American Airlines is a major airline that just underwent Chapter 11 reorganization. They merged with US Airways to form one of the largest airline companies ever. They offer 273 destinations in the US, North America, the Caribbean, Europe, South America, and Asia. Its' extensive network is based out of five hubs: Dallas/Fort Worth, JFK in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, and O'Hare. Most of its planes are taken care of at Tulsa International Airport. They belong to the Oneworld airline alliance, working to coordinate services with British Airways, Finnair, Japan Airlines, and others. American Airlines also contracts out its regional air services to Envoy Air, SkyWest, and others. ExpressJet operates its American Eagle carrier brand. When they merged with US Airways, the result was the largest airline in the world. The merger was a good move for these companies, as it helped revitalize a company that had been hampered in recent years with financial issues.

Rank Chart
American Airlines Review
$25-$35
$9.95/day
6.9

The Good

There are many positive things about flying with American Airlines. They do a pretty good job in terms of in-flight entertainment. On the planes that are fitted with back seat TVs, it is possible to get on-demand entertainment. Planes without this feature allow passengers to check out on-demand tablets for in-flight entertainment needs.

If you are looking to be entertained on one of their flights, you will find the following options:

• 250 movies on international flights and 150 movies on domestic flights
  • Up to 180 TV shows
  • 350 audio sections
  • 18 American Airlines Radio channels
  • Up to 20 games to play.

You can also bring your own device to stream the items above, including laptops, an iPad, the Galaxy Tab, or any device that runs iOS or Android OS 3.2

There is a lot to like about the fact that  American Airlines is continuously upgrading it’s fleet. Every week, American Airlines gets at least one new plane. These include Boeing 777-300ERs, Airbus 321s, and Airbus 319s. The old fleet of Boeing 767-300s, and Boeing 777-200s are continuously being upgraded to include lie-flat business class seats and other seating options. The Airbus planes should provide more comfortable seating options for flyers, especially in terms of bigger and better seats.

According to Flightstats.com, their flights have arrived on-time roughly 82% of the time.

The Bad

There are a few issues that can become a part of your travels when using American Airlines. When we called in, we had questions about “upping” the liability on your checked baggage. Delta lets you up your baggage liability to $5000, but American Airlines seems to avoid doing this.

Some customers have had problems with American Airlines and their e-vouchers for various types of refunds. On an issued ticket, you cannot apply a voucher to get a refund. If you have no more planned trips for the year, the e-voucher is going to be somewhat useless if you don’t use it by its expiration date.

One customer also paid for a seat upgrade, but when they got to the plane, they still found their old seats. The customer found out that they would need to pay more to upgrade their seats again.

One potential issue with the in-flight entertainment options are the planes in which they are available. When researching the AA fleet on their website, the best options for in-flight entertainment are on Boeing planes. Airbus planes have not been upgraded to the fullest extent as have Boeing planes up to this point. If a customer gets on an Airbus, they may have difficulties getting tablets, overhead video, or streaming video. Older Boeing planes are also sometimes lacking similar features for clients as well.

The Bottom Line

We recommend American Airlines because of their top of the line in-flight entertainment, many destinations, and large number of daily flights. Because of their length of time being in business and their recent merger with US Airways and their resources, we feel confident in recommending them as an airline at this time.

Airline companies who provide an easy layout to follow in regards to their checked baggage policies provide a great benefit to their customers. American Airlines does a great job at listing their prices and complimentary features of the checked baggage process on their online website. A few important things to note about their policy are as follows:

• Possibility of up to three free checked bags

• Standard carry-on limitations

In general, with a standard American Airline airfare ticket, most importantly when flying domestically in the United States, checked baggage will cost each customer twenty-five dollars for the first bag, thirty-five for an additional bag, one hundred and fifty dollars for a third and two hundred per each additional bag of up to ten bags. However, with special ticket fares, membership in the American Airlines rewards program or when traveling to certain destinations, there is a possibility of earning up to three complimentary free checked bags. American Airlines also has standard size restrictions and allows each bag to weigh up to fifty pounds and be sixty-two inches in height. Bags that exceed these requirements will be charged an excess baggage fee of two hundred dollars depending on where a customer is flying. It should also be noted that customers who are flying first class, business class, Executive Platinum or oneworld Emerald, may have baggage that weighs up to seventy pounds with no extra charge.

As far as carry-on items go, American Airlines is very similar too many other airline companies in the industry. Flight passengers are allowed to bring one carry-on bag as well as one personal item such as a purse, backpack, briefcase, laptop, or smaller item such as a tote. Carry-on bags must be forty-five inches in height or smaller. All carry-on bags must be able to fit comfortably in American Airlines bag sizer as part of the flight check-in process.

There are several different types of travel insurance that an airline company can offer to their customers. Some of the most important types that potential travelers frequently look for are listed below with further detail of what American Airlines specifically offers: • Trip Cancellation and refund policy • Baggage loss or delay • Special assistance during flight One of

• Baggage loss or delay • Special assistance during flight One of

• Special assistance during flight One of

One of the most unique things that American Airlines offers their customers is the ability to actually purchase travel insurance to cover any unexpected events that might occur prior to travel. Unfortunately, because of this option American Airlines offers less complimentary services to compensate for change in travel plans. Most tickets once purchased are non-refundable and customers who would like refunds must submit a refund request form to be evaluated by the American Airline staff. Customers are allowed to make changes to their reservations if they are traveling within the United States, the trip was not booked using any promotions, and as long as the trip is at least three hours in advance to the changes being made. In addition, the only refunds made to non-refundable tickets include the death of the passenger or traveling companion, changes to the flight schedule made by American Airlines that result in sixty-one minutes of change or more, and military orders or changes in duty. All of these exceptions will need proper documentation to receive a full refund. It should also be noted that in most cases if a non-refundable ticket is purchased and not used by a customer, depending on fare rules, most tickets can be applied towards a future trip within the same year. If baggage becomes lost when traveling with American Airlines, the company promises to reimburse customers for any items that are needed immediately. In order to receive this reimbursement, passengers must notify American Airlines within forty-five days of the flight by either mail, fax or email. Depending on how long any luggage is lost, will affect the amount of reimbursement given to customers. If a bag cannot be found within five days from the time of the flight, a separate questionnaire form must be filed with American Airlines in order to receive accurate compensation. For luggage that is damaged during flight, American Airlines travel insurance procedure states that the customers must contact an agent before leaving the airport or within the first twenty-four hours to be eligible for any reimbursement. If a customer is in need of any special assistance during a flight, such as medical attention or equipment use, American Airlines request that all these needs be discussed with the flight staff in advance to the flight departure. All accommodations can be made on American Airline flights, but with more notice, the flight staff can better prepare to help in any way they can to needing customers.

X close
X close

152 American Airlines Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

0=WORST 10=BEST

2. Subject For This Review*(Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

or

1. User Score

September 6th, 2016 Sunnyvale, CA

Flew American Airlines in July.
    After months of trying to reach a person in American Airlines that could help with a theft from my luggage, I have found they want original receipts for items claimed. They have bureaucratic answers to all requests. They take no responsibility for any items checked in baggage. You fly at your own risk!

2. User Score

January 18th, 2016 Emeryville, CA

Flew the airbus 321T transcon in Dec, Business Class one way, First the other. Save your money stick to Business Class, First is more cramped than Business with all the crap airbus surrounds you with.

3. User Score

January 18th, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

The service staff at American Airlines are awesome! Besides their primary objective of safety, they are compassionate and empathetic to our needs. On a recent flight from Charlotte to Las Vegas, we had just heard the shocking news of the loss of my father’s wife. I mentioned this to “Joy”, the lead stewardess while boarding the flight. Joy was at my wife’s side through out the flight to console and comfort to the best of her abilities! I will recommend American Airlines any day!

4. User Score

January 16th, 2016 Boston, MA

With the merger complete the service is very unbalanced. You can see the difference in the former USAirways employees- they are more likely to just go through the motions rather than focus on passenger safety and service.
    It was painfully evident this past week.
    I only travel first class on domestic flights-paid, not upgrades.
    My first leg was BOS-LAX – morning flight, legacy AA operated. We were greeted with not just water bottles at our seat, but three times the FA came through with orange juice and coffee pre-poured. She also offered something stronger if one desired. Throughout the entire flight he was attentive without being bothersome. He also made small talk with passengers (who were not buried in their laptop, tablet or the entertainment offerings.)
    Upon our arrival at LAX and waiting for a gate to clear he came through with bottled water again.

My second and third legs were not as great. LAX to PHX there were no water bottles at your seat upon arrival. I asked for one and was greeted with this is a short flight and lightly booked so they were not doing pre-departure beverage service.
    Whatever. Former USAirways crew and a bird still waiting to be painted.

It is a short flight and it was early afternoon – so whilst no meal service the beverage and munchies service was labored at best.

The final leg was PHX to BOS – a 10h10 departure. We had a small delay and the gate agent was excellent in providing updates.

As we were boarding the in aircraft announcement was basically to hurry up, we are already late.” Late because of the airline. Not those of us boarding. This flight did offer water pre-departure – not at each seat – but via tray, the FA did welcome each passenger plane individually.

The inflight meal (lunch) was served very quickly after cruising altitude was achieved. I did ask if I could hold off on service for another hour, and was told certainly- with the dig alerting me that she could not be responsible for the entree after being reheated.

Upon arrival the FA making all the cabin announcements thanked us for flying USAirways, quickly correcting themselves to American.

5. User Score

January 15th, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

They lost my luggage on 10/30/15, causing me to miss a race, as I checked my bag. The first group of CSRs were nice but other than saying my case was being “expedited” and that my luggage is “in transit” they couldn’t do much.

According to another rep, my luggage was delivered to the hotel a day AFTER I left. I told the hotel staff to give them my home address and did the same with the gate agent at LBG. I filed a claim for my loss (since it was a week and I was getting no updates from central baggage….those are the not-so-nice reps) but they lost my claim and original receipts. Faxed it, still didn’t get it “because we get a lot of faxes”. Scanned an sent by email, got bounced back as “undeliverable”. After several faxes (all with “completed ” stairs on my end) they finally received it.

Good thing I made copies of everything or I would be screwed. Called every three or four days, posted on their Facebook and Twitter and sent scathing email to thier CEO and Customer service VP. Supposedly getting a check in a few weeks, but where the hell did my luggage go?

Good thing there’s a zero-star option bexuase AA deserves it.

6. User Score

August 25th, 2015 Wright City, MO

The best

7. User Score

August 25th, 2015 Westfield, NJ

Three years ago I went to Quito Ecuador my flight back from Quito to Newark, NJ was a nightmare . I flew back 3 days later. I almost lost my job here at the USA. Finally they sent me in Delta. They pay Hotel only for one night.

8. User Score

August 23rd, 2015 Arlington, TX

I think the charge for checked baggage and preferred seating is nothing but money grabbing. I have always traveled on AA and over the years the service has gone down and the prices have gone up. The last trip I took to Central America was on an Airbus, cramped, un comfortable and the attendants were very unfriendly and acted like they were mad at the world.

9. User Score

August 22nd, 2015 Flower Mound, TX

Oh how I wish American had some real competition out of DFW! I am a Platinum customer of American and time and again I am disappointed in their customer service, the filthy status of their airplanes and the lack of timeliness. Please American, empower your employees, clean your airplanes and, stop the clustering of your flights which make it more difficult to get into the airport, maneuver thru mass throngs of people all trying get to their gates and, makes flying times terribly inconvenient.

10. User Score

August 20th, 2015 Hayden, ID

American Airlines has always held a special place in my heart. After finishing tech school in 1968 at Chanute AFB, IL I received orders for Clark AB in the Philippines. It was December 23rd, in a blizzard, that I arrived at O’Hare Airport trying to get back to San Francisco on Military Stand-by. Not only did American hold the flight for me, they put me in 1st Class and gave me a bottle of champagne. It was one of the last flights out and, for one 18 year old Airman, an experience I will never forget.

11. User Score

August 20th, 2015 Dallas, TX

My Red Bathing suit was taken from my luggage checked at the gate! The seats were so small, I felt like a sardine!

12. User Score

August 19th, 2015 Edinburg, TX

this best airline i usually for 17 years i so proud
    thanks american airline

13. User Score

August 17th, 2015 Lynchburg, VA

I was supposed to leave my home town at 7 AM, only to find that me flight was delayed twice and then cancelled. I was taken by taxi to an airport 115 miles away, where that flight was delayed 2 hours, plus they were telling me that I would have to say in Dallas for a full day, because they did not have another flight leaving for Anchorage. My trip planner found a flight on the AA website with a layover of 1 1/2 hour delay. The AA people could not find it on their own website. Then, on top of that, they did not forward my luggage on to Anchorage. It stayed in Dallas until the next evening.

14. User Score

August 15th, 2015 Los Angeles, CA

Recently flew LA-NY. Everything about the reservation, ticket and travel was screwed up by AA from beginning to end. Used Miles and $$ for the trip.
    – The Original Res agent screwed up and the ticket was reserved but never ticketed. That took more than 12 phone calls to get resolved.
    * Their “we’ll call you back so you don’t wait on hold service” actually disconnected me 3x after saying “hold for an agent”.
    – When the reservation was FINALLY “ticketed” so I could check in, they had changed the Record Locator number and, unbeknownst to me, lost my seat assignments AND THEY WIPED OUT THE RETURN TRIP.
    – Because of the grief of getting TO NY, 2 days before my return, I checked the status of the return flight online. THAT was when I discovered they’d wiped out the return ticket.
    – 3 more phone calls later, they FIRST told me there was no return. because I was a “no show” on the original flight. After I pointed out THAT I WAS ON THE ORIGINAL FLIGHT AND WAS CALLING FROM NY — WHICH I GOT TO BY FLYING WITH THEM – they FINALLY went back to the original locator and reinstated the return.
    – The day I went to fly out I got Newark Airport at 12 noon for a 2pm departure. I was checked in, on the plane and we taxied out to a runway where we sat for 45-60 minutes before being told we were going back to the gate because of a “Ground Hold” at the destination airport (I had a connecting flight through Ohare). Eventually we were told to deplane and an agent at the gate would help us rebook etc.
    – We ALL deplaned, and NO AGENT CAME TO THE GATE for over 45 minutes.
    – While standing on line for THE GATE AGENT WHO NEVER CAME, I called AA and got someone to rebook me for the next morning at 7:30am. I was instructed to go to the ticket desk upstairs and get a hotel voucher and come back to the airport in the morning.
    – THE RUDEST, NASTIEST AA Employee in THE HISTORY of air travel refused to help me. Told me she would not give me a hotel voucher and I would just have to sit in the airport. When I asked for a supervisor (SINCE I was doing what the AA PHONE REP INSTRUCTED ME TO DO) she pointed at me like I was a misbehaving pet and motioned for me to step to the side… and WHEN I DID – she began helping other passengers. NEVER CALLED THE SUPERVISOR. I THEN YELLED AT HER TO GET THE SUPERVISOR – which she finally did (and people behind me applauded my response to this IDIOT)
    -HER Supervisor took my complaint about her – looked at the NEW (3rd) record locator in her system and saw that the phone rep DID NOT put the note in about issuing a Hotel Voucher. So her hands were tied. But SHE DID find a Direct flight from Newark to LA — if I flew out of JFK!!!!
    – I then spent money on a shuttle ($35) and 90 minutes of time to get to JFK, plus more money ($90) to alter ground transportation in LA — since I was no longer coming in at 9pm and would arrive nearly midnight – I lost my original car service.. PLUS had to book w/another.
    – When I got to JFK, I boarded a flight that was full/overbook and flew home with them RUNNING THE HEAT for 5 1/2 hours because one of the flighrt crew was cold. Despite half the passengers complaining about it.
    – AA PROMISED to refund the “expedite fees” associated with my FFlier mileage usage (which THEY STILL HAVEN’T) – which was $150 – almost the exact amount I had to spend to get to the other airport AND change my ground transportation.
    – I have been using AA’s online customer service system to try to communicate with them – but have had NO success.

15. User Score

August 14th, 2015 Saint Louis, MO

On a flight from St. Louis,Mo to Chicago, IL or the connecting flight from Chicago, IL to Richmond, Va Baggage Handlers broke my laptop that was in my luggage, and refused to replace it.

16. User Score

August 14th, 2015 Arlington, TX

In as much as possible, I, always, use American Airlines. I have been flying on it for more than 40 years, nationally and internationally. I am proud of this airline, even, when it went trough difficult times. VIVA AMERICANA!

17. User Score

August 14th, 2015 Lubbock, TX

I’ve preferred American for years, but one recent bad experience really sticks. I received a $450 voucher for giving up a seat on a flight. The problem came when I decided to use the voucher. On July 5th I scheduled a trip for August 5-11 directly with AA. They said I needed to mail my voucher to them so they could process it. I sent it by FedEx and they received it on the 7th. I wanted to be sure is was approved before renting a car. Big mistake – by the time I learned they wouldn’t process it quickly my rental car costs rose $400. I kept calling back every few days and found they just hadn’t gotten around to processing my voucher – and wouldn’t until the last moment. Turns out, my tickets were finally approved on the 31st of July – 5 days before we departed! Now, this voucher was issued by a computer. It was submitted with all necessary information on the 7th. It was processed by a computer. There is no reason it should take more than a day or two to process. I’ll never volunteer my seat again with American. From now on, they can keep their vouchers, and I’ll keep my seat. I’d rather know my flight is properly scheduled than deal with this kind of bureaucratic stupidity.

18. User Score

August 14th, 2015 Richardson, TX

I have flown American for years. Every summer I go to Costa Rica and it is (was) my favorite airline.. However, it seems that in the past years they are charging more and more for less service.. This summer I paid double for the trip, and even when I try to change seats , there was a charge of $40 and $50! . Makes me wonder if I’ll continue using their services.

19. User Score

August 13th, 2015 Tampa, FL

Quality of service at AA is uneven and depends on flight or airport. And on the mood of the attendant or customer service rep. They need a company wide drive on customer service.

They also need to be like their major competitor, Delta, and quit taking advantage of the exception to the DOT rule that allows customers to get a full refund if they cancel within 24 hours of booking. With AA, you are out of luck if your flight takes off in less than 7 days from time of booking; the DOT rules allow that. Delta has a no risk guarantee that provides for a full refund within 24 hrs or flt departure time, whichever is shorter

20. User Score

August 12th, 2015 Hollywood, FL

Start to be the best to fly around the planet..