British Airways Logo

British Airways

Is This Your Business?

6.4

LAST UPDATED: September 9th, 2020
British Airways is a full service global airline and the largest international carrier in the United Kingdom. In fact, the home base at London Hearthrow, is the world’s busiest international airport. They fly to more than 170 destinations in 70 countries carrying over 40 million customers each year; they have approximately 40,000 employees—15,000 cabin crew, 3,600 pilots and 5,500 engineers—and nearly 300 aircraft in their fleet, which is made up of Airbus, Boeing and Embraer planes. British Airlines celebrated their 90th anniversary on August 25, 2009. This large, historically significant company can trace its origins back to the very beginning of civil aviation in 1919.

Delta Airlines Logo
#2 Delta Airlines chevron_right
JetBlue Logo
#3 JetBlue chevron_right

The Good

• In-flight services
  • Travel insurance
  • Help with cancellations
  • Frequent flyer program
One exciting thing about flying with British Airways is the list of amenities they offer with each and every flight. All passengers have access to in-flight entertainment systems, with differing system options dependent upon flight class. Entertainment options include, but are not limited to movies, music and games. Additionally, each flight, no matter how short, includes a free snack or meal and bar service. With locally sourced ingredients from trusted suppliers, passengers can really look forward to the enjoyment of a fresh, satisfying dining experience. Options from the full bar service include award winning wines and champagnes, a variety of spirits, non-alcoholic drinks, coffee and tea. Depending on the length of the flight, passengers traveling over breakfast, lunch or dinner can enjoy a three-course meal. Light meals are also available if desired, and mid-flight snacks are offered to quench any hunger that may creep up between mealtimes. Receive peace of mind with the purchase of travel insurance provided through Preferential Direct. With options for coverage on single trips and annual multi-trip policies, customers are sure to find a comprehensive policy that can be tailored to fit their specific needs at a highly competitive price. The two main packages are Value and Deluxe, but there are options for specific needs such as sports cover, golf cover and wedding cover. Detailed quotations, including all policy coverages and exact pricing, can be obtained through British Airways' website. -Value packages include coverage up to nearly $4,400 (4,000 EUR) on cancellations and nearly $825 (750 EUR) on personal property. Coverage is unavailable for pre-existing medical conditions. -Deluxe packages include coverage up to nearly $10,100 (10,000 EUR) on cancellations and nearly $2,200 (2,000 EUR) on personal property. Screening is available for pre-existing medical conditions. Of course airline initiated flight cancellations are something passengers hope to avoid entirely. Still, if there ever is a cancellation in your travels it's nice to know the airline has a policy in place to offer assistance. At British Airways, passengers experiencing a flight cancellation are able to rebook their flight for a later date at no extra charge, or cancel booking entirely and claim a refund. If booking includes a hotel, a rental car, a transfer or an experience in conjunction with a cancelled flight, then passengers may proceed with one of the following options: -For no charge, rebook to travel within a 14-day period after the scheduled departure time of the original flight. This is done on a like to like basis -Rebook to travel 15 days or more after the scheduled departure time of the original flight. No fees will be charged; however, any difference in the price of the hotel, rental car, transfer or experience will be paid by the passenger or refunded to the passenger. -Cancel entire booking and claim a refund to be received in the form of the original payment. British Airways offers a free frequent flyer program referred to as The Executive Club. Members collect Avios, the reward currency of the Club, on each flight with British Airways or any of their one world partners, plus a variety of hotel, credit card, car rental and shopping partners, which vary by location. Avios can be traded in for a range of benefits, some of which include reward flights and cabin upgrades.

The Bad

• On-time percentage
Punctuality is one of the most important aspects of a good airline. So the fact that British Airlines was on-time with only 79% success isn't very assuring. With 9% of flights being late, 4% being very late, 9% being excessive late and 1% being cancelled altogether, passengers need not be completely surprised to find their flight running a bit behind schedule.

The Bottom Line

British Airways is an impressive airline. They have been around for many years and have taken the time to incorporate features and amenities passengers appreciate. Competitively priced airline tickets, including Hand Baggage Only fares, a wide list of amenities, options for travel insurance, and a free-to-join rewards program-there's no reason to believe a flight with British Airlines would be anything but enjoyable and hassle-free.

Hannah Pleasant Grove, UT

Oh my goodness. We had SUCH a good experience with British Airways. We flew to London with our 6-month-old and I was a nervous wreck about it. However, our flight turned out being so nice! We flew Traveler Plus, which was a great value for more space and comfort, and I love BA for offering that happy medium between Economy and First Class. Secondly, the flight attendants were angels. They were so attentive and kind. We were comfortable and well taken care of for the 9-hour flight. Thank you!

spiros tolias Dundalk, MD

Very Nice Company They Take Care of You! Heathrow Top Airport for Shopping!!! They are always on Time! We had a Delay once in Athens because of Airport Strikes , and Lost our Plane from Heathrow to Baltimore! but they took Care of Us for our Overstay in London with Extra Dinners and Luxury Hotel 5 Stars !!! I Love BA, Spiros , The Greek!

Janan Grange Pleasant Grove, UT

We have a flight to Paris this summer with British Airlines. I have actually flown about 6 times with them. I have always been happy with their service and even when we were traveling with a large group, they were able to sit most of us together. We received an email a few months ago letting us know our flight has been changed for this summer. They have been good with always communicating changes and issues.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have flow British Airways when I lived in Europe, usually from Spain to London and it was like stepping into luxury. Very comfortable accomodations, great food, ontime service, and great customer service. They are a little higher priced but well worth it.

Shaylee Provo, UT

I used british airways when traveling in Europe. Super nice because the tickets are oftentimes cheaper than taking the trains and you get to your destination quicker. The planes are smaller just because of the service they offer but they are not bad. Very efficient.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

I flew on an economy fare for British Airways and you have to pay extra for checked baggage. When we checked in, they offered us a really low price if we would check our baggage because it was a full flight. It was very easy and the desk agent was very kind. The actual flight was comfortable and the flight attendants were courteous and professional.

Steve Jones Riverton, UT

I love flying with British Airways. They are trustworthy, and their pilots and staff are well trained and wonderful. I've had a great experience each time I have flown with them. Highly recommended!

Rathan Kumar Boulder, CO

I have traveled with British airways an extended amount of time over the past 15 years. They have always handled things well and provided a great service when flights are delayed. They are my go to choice for travel to Europe and Asia.

Dwhoush Slidell, LA

With the few times I have flown on British, each flight has been very good. The staff is very polite and will go out of their way to assist you or make you comfortable. The airplanes have always been clean.

Roberson Salt Lake City, UT

I flew on British Airways on a flight from NYC to London. Flight left on time and service was better than expected. As planes go, there could be a substantial amount of room added between seats. However if your looking for a tip, always book the bulk head seats for more leg room.

Tom Gourley Pleasant Grove, UT

I think British Airways seems to really take customer service seriously. When I flew with them they made me feel welcome on the plane and made me feel like they really were concerned with my comfort and safety. The plane was clean and comfortable and the meal service onboard was great.

Shauna Smith Austin, TX

Just flew British Airways from Austin to London. Excellent custom service by all staff. Food served was very good. Humorous/thoughtful safety feature review. Quick easy baggage pick up.

Kenneth Okerlund Orem, UT

While my time in the UK was brief, I had consistent service with British Airways and was always given great customer service both on the airplane as well as at the airport.

Jen N Jim Brown Salt Lake City, UT

I flew British airways from Doha to London it was a great flight no complaints. The flight attendants we kind and accommodating, the plane was clean, comfortable and had good features.

Cim Carver Cheyenne, WY

I’ve had good experiences with BA. They are a high quality airline. I have had more than one instance of employees who weren’t as helpful or friendly, but that’s about my only non-positive experience.

Amanda Montebello, CA

I flew British Airways on a trip to Italy this past year. I was most impressed the extremely affordable price of the trip and service provided by the airline.

Cambria Blair Phoenix, AZ

They found out that it was our 20th anniversary and upgraded us to business class for the flight. It was such a wonderful treat. Would highly recommend this airlines.

Nicole Gilbert, AZ

On my flight from Phoenix to Heathrow, the flight attendants were extremely accomodating and helped me along the way as I had never flown international before.

Mhorne182 Eagle Mountain, UT

My experience with British airways has not been great. Our flight from London to NYC, the plane looked like it had not been updated in 20 years. Our shorter flight from London to Copenhagen, we were constantly being sold something. It felt like a flying flea market. Have not had a good experience on BA.

Zac Cannon Gulfport, MS

I flew on British Airways when I was younger and it was one of my first experiences flying, ever. Comfortable flight and the attendants were great!

Tracy Womack Cedar City, UT

I loved my flight with British Airways. They have some of the best prices out there and the planes are always very clean!

Eric Smith Riverton, UT

Too many issues trying to get refunds through Covid and countries putting travel restrictions and in the end they still charged a fee for a refund, unbelievable.

Yolanda Briganti Riverton, UT

The time I flew British Airways in 2014, the food was really good. The flight crew was very professional.

Tori smith Mesa, AZ

They have super good customer service and make each person comfortable for the flight

SkylarPickens Gulfport, MS

It was a great flight! The service was amazing and the prices for the tickets were a great price! Highly recommend

Madison Scott Pleasant Grove, UT

We loved our experience with British Airways. The flight was on time. The food was good. And the long flight across the seas was comfortable. We were very happy.

Walter W Domingo Redwood City, CA

Great service - we treated very well, the accommodations were great

Lacey Horne Eagle Mountain, UT

Good reliable company. Comfortable seating, TVs that worked, and kind service. I would use them again!

Cole Colombo La Verne, CA

Great customer service, great flight entertainment, and amazing snacks. What more could you want.

Sage Robertson Cedar City, UT

I love British Airways. They have great customer service and even better prices.

Mazi Marcel Womack Cedar City, UT

Great airline. I will never fly with a different one again. Great services and plane.

Cam McClellan Magna, UT

The Delta of Europe. British Airways is an awesome airline with on time flight and great service.

Marty Trabuco Canyon, CA

Seats too close together, no leg room, cushions too narrow.