American Airlines Logo

American Airlines

Is This Your Business?

5.7

M MP Darby, PA

Flight attendants are ok. Some are super friendly and a few in my experience not so much. AA is expensive for flights. The beverages and snacks are ok cookies and cup of your choice of beverages.

Azrienne Tallahassee, FL

AA is my first choice with flying. The flight attendants are always so nice and i love how much space there is, even in the main cabin for decent prices.

Joe Araki

Very stressful, loss a lot of sleep, never go through DFW lost my baggage. Evidently, DFW is noted for lost baggage. I even saw over 25 suitcases just sitting on tarmac. American is also noted for cancellation especially direct flights and forcing to catch connecting flights. Not good when you are relying on a tight business schedule. They really need to be penalized for this change. Because of the impact cost for all the rest of travel arrangements. Otherwise, travel insurance may be required for their changes. So this may be my last trip. I just cannot afford this lost of time and energy.

Joseph

I am a Platinum elite member. That said, I am disappointed in our airline's low, national ranking. Our flight attendants and customer service customer-facing teams MUST be better!

Rhonda Abbott

Usually really good. Most flights I arrive to my destination early. Most of the time the flight staff is really accommodating and friendly. I have had a couple nasty preboarding employees.

Anita Long Beach, MS

American airlines is ok. If you have a disability be sure to call ahead and make a plan - ESPECIALLY if you have a layover. Regardless of your disability, be prepared for a wheelchair ride. American Airlines does not care if your disability does not require a wheelchair.

Ray Desimone Trenton, NJ

After boarding plane were asked to get off stating fuel door issue. After the 2 hour delay we take off and miss our connecting flight in miami by 15 minutes to aruba where vaca is planned. We then book the flight for next morning and figure well stay in miami for the day and overnight. We find out our luggage is getting held for next days flight or we can wait 2 to 8 hours in airport until they find it. Then, they give us a free night at the miami airport hotel which was for lack of a better term, horrendous (rather than in our paid for hotel in aruba). They were nice enough to give us food vouchers for $12 per person in total. Considering we had wait 20 hours this was the final slap in the face and didnt eve cover breakfast. I understand problems, delays etc but the way they handle this situation is nothing but corporate greed and no regard for customer service.

Renata Sarasota, FL

It all started with a flight from Miami to Brazil. Eleven of us traveled to see my grandparents that are in the end of their lives.I called a week earlier to request gluten free meals for my family of 4. In the plane, the flight attendants were littery rude! Not only to us but to everyone. Practically throwing the food on the tables. No manners at all. In my case, they lost my gluten free meal so, I was went hungry! My kids and my husband said the food was awful! On the way back, the same thing happened, those people must hate their Job! Marcus, one of the flight attendants was the worst. They treated my disabled father like a junk. He explained he pain extra for a more comfortable seat. They did not care!! At dinner time, the meal tasted awful, for breakfast, everyone was given a cold turkey sandwich. 3 people from my family had bowel complications right after eating it. The 4 of us that received gluten free meals, got the worse eggs we ever tasted. How can you mess up scrambled eggs?Our children were starving!! Do not fly with them!! You will regret it!!

Scott San Jose, CA

My girlfriend had a flight to San Diego but needed to get off at the connection in PHX. When she got to the gate, Ivana was very rude and forced her to check her 1 of 2 allowable carry-on bags. She would not even let me explain the situation and kept saying "you can check your bag or stay home". When we asked for information on the process to retrieve the bag she said "you'll have to figure it out." If a representative from AA is reading this and cares about the public image of your company, I highly recommend forwarding this review to the leadership of the SJC airport branch for AA to investigate the performance of Ivana, the gate employee assigned to flight AA2105.

Quiana Paige Virginia Beach, VA

I would actually like to give it 0 stars. please think twice before booking American Airlines for your travel needs, especially out of Philadelphia Airport. On Monday 8/19/19 we had a flight that was suppose to depart at 10pm. Around 8pm (2 hours prior) we already received the first delay. This went on several times until 4:15am when they finally had us board the flight. Once boarded it was announced that it was now cancelled. My husband and I were traveling internationally with our 10 & 7 year old kids who were sleep and exhausted. I don’t understand why they didn’t just cancel it earlier...felt strung along not knowing what’s going on from 8pm to 4:30am. If you ask them they just kept saying “mechanical issue.” If they had made a decision earlier instead of holding us all night we could have had more options for switching and rebooking the flight. So at 4:30 am we have no idea how we are getting to LHR and the worst part was the aftermath....Dealing with AA’s ticket agents and customer service was terrible. Not only to us but to others on that flight. No comfort, no apologies, no care. Just pure rude like it was our fault. No one went above and beyond to assist us with our issue. We were talked down to and in front of our children. I mentioned to one woman that “you have no idea what we have been through this evening so maybe a kinder tone would help.” As we try to explain what happened they reply “ we already know your situation!” Eye Rolling, argumentive, “this is all we can do,” dismissive attitudes while stuck in airport. Getting the hotel vouchers we were told “well you can try but they will probably make you check out at 11am.” They showed that they didn’t care at all what we went though and it was not there problem. To them it happens all the time, but they should be trained to have a more understanding attitude to customers going though stuff like this. Our flight was rebooked through AA over the phone since no one at airport had a care. Marriot at the airport is where we slept and showered an waited for our rebooked flight which left 8/20/19 at 7:30pm (which also had a delay). Marriott staff were the only kind ones we dealt with. What was really crazy is we don’t even know how we got on AA. This flight was booked through Expedia and was for British Airways....British Air is who charged are card but we show up and we are actually with American who “services” British Air 🤷🏽‍♀️ Although our trip was FABTABULOUS!! The start was unnecessarily a nightmare! I have contacted them and sent email and hoping they will offer something for that mess they made.

J Garcia Cedar Park, TX

I flew with American Airlines with my nana on the 1st of August for a trip to Europe to spend with a dear family friend and others. The flight itself was wonderful, smooth takeoff and landing, friendly staff and a wonderful selection of food. I was very happy with my flight overall. However upon landing in Germany we discovered our luggage had been left in the states. After letting one of the staff know this we were told it’d be only 1 or 2 days before our luggage would be delivered to the location we were staying at. It was a full week before my nana got her luggage back and TWO MORE DAYS before I received mine, despite us both coming from the exact same place to the exact same place. We discovered that apparently our luggage was transported to France, where they discovered our location was closer to Germany so they sent it BACK to the states and THEN to Germany, instead of double checking which one would be closer they wasted time sending it back and forth. My allergy medication was in my luggage and I wound up getting sick for a few days without them. During the time we didn’t have our luggage we contacted customer support multiple times and weren’t told anything, our emails went unresponded to and our calls wouldn’t be picked up. Despite an overall wonderful flight, due to this HORRENDOUS mismanagement of our luggage I will never be flying with American Airlines ever again. Other airlines might have less comfortable seats or a more mediocre selection of in flight entertainment but none of them ever lost my luggage for over a week.

Grace Cole Brighton, MI

NEVER AGAIN!!! I booked a family trip originally on December 3 for our family of 7 with an infant to Portland Maine out of Detroit, Mi. It was schedule to leave out of Detroit at 6:10 am with a short layover in Charlotte, NC and arrive in Portland 12:06 pm. Not bad, 6 hours and we would have been to our destination. Early in 2019 American Airlines informs me that they had randomly re-booked our trip to some ridiculous 12-14 hour journey with 6 plus hour lay overs. I spent an hour or so on the phone with a representative to re-book new flights for all of us that made more sense. Our first flight was delayed due to Maintenance issues that caused us to have to re-book because of a missed connection in Chicago. We now had to fly from Chicago to Philidelphia and then to Portland. The flight out of Chicago, was also delayed due to maintenance issues which caused us to miss our connection to Phildelphia on flight. We had to rebook again to a later flight which put us in Portland Maine finally at around 11 pm. contacted American Airlines about my complaint and wanted to give me 100 dollar voucher with no apology!!! Honestly $100 voucher is not worth the risk of giving American Airlines another opportunity.

Hodges Bala, PA

Arrived at Denver Airport 1 1/2 hours prior to 5:24 am departure. Stood inline for nearly 55 minutes at self service checkin. AA counter was moving people from the back of the line to the front of the line in order to keep them from missing their 5:00 AM flight (this caused us to have to run to our gate missing any chance of getting food before boarding). We were sitting near the back of the plane, by the time the service cart got to us, they had one sandwich and two fruit trays left. My son and I originally wanted a sandwich each. He pulled out the sandwich and the fruit trays. I said I would take one of both. The flight attendant from the front of the plane came up and asked for the two fruit trays, my flight attendant literally gave her both. His explanation was the “front of the plane” has priority over the back of the plane. This is absolutely unacceptable. I sent a note to AA and have been ignored. Bottom Line, if AA think they are a doing a good job, they are not. I will continue to tell people my experience and steer them away from flying American Airlines!

Marion Park on Nash Street Marion, IA

Delays and Lies. We travel as a couple and would like to sit together. I went online to choose seats together since our original seat assignments were separated. I noticed that for an additional fee you could sit up front (not first class) and receive free drinks, beer and wine, along with extra leg room. Since my husband has trouble with a knee injury and long, long legs, I opted to pay $338 extra to have both the drinks and leg room for all 4 legs of our trip. Our first flight from Cedar Rapids to Dallas Ft. Worth was on time. Upon boarding we realized there was no more leg room in our seats than any of the 20 or so rows behind us. Also, no wine or beer was offered. Now, the flight from Dallas Ft. Worth to Jamaica was delayed mechanically by 6 hours. After we finally boarded a plane, they had a “rain delay” because they still had to put gas in the plane. Imagine? Then the plane backed away from the jetway and then immediately haulted. Why? Oh, because they forgot the luggage. So, here come the luggage carts. 4 people to load the luggage. Great, we are almost on our way. Nope. The scanner doesn’t work. So, we wait for them to round up another scanner. You know they have to scan each piece of luggage as it goes onto the plane. Now, of the 3 people there to load the luggage. The one lady is loading the luggage. The three men are busy chatting, like old hens. Okay, so we get to Jamaica at 8:30 pm instead of 1:30 pm. Only ruined one whole day. Still no leg room, no wine, no beer. Our return from Jamaica was delayed a couple of hours. Didn’t sound too bad. That flight again, no wine, no beer, no leg room. This time we get to Charlotte late and the connecting flight has already departed. American Airlines rebooked us on the first flight home the next morning. They gave us a room at a local hotel. They gave us $12 for food. What? How is that supposed to buy a dinner and a breakfast? Next morning the flight was on time. No leg room, no wine, no beer. For timeliness AA is 0 for 2. For kept promises they are 0 for 2. I contacted AA for a refund of the $338. They have me half my money back. No explanation as to why that figure was fair. Another flight from Seattle to my connection in Dallas Ft. Worth was delayed for 8 hours because someone accidentally deployed the chute. You know the one used in case of a water landing or other accident where people slide down the chute/slide to get out of the plane? Yes, that was out of the airplane and I guess they can’t just poke it back in. We had to wait for American to find then fly another plane to Seattle. Then we had to wait for a flight crew. We got to DFW 8 hours late and again missed our connection. Since there was something happening in my hometown the next week, they couldn’t book our return flight for 2 more days. We asked American to fly us to Omaha and we could drive from there. AA booked us. When I contacted AA for a refund they gave a $300 voucher with an expiration date which wouldn’t pay for a trip anywhere. Useless. They wouldn’t reimburse for car rental either. I rate American as the worst ever. If you have to fly American please add on a few days for delays on each end of your trip just per chance they are running late, again.

Hiywete Mulugeta Lanham, MD

If I could give this Airline company No Stars I would. I have flown with AA twice in the last 18 mths and both times my luggage has been misplace. The first time I was luckily on my way home from miami so the impact was minimal. However the second time was when I was on my way to a cruise from Ronald Regan Airport to Miami international. I had to go on my cruise with no luggage and to add insult to injury I spent almost 14 hours in total during my vacation just sitting on hold trying to speak to someone so that I could know the whereabouts of my luggage. I was unable to attend multiple events on the cruise due to my lack of attire which absolutely ruined my vacation which I planned year in advance. I am back home and no one has reached out to me regarding my lost luggage. I think the worst part about this airline is there lack of responsiveness. I filed a complaint with customer relations I have also filed a claim for the details of my belongings and I have yet to receive a call or an email from anyone. When I speak to a representative they are quick to pass me along to the next person. They have no empathy nor do they have the proper customer service training that would of made this experience a little more bearable. American Airlines is right up there with Spirit and Frontier... ONE OF THE WORST AIRLINES I HAVE HAD TO ENCOUNTER. Do not fly with them if you can avoid it, and if you can’t do not check your bag. Make sure you bring it as a carry on.

Angel Figueroa Crowley, TX

AMERICAN AIRLINE TREAT THE DISABLE PEOPLES WRONG.. THE NOT GIVE A OOPS ABOUT THE FAMILIES OF DISABLE PEOPLES... I HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH THIS COMPANY..TRAVEL FROM MADRID TO DALLAS....THEY THINK THEY CAN DO WHAT EVER THEY WANT WITH THE FAMILY MEMBER OF DISABLE PEOPLES SPECIAL IF YOU ARE A VETERAN WITH NEED. THEY CUSTOMER SERVICES IS BAD...ABUSE OF AUTHORITY..ABUSE OF CUSTOMER WITH DISABILITIES .

Tim H Houston, TX

This is the worst airline around these days. Flew from Cozumel to DFW yesterday and it was a disaster. The cabin crew's give a darn meter was running on empty. I asked for a water on the first pass of the beverage cart. I was ignored and decided to just wait it out. DFW is a befitting hub for this crummy airline. The intake at customs was over an hour, causing me to miss a connecting flight. No one was around at AA to provide any assistance. I final found one station which was manned by 2 persons on the 7 work stations. The line was around the block. Finally called and got new flight; however, the AA app would not let me check in, nor have an online boarding pass. Back to the lines. While I did not have any time to catch a meal or a drink due to the ineptitude of AA, at least I finally made it to Houston near midnight. Will never fly this disaster airline again.

Nicole Salem, OR

We were set to leave PDX 6/23/19 at 10:30 pm. All the passengers were on the plane. Then we all got emails our flight was canceled. The flight attendents said they hadn't heard anything about it being canceled as we were all on the plane. Few minutes later. They tell us its canceled and tell us to all get off the plane. It was canceled because of "pilot fatigue". We go to baggage claims and get our bags then wait in line for an hour and are told they have no more flights for that night, the next day or the next day. So they had a plane of stranded fliers. They refused to pay for peoples hotels. They said well you can pay for it and submit your receipts and maybe get a refund. We had zero help. We have zero apologies. This flight was a connecting flight for us, we couldn't get the hotel we paid for in the Bahamas. So we lost a good chunk of money. We didn't get a hotel paid for. We were stuck there. We were told by the customer service staff at the airport that they don't do anything basically so we shouldn't wait in line and we need to call the online help number which was a 1.5 hr wait to talk with anyone. We had to cancel our flight because theres no point getting the Bahamas Thursday and leaving Friday. They completely ruined our vacation and basically lost us a bunch of money. I sent in a complaint online, havent heard anything. I called and spoke with a supervisor who said thing were handled terribly but she couldn't do anything and I would have to wait for the online email complaint thing which is up to 5 days. This was my only chance for a vacation and we were completely screwed over financially and got no vacation. Don't fly American Airlines if you want to get to where you need to be. If you want to spend money on a vacation that you'll never go on then American Airlines can help waste all your money for you and maybe even leave you stranded for days with no hotel or anything. Don't fly American Airlines, save yourself the trouble.

Michelle Greensboro, NC

I will never use this airline again I will take my money elsewhere My flight was delayed in Phoenix with a connecting flight in Charlotte - the majority of the passengers had a connecting flight and we were told that it was nothing they can do because they were no other flights - after landing in Charlotte we were all literally running through the airport so we won’t miss our connecting flight when I got to the gate with 5 min to spare the lady shut the door in my face — they were no other flights and they only provided a voucher for a hotel stay and nothing else but the hotel wanted us to hold $100 on our car for the short time we were there — I never received this treatment from other airlines

Ali

I have never had such an awful experience like i did with AA. The first was delayed with was fine at first but then it kept getting delayed for 2 hours! They said it was an oil change. BS! I missed my only flight back home for the next two days.. and NO ONE OFFERED ME ANYTHING!! i was lucky to have known someone nearby or I would have been stuck at the airport. They almost didn't help me get another flight because I was poor and couldn't afford anything other than basic economy. Tried to contact the company via phone but they were always busy. No one was ANY HELP! until one guy helped me get some standby tickets. He was helpful don't remember the name though. And I eventually got home but I had to stay TWO extra days.. missed work, had to pay for food and gas that I really didn't had money for and no one has still contacted me about compensation.... I will NEVER fly with them again...also their planes were quite dirty..

AMH Miami, FL

I am very upset with American Airlines. I never knew the meaning of the basic economy flight until now. Being a medical student on student loans and limited flexibility, I tried to change my flight to a cheaper one after my schedule changed last minute. They REFUSED to help me, even though this was the first request I have ever had like this. Very frustrated. Their customer service is lacking empathy. I want everyone to know that they should use other airlines that understand their consumers and situational needs. I have also had to wait at least an hour on multiple occasion to get my check luggage and I have never once complained.

Olivea Georgetown, KY

Short version: Stranded in STT airport for 48 hours by American Airlines due to hydraulic leak, and passengers left to their own devices to find a way home. Detailed version follows. STT gate agents partially boarded the plane for American Airlines flight 1195 on 5/22/19, but then interrupted boarding and announced that there was a mechanical problem that should take 25 minutes to an hour to fix. They deplaned the previously boarded passengers. We waited a couple of hours and were then told to board the plane again. After boarding, we were held on the plane for what seemed like an hour. The pilot came on the speaker to tell us that there had been a hydraulic leak, and that a patch had been applied by the mechanics. My seat was over the wing at the window, and I could see the copilot standing in front of the wing watching while the pilot tested out the patch while we were all seated on the plane. I could hear various noises as parts of the plane were enabled and tested. All of a sudden, the copilot made a frantic gesture moving his hands across his throat (the "cut it" signal), to tell the pilot to shut down everything and stop testing the hydraulic patch. Shortly after that, the pilot came on the speaker to tell us the hydraulic patch had blown, and hydraulic fluid was all over the ground. To me, it seems terribly unsafe that all the passengers were on board the plane while this hydraulic patch was being tested. What if a fire had accidentally started? Why wasn't the hydraulic patch tested before passengers were boarded onto the plane? AA staff held us at the airport until 9pm on 5/22 when they finally started distributing hotel vouchers to a run-down, musty-smelling hotel called Windward Passage. We were "lucky" to have finished eating our voucher dinner at the hotel by 11pm; most passengers were eating at midnight. Before leaving the airport for the hotel, the AA staff had told us they would be working all night to fix the plane, and to come back for an 8AM flight the next day (5/23). While eating dinner at the hotel, one of the hotel security guards passing through the restaurant informed us that our flight had been delayed until 2pm the next day (5/23). We naively took this as a sign that American Airlines had diagnosed the problem, and had some idea of when it would actually be fixed. However, before we checked out of the hotel the following day (5/23), we found out the flight was delayed again until 6pm. I immediately called the AA booking phone number to inquire about getting on another flight. I spoke for over an hour with an agent and her manager. The manager claimed that there were no seats available on any flights departing from STT that day, even on other airlines such as Delta. She said if I could book myself on another airline, she would refund me $200 (which was much less than I paid for my AA ticket). Thus, we were stuck waiting to see if the defunct plane had actually been fixed. We passed customs and security for the second day on 5/23, and sat in the airport all day, watching other American passengers arrive on a different working plane, and fly off to Charlotte, which was our destination. But they would not allow us to board the working plane, though we had been waiting 24 hours. We were stranded since we were "assigned to" the broken plane. The gate agents told us they had no information about when the plane would be fixed. They were waiting for information "from above". Dozens of people asked emphatically to speak with Mark N, whom we were told by the AA staff was the STT manager. The AA clerks radioed him over and over, but he stayed outside on the tarmac (we could see him walking past the windows) so that no one could speak with him. Some passengers had run out of medication, and others with dietary restrictions like myself (Celiac disease) were feeling faint from a lack of gluten free food. Finally, at 7pm, they began handing out hotel vouchers again, and released us again from the airport. They gave us no information about when our cancelled flight would be rescheduled. We spent another night in the musty, dirty hotel, and ate another dinner there with vouchers. At this point, we felt really desperate as we were approaching 48 hours of delay with no end in sight. We called the AA booking phone number and were passed around for 3 hours talking to various agents, who said they could not transfer us to a Delta flight that showed seats available online because technically it was overbooked, and Delta wouldn't allow us transfer to an overbooked flight. Finally, we were passed to a manager who listened to our whole nightmarish saga, and tried to put us back on the same defunct plane for the next day. I explained that the AA app showed that flight as "diverted." Finally, he understood that the plane was out of service, and he put us on hold. When he came back he said he found two "reserved" seats on an AA flight to Philadelphia. I asked him why these seats were reserved and not available to the public. He said they were "operations" seats that were reserved for situations like this. I wondered aloud why I wasn't offered these seats earlier that morning when I was on the phone with a booking manager - it could have saved me a full 24 hours of delay!!! Anyway, my husband and I were so desperate, we didn't cause a fuss, but just immediately accepted the proffered tickets. We then went back to the airport on 5/24/19, and passed through customs and security for the third day in a row. We got on the flight to Philadelphia, and then waited 4 hours for a connection to our hometown. We made it home at midnight on 5/24/19, which is 48 hours after our original scheduled arrival time. Due to the 48 hour delay, our pets were held at the kennel 2 days past when we were supposed to pick them up. We incurred extra fees for the kennel, as well as airport parking, and my husband wasted 2 extra "vacation" days spent all day in an airport. I suffered 2 migraine headaches, feeling of faintness due to lack of gluten free food in the airport with my Celiac disease, and had a painful, enlarged lymph node that showed up on the night we arrived home. I'm hoping it's due to stress, but I will have to go to the doctor for diagnosis. American Airlines has offered me two $175 vouchers for my nightmare trip, which I have declined since I will NEVER fly with them again.

Jack Russell Kennebunk, ME

As I am writing this I am sitting in LAX American airlines has been the low point of my family's trip. My flight to LAX was delayed, and we had to race to get to our connecting flight back to Boston. Even though they had radioed to let the gate know we where on the way they would not let us board or hold the gate for even a minute even though it was thier fault we were late. When we went to customer service we where informed they could get us on another airline, but only if we where advantage status customers. Because we where just regular customers we would not be able to fly out until the morning. The 2 girls at the customer service area ar LAX had the personality of soulless automatons. The experience flying with American has been hot garbage from the lack of just commonly decent politeness to the barrage of ads and flyers handed out by the flight crew to sign up for thier credit card. Needless to say my next flight will not be with this airline, as they are so fond of reminding me during this trip I do have a choice in airlines.

Mehri Virginia Beach, VA

Our flight got cancelled due to technical problem, we were booked to a stop flights which first flight was delayed so you whould arrive 30 minutes after your connection had left but they didn't care and have us a boarding pass to fool us. By looking at monitors we realized what was going on, one more time we got to long line of customer services and after a long wait, we were booked to a over night flight to arrive next day. Meanwhile I was checking available flight on Google and there was a United leaving soon but they took so long and by misguiding us it was too late to make to the gate for boarding. There was plenty flights with Delta available but they said they have no access to that which I don't believe it They just wanted to fill up their own flights. They never offer any voucher for food or drink and I was told to open a claim on line and they whould reimburse me for expenses during 10 hours wait, I just got an email telling me they can't do that but they give me some stupid AA points which serve for nothing. Useless company.

Claudia Mendez Miami, FL

I recently took a flight from Havana, Cuba to Miami, US on 3/03, flight #AA2696. I am very disappointed with this airline. I paid much money for a ticket to Cuba, for having better flight, and result in the worst experience that I had had when I returned from Havana, Cuba. The flight was delayed 4 hours, we had to leave at 9:00 pm, and did it at 1:00 am. All that time I did not receive any information about the flight. Finally on the plane, I never NEVER received inflight service, not even a bottle of water was able to give, after being 4 hours waiting and without receiving an explanation. The situation is outrageous. I will never recommend this airline again.

Kim Sells Celina, TN

In Chicago IL. At O'Hare airport American Airline was the rudest and most hateful bunch of people I've had the pleasure to meet at the security check point entering the airport!! First the lady checking our Id with our boarding pass seemed very irritated to even have to look up at you. Next my 70 yr old Mother was yelled at and blowed at by security because she didn't know what to do!! As I put our belongings in our basket to be sec. checked a lady grabbed a bin and slammed it againest mine. (an American Airlines employee). I have never felt so belittled & less than, than I was treated by Security at American Airlines! ! I am a Nurse and I deal with sick people, people who feel bad, and their families. You would think someone healthy able to work at an airport, dealing with people daily, would be friendly, smile, or anything besides making a paying customer feel like she aggrivated you for just doing Your Job!!!! Shame on you Americsn Airline for allowing your employees to treat your customers like this!!

Chava Bluh Ithaca, NY

My husband and I were flying to our tropical honeymoon. Our flight was supposed to leave at 5:38 AM so we had to be the airport by 3:30 for international flight. Our flight was extremely delayed and we missed our connection to our destination. They tried to reroute us however every time the flight got delayed and we missed every connection. Sitting on the tarmac for over 5 1/2 hours waiting for the plane to be fixed. Finally after it was fixed we got to Charlotte where they directed us to Miami and then to our destination. However we were supposed to arrive at 3 o’clock we didn’t arrive until well after midnight. we missed a complete day at our resort and I was out a lot of money. The next few days we tried to recuperate we were on able to experience any of the excursions we had planned. Upon my arrival back home to the states I contacted American Airlines where they have the following to say “ we apologize for this inconvenience however we will give you $100 credit each for this inconvenience please note they do expire within a year”. My husband and I almost never travel and we blew all her vacation time to do this trip with one another. I am beside myself with regret and anger towards this airlines and the fact that they would not help me beyond this hundred dollar credit voucher. My husband and I almost never travel and we blew all her vacation time to do this trip with one another. I am beside myself with regret and anger towards this airlines and the fact that they would not help me beyond this $100 credit voucher. It would’ve been better if these would never expire since in 2019 we cannot take anymore time off. They should’ve put us on a different flight to begin with or had a top priority to get the flight fixed. Bawling your eyes out in a row of people you don’t know because your honeymoon just went down in flames is humiliating. Go to American Airlines I think you are making me look like an idiot making me ruin my time off for 2019 and giving me the worst honeymoon I can ever imagine.

Lawrence Foster Scottsdale, AZ

I flew to Rome from NYC on a 777, my first 777. it was the most luxurious, quiet, and roomy plane I have flown on. and that was what I needed on a 9 hour flight to Rome.

Victor Lilburn, GA

This is a SATAN airline! I booked their ticket from StudentUniverse from Atlanta to Saigon with 2 stops in Dallas and Japan. The day of depart when I come to the airport to check in at the counter they told me "You will check in again in Japan and must take a bus from Narita airport to Haneda airport by yourself" . They mean when I get in Japan I need to take my baggage back and carry it to the bus from Narita airport to Haneda airport by the bus and all things I need to do by myself in a strange country where I don't speak their language! And how to carry 2 pieces of baggage almost 100 pounds with that far? That the way American Airline treats their customer. I can not understand how they can make a travel terrible like that. How the service is so terribly bad. It's suckly. And their employees at the airport are so rude and impolite. I cancelled the flights and lost $1,200 . Thanks to your trash service AA. I write this review just want to let people know about the terrible bad service of American Airline and AVOID this SATAN Airline. Doesn't get any worse than this. Stay away! My lesson to tell everybody don't go with American Airline to keep yourself safe! I will not ever book any ticket from American Airline anymore in my life until the day I die! SATAN! The airline from Hell.

Isabel Lexington, MA

My husband, my 3 year old, my 18 month old baby and I were flying out of Boston to Lima, Peru with a layover in Miami. Our layover was over 3 hours long. The flight was scheduled to depart at 6 pm from Boston. First they told us the flight was 1 hour late. Then they told us will be later since the plane from Philadelphia was taking longer to depart because of the weather in Philadelphia. Eventually the plane arrived but they said there were no crew members available for the flight. When I went to the gate to explain about our connecting flight. The agent decided to reschedule the flight without consulting with me. They decided to reschedule the flight leaving the next day late afternoon after 6 pm with a layover through Dallas. I told them I have a toddler and an infant with me. I can’t stay here overnight with my 2 kids. They said they didn’t want to fly us to Miami since they didn’t want to pay for a hotel in Miami and then told us there were no hotels available in Boston so we couldn’t get a hotel in Boston. They offered us absolutely Nothing while we stayed overnight at the Boston airport. I had to beg a passing mom for some extra diapers for my kids, we had to wait until everything opened to purchase milk for our kids at the airport. American Airlines agents felt no compassion for parents travelling with a toddler and an infant and were so rude to us when we tried to find alternatives to depart Boston to take our first flight to Miami or use a different airline. I begged them to check different airlines but they disregarded our plea and their attitude became ruder if we asked for any other alternatives rejecting everything. We didn’t have the car seats so couldn’t take a taxi from the airport either. Eventually after spending a whole day at the airport at Boston with my toddler and infant, we arrived the next day to Lima, Peru on Saturday instead of Friday morning which was our original arrival date. Our luggage didn’t arrive with us. They didn’t reroute the 4 luggages that we checked in. When we complained to baggage services they told us the luggage will arrive the next day on Sunday Morning and told us that the luggage were in Miami. They told us we would get them the next day in the Morning on Sunday. So at that time we just purchased some of our basic essentials we needed including diapers, wipes, lotions and special formula for our kids. At that time we didn’t even think of getting reimbursed of what we bought since we were told luggage will arrive the next day and we were mainly concerned of getting all the supplies we needed for our kids after the bad nights they spent at the airport for the delayed flights. Then the next day luggage didn’t arrive. We were getting concerned at that point and kept calling the airline since we had another flight leaving Monday Morning from Lima to Cusco, where we planned to spend a week before returning back to Lima. We spent so much time calling them and they kept telling us they are still trying to find the luggage and they couldn’t get a hold of Miami baggage services. So many flights were leaving from Miami to Lima and our luggage were not included in any of those flights. We were without our kids prescription medications and lotions and they developed severe rashes. We left to Cusco without our luggage and purchased some random things that we don’t even know if we can find the receipts in between all our hectic days trying to manage without our belongings. Eventually luggage arrived on Tuesday afternoon to Lima, while we were already in Cusco. Throughout these days all we could get from customer services is to fill a questionnaire and forms while we were on our vacation before they can help us to locate our luggage. We were told they would help us to locate the luggage if we fill those online questionaire. Who has time to do all of that while in a foreign country with 2 kids. They showed lack of compassion and were so rude telling us that after the questionnaire it is at their discretion what they will reimburse us for their mistakes. Of course they require that we find all receipts. Keeping receipts is something you shouldn’t have to worry in addition to managing being in a foreign country for over 3 days without luggage and basic necessities for our kids. Since they blame the delay of the original plane arrival to Boston due to bad weather in Philadelphia, they won’t claim any responsibility for the flight delay. I am sure if their crew members are sick due to the weather, they will also claim weather related issues to avoid taking any responsibility for their mismanagement of our flights and crew members. Their customer service has declined substantially and this is also reflected by the mismanagement of their flights and crew members scheduled in those flights. The greedy attitude that crew members and the airline shows to maximize profit and reduce expenses with disregard of the customers being affected while mistakes are made is so evident in this case and in the hundred of negative reviews that can be found online for American Airlines. Only a parent, grandparent, uncle or aunt would understand that leaving a toddler and infant stranded at an airport overnight is inhumane. The only positive outcome from this experience is the random individuals who we encountered who offered us a couple of diapers at the airport or lend us random pieces of clothes like socks, shoes when my feet started blistering for not wearing appropriate broken in shoes for our hike in Cusco.

Arianna Boston, MA

American Airlines is the MOST INEFFICIENT and DISRESPECTFUL airline out there. They are ALWAYS late, and today they got to my limit by canceling my first flight at 3pm for NO REASON AT ALL, they also expected me to get on a different flight to Boston vía FLORIDA. After I discussed for 20 minutes with a very disrespectful customer service assistant she proceeded to give me a ticket to a flight straight to Boston 3 hours later (keep in mind she said several times it wasn’t possible to fly straight to Boston today, disregarding the fact that I paid 700$ in order to fly STARIGHT WITH NO STOPS). The 6pm flight got cancelled after many hours of delay and now they won’t give me my carry on bag which they made me check back, and lithe cherry on top is that they expect me to leave tomorrow to philly and on Tuesday to Boston. Of course I am expected to pay for the hotel because that is the American Airlines way! Do yourself a favor and stay away from this so called airline.

Vanessa Silver City, NM

I have recently flown AA round trip to Japan. On all segments of the flight my husband and I never were seated together although we were booked together. You had to pay minimum an extra $40 for assigned seating. Those weren't cheap tickets to start with. Throughout the trip we had the chance to witness and talk to a number of couples who were experiencing the same thing. One case was so obvious. Where there were 3 seats, an American couple was split by a Japanese girl who was sitting in the middle. They asked her if she wanted to sit by the window and managed to travel side by side. In the automated check in stalls at the airport it was rather irritating how AA kept requesting whether we wanted to upgrade class, seating, food etc. That is so low class behavior. I personally am not looking forward to traveling AA again.

cynthia R Brixius Vail, AZ

No carry on bags. Too long to board and to deplane while everyone is trying to stuff bags in overhead bins charge for carry on give free bag to checked baggage

Amber M Santa Monica, CA

This was the worst travel experience I've ever had. I missed my connection in Philadelphia due to a maintenance issue on the plane. I landed at 8:52pm and was told by customer service in Philadelphia the next flight out was not until the next morning at almost 9:00am. I was looking at a 12 hour layover so obviously I wanted to stay in a hotel. I was told I would have to pay out of pocket by customer service. I had to argue for a while that it wasn't my fault the connection was missed and that I shouldn't have to pay out of pocket for the hotel. After the customer service agent agreed to give me a free hotel stay she said all of the vouchers were already given out. She then told me I could purchase my own and I would be reimbursed. There is a hotel attached to the Philadelphia airport and their cheapest room was $313. After taxes and fees it came out to $364. Since I was told I was getting a reimbursement I didn't think it mattered how much I paid. At that point I purchased my own hotel and the next day e-mailed American Airlines for my reimbursement. An agent e-mailed me the next day telling me I would not be getting a refund. After arguing my case over e-mail and the phone I was then told I would be getting $120 back. I have been trying for days to get the rest of the reimbursement but have been told multiple times the maximum reimbursement for hotel stays are $120. It doesn't seem to matter that I was told I would be getting a full reimbursement. The fact that they are willing to lose business over $244 is so crazy to me. This is the worst customer service I have experienced and I will not be giving them my business or recommending them to anyone anymore.

Ming Gao Granger, IN

I purchased the tickets on 5/30/2018 and used the first half of the tickets on 7/23/2018 via flight AA288. Both dates were well before when AA announced the cancellation of direct flights between Chicago and Shanghai starting in October. AA provides two options: 1) Arranging a two-stop flight from Chicago -> Dallas ->Shanghai -> Harbin (my original purchase was a direct flight from Chicago – Shanghai, then to Harbin), however, this is not at all equivalent to the direct flight from Chicago to Shanghai that I paid for. I paid a much higher price for non-stop international flight simply to make the trips much easier for my parents who are over 70 years old. So this option is totally none-equivalent. 2) AA only provided me $459.38USD refund per passenger, while I purchased the round trip tickets at $1218.41 per passenger. In fact, this refund is not even enough to purchase a one-stop AA flight ($558) from Chicago-Dallas-Shanghai where I cut my final destination of Harbin. The flights’ numbers are exactly the same as in option 1 provided by AA: AA1625 and AA127. Another trip from Chicago-Dallas-Beijing-Harbin which has the same date and time and very comparable trip itinerary with AA provided in option 1 sell the ticket at $673 per passenger. Those prices are provided by google-flight which should be the lowest prices. Based on those prices, it looks like AA provides less than 68% of the original sale value to refund their customers. I contacted AA Passenger Refunds who explained that the refund is based on mileage and fare availability at the time of purchasing, and refused to provide more refund. I accepted the refunds at the time (because I have to), though I didn’t agree with his explanation. It is AA who canceled the flight, not the customer. I bought round-trip tickets 4 months ago; the reason to buy the one-way tickets now is AA’s cancelation of flight. Why you refund me based on the value at the time of purchasing? Additionally, a round-trip value is always cheaper than the value of two one-way trip tickets (especially for international trips); AA should especially take care of customers who already used part of a round-trip ticket of an international trip. Since it is AA’s one side decision to cancel the flight, AA should take full responsibility to make up any loss (money and convenience) that may cause to their customers.

Byron Caldwell Norfolk, VA

So, here is why AA is a horrible airline that will never receive another penny from me! We flew my mother in law from Honduras to Virginia, with a connection in MIA. We did everything needed to request her wheel chair service in advance as well as provide an emergency contact number. She checks in, gets wheel chair service to her aircraft. She departs and arrives in Miami for her 2 hour and 34 minute layover. They take her off the plane and to her next gate. Here's where you start to completely fail. There is a gate change and nobody does anything to get the handicap person to her new gate. No, instead, you realize this flight is overbooked and this is an easy "bump" to make room. I'll get to the proof of that statement shortly. She realizes after much time she's not leaving MIA on her scheduled flight. Traveling from another country, she has no cell phone to notify anyone. She became upset and crying. Did anyone step in yet? Not American Airlines! Luckily, a passenger say her upset and offered her cell phone for her to make a call. When she got us on the phone, we immediately started calling to find out what happened. The agent on the phone tells us she missed her connecting flight and was rescheduled for the next morning. When asked how or why, we were told she was at a call center and could only ready what was on the screen? Really, that's your customer service? Ok, move on as we now have an issue at hand. We call the courteous traveler back while she is still nearby so we can talk again and try to calm down my mother in law. Starting to ponder if we should start a 16 hour drive, we call another number to American Airlines, I believe at the MIA airport. This person tells us not to worry, they will get her into a hotel as well as transportation to and from. Ok, so now move on to finding out if the bags would arrive on the original flight. This is where the proof comes in that she was purposely bumped to another flight. American could not tell us if the bags were on the original flight or not. We go to the airport and check baggage claim for the original flight. Bags arrive? NO, which tells us they were scheduled for the next day as well. This shows American Airlines had no intention to put her on her scheduled flight because the bags were not transferred to that plane. So, now, where did they take her and is she ok? After all, she is handicap and not able to get around. She came from a foreign country, with no American cash in hand to buy anything. Finally, we track down what hotel they were going to take her to and assured everything would be fine. Then, finally at 3:30am, we are able to speak to my mother in law again. They had literally just put her in a hotel .... AND WITH 3 TOTAL STRANGERS!! Are you kidding me?? Then, have the audacity to tell her she is being picked up at 4:30am in time for her new flight. She is put in this hotel with her carry on, 2 fifty pound checked bags, and her purse. When her shuttle arrives an hour later to take her back to the airport, she is offered no assistance with bags. Now, a handicap person who had wheelchair access requested must now carry 2 fifty pound suitcases, a carry on, and her purse. Again, luck struck as another passenger sees the struggle and starts to help. And lucky for that passenger because the new flight had a gate change as well. Which, now we know, American does nothing to assist with and just let you miss your flight. If anyone could possibly rationalize this into any form of being acceptable, I'd love to hear it! Again, American Airlines will never see another penny from us. I hope dearly they get what they deserve and go bankrupt!! You people are pathetic to say the least.

adrian irish Rutland, VT

Had an asthma attack as I exited the lavatory. I went to the nearest attendant who had the refreshment cart. I tapped her on the shoulder and said I can't breathe. She never looked up and told me to sit down, which I did. She did not look up until the passengers started shouting, he's turning gray, he can't breathe. She got an oxygen tank and that didn't work, the oxygen mask from the overhead was pulled down as was found to be inoperable. At this point a RN (passenger) took over and kept me alive. We landed and I was transported to a hospital for 5 days. My wife had to pay for her own ticket home in addition the the original that was purchased.

Eric Denver, CO

I just wanted to post this because I just got off the phone with American Airlines customer service. My flight cost right under $500 roundtrip with American Airlines. I had to change my flight to the week before due to schedule changes. They charged me $200 just to change some logistics. Also, they charged me the difference of what the flights were (which I was expecting). So, American Airlines charged me over $250 just to change my flight. I would understand this charge if the flight I was switching to was also completely booked or close to booked, but it has the same availability of when I booked it two months ago. I will never in my life fly again with AA because Southwest would have done this easy change for free. It is a shame American Airlines uses the word American with their company because charging someone $800 for a roundtrip in American is the most un-American thing I have ever heard. If you are planning any trip in advance, which almost every does, do not use AA because they do not care one bit about their customers.

Nana Asiata Herriman, UT

Me and my family have only flew American Airlines once, but it was a great one. The staff there was very nice and welcoming to everyone that stepped into their doors.

Diane Lawson Brooklyn, NY

They over booked people and when tour flight is canceled they don't care what your circumstances are I've list pat I can't afford I was in trouble with my job almost got 5 days suspension they should try to have a little consideration then they rebook you to places you can get home from it's too much

Denise Spicewood, TX

Barely adequate but customer service at the gate and on the flights is sorely lacking; they don't project an image of truly caring about their customers. They all seem like they hate their jobs and they take it out on the passengers.

Hyrum Sandy, UT

Long flights are quite uncomfortable. I find it nearly impossible to find a comfortable position to fall asleep on their normal sized jets. The little plane that took me on the last leg of my flight was actually much more comfortable than the big jet.

Marina Korogoda

I've had issues with American before and vowed I would never fly them again. After over 2 years, I decided to give them one more chance. That chance was undeserved. They disappointed me yet again. I used points to buy a first class flight to splurge while on vacation. I chose a specific 6:30 to 11 am flight since I was meeting my family in Tampa and we were renting a car together. I received no communication about the flight and decided to call in at 4:30 am to check in. It was at that time that I found out my flight had been cancelled and rescheduled to 10:30 am. Apparently the flight crew needed rest. I called into reservations and was told that my convenient morning flight has been changed to a 10:30 to 8:30 pm flight. The worst part is that the agent made it seem like they were doing me a favor. I told her the new flight didn't work. I was then downgraded to regular class on an earlier flight with no option of getting refunded. I asked the woman on the phone to double check there was no first class seats available on the 6 am flight. Of course I later came to found out seats were available but the agent was too lazy to check. Everything has to be done online after the fact with no guarantee of resolution. I tried to contact American once i came home but they didn't even try to fix their complete lack of customer service. There was no real attempt to remedy the situation, the people are not friendly and the savings are not worth the hassle. My return flight went without a glitch. Unfortunately, based on this experience and previous experiences, I just wont be flying with American anymore.

Teri

I wish #AmericanAirlines would provide cultural sensitivity training for their crew members. In Charlotte, NC, a passenger asked the stewardess (ginger hair with glasses who sat on the crew Row 9 window seat) if a woman carrying a baby wearing a hijab was Muslim. The stewardess replied, "Yes, just my luck to have Muslims on my flight." Such unprofessional, bigoted behavior in a service position is totally unacceptable. I was horrified as I am sure the Muslim lady heard the exchange. I'm writing a letter of complaint. That statement was totally uncalled for. Shame on her for such uncouth, bad manners.

Courtney Lund Portland, OR

American Airlines last week refused to cancel our flight, just kept changing our gate number and telling us different things. Some employees were saying there were no crews to load luggage or fly, some were telling us to not get in line for customer service because our flight was going to start boarding as soon as they finished cleaning the plane, so don't book a new flight, and some said there wouldn't be any flights that night. It took five hours by the time AA actually cancelled our flight, and by then all hotels were full in the area from all the cancelled flights. We rebooked on a different airlines, and AA said we could pick up our luggage in baggage claim. So we left the secure area of the airport to go stand in a long line of angry AA customers trying to get luggage. There we were informed our luggage already left on a flight. How? No planes had left. And can airlines do that? Send our luggage without us? So we had to call customer service. We were told our bags would arrive in Portland and be put in a secure area until we arrived the next day. So no hotel and now no luggage. We couldn't get back through security until it opened at 330am. We were traveling with a 2 year old. Fun times in the airport. The next day I tried tracking our luggage online and it said it was enroute to Portland. Weird. It was enroute 12 hours ago... talked to a real person who said our luggage left our current airport an hour ago. So we were lied to the night before. Our luggage was in the airport with us, but they hadn't wanted to give it to everyone. We could have had a change of clothes and toothbrushes! American Airlines, you fail at taking care of your customers. Poor weather happens, but you did not deal with it well.

Kelly Shannon Saint Louis, MO

First leg of flight unable to deplane due to lateness of previous flight. Crew did not allow for people with connections to get off cirst. Ran through terminals to be told at gate we could not get on because the door was closed. Actualky wayched luggave being loaded and planne sat 10 more minutes. Put on next flight and was stuck on plane for 4 hours before being taken back to gate because other airport closed? At this point I was given a room and 12 dollar food voucher.and put on fligbt the next day. 12 dollars? Every flight way over booked. By the time all was said and done, I lost a whole day, pribably 100. Extra expense. Azked for my extra day of parking to be paid and was told no. It was not just me. Hundreds of us on this day. Never agai. AMERICAN Airlines.

GG Reid

American Airlines cancelled our flight to Spain because of a minor mechanical issue. They delayed the cancellation after delaying the flight 3 times and by that time there were no other flights. We had to go home and leave 24 hours later. We lost $$$$ on reservations in Europe, we lost 2 days of dream vacation, and we didn't get business class seats we used over 500,000 to get. My husband is very tall and doesn't fit in coach seats. His ankles swelled from being upright all night, and he had trouble walking the entire vacation. It impacted the whole trip in a negative way because of AA's actions. To date there has not been monetary compensation or a return of ANY miles!

Doyal Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

I would say American is a choice I make when their prices are better than other airlines. While they are not the worst, they are certainly not the best. I feel like they pack passengers in like sardines, and offer the driest snacks possible. The last time I rode American, someone next to me ate the smelliest food ever. While I can't really blame the company for the atrocity that was happening next to me, it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

Joseph RonPaul Elster Rogers, AR

In 2016 we had a fiasco with AA with multiple canceled and redirected flight which ended up with our luggage in one city, and us in another. We had to drive 2 hours to retrieve it so we could continue to our next destination. After fighting with AA for several months, they issued us a voucher for our next flight. In 2017, we used that voucher in January to book a May 20 flight to NYC. On may 16 I downloaded their app to have boarding passes ready and noticed the seat assignments had changed. Instead of row 13 together with my wife, we were in 21 & 22 middle... opposite sides of the aisle. And return flight went from row 13 together (PAID PREFERRED) to row 24 together. Contacted AA to resolve the situation, and they informed me they sent MULTIPLE emails... none of which I received. Verified the 2 email addresses they had were still valid and when I asked why they sent 'multiple' the response was 'because you didnt respond'. On May 10, I received a flight change notice for another flight I have this year.... there is nothing in that email indicating a response is required. So to remedy this situation, all American had to do, was to place my wife & I in empty seats in row 16, and waive the $40 fee for those seats. They however refused to to this, requiring instead that we pay the fee. For the back side, they told us to rebook preferred and then we could request a REFUND of the fee we already paid. Bottom line, they screwed up, they moved us randomly and the correction lies on the consumer.... all over a $40 extra fee. After 45 minutes on the phone with no luck, and several tweets and messages.... no change. I then reached out to the travel agent who booked our European vacation, but NOT this leg of the trip. She called AA, and within 30 minutes had us in row 17, without additional fees, on either leg. Why these airlines seem to think it is ok to screw over their customers, is beyond me. A simple - I'm sorry about the inconvenience, let me put you in the seat and waive the fee.... and there was NO ISSUE. Instead, HOURS wasted because of their inability to effectively manage travel.

Brittany Goodwin Camden, NJ

Do not use this airline. They do not care about their AAdvantage members or loyal customers. Their customer service department is rude and will hang up on you. They will be useless if you need anything resolved and won't refund you or give you an e-voucher even if it's 100% reasonable. I booked a flight for a guest and myself. The guest had to suddenly cancel TWO MONTHS before the flight. They wouldn't refund me or even give me an e-voucher...but they did give my guest an e-voucher even though they didn't pay a penny. After I tried to book my guest's cancelled seat I found out the price of the seat was doubled so on top of being rude they're profiting 3x as much as they should. Terrible customer service. Corporate scum. Fly Southwest instead!