American Airlines

American Airlines Logo

6.6

American Airlines

New planes, convenient service, and a world of possibilities

American Airlines is a major airline that just underwent Chapter 11 reorganization. They merged with US Airways to form one of the largest airline companies ever. They offer 273 destinations in the US, North America, the Caribbean, Europe, South America, and Asia. Its' extensive network is based out of five hubs: Dallas/Fort Worth, JFK in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, and O'Hare. Most of its planes are taken care of at Tulsa International Airport. They belong to the Oneworld airline alliance, working to coordinate services with British Airways, Finnair, Japan Airlines, and others. American Airlines also contracts out its regional air services to Envoy Air, SkyWest, and others. ExpressJet operates its American Eagle carrier brand. When they merged with US Airways, the result was the largest airline in the world. The merger was a good move for these companies, as it helped revitalize a company that had been hampered in recent years with financial issues.

The Good

There are many positive things about flying with American Airlines. They do a pretty good job in terms of in-flight entertainment. On the planes that are fitted with back seat TVs, it is possible to get on-demand entertainment. Planes without this feature allow passengers to check out on-demand tablets for in-flight entertainment needs.

If you are looking to be entertained on one of their flights, you will find the following options:

• 250 movies on international flights and 150 movies on domestic flights
  • Up to 180 TV shows
  • 350 audio sections
  • 18 American Airlines Radio channels
  • Up to 20 games to play.

You can also bring your own device to stream the items above, including laptops, an iPad, the Galaxy Tab, or any device that runs iOS or Android OS 3.2

There is a lot to like about the fact that  American Airlines is continuously upgrading it's fleet. Every week, American Airlines gets at least one new plane. These include Boeing 777-300ERs, Airbus 321s, and Airbus 319s. The old fleet of Boeing 767-300s, and Boeing 777-200s are continuously being upgraded to include lie-flat business class seats and other seating options. The Airbus planes should provide more comfortable seating options for flyers, especially in terms of bigger and better seats.

According to Flightstats.com, their flights have arrived on-time roughly 82% of the time.

The Bad

There are a few issues that can become a part of your travels when using American Airlines. When we called in, we had questions about "upping" the liability on your checked baggage. Delta lets you up your baggage liability to $5000, but American Airlines seems to avoid doing this.

Some customers have had problems with American Airlines and their e-vouchers for various types of refunds. On an issued ticket, you cannot apply a voucher to get a refund. If you have no more planned trips for the year, the e-voucher is going to be somewhat useless if you don't use it by its expiration date.

One customer also paid for a seat upgrade, but when they got to the plane, they still found their old seats. The customer found out that they would need to pay more to upgrade their seats again.

One potential issue with the in-flight entertainment options are the planes in which they are available. When researching the AA fleet on their website, the best options for in-flight entertainment are on Boeing planes. Airbus planes have not been upgraded to the fullest extent as have Boeing planes up to this point. If a customer gets on an Airbus, they may have difficulties getting tablets, overhead video, or streaming video. Older Boeing planes are also sometimes lacking similar features for clients as well.

The Bottom Line

We recommend American Airlines because of their top of the line in-flight entertainment, many destinations, and large number of daily flights. Because of their length of time being in business and their recent merger with US Airways and their resources, we feel confident in recommending them as an airline at this time.

Sofie Rosenvall
September 20th, 2018 Alpine, UT

We have had a lot of connecting flights with American Airlines. I do remember one experience where our flights needed to be changed and they were not willing to work with me on getting the flight changed, my only option was keep the flight or loose the money that I had paid... I was disappointed in the customer service that was provided to me.

Jennifer Greenwood
September 18th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

I was pleased with American Airlines. The employees were friendly and they were on schedule. I felt cared about.

Shari Evers
September 17th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I’ve only flown American Airlines once, but the experience wasn’t great. There was an hour delay on an already late night flight, with no explanation! And the cabin wasn’t in very good condition.

Ilana
September 10th, 2018 Chicago, IL DETAILS

I just had a recent flight with AA. I love this airline. I choose them often. Their professionalism and efficiency is over the top.

Dave Brinton
August 31st, 2018

The flight crews seem burned out and grumpy.

Shanna
August 31st, 2018 South Jordan, UT

When I flew American Airlines, the attendants were kind and helpful. We had a young child at the time and they helped so much with getting us seated.

Sadie Scoville
August 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

The flight attendants are very nice and always help you with whatever you need. The pilot also always tells us where we are and how long until arrival often.

wanda
August 30th, 2018 Saint George, UT

great experience. flights were on time with no problems. our check in experience was simple, i like that there was room for my carry on up top. i had plenty of leg room. the workers were so friendly and the announcer explaining rules of the plane and showing emergency exits was funny and not boring.

Dylan Findlay
August 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

Had a great experience with American Airlines. Booking and flight both went smoothly with no delays

L Fowler
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I really liked their customer service when I was stranded in Hawaii. They worked really hard to find me another flight home and even got me into first class without charging me extra. Great customer service that day

tini mapu
August 28th, 2018 Orem, UT

I love this airline. They have amazing prices and awesome food on the airplane.

Darluap
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Lots of flight options in the west. Good planes could be updated. Great service.

Aiga
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

i travel a lot for work and majority of my bookings is through AA because i love the way they treat me. they are pricey sometimes, but they have good customer relations. there is leg room for me to stretch. only lost my baggage once but communicated with me until my bags were delivered to my hotel. i had a connecting flight cancel and they put me in a hotel for the night.

Meliame Selu
August 27th, 2018 Layton, UT

This airline is good and not that bad. Just a bad experience on one flight going home involving a flight attendant but other than that they are ok.

Reagan Durfey
August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

American Airlines is a good company to fly with the rates are competative. I would fly with them again.

Jr
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

i prefer flying AA due to extra leg room space and availability of flights.price is reasonable. the only negative is i have to pay $25 for my luggage every time i travel.

Thomas Hullinger
August 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

American Airlines has always made my traveling a little easier. They are well priced, they are dependable, and I have never had a bad experience flying with them.

Kris
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We enjoyed flying American Airlines because of the great deals we seem to find out of Salt Lake City international Airport. We have never had trouble with being delayed or losing luggage .

Lesa Burgess
August 20th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I fly American Airlines pretty often & really like their mobile app that they have. It's easy to book a flight, check a flight status & find a trip right from my cell phone. I really like the feature of being able to track my bags while I'm flying. Really makes me feel comfortable and at ease when I travel.

Bella Houtz
August 20th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

American Airlines is a reliable and comfortable airline that provides a great experience for the whole family. We love what American Airlines has to offer.

Sepi
August 16th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

They are the best but workers lose their benefit now due to other person fault make us sad ! Should show only the hard working people mercy

Byron Caldwell
August 14th, 2018 Norfolk, VA DETAILS

So, here is why AA is a horrible airline that will never receive another penny from me! We flew my mother in law from Honduras to Virginia, with a connection in MIA. We did everything needed to request her wheel chair service in advance as well as provide an emergency contact number. She checks in, gets wheel chair service to her aircraft. She departs and arrives in Miami for her 2 hour and 34 minute layover. They take her off the plane and to her next gate. Here's where you start to completely fail. There is a gate change and nobody does anything to get the handicap person to her new gate. No, instead, you realize this flight is overbooked and this is an easy "bump" to make room. I'll get to the proof of that statement shortly. She realizes after much time she's not leaving MIA on her scheduled flight. Traveling from another country, she has no cell phone to notify anyone. She became upset and crying. Did anyone step in yet? Not American Airlines! Luckily, a passenger say her upset and offered her cell phone for her to make a call. When she got us on the phone, we immediately started calling to find out what happened. The agent on the phone tells us she missed her connecting flight and was rescheduled for the next morning. When asked how or why, we were told she was at a call center and could only ready what was on the screen? Really, that's your customer service? Ok, move on as we now have an issue at hand. We call the courteous traveler back while she is still nearby so we can talk again and try to calm down my mother in law. Starting to ponder if we should start a 16 hour drive, we call another number to American Airlines, I believe at the MIA airport. This person tells us not to worry, they will get her into a hotel as well as transportation to and from. Ok, so now move on to finding out if the bags would arrive on the original flight. This is where the proof comes in that she was purposely bumped to another flight. American could not tell us if the bags were on the original flight or not. We go to the airport and check baggage claim for the original flight. Bags arrive? NO, which tells us they were scheduled for the next day as well. This shows American Airlines had no intention to put her on her scheduled flight because the bags were not transferred to that plane. So, now, where did they take her and is she ok? After all, she is handicap and not able to get around. She came from a foreign country, with no American cash in hand to buy anything. Finally, we track down what hotel they were going to take her to and assured everything would be fine. Then, finally at 3:30am, we are able to speak to my mother in law again. They had literally just put her in a hotel .... AND WITH 3 TOTAL STRANGERS!! Are you kidding me?? Then, have the audacity to tell her she is being picked up at 4:30am in time for her new flight. She is put in this hotel with her carry on, 2 fifty pound checked bags, and her purse. When her shuttle arrives an hour later to take her back to the airport, she is offered no assistance with bags. Now, a handicap person who had wheelchair access requested must now carry 2 fifty pound suitcases, a carry on, and her purse. Again, luck struck as another passenger sees the struggle and starts to help. And lucky for that passenger because the new flight had a gate change as well. Which, now we know, American does nothing to assist with and just let you miss your flight. If anyone could possibly rationalize this into any form of being acceptable, I'd love to hear it! Again, American Airlines will never see another penny from us. I hope dearly they get what they deserve and go bankrupt!! You people are pathetic to say the least.

shamika
August 6th, 2018 Washington, DC DETAILS

On my birthday 7-27, it was my first time flying ever. I flew out or Raegan to MIA using American Airlines. The flight attendants were respectful. It was a peaceful ride with no turbulence. I was nervous yet the pilot handled that plane very well. The landing was scary and once I got off I had no complaints. On 7-31 leaving MIA to Raegan, I had a smooth, wonderful ride. I wasn't as nervous. The pilot was clear on announcements and again, the flight attendants were respectful. They gave us pretzels and we had the option to choose from juice or soda. I was extremely happy knowing it was my 2nd time flying, but officially my first time on a plane period. I was able to thank the pilot while getting off of the plane and thanking him for keeping me & the other passengers safe. I will ride American again. Thanks again American Airlines!!!

Cristina Anderson
August 6th, 2018 San Antonio, TX DETAILS

In the past several years, I and my daughter have had the unfortunate opportunity to fly American Airlines on separate occasions. AA is not typically my airline of choice. However, I was unable to book my usual airline to our destinations. My first extremely negative experience with AA was 2 years ago when I was traveling across the country to DC to attend a conference. I was recovering from a severe illness and extremely weak, and probably shouldn't have been going in the first place. I had lost a great deal of weight and was shaky and very short of breath when I got to the baggage counter line, which was extremely long. One worker was standing behind the counter chatting with another. She eventually opened up her counter and when I got to the front, I wheeled my bag to the opening, which had a bit of a ledge over which the bag needed to be lifted in order to put the bag onto the moving carousel, and the worker told me to pick up my bag and place it on the moving carousel myself! I had had difficulty just wheeling my bag, much less actually picking it up! She stepped aside from me to help the next person, leaving me standing there. I struggled with it but managed to get it onto the carousel, but was horribly winded. Another occasion was when I dropped off my 17-year-old daughter (who is very petite and looks 12) for a flight to Texas. She had cash but no credit or debit card with her. She went to check her bag, and the worker told her she could only use a debit or credit card to pay for the bag. SERIOUSLY? This was the first time my daughter was flying solo, and she wasn't sure what to do. She asked the worker and the response she got was just a shrug and "I don't know what to tell you. You have to pay for the checked bag with a debit or credit card," and the worker moved onto the next person. My daughter was about to cry, thinking she was going to miss her flight. Fortunately, another passenger had overheard the entire exchange and helped my daughter get a pre-paid VISA card at a kiosk that ended up costing an additional $5.00. So the fee for checking the baggage ended up costing $30.00 instead of $25.00 because of having to purchase the pre-paid VISA. Then... I was returning home, flying across the country again after a conference. Seated between me and another passenger was a very young boy (looked to be about 4-5 years old). He had a tag hanging around his neck identifying him as flying alone. The stewardess came by before we departed to check on him. He was really cute and quiet. After we took off, the stewardess came by again and see if he needed anything. He was a little nervous and didn't have anything with him. She appeared to be a bit overwhelmed, and asked him if he had any toys or games to play with, which he denied. At that point, the woman at the window and I exchanged looks and rolled our eyes. Who would put a young boy on a plane for 3 hours without anything to do? The stewardess clearly was at a loss and she just left him there. I was exhausted from my conference and had planned on napping on the trip home, but clearly, this was not going to happen. I did have some games on my iPhone and iPad, though not much for a child that age. I hoped he would be able to amuse himself with my electronics, but he wasn't really old enough to just play by himself, so I ended up playing various games with him the entire trip. I didn't mind interacting with the child, who was adorable and sweet. I was very annoyed that the stewardess had absolutely nothing to offer this young boy - no paper, colors, nothing. I can't believe that no other children fly alone on airplanes. I understand that it should be the parent's responsibility to provide entertainment for children, especially if they are sending their kids alone. But I think the airline should also have at least paper and some colors or colored pencils available - every restaurant I've ever gone to when my child was young had this. It would have been even better if AA, knowing that a young child was flying unaccompanied (and knowing the age of the child), planned ahead and had available an electronic tablet loaded with some games or videos in case it was needed. Such a simple thing to do!

adrian irish
August 3rd, 2018 Rutland, VT DETAILS

Had an asthma attack as I exited the lavatory. I went to the nearest attendant who had the refreshment cart. I tapped her on the shoulder and said I can't breathe. She never looked up and told me to sit down, which I did. She did not look up until the passengers started shouting, he's turning gray, he can't breathe. She got an oxygen tank and that didn't work, the oxygen mask from the overhead was pulled down as was found to be inoperable. At this point a RN (passenger) took over and kept me alive. We landed and I was transported to a hospital for 5 days. My wife had to pay for her own ticket home in addition the the original that was purchased.

Sally Theriault
August 1st, 2018 DETAILS

This was many years ago; I loved the monitor on the back of the seat in front of me.

Deleno Duncan
August 1st, 2018 DETAILS

It wa great. The stewards were nice and very informative

ANDREW D
August 1st, 2018 DETAILS

American is always very professional and seems to be more transparent about service, particularly when things get off-schedule.

Joseph Avalos
August 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Great service sky cap handled baggage well, the extra fees for baggage seems unreasonable

Faraz Naqvi
August 1st, 2018 DETAILS

Always delayed and service have gone down hill. Your 500 mile upgrades are absolutely useless

Abby Nelson
July 31st, 2018 Provo, UT

Not my favorite airline company. They are not as reliable as I would like for them to be. And I was really let down once when I missed a flight, and had to pay for my hotel. They blame weather, but I'm skeptical.

Cody Linden
July 30th, 2018 Lehi, UT

Flew to Mexico from Salt Lake City, the flight was pleasant, staff was nice, and it left on time. Throughout our flight we were brought drinks and snacks. For such a long flight it was nice to have those amenities. I didn't watch any movies or shows on the flight (didn't want to pay for it) but instead just listened to my own music.

Marilyn Greer
July 24th, 2018 Saint George, UT

I love that they have TV's for everyone but I hate that I have to pay to check a bag.

Mary Walker
July 23rd, 2018 Georgetown, KY DETAILS

Flew American this week. Planes were new, clean and leg room awesome. Crew were friendly. Wonderful flight

Anne Kimball
July 23rd, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

We flew on American Airlines when we were going to Europe and we flew with our child and they were so accommodating for such a long flight with a small child. They checked in on us to make sure we had everything we needed and were very comforting when our child was having a hard time.

Sara Jane
July 19th, 2018 Crestwood, KY

Every American Airlines flight I have been on was a hot mess. From the boarding to landing and every step in between. I try to avoid flying AA if at all possible.

THANH NGUYEN
July 19th, 2018

great service! nice people! enjoyed the free movies and games on the plane and snacks

Spencer Hodgson
July 16th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Do not fly with American Airlines! They won't send you an email confirmation until the last minute. I got to the airport not knowing if I had a ticket or not, and right when I got there they told me my ticket didn't go through, and it took me two hours to get on my plane. Don't fly with them!

Joanna Hester
June 18th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

When my husband and I wanted to get away, we chose to fly on American Airlines because they had the best selection of flights for a reasonable price. I also love being able to pick my seat and not have to worry about if my husband and I will be able to sit together.

Bella Houtz
June 13th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

American Airlines is a good solid company. The pricing seems fair. I have had some problems with being on time but that might be the airports problem as much as American Airlines. The employees are always nice and I would use them in the future.