American Airlines Logo

American Airlines

Is This Your Business?

5.6

Anony Mous

Ground service personnel at the airport were fantastic checking bags, checking in and providing boarding pass. I have leg problems and they helped PMP onto the plane first. And they got me where I intended to go. The web site was very easy and helpful..

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

We flew on American Airlines when we were going to Europe and we flew with our child and they were so accommodating for such a long flight with a small child. They checked in on us to make sure we had everything we needed and were very comforting when our child was having a hard time.

Carrie Torres Tulsa, OK

They did a great job with both hospitality and on time arrivals and departures! Travel from Middle USA to Hawaii, perfect. On the way home I took different airlines, not so hot, not at ALL. Service and timelines ranks #1 and I travel a LOT! Fly American Airlines!

Cher Leesburg, VA

The customer service at American Airline is one to the best. Of any airline I have had to deal with for customer service, American Airline is the best by far. On two separate occasions, we got friendly customer service representatives and they were able to solve my problem with out any conflict. Thank you American Airline for making flying easier.

Mukund Mohan Los Angeles, CA

The service staff at American Airlines are awesome! Besides their primary objective of safety, they are compassionate and empathetic to our needs. On a recent flight from Charlotte to Las Vegas, we had just heard the shocking news of the loss of my father's wife. I mentioned this to "Joy", the lead stewardess while boarding the flight. Joy was at my wife's side through out the flight to console and comfort to the best of her abilities! I will recommend American Airlines any day!

Daniel Boston, MA

With the merger complete the service is very unbalanced. You can see the difference in the former USAirways employees- they are more likely to just go through the motions rather than focus on passenger safety and service. It was painfully evident this past week. I only travel first class on domestic flights-paid, not upgrades. My first leg was BOS-LAX - morning flight, legacy AA operated. We were greeted with not just water bottles at our seat, but three times the FA came through with orange juice and coffee pre-poured. She also offered something stronger if one desired. Throughout the entire flight he was attentive without being bothersome. He also made small talk with passengers (who were not buried in their laptop, tablet or the entertainment offerings.) Upon our arrival at LAX and waiting for a gate to clear he came through with bottled water again. My second and third legs were not as great. LAX to PHX there were no water bottles at your seat upon arrival. I asked for one and was greeted with this is a short flight and lightly booked so they were not doing pre-departure beverage service. Whatever. Former USAirways crew and a bird still waiting to be painted. It is a short flight and it was early afternoon - so whilst no meal service the beverage and munchies service was labored at best. The final leg was PHX to BOS - a 10h10 departure. We had a small delay and the gate agent was excellent in providing updates. As we were boarding the in aircraft announcement was basically to hurry up, we are already late." Late because of the airline. Not those of us boarding. This flight did offer water pre-departure - not at each seat - but via tray, the FA did welcome each passenger plane individually. The inflight meal (lunch) was served very quickly after cruising altitude was achieved. I did ask if I could hold off on service for another hour, and was told certainly- with the dig alerting me that she could not be responsible for the entree after being reheated. Upon arrival the FA making all the cabin announcements thanked us for flying USAirways, quickly correcting themselves to American.

Benjamin Lopez Arlington, TX

In as much as possible, I, always, use American Airlines. I have been flying on it for more than 40 years, nationally and internationally. I am proud of this airline, even, when it went trough difficult times. VIVA AMERICANA!

Jane Sullivan Hamden, CT

A few years ago I took a flight to Cancun. The flight was so smooth that I didn't realize we were on the ground until we were rolling past the buildings. The return trip, a week later, was just as smooth. It was a good pilot that knew what he was doing to land that smoothly.

Ron Hussey Los Angeles, CA

I've flown American since 1984. I'm almost at the 2 Million mile mark. It's simply the best airline I've ever flown, and I've flown them all at one time or another. Professionalism, customer service, going the extra mile. There's none better than AA.

Frank Del Toro Chappaqua, NY

The merger hasn't smoothed out a lot of issues at either American or USAirways, but if you know up front what to expect, it can be a less unpleasant experience than you'd anticipate flying American. If you have a carry on and they ask for volunteers to check the bag for free, DON'T. I did it twice, once on American and once on a USAirways. Both times, the damage to the bag was less than the cost of time and labor communicating to me that “We're not liable” (zipper piece was $1.98). The wifi on the different planes, at least coast to coast, was always spotty. GoGo Inflight reimbursed me for the time it was down, which is why they'll always get an A+, but have learned that the equipment on the American fleet is subpar and will always fail for now (according to provider). If you fly through Chicago, Dallas or Charlotte–major hubs of American and USAirways, you'll find the customer service is subpar, so if you have a problem, call the 800 number. If not going there directly, try to connect in Phoenix or Los Angeles. The positives? If you mention the problems to the AAdvantage desk–even if just a regular status member, they immediately assist in resolving to your satisfaction. Prime seating opportunities, like exit rows, are easier to get online prior to the flight (as compared to say, Delta or United, where they block off all of those seats until a few days before). Finally, the other good point is that there is a multitude of flights in case you miss one, and there's little attitude of “though crap” or anything like that. At least, that's what I've experienced. Upgradable seats not so plentiful, but the agents have usually put me on another flight without charging me if I missed it, regardless of fault.

Frank Del Toro Chappaqua, NY

The merger hasn't smoothed out a lot of issues at either American or USAirways, but if you know up front what to expect, it can be a less unpleasant experience than you'd anticipate flying American. If you have a carry on and they ask for volunteers to check the bag for free, don't. I did it twice, once on American and once on a USAirways. Both times, there was damage to the bag was less than the cost of time and labor communicating with me that "We're not liable" than actually just reimbursing me the cost of the zipper piece ($1.96, btw). The wifi on the different planes, at least coast to coast, was always spotty. GoGo Inflight reimbursed me for the time it was down, which is why they'll always get an A+, but have learned that the equipment on the American fleet is subpar and will always fail for now (according to provider). If you fly through Chicago, Dallas or Charlotte--major hubs of American and USAirways, you'll find the customer service is subpar, probably better in Tehran, so if you have a problem, call the 800 number. If not going there directly, try to connect in Phoenix or Los Angeles. The positives? If you mention the problems to the AAdvantage desk--even if just a regular status member, they immediately assist in resolving to your satisfaction. Prime seating opportunities, like exit rows, are easier to get online prior to the flight (as compared to say, Delta or United, where they block off all of those seats until a few days before). Finally, the other good point is that there is a multitude of flights in case you miss one. At least, that's what I've experienced. Upgradable seats not so plentiful, but the agents have usually put me on another flight without charging me if I missed it, regardless of fault.

Steve Rubery Aliso Viejo, CA

Love American, I fly 2x month or more and sure have had hickups here and there but thats to be expected with complex schedules, equipment and weather. I'm not sure why they don't get better reviews but I suspect its from less seasoned travelers. Travel takes time, patience, experience and common sense. American keep up the good work!

Aldo M

with AA since 1991 i accumulate more than 1.5 million miles. I am happy about the prices and the option to make a reservation and hold it for 24 hrs. this helps a lot. The negative: all the planes used to and from Europe are old, there is not a monitor per each seat in coach, the monitors are smaller than and iPad, on the walls and the movies are bad, there is always a kid movie? What is that there are maybe 2% of kids on a plane...... anyways i give it a 8 in the geneal contest AA is a good airline.

Tom Martin Fort Worth, TX

Are we such an ADD society that we need in flight entertainment that has 250 movies, 180 TV shows, etc?? Frankly, I HATE the IFE systems in the airplanes, because the big box under the seats takes up all the leg room. On a recent overseas AA 767-300, the IFE box was so big I couldn't even stretch my legs. I've been on commuter planes with better leg room. TBH, I like flying regional jets. They take your roller bag before you board, so there are no worries about overhead bins. Almost all the RJs don't have IFEs, and while the cabins are smaller, the seats are the same size or bigger than the big jets!

Carlene Knights Macon, GA

I flew with American Airlines twice in the months of May/June to Dallas, DFW from Atlanta. The airport situation with A.A. and United was somewhat confusing, but once in the air, the flights were wonderful. We were late getting to Atlanta on FLT1487 on Friday, held over Atlanta for a while, but the flight was great. Comfortable and the attendants were great.

VILMA NOEMI GALLARDO El Paso, TX

WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE WITH AMERICAN AIRLINES, WENT TO PUERTO RICO TO VISIT MY FAMILY, NICE FLIGHT, NICE AND POLITE CREW, ONLY THING THAT YOU HAVE TO PAY EXTRA FOR LUGGAGE, OTHER THAN THAT, WONDERFUL, HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER DEALS AND PACKAGES FOR PUERTO RICO

DENNIS P BONOLA Palm Desert, CA

I RECENTLY FLEW AA109 LHRLAX ON THEIR NEW 777-300'S. I WAS IN BUSINESS CLASS AND THE LIE-FLAT SEATS WERE THE BEST OF ANY AIRLINE THAT I HAVE FLOWN IN THE LAST YEAR. THEIR SERVICE ALSO WAS SUPERIOR. I HAD A FILET FOR LUNCH THAT WAS JUST AS GOOD AS DINING AT ANY EXPENSIVE STEAK HOUSE. KEEP UP THE EXCELLENT WORK

Wes Winter Park, FL

Recently flew to Rome on AA US Air was the crew. It was a Boeing 5 seats in the middle in coach that were cramped. The A/C was not consistent and our section was warm while others were cold. The food was good and entertainment excellent. The crew was below average. On the return again a US Air plane but AA crew that was more professional and personable. On both flights the seat in front of me was reclined with a child in it which made eating uncomfortable. The AA crew noticed it and ask the person to raise it during meal time. Attention to details. All 4 flights were on time or early. I also fly domestically which is ok. I use to fly AA back in the 80's and 90's and remember their service and comfort was much better. Had 2 1st class trips to Hawaii that were fantastic. Back when I flew a lot and was gold status often got upgraded without asking. Of full service carriers I will stick to AA when I can. I still look for price and Southwest usually wins.

Brielle Spencer Pleasant Grove, UT

Love flying with them! Care about their passengers and make accommodations if needed!

AlisaD Salt Lake City, UT

I just flew American for the first time recently. Service was good. They need more direct flights to places.

Megan A McEvoy Tallahassee, FL

I had a great experience with American Airlines. They were very accomodating, since I was traveling with people who flew in a different class than I did. Regardless of my boarding group they allowed me to board with those I was traveling with so that we could stay together. The service on the airline was also fantastic. The flight attendants were very attentive to passengers' needs for the entirety of the ten hour flight.

ave Pleasant Grove, UT

My experience with American Airlines has been rather positive. They have comfy seats and nice flight attendants. I didn't particularly like their snacks but who has good snacks these days, not many airlines do. The flight I was on wasn't booked so I was able to lay down on the whole row of seats for my red eye, which was awesome! I actually got some sleep!

Sherri Boyles Scottsdale, AZ

I live in Scottsdale, AZ about 20 minutes from the Phoenix Airport and when I first moved here and learned that American Airlines was the only Airline that flew directly to where all of my children live. Some of them live in small cities, so this was great news. The other good news, if you have an American Airlines credit card you can travel with one free bag! Their flights are cheaper than Southwest to most of the cities I need to go and I don't pay for luggage as long as I keep it to one bag and a carryon. I got their credit card and earned miles for free flights and 99% of my flights have been great. I had one bad experience with an incredibly rude flight attendant, but the vast majority of the time I really enjoy flying with American.

we have only hopper flights with AA from our airport, very small planes. we can get to philadelphia but by the time you get everything settled its time to get off. very nice crew the only problem I ever had was when there lock had an issue with baggage area so we had to run to the other end of the terminal to get to our connection flight but AA made it up to us with a free lunch on them. thank you.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I have flown many times on American Airlines. They are an elite airline domestically and internationally. They have better customer service than other airlines, their planes are more modern, they have more room for customers. I have never had a problem with anything flying with American Airlines. I know I am in good hands and trust them, that they will get me to my destination in comfort every time.

Aiga Orem, UT

i travel a lot for work and majority of my bookings is through AA because i love the way they treat me. they are pricey sometimes, but they have good customer relations. there is leg room for me to stretch. only lost my baggage once but communicated with me until my bags were delivered to my hotel. i had a connecting flight cancel and they put me in a hotel for the night.

Barry Antonelli Ellicott City, MD

10/25/21 - American Airline changed the aircraft at last minute. I get that and understand that things happen. That said, they bumped me from 1st class, shoved a voucher in my face and rudely cattle-called me on my way without any representative taking a minute to answering questions I had about another flight. It seamed as though they were going out of their way to treat me as a non-person, just another schmuck that was unlucky enough to entrust American with his travel needs. I am finished with American Airlines...Hello Delta!

Doug Foerch Libertyville, IL

This is our go to airline. They have prices that fluctuate from week to week. So you just have to wait until the prices drop.

Medina Lawncare Chicago, IL

We booked first class as it was our wedding anniversary. On our flight back we were delayed over an hr due to no air in plane. We take off and one hr later are told we are coming back to Dallas as there is a problem on the plane. We get to Dallas and sat at airport with no direction for over 3 hrs. Not even as much as a glass of water. We bought first class as sacrifice and it was a horrible experience. Finally we boarded at approx 9:30 pm and got home after midnight. We asked repeatedly for info and they kept telling us they had no ideas and no crews. It was a horrible experience and will never fly this airline again. 0 stars

Samarra Miller Fort Lauderdale, FL

This was going to be my first time flying with American Airlines. I had a vacation package booked for this weekend to Mexico flying out of MIAMI for my husband surprise birthday . All exclusive Resort (witch I was told AA was the best for these types of packages) All excited to go however the day before we leave an unexpected change (set back) happened therefore were unable to go. Thursday 5/20/21 my travel agent has been trying to get threw to anyone within Customer service as soon as she does 7 HOURS LATER and that's waiting on the call back the phone was disconnected NO ONE FROM AA had the curstey to call her back the professionalism was gone once that happened.. Moving forward to 5/21/21 at 7:30am let's try again but this time we need MANAGEMENT to be involved left a couple of VOICE MAILS and as of now still have not received a call back nor an email. (5/22/2021 1:30am ) still waiting. The disappointment and sadness I feel as a new customer words can't explain . What hurts the most is the poor customer service that could've been corrected once the phone was disconnected. Now that no one has called my agent back makes me feel like my hard earn money and the excitement I wanted to see my husband have has gone Down the drain. The thing about this is I don't want the MONEY BACK we just needed a voucher so we can rebook Within a couple of weeks. The Frustration the worrying of this whole situation has my anxiety on 10. So now instead of my husband enjoying his Birthday he has to watch me sit and worry if anything will happen if we'll receive a call back.. My fear is next week comes and AA says oh sorry there's nothing we can do it's to late but we've been trying since Thursday. I truly do understand that people are busy but for a well known company to not have one person to do call backs or the Manager that was left the VOICE MAIL not return a call is unexceptable. To move forward with using AMERICAN AIRLINES/PACKAGES has really put me in a different mindset for this company. #helpmeoutAmercianAirlines

Christine Naczki Charlotte, NC

Customer service is atrocious. Julie S. at the customer service desk would not allow both my husband and myself to accompany our minor son to the gate for his flight. She stated this had been a policy for 7 years and it was on the American Airlines website. We had both been able to pick him up at the gate the week prior with no problems. We asked for a manager and to see this "policy" in writing and were allowed neither. She was curt and condescending even after we explained we had traveled 2 hours to get to the airport. After seeking out a manager myself, I was told there was no problem with both of us going to the gate and promptly given a pass. Ms. S. needs a refresher in American Airlines Policy, discrimination, and customer service.

jscharm7 Cherry Hill, NJ

American Airlines has been able to offer me cheap and reliable flights throughout the pandemic. Although some of the flight times have changed, they are more than willing to make free adjustments to my trips.

Phebe Rowland Fayetteville, AR

American Airlines provides excellent air transportation. My experience with American Airlines has been wonderful. They have an inviting and helpful flight attendants and skilled pilots. Their travel agents are accommodating and quick problem solvers.

AF ,

I did not have a great experience on American, mostly with the customer service. It seems like the attendants are not happy to be there. The plane also seemed more dirty (and I fly quite a bit). One thing that I did like : I didn't have any status with the airline, but was still able to pay for an upgrade into first class (I liked having that option even though I'm not a regular).

Ladyjojo

My experience with American Airlines is awesome. They are the best airline to travel, they travel to many destinations and the flight attendant are very friendly people. I like that they don't charge for your carry-on.

Alex Knoxville, TN

Great mid-grade tier airline. I have never had a bad experience with AA. Staff is friendly and aircrafts are clean. I guess the only thing I would say is the aircrafts are a little cramped depending on how long your flight is.

Keron Grey Tallahassee, FL

he plane was very clean, the seat comfortable, the flight team seemed happier than other flights and everything went smoothly from gate to gate. Pleased I can give them a good review.

Sarah Mercival Tallahassee, FL

Every time I travel to New York I travel through this company the BEST airline to travel with. They have the most comfortable seats and the best snacks when it comes to that time.

Jennifer Donnelly Tallahassee, FL

I like using this airline because the staff are always so polite and friendly. Whenever I had a question/problem customer service was ready to help right away. Also the food on the plane is very good.

Robert Pacitti

Basic need and most available source for travel from where I now live to where my family lives. It has been fine overall yet I find their equipment is dated on the route I need to take to visit family unlike my experience traveling to other locations where the equipment is more updated and has more conveniences for the passenger.

Jill Merrell

Above good, but flight attendants can be a bit rude at times. I fly AA and Delta, depending on the price at the time. Delta flight attendants seem to be a little nicer, but they all have times they aren't. Must be the type of job.

Maria Delaney Naples, FL

We have been taking AA for over 33 yrs to Aruba and they were great. Now, we take them to Europe and they offer great service. The only improvement would be to offer super savers earlier.

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

The updated planes are great and aren't uncomfortable, but the customer service is questionable. I had a trip to Dayton where a flight was delayed and made me miss my connecting flight in Charlotte, NC which kept me from getting to my home flight to Gulfport. No offer to cover a hotel stay, just getting a small percentage off with a partnering hotel. They at least covered my flight to New Orleans, but I had to arrange for my wife to pick me up and on top of that, miss a day of work I did not need to miss.

gayana innocent Deerfield Beach, FL

I've flown with American Airlines once my entire life and it was a great experience. Aside from being young and wanting to be in the air I was very comfortable and I arrived safe with no complications.

Kenz Buena Vista, VA

Really disappointed in our last two trips with American Airlines. We had multiple flights cancelled and the airlines made no accommodations. We had a flight delayed 4.5 hours and then when we were 7 minutes away from boarding they announced it would be further delayed because they could not find the 1st officer. Our flight was then cancelled. The flight next to us was cancelled because they could not find the pilot.. I understand various circumstances can make flight plans unpredictable but they should be able to foresee personnel issues and not make hundreds of people wait that long just to cancel. While they sometimes have decent prices in comparison with other airlines, the small discount is not always worth the service provided.

yyzsfo Greenbrae, CA

AA totally messed up a connecting flight from DC to BOS that was cancelled due to weather. I had been forced to check my carry-on bag when I boarded the flight, which was later canceled. When I got off the canceled flight, the gate agent told me that my bag (with meds, etc.) would be available at baggage claim in DCA, which was not true; the AA baggage people told me that my bag would not be offloaded until 4 hours later (4 a.m.) but it wasn't and never was available as I spent overnight at the airport (unable to book into a nearby hotel). I turned out that my bag was sent to BOS on the earliest flight out without me, since the gate agent had also told me that the first flight I could get out was 2 days later, which turned out not to be true. Thankfully, I checked with an AA departures agent early in the morning after my night in the airport and he got me a flight that morning (vs the next day) and informed me that my bag had already flown to BOS, where I was able to get it after a lot of effort. In short, AA personnel totally mishandled the situation, except for the one departures agent @ DCA. I would never trust AA again. They mishandle, misinform, lie, and don't seem to care. I prepaid for a nearby hotel room when I thought I had to stay overnight, and when it turned out that I didn't need & couldn't recoup my payment, AA was unwilling to reimburse that $120+ cost. My advice is to avoid AA.

Melvin & Valli Saucer

The experience was good, but the seats are built for small children...at the time I needed a bigger seat belt but was too embarrased to ask so I flew without mine buckled. I've since lost 260 lbs and the seat belts fit now.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

I fly American Airlines pretty often & really like their mobile app that they have. It's easy to book a flight, check a flight status & find a trip right from my cell phone. I really like the feature of being able to track my bags while I'm flying. Really makes me feel comfortable and at ease when I travel.

Cristina Anderson San Antonio, TX

In the past several years, I and my daughter have had the unfortunate opportunity to fly American Airlines on separate occasions. AA is not typically my airline of choice. However, I was unable to book my usual airline to our destinations. My first extremely negative experience with AA was 2 years ago when I was traveling across the country to DC to attend a conference. I was recovering from a severe illness and extremely weak, and probably shouldn't have been going in the first place. I had lost a great deal of weight and was shaky and very short of breath when I got to the baggage counter line, which was extremely long. One worker was standing behind the counter chatting with another. She eventually opened up her counter and when I got to the front, I wheeled my bag to the opening, which had a bit of a ledge over which the bag needed to be lifted in order to put the bag onto the moving carousel, and the worker told me to pick up my bag and place it on the moving carousel myself! I had had difficulty just wheeling my bag, much less actually picking it up! She stepped aside from me to help the next person, leaving me standing there. I struggled with it but managed to get it onto the carousel, but was horribly winded. Another occasion was when I dropped off my 17-year-old daughter (who is very petite and looks 12) for a flight to Texas. She had cash but no credit or debit card with her. She went to check her bag, and the worker told her she could only use a debit or credit card to pay for the bag. SERIOUSLY? This was the first time my daughter was flying solo, and she wasn't sure what to do. She asked the worker and the response she got was just a shrug and "I don't know what to tell you. You have to pay for the checked bag with a debit or credit card," and the worker moved onto the next person. My daughter was about to cry, thinking she was going to miss her flight. Fortunately, another passenger had overheard the entire exchange and helped my daughter get a pre-paid VISA card at a kiosk that ended up costing an additional $5.00. So the fee for checking the baggage ended up costing $30.00 instead of $25.00 because of having to purchase the pre-paid VISA. Then... I was returning home, flying across the country again after a conference. Seated between me and another passenger was a very young boy (looked to be about 4-5 years old). He had a tag hanging around his neck identifying him as flying alone. The stewardess came by before we departed to check on him. He was really cute and quiet. After we took off, the stewardess came by again and see if he needed anything. He was a little nervous and didn't have anything with him. She appeared to be a bit overwhelmed, and asked him if he had any toys or games to play with, which he denied. At that point, the woman at the window and I exchanged looks and rolled our eyes. Who would put a young boy on a plane for 3 hours without anything to do? The stewardess clearly was at a loss and she just left him there. I was exhausted from my conference and had planned on napping on the trip home, but clearly, this was not going to happen. I did have some games on my iPhone and iPad, though not much for a child that age. I hoped he would be able to amuse himself with my electronics, but he wasn't really old enough to just play by himself, so I ended up playing various games with him the entire trip. I didn't mind interacting with the child, who was adorable and sweet. I was very annoyed that the stewardess had absolutely nothing to offer this young boy - no paper, colors, nothing. I can't believe that no other children fly alone on airplanes. I understand that it should be the parent's responsibility to provide entertainment for children, especially if they are sending their kids alone. But I think the airline should also have at least paper and some colors or colored pencils available - every restaurant I've ever gone to when my child was young had this. It would have been even better if AA, knowing that a young child was flying unaccompanied (and knowing the age of the child), planned ahead and had available an electronic tablet loaded with some games or videos in case it was needed. Such a simple thing to do!

Tara Beckert Saratoga Springs, UT

My biggest complaint with this company was the inability to ensure seating when booking a flight. I was able to book seats next to my family on my outgoing flight but somehow was not able to do the same thing on our return flight. The overall flying experience was fine, but I would have liked the ability to book flights next to my family for both flights in the future.