Delta Airlines

Delta Airlines

Delta Airlines is one of the largest American airlines and is headquartered at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Delta has one of the largest network hubs in the world and flies to over 325 destinations in 64 different countries. They began as Huff Daland Dusters, a crop dusting service. Later, the company became Delta Air Services and started doing passenger flights in June 1929. In 2013, they became the world's largest airline in terms of scheduled passengers, and the second largest in terms of revenue passenger-kilometers. They have worked extensively to make sure that customers have perks on most (if not all) of the planes in its fleet. In its wide-bodied planes, the Boeing 766 are guaranteed to have wireless Internet available for its customers. Other models of planes may have Wi-Fi, but they had to add this feature to its planes (especially the fleet of Airbus and smaller narrow-bodied models). They also have the Delta Sky Magazine, which is published by MSP Communications. Their customers can purchase a wide variety of items from this magazine online, after perusing a wide selection of items while in flight.

The Good

• Rewards program
  • Payment options
  • Destinations
  • Fleet
  • Beverages
  • On-time percentage

There is a lot to like about Delta's SkyMiles rewards program. They claim to be one of the only airlines in the industry to not let its customers' frequent flier miles expire, which provides their regular customers with the potential for significant value over time. There are additional perks that come with being a SkyMiles member, including flight upgrades, vacation packages, and other amenities. There are no blackout dates for Delta's SkyMiles program.

Transparency is an important component of Delta's packages. Their travel insurance (offered through Allianz) is straightforward, easy-to-understand, and is perfect for nearly every passenger.

Another positive aspect of flying with Delta is that you are able to pay for a flight with sources of credit other than a credit card. Another payment option that could be used, for example, is Bill Me Later.

Delta has a wide array of destinations available for its clients. Their network of partners makes it easy for customers to get anywhere in the United States. In some states, it was also possible to get to smaller cities through some of their partners. For example, we found that Moab, UT (a popular tourist spot) has scheduled service with SkyWest and Delta.

Another thing that separates Delta from their competition is their fleet of planes. They have several Airbus and Boeing models in its wide-bodied fleet, which have Wi-Fi, LCD displays (as of 2012), and AC power for laptops (on some planes). Many of their narrow-bodied planes, mainly used for smaller connecting flights, also have Wi-Fi and other entertainment options available for customers.

There is a wide variety of beverages available on flights. Alcoholic beverages include wine, beer, and some other liquor varieties that vary in price based upon the flight. They also have an extensive meal service for its flights, and any flight over six hours has a complimentary meal. Also, all non-alcoholic beverages (including soda and coffee) are free.

A customer service experience with Delta is most likely to be positive. Their website is filled with information that potential fliers may ask. It is simple to contact them through their Domestic Flight Booking service number (800-221-1212), and ask specific questions about prices for purchasing a ticket. This is also a great place, along with their website, to get information about travel insurance.

As per Flightstats.com, Delta flights arrive on-time roughly 87% of the time. Compared to other top airlines, this is very competitive.

The Bad

• Baggage fees
  • Upgrade issues

Let's face it; airlines can have a lot of problems when it comes to baggage. The largest complaints with Delta seems to stem from their checked baggage fees. Some customers complained about the second checked baggage fee of $35. When some customers take a carry-on that should be checked, some customers became offended at the complimentary free baggage check after check-in.

Going overseas, some customers had issues with the economy upgrade perks to their ticket. When the economy comfort perks had been "overbooked," customers were issued a refund, but often complained at not getting the experience that they had originally paid for.

Overall, these complaints were to be expected when flying in general, and most customers were pleased with their Delta experience.

The Bottom Line

We have the utmost faith in recommending Delta as an airline. We really liked their outstanding reputation with customers. Another thing that is very positive is their SkyMiles rewards program. It's very rare to find an airline that doesn't let your frequent flier miles expire. However, with Delta, your coverage will vary. There are some changes between the SkyMiles 2015 plan and the 2014 plan and these depend upon the flight purchased and where your flight is going.

Delta is also environmentally friendly. In 2008, they started using a Pre-Kote, a surface treatment to prevent corrosion on its aircraft. Overall, we feel like Delta is on the cutting edge in terms of customer service and its SkyMiles Program.

89 Delta Airlines Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

September 22nd, 2017 Carpinteria, CA

I never have to pay for my first checked bag. This time I did because they assigned a different carrier who said they, "didn't have an agreement." While it was not explained to me, at any point, I could not check in online OR at the kiosk in the airport. I had to wait for 2 hours until Alaska Air opened their counter. This meant that I had no access to the executive lounge.

September 15th, 2017 Giddings, TX

Our bags were "delayed" for 48 hours. We couldn't get ahold of the local Delta office because they never answered our calls. Delta customer service "couldn't do anything" either, because apparently the only ones who had the power to get or bags to us were the people at the Atlanta airport (where oyr bags were stuck), and they were unreachable? I guess the baggage people are really hard to talk to, because hey don't have a radio someone can talk to them huh. So after 48 hours, we had to go again to the airport to get our bags. They were literally abandoned at the office, where NO ONE was working there (hence the unavailable phone calls), we took the bags and left. No surveillance, no one interested in getting our bags to us. Easily someone else could have taken them. Really pissed at this.

September 15th, 2017 Orlando, FL

Changed my mind & backspaced to cancel, flight still got charged, and now they won't give me the money back. Tired of these GREEDY airlines!

September 12th, 2017 New Albany, MS

Delta's lightning fast refund really surprised me! Hurricane Irma left a power outage at my destination the day before my scheduled flight. I submitted a request for refund on their website & got a typical automated email response. Then I tweeted! Within an hour my request was granted! Thank you @Delta.

September 12th, 2017

Delta #1367 on 9//17 determined to provided excellent customer service and did!

September 11th, 2017

At check-in Delta asked about 80euros just so we could sit together. This wasn't even a special seat. No just to sit next to my wife I had to pay another 80euros. Such practices are on the edge of fraude. Really said to see Delta doing this.

August 7th, 2017

Due to a road close from an automobile accident i was running a little behind schedule but I managed to make it to airport in time . When i arrived security was so kind to help me get through quickly so i wouldn't delay or miss my flight . When i arrived at the terminal the DELTA attendant informed me "we paged you , you sould have been here 30min before your flight ! " And would not let me on the flight! I was told by security they were informed i was here and i will make it in time . I had a severe allergy attack on my visit that required me to go to hospital for treatment. I spoke with my doctor and i was told to come to see him immediately when i returned. Due to this delay my condition has worsened & i will miss my doctors appointment. I am now forced to purchase another ticket , leave from another city arrive at a diffrent airport , and sit in a seat in between two other passengers,itching and extremely uncomfortable for 3hrs! & when I arrive i have no transportation for the 1hr drive back to my home at that time of night! I have attached a copy of hospital admittance, pictures of my allergy attack , & road closure from accident. Thank you delta for the excellent customer service !

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Delta is good when you can use the delta miles, but without the miles they are kind of expensive. Also, if you get tickets early on you can get good prices. Their planes are nice and clean, and customer service is always great.

June 12th, 2017 Elizabeth, NJ

So my girlfriend and I were taking a much needed vacation out of the country. Upon arriving at the airport over an hour early we were informed that our seats had been "given away". This had never happened to us before so we were confused and we couldn't get a straight answer as to why. So we needed up having to reschedule for later that day, the only good thing about this situation is the man who helped us rebook our flight, Santana, only charged us $200 each to rebook. When we called the hotline the woman at the desk gave us initially they quoted us $1,000 each to rebook which We could not afford. Anyways we decided to wait it out at the airport until our later flight left (11 hours later). It took us 15 mins to get through security and to our original gate. We watched the plane we were supposed to be on sit there for 45 mins. So we definitely could have made this flight. We missed a whole day of our vacation because of this incident. We were more confused than anything. We got different answers from like 5 different people as to why our seats were given away. I've spoked to someone from Delta via twitter messaging and I still have no resolve or a straight answer. Just a bunch of "sorry for your experience" BS. I won't be using Delta in the future.

June 11th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

My only complaint about Delta is the baggage fee and their prices are usually higher than other airlines.

June 11th, 2017 Orem, UT

i do not have a very great opinion of Delta Airlines, my flight was delayed and only a very few people were issued hotel or food coupons, either give them to everyone or none, running out is shabby

June 10th, 2017 Draper, UT

In my experience with Delta, flights seem to be on-time for the most part. Employees are helpful and considerate. Also, there are a good selection of movies and accommodations are decent on international flights.

June 10th, 2017

I have been flying Delta for years and have generally been pleased with their service. However, I am very disappointed that I now have to pay extra to get an assigned seat when I make my reservation. If I don't pay extra I have to wait until I get to the airport to get a seat assignment. This seems unnecessary since Delta has been doing it the other way for years. It is not customer friendly and I see it as just another way for them to make money (like charging for checked bags).

June 9th, 2017

My biggest complaint with Delta is their baggage and flight cancellation/change fees. And other airlines generally come in with lower airfare.

June 8th, 2017 Omaha, NE

I emailed #Delta with a customer service complaint regarding an employee at DTW airport. A service representative called me 2 days after I sent the complaint, very timely response on their part. He was helpful, and polite, he apologized for the way their employee in Detroit treated my family & promised to follow through with her. I am pleased with the way my complaint was handled & I will fly Delta again.

June 8th, 2017 Sandy, UT

No bad experiences. Just not my favorite airline to fly though. I do not like being charged for bags. More pricey than other airlines.

June 7th, 2017

We flew Delta to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise. They lost our luggage, but customer service was great! And they delivered our luggage at 3AM so we made it to the ship on time.

June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I've used Delta a few times, and I like them a little more than others. Their prices aren't always the cheapest, but I don't feel as cramped up in their seats as I do in other airlines. I think their entertainment is usually pretty good as well.

June 6th, 2017

I really enjoy flying Delta. Their service is very nice and very efficient. I would definitely refer friends

June 2nd, 2017 Provo, UT

Everyone is always supper happy help and you can tell that they actually care about service and their jobs.