Delta Airlines Logo

Delta Airlines

8.6

LAST UPDATED: September 10th, 2021

Delta Airlines is one of the largest American airlines and is headquartered at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. It has one of the largest network hubs in the world and flies to over 325 destinations in 64 different countries. What began as Huff Daland Dusters, a crop dusting service, later became Delta Air Services with passenger flights starting in June 1929.

2013 saw Delta become the world's largest airline in terms of scheduled passengers, and the second largest in terms of revenue passenger-kilometers.

The company has worked extensively to make sure that customers have perks on most (if not all) planes in its fleet.

Passengers in the wide-bodied Boeing 766 are guaranteed to have wireless Internet available. Other models of planes may have Wi-Fi, but this feature has to be added to some planes (especially the fleet of Airbus and smaller narrow-bodied models).

Delta Sky Magazine, which is published by MSP Communications offers customers a wide variety of items to be perused in-flight.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Delta reviews from real customers.

View Best Airlines

JetBlue Logo
#3 JetBlue chevron_right
American Airlines Logo
#4 American Airlines chevron_right
3.4

The Good

• Rewards Program
  • Payment Options
  • Lots of Destinations
  • Varied Fleet
  • In-Flight Food and Beverages
  • Customer Service
  • On-Time Flights

Rewards Program

There is a lot to like about Delta's SkyMiles rewards program. It is one of the only airlines in the industry to not let its customers' frequent flier miles expire. This perk for returning customers provides the potential for significant value over time.

Additional perks that come with being a SkyMiles member include flight upgrades, vacation packages, and other amenities.

There are no blackout dates for Delta's SkyMiles program.

Transparency is an important component of Delta's packages. Their travel insurance (offered through Allianz) is straightforward, easy-to-understand, and is perfect for nearly every passenger.

Payment Options

Another positive aspect of flying with Delta is that you are able to pay for a flight with sources of credit other than a credit card. Another payment option that could be used, for example, is Bill Me Later.

Lots of Destinations

Delta has a wide array of destinations available for its clients. Their network of partners makes it easy for customers to get anywhere in the United States.

In some states, it was also possible to get to smaller cities through some of their partners. For example, we found that Moab, UT (a popular tourist spot) has scheduled service with SkyWest and Delta.

Varied Fleet

Another thing that separates Delta from their competition is their fleet of planes. Several Airbus and Boeing models are used in its wide-bodied fleet, and come with Wi-Fi, LCD displays (as of 2012), and AC power for laptops (on some planes).

Many narrow-bodied planes, mainly used for smaller connecting flights, also have Wi-Fi and other entertainment options available for customers.

In-Flight Food and Beverages

The carrier has an extensive meal service for its flights, and any flight over six hours has a complimentary meal.

There is a wide variety of beverages available on flights. Alcoholic beverages include wine, beer, and some other liquor varieties that vary in price based upon the flight.

Also, all non-alcoholic beverages (including soda and coffee) are free.

A customer service experience with Delta is most likely to be positive. The website is filled with information that potential fliers may ask. It is simple to contact customer support via Domestic Flight Booking service number (800-221-1212), to ask specific questions about prices for purchasing a ticket. This is also a great place, along with their website, to get information about travel insurance.

On-Time Flights

As per Flightstats.com, Delta flights arrive on-time roughly 87% of the time. Compared to other top airlines, this is very competitive.

The Bad

• Baggage Fees
  • Upgrade Issues

Baggage Fees

Let's face it; airlines can have a lot of problems when it comes to baggage. The largest complaints with Delta seems to stem from checked baggage fees. Some customers complained about the second checked baggage fee of $35. When customers take a carry-on that should be checked, some became offended at the complimentary free baggage check after check-in.

Upgrade Issues

Going overseas, some customers had issues with the economy upgrade perks to their ticket. When the economy comfort perks had been "overbooked," customers were issued a refund, but often complained at not getting the experience that they had originally paid for.

Overall, these complaints were to be expected when flying in general, and most customers were pleased with their Delta experience.

The Bottom Line

We have the utmost faith in recommending Delta as an airline. We really liked the company's outstanding reputation with customers and the SkyMiles rewards program. It's very rare to find an airline that doesn't let your frequent flier miles expire. However, with Delta, your coverage will vary. There are some changes between the SkyMiles 2015 plan and the 2014 plan and these depend upon the flight purchased and where your flight is going.

Delta is also environmentally friendly. In 2008, they started using a Pre-Kote, a surface treatment to prevent corrosion on its aircraft.

Overall, we feel like Delta is on the cutting edge in terms of customer service and its SkyMiles Program.

View Best Airlines

Patrick L Sugrue Ooltewah, TN

We have flown Delta many times to different parts of the USA and for the most part the flights have been ok. Yes times have changed and planes are full and with discount fares, more people than ever are flying. We think they do a good job and understand it is a tough job. We've not been on a plane since COVID and won't fly for some time till things settle down. Our only complaint with Delta was their companion pet policy. Too many people are fudging their need for a companion pet exemption IMO because they are too cheap to pay for their dog to be shipped. The other thing we've experienced is large people and their body overhanging into our space. We've had that happen twice, one guys gut was so large, he couldn't put his tray tabled down and asked us if he could put his drink on my wife's tray table. He was a nice guy, but really??? He should have been required to pay for two seats. Our last few flights which were cross country we've flown first class and that service is exceptional. Yes you pay for it, but in our late years it is worth it for us.

Celia Pascoe Allentown, PA

Delta airlines seemed to be right on during Covid-19. Making people wear masks (which was a mandate) and then keeping empty seats between people. Many airlines did not do this because of loss in revenue. I commend Delta for keeping people safe above their profits. I also have found the staff easy to work with and when I called to ask questions I was able to get a customer service representative that I could understand who was professional and courteous. Thanks Delta!

DealStar Salt Lake City, UT

Having lived in a major hub for Delta Airlines for most of my years, I have flown a LOT with this airlines. I have had only two majorly disruptive experiences with Delta, one being the disconcerting time that someone inserted broken glass shards into my checked luggage, so when I arrived at my destination I had large glass shards in my clothing. The second incident was a strangely intrusive search of both my person and my luggage when I flew with a "one way" ticket to pick up an automobile I had purchased. Since I had no return ticket, I was suspect. This was shortly after the 9-11 attacks and is forgivable as such. Both of these incidents were at the hands of individuals, and as such, I don't blame Delta Airlines as a company. My fights have been consistently on time, and overall, I still prefer Delta to most other options. A couple of bad apples in the Delta bush don't deter me from flying with them. I still recommend Delta Airlines to my clients, friends, and family members, and they are still my #1 choice for domestic air travel.

Aly Wright Idaho Falls, ID

I recently travelled to Ohio using Delta Airlines. I was expecting to have a bit stressful experience as some other Airlines can be but not with Delta. My husband purchased our tickets without any hassle or any hidden fees. Delta really wants you to use your sky miles as they offer us to upgrade our seats with them. Their app is so easy to use. We were able to check in the day prior our flight avoiding having to get up earlier to stand in line to check in. The app also had our tickets so we didn't have to print them. Our flights were something I wasn't expecting. They were super clean, the staff was super nice, the flight itself both ways were smooth flights. My only tiny complain is that due to covid they no longer offer blankets and pillows. Aside from that little detail the flight was great.

Jodianna Maitland, FL

Delta is my favorite airline to fly with! The have a lot of great amenities and their service is always 5 stars. I like how in the beginning of covid, they were the only airline that took it seriously and did not sit passengers so close to each other.

Jayne Moore New York, NY

When I have something important - an important event, valuable cargo / luggage, to fly with my pet, or during the times of Covid, I choose Delta. I think they are the most diligent and responsible airline, their staff is all well trained and care about customer service. You just know what you are going to get with Delta, and I am rarely disappointed.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

I flew Delta Houston to LA. I was so excited to get such a great deal on my ticket. The seat was very roomy and the plane was very clean.

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

I have flown many a flights on Delta and have never really had any issues. The value of the flights have always been good and I have always found a flight that has met my needs. The staff has always been polite and helpful in every way. I recommend Delta for wherever you need to fly.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

I fly Delta more than any other airline because of the great prices and excellent service. The planes are always very clean and roomy and the staff is very friendly and helpful

Makayla Holland Gaithersburg, MD

I completely trust flying with delta, they have great flight attendants. They are very helpful and there system runs really well. However, they’re generally higher than other airlines.

Ryan Kenyon

Delta consistently provides safe, clean and on-time air travel. From their socially responsible corporate and employee relations policies, to their top-notch customer service and attentiveness to sanitation, they are a joy to fly.

Dee Mattapan, MA

Delta airlines is pretty cool. I usually end up flying Delta when I visit Atlanta, GA. The flight is comfortable for the most part, I really enjoy the snacks they give out. The flight attendants are pretty nice and the flight is comfortable. The only downside is some of the people who board the flight. I know there's really no way to control that but good lord! Lol

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

I love Delta. They are a super great company, they fly to many locations, and the flight attendants are super nice and friendly all the time. I have never had a bad experience with them. The only downside is that they are a pricier airline but it is well worth it. I have tried to save some money a few times by booking a different flight via another airline and regretted it every time.

Scott A. Johnson Orem, UT

I travel for business and have flown with many airlines. Delta is by far my top preference for flying because they tend to be on time and have few cancellations or other snafus that will disrupt your trip. Their staff is friendly. Reserved seating, especially for members of the Skymiles program is greatly appreciated. Snacks and drinks are good and improving. Planes are typically well maintained. They fly just about everywhere domestically and many international locations through their partner network. Their one drawback is that you pay for the better service. They tend to be more expensive than competitors for similar flights.

Monette Major Dallas, TX

Well, it was the very beginning of this Covid-19 crap. I was flying with co-workers to a training session, two of which were not happy to be flying. As we backed away from the terminal, a young man decided he did not want to be on that plane. He was perhaps, late 20 and was adamant about getting off the plane. The flight attendant did her best to reason with him. He wanted OFF! The plane was stopped, the pilot was told if the situation and we pulled back to the terminal. The young man proclaims he has chest pains... a paramedic and a security guard were brought on to the plane. They assesed him and removed him. The pilot adressed us all. Told us that for our safety, he wanted us all iff the plane along with our possessions. They did a full security sweep of the plane, cleared it and allowed us back on. In these trying times, our crew remained calm and level headed and were concerned with the safety if all! Good job!

Jen Paxman Lehi, UT

Delta Airlines is simply the best. From the seating room, to the on plane media options, to the flight options, to the customer service, you simply can't beat Delta. If you are willing to look, you can usually find Delta flight prices comparable to other airlines. Their flight attendants are always kind and attentive and great with my kids. Their customer service has always been great to work with and always willing to help, if they are able. Although they may be a little more than other airlines, it is worth it to me to pay a little bit more and have better connections and all of the other things that I have mentioned above.

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

For some reason whenever I fly on Delta I feel a little fancier than other airlines. The seating seems spacious and there is often a TV on the back of the seats. The flight attendants are always kind and they often serve biscoff cookies, which I love! It's also nice because when you earn points, they pretty much fly everywhere so you can earn points to go to some pretty amazing places. I do wish their points would go a little further than they do, but having so many options for locations to fly is super nice. Also, they are high quality, but still competitive on price, which I definitely appreciate.

Dale Ash Sandy, UT

I have used Delta almost exclusively for over 30 years. They go out of their way to be helpful to frequent fliers. I am a 2 million miler and lifetime Gold Medallion flyer. I like having the ability to reserve seating. No charges for our bags when my wife travels with me due to my frequent flyer status. We get early boarding privileges. They understand the value of frequent fliers and reward you accordingly. I wish they still had 25,000 round trips anywhere in the US anytime, but understand the need to change as they attracted so many frequent fliers. You can still get flights with low mileage commitments if you book early. Delta is always a great way to fly!

Susan Seasholtz Jacksonville, FL

From the reservation agents on the phone to the gate agents to the flight attendants to the pilots to the wheelchair assistants, A+. On a recent European trip, Delta handled flight problems and wheelchair assistance to be sure we had great seats and curb to aircraft wheelchair assistance for two travelers. The aircraft were well maintained and we were well fed. Not gourmet but good and plentiful. One Delta employee on one leg was a little grumpy but no big deal. I prefer Delta operated flights to Delta connection flights because they are more reliable, but I just haven't had the negative experiences people are posting. I had a girl try to take my seat but handled it myself.

Mike P Milwaukee, WI

I flew Delta 2-4 times a nearly every week for nearly 3 years and only had 3 late flights and no cancellations. I have flown the other guys, but never the same luck. Domestic, I cannot complain about the service, though they do have some older planes, at least on shorter routes. Internationally I have flown all the US major Airlines and Delta wins hands down. Multiple free meals in coach, free beer/wine/soda, your own bottle of water, etc. I was even re-booked on a Delta flight after another airline's flight was canceled to Europe and stuck in the back of the plane, but the flight crew and service was so amazing it didn't even matter. I should clarify that I had status at United, American and Delta at one point and no longer fly as regularly and lost all of my cool perks, but I still will pay extra for Delta because I know that I will get there on time, or if not know that their people will get me to where I need to go in a reasonable amount of time. I can't say that for United or American, even when I had status I was left stranded. Highly recommend Delta over any other US based airline.

Ishtar Oushana MD Palmdale, CA

My favorite airline. Love that they have direct fly to Costa Rica. Personnel are friendly and service is great. Never have been late and they have been awesome with my ESA Maltese dog. I recommended to all my relatives.

ang Milwaukee, WI

I recently flew with delta during the pandemic. I felt very safe on the flight. The staff was kind and helpful. I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of free shows offered in flight.

A L Whippany, NJ

I recently flew with Delta Airlines. My current concerns were social distancing and masks on the airplane and the airline did not disappoint. For the flights, the middle seats were all empty or I was only sitting with people I was flying with. This made me feel safer during my flight.

Amy Billings Smithfield, UT

My husband travels for work and always flies Delta. It is our airline of choice. Their planes are clean and they have the best customer service. When Covid ruined our travel plans, they gave us a full refund without us even having to put in a request. Their planes run on time.

AF ,

This is our go-to airline, mostly because they have a hub at our airport. However, we really do like Delta. They fly to all the cities we need to go to and have good customer service. Because my husband flies so often we have a status to get the bag free (don't like paying for bags). I know with covid they've started to make it easier to change your flight without fees.... I really hope that they keep that policy moving forward.

Wenona Thornton Plainfield, IL

It's so easy to reserve a flight online. It's a no brainier and after that all communication is done by email and that works for me. It's so simple to find all your answers in there site. The seating is comfortable. There staff on and off the plane are all very pleasant. Also you don't have to pay for every piece of luggage. They are my favorite airline.

Charlotte

Professional and courteous. I appreciate the organization and communication before boarding and during the flight. My experience during the flights have been calm and positive! I gave up flying United, even though my nearest airport is Newark, because of their horrible customer service at airport and in-flight. Delta is my new first choice in airlines!

Fran

I flew from Seatac to Phx,AZ and back 2 days later. Both flights were oversold and customers were asked to take later flights. We were also told that there was inadequate space on the plane for each passenger to place one bag in in the overhead bins. This caused me a lot of stress as I could not repack my medical supplies in my smaller bag and let them gate check my carryon. I was lucky enough to find a bin that wasn't full. The flight attendants and pilots appeared to be doing there jobs well and were as helpful as possible. On my first flight , it was indicated that the fruit & cheese platter was available but when I requested it in flight I was told that they had not been stocked and the only meals available on the plane were ones I could not eat due to allergies.

Monique Watervliet, NY

I am nervous about airplanes and i have never flown with Delta Airlines. I had to take four planes round trip for my vacation with Delta all four planes. All flights were smooth during take off, landing and up in the air. The staff were all so friendly and caring which made it easier to adjust and be comfortable. I appreciate Delta Airlines for getting me to/from my destination safely.

Nicole LeBaron Provo, UT

I used delta airlines when I went to school in Hawaii for college. I’m from a Chicago so the flight is about 8 hours without any layovers. My mom used delta for a couple of my flights and the plane ride was enjoyable! Comfy chairs, leg room, and tv for my long flights (all in economy). I was always entertained and the staff has always been nice to me. Highly recommend it!

Ruth Anne Bright Mount Washington, KY

My first trip on an airplane ever, was recently taken on Delta Airlines, Round trip out west. The trip out was smooth sailing with excellent service. The trip back was met with a lot of turbulence. The staff, acting very professional kept the passengers feeling comfortable and safe. My husband and I needed assistance both boarding and exiting the aircraft. The ground staff once again, very professional.

Anne Marie Milne Layton, UT

I love Delta's service. I only fly Delta. My parent's only fly Delta as well. They are the ones who got me hooked on Delta. The flight attendants are very kind, very sweet, and are willing to get you whatever you need to make your flight pleasant. They treat each customer the same regardless of their seat placement. I've gotten 3 friends to switch and they only fly Delta now. My mom has gotten over 50 colleagues to fly Delta as well.

Valerie Gundersen American Fork, UT

It had taken a long time to get to the airport on one occasion. There was a long line to check in at the Delta counter in Orlando. One representative could see my frustration at trying to use one of the kiosks. I told him that I had some delays getting to the airport and that I was so frustrated. He checked me in and took my bag right to the front of the line to make sure it got on the flight. Thank you Delta!

Becky Stiggins Provo, UT

I enjoy flying delta. I am a frequent flier with Delta and I greatly appreciate the quality service they provide. I always have lots of flight options, and because of my status with the airline, I have access to the exit row which provides additional leg room which is very important to me. Also, I have flown delta to both of my parent's funerals, and Delta has been extremely accommodating both times.

Lindsey American Fork, UT

I have flown with Delta on multiple occasions, and it is always a very pleasing experience. Customer service is prompt and helpful, the employees you interact with on the flight are always cheerful and kind, and the company really cares for their customers. One time, my flight was delayed 3-4 hours, and Delta had snacks and drinks available for those on the flight, and checked my bag for free. I will never fly another airline - just Delta!

nako Bismarck, ND

I don't believe I've had an issue with Delta in my nearly 10 years of flying with them. I have used other airlines in which Delta has them all beat. Their newer planes are very nice and relaxing and I really enjoy the fact that my miles will never expire. Even though the prices don't compare to discount airlines, they are usually the cheapest of their other higher end competitors and allow one free carry on bag aside from your personal item. All around quality airline.

Caitlin Bekker Salt Lake City, UT

I have been loving Delta more and more through the years. When I was about 8 years old the flight attendants took me to the cock pit to see all of the controls and meet the pilot, it was something I will never forget! Just recently I was on a flight to Amsterdam and feeling very sick due to pregnancy and the flight attendants were very kind and accommodating with the help I needed. I felt very well taken care of and the food was just right!

Lud Mushluck Houghton, MI

I fly Delta exclusively. Although 7-8 years ago they were dubious, now days the service is top shelf. You get the feeling from everyone in the organization that your business matters to them. I connect on regional jets to DTW or MSP. As is often the case there are "issues" with the regional jets. However, lately, the service associated with the delays caused by "issues" is extraordinary. Rebooking begins immediately, fees are waived, what ever they can do they do it. While you're waiting for your delayed flight they order in Subway sandwiches or McDonalds breakfast, or provide other snacks and beverages. Gone are the days when they treat you like a mushroom, if you know what I mean. I really enjoy flying Delta. probably shouldn't say that as it will jinx my next flight. But, I do. Good company and my hats off to the leadership in the company that really turned it around.

Thom Gretna, LA

I fly to L.A. a few times a year and have never had a problem with Delta. A few years ago I applied for the AmEx Gold Delta Skymiles card and was happy I did. I love the free first bag checked and the fact that I can board early. But, there is always a but. The ticket agents at the airport always give me a different answer as to whether I can check in through Sky Priority or through the non priority lane. On my last trip, when I got to the ticket agent, she told me that I could have gone through the Sky Priority lane because I have the gold card. That's not what I was told the prior trip. Ticket agents need to be "on board" with correct information about this. Not a big deal, just an observation. Other than that, all of my trips to L.A. or wherever I with Delta have always been nothing but positive!

Patti Deen Fayetteville, AR

DL has noticably improved in the customer service area the past few years. Their entire team seem to be more personable with passengers on the ground and in the air. They are directed to offer quick, efficient and good service. The in flight crew, you can tell, keep a smile even when some passengers are irritating us all. Keep going strong DL- you have my support and miles. P,S. I love the AMEX Delta Skymiles card for the points I earn.

seanth57 Columbus, GA

My flight was on time and the service was excellent, onboard service was one of my best of my long history of flying.

[email protected] American Fork, UT

I have flown with Delta Airlines in the United States and on international flights. I love the promptness of their service people if I have a question that I need a quick response for. I have been using their Delta Credit card to acquire frequent flyer miles. Their program is very flexible and I have enjoyed business class, ecomony comfort and basic economy seats. The cabins are clean and comfortable. The stewardess are happy and quick to assist you with any problem. Only once did I have to stay overnight due to a mechanical problem. I was reimbursed with money pluse extra frequent flier miles added to my account. I have never had any luggage lost when I have traveled internationally to numerous countries. I always look at Delta Airlines first whenever I need to fly somewhere. I have had great success with getting the most for my money with Delta!

Irinna Danielson Riverton, UT

I love Delta Airlines! The best thing is the inflight entertainment. You don't have to worry about Wifi or having certain apps. the entertainment is built into the experience to keep my kids entertained with movies and games. And, I love that there are charging stations at each seat to charge our devices. It's the little things that make a company and I think the customer service and experience on Delta is top notch, especially when you're traveling with a family. We love to fly Delta with our kids, especially on their non-stop flights when you can take advantage of all the awesome in flight entertainment options.

Steve Anderson Lindon, UT

Of the airlines in America, I am a true Delta fan. They've treated me well. They are reliable and have given me some great perks. On several occasions, the stewardesses on my flights have gone the extra mile to make my flight a totally great experience. I like this airline enough that I signed up for a Delta Master Card and have been earning frequent flier miles for several years now. They have paid for my wife and I to fly to Israel, Italy, China and next, some place in Europe. The only thing I don't like about Delta is that they have no leg space in their economy section. I have long legs and flying is painful, but I find that is the case in most other airlines as well.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

Delta has been a "go to" airline for me for many years. When I lived in Utah with SLC as a hub I rode them almost exclusively. Having their Amex card is a must for free luggage and points.

Julia Howe Logan, UT

I have flown with delta many times. During this pandemic I had to travel with delta they were very good a separating everyone. They also had snacks ready for us. Everytime I have been on one of their flight the take-off and landing are amazing. I would definitely recommend people to fly with delta.

Brooklyn Bishop Idaho Falls, ID

Delta is my absolute favorite airline. I always recommend to others cause the costumer service is amazing! The crew is always willing to help, and give the best quality flights. I absolutely love Delta!

Christopher Whiting Los Angeles, CA

This is my go-to airline, its dependable, and has great service. It's not the cheapest always but you know you are going to have a good experience. It helps that we live by a delta hub and can get direct flights almost anywhere in the US.

Danny Greeson Atlanta, GA

Delta is by far my favorite airline. They are seldom late and always treat me well. I've been a medallion member and membership really has its advantages. I always feel safe - that their equipment is well maintained, and that their pilots are the best.

Patricia Miller Preston, ID

We flew on Delta about a month ago to Orlando. Our trip was fantastic with great service. The crew was friendly and went out of their way to help us. Their smiling faces and upbeat attitudes really helped make a late night flight more bearable!