional and the flights are always enjoyable.

Suzanna Wootton

December 13th, 2017 Springville, UT DETAILS

I’ve flown with delta for years. The most recent was on a trip for my honeymoon and it was back when the delta headquarters had an issue and got everything shut down so our flights were cancelled, etc. They were very kind and gave us $400 in vouchers for the inconvenience.

Kaylee

December 13th, 2017 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

The planes usually take off and arrive late. Once I spent so long waiting to take off, by the time we did the plane was supposed to have already landed at our destination. The bag check is pricey but the snacks are tasty. However, the planes are pretty nice and usually have outlets to charge your devices.

Chuck Stiggins

December 13th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

The customer service with delta is amazing! Everyone is willing to help and they are very friendly. Our primary airline is Delta

Megan Rigby

December 12th, 2017 DETAILS

I've only flown with Delta a few times but my experience has always been a positive one. when I have my kids with me, its great to have the built in touch screens televisions right in front of you. Makes for a great time killer with small children!

Kristen Davidson

December 12th, 2017 Layton, UT

I only travel DELTA or a subsidiary of DELTA when ever possible. After other experiences with airlines,the delay, lack of service etc. I find that traveling with DELTA is always a quality experience.

Valerie Gundersen

December 12th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

It had taken a long time to get to the airport on one occasion. There was a long line to check in at the Delta counter in Orlando. One representative could see my frustration at trying to use one of the kiosks. I told him that I had some delays getting to the airport and that I was so frustrated. He checked me in and took my bag right to the front of the line to make sure it got on the flight. Thank you Delta!

Hannah

December 11th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

I always feel comfortable and get to my locations on time. I have never been delayed, in fact many times my flights get to my destination earlier than expected.

Krystal

December 11th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

Delta employees are always very helpful and kind. They have the customers best interest in mind and are always willing to assist in any way they can.

Kimberly Bronson

December 9th, 2017 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS

I have confidence in flying with Delta and have used them often. I have never had issues with tickets, customers service or flights. I find their prices to be reasonable and they are a reliable service.

Lydia Kropelnicki

December 9th, 2017 Maple Valley, WA DETAILS

Delta was very cool with us when we needed to change our ticket times when we made a mistake booking. Boarding went smoothly and the in-flight service was good. Staff were very friendly and attentive and I would recommend this airline.

Hannah

December 9th, 2017 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Becky Stiggins

December 8th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

I enjoy flying delta. I am a frequent flier with Delta and I greatly appreciate the quality service they provide. I always have lots of flight options, and because of my status with the airline, I have access to the exit row which provides additional leg room which is very important to me. Also, I have flown delta to both of my parent's funerals, and Delta has been extremely accommodating both times.

William

December 7th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I recently flew to Hawaii, and I had a great experience with Delta. Both flights were as good as a six hour flight can be. The steward was very nice.

Lindsey

December 5th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I have flown with Delta on multiple occasions, and it is always a very pleasing experience. Customer service is prompt and helpful, the employees you interact with on the flight are always cheerful and kind, and the company really cares for their customers. One time, my flight was delayed 3-4 hours, and Delta had snacks and drinks available for those on the flight, and checked my bag for free. I will never fly another airline - just Delta!

Karen

December 5th, 2017 Frisco, TX DETAILS

It is usually very enjoyable to fly with Delta. The staff is courteous, but there are two main reasons why I don't fly with them if I have another option I don't like how they charge you money to check your bags. If you have purchased a ticket to fly with them, they should at least provide you with one checked bag for free. My husband and I have a Skymiles Account with them. When we have used our points in the past, and then have had to cancel a flight, the only way we can get our points back is by paying a $150 fee. That's not cool! We should be able to get our points back for free. Tickets for Delta are also priced higher than other airlines.

Leah

December 5th, 2017 DETAILS

Always a poor CX with delta. Had to give up a 1st class upgrade because they don’t know how to run a business

Tara Beckert

December 5th, 2017 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

I've flown with Delta a few times and have been happy with the overall experience. The staff is friendly and professional. The process for booking flights is fast and simple.

Ron Starkweather

December 4th, 2017 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

I only fly with delta, any time I’ve flown with another airline it hasn’t gone as well

Harikrishnan Bhanu

December 1st, 2017 Raleigh, NC DETAILS

I fly on Delta between four and five times a week, three weeks a month, ten months a year - on average. The flight attendants are spectacular and really care about your comfort. The pilots will do their absolute best to make sure you arrive (safely) on time.

Elisabeth spourdalakis

December 1st, 2017 Pasadena, CA DETAILS

We had booked last minute flights and got seats that were not conducive to physical needs. Delta airlines wrap went the extra mile to contact her supervisor and unblock the seats so the physical need could be accommodated. It is so appreciated. Thank you very very much !

Raquel

November 29th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

Flight was great. Flights are a bit expensive but my family and I have been flying with delta for years and the service has been great.

O.G. KO

November 28th, 2017 Columbia, SC DETAILS

Excellent Customer Service, along with general compassion of staff

Alberto

November 28th, 2017 DETAILS

Cheap and very good! Best services. I traveled with them many times.they're very good and I've always been satisfied

Jill Dastrup

November 24th, 2017 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

We love flying Delta and love that their prices are now some of the more affordable ones.

Scott Rasmussen

November 22nd, 2017 Davenport, IA DETAILS

Delta was prompt, organized and professional during my recent flight experiences. Their cabins are well maintained and if there is a delay or inconvenience, they were willing to take time to make sure everything was resolved.

Darren Cardwell

November 21st, 2017 Riverton, UT DETAILS

Fairly comfortable seating in newer jets with professional service and lots of locations.

Randy Carrico

November 20th, 2017 Summerville, SC DETAILS

good service, on-time, economy seating far to cramped. meals we average at best

Thelma Willett

November 20th, 2017 Louisville, KY DETAILS

The customer service reps are always very professional and helpful.

Kory Staheli

November 20th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

I like that Delta has direct flights into so many cities. But they are incredibly inflexible about rescheduling flights (without charging you through the ceiling) or letting you change to an earlier flight if your plans change and you arrive at the airport early (even if the plane is not full). I also do not like the fact that they changed their policy and now charge you extra money to get an assigned seat when making your reservation (even in the economy class). This was the main thing I didn't like about Southwest Airlines and why I used to always try and pick Delta over Southwest -- so I would have an assigned seat. Now since neither assign seats without charging you extra I don't really prefer one of them over the other and just look for the best flight at the best price.

Ellen

November 20th, 2017 DETAILS

Everything went smoothly, the airline staff were polite and accomodating and the airline was on time.

Oliviai C.

November 20th, 2017 San Antonio, TX DETAILS

Southwest does not charge for baggage! Delta is the best for overseas travel!

Chad And Megan Wheeler

November 20th, 2017 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS

Over priced in tickets and luggage. Seats are uncomfortable

Mark Troxel

November 20th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

I use a Skymiles card and perks. I appreciate the option of non stop flights all across the country.

Jeff

November 20th, 2017 Livonia, MI DETAILS

Seats are too small and uncomfortable. Food is average

cindy

November 20th, 2017 Cincinnati, OH DETAILS

Courteous, everything done as they said would be done

Robert M

November 20th, 2017 Pompano Beach, FL DETAILS

Customer Service and Performance They always go above and beyond and have earned my respect.

Barry Heinz

November 20th, 2017 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS

Always have had delays with this airline.

Jim Irwin

November 20th, 2017 Canton, MI DETAILS

Predominant carrier at airport and have great service

Lee Robert

November 20th, 2017 DETAILS

Been flying them for over 45 years. They treat me well and have planes clean, up to date and people respect me as a frequent flyer (1,300,00 miles)