Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

American Airlines

American Airlines Logo

American Airlines

New planes, convenient service, and a world of possibilities

American Airlines is a major airline that just underwent Chapter 11 reorganization. They merged with US Airways to form one of the largest airline companies ever. They offer 273 destinations in the US, North America, the Caribbean, Europe, South America, and Asia. Its' extensive network is based out of five hubs: Dallas/Fort Worth, JFK in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, and O'Hare. Most of its planes are taken care of at Tulsa International Airport. They belong to the Oneworld airline alliance, working to coordinate services with British Airways, Finnair, Japan Airlines, and others. American Airlines also contracts out its regional air services to Envoy Air, SkyWest, and others. ExpressJet operates its American Eagle carrier brand. When they merged with US Airways, the result was the largest airline in the world. The merger was a good move for these companies, as it helped revitalize a company that had been hampered in recent years with financial issues.

#1 Southwest Airlines Logo Southwest Airlines ›

9.5

Overall
Score

#2 JetBlue Logo JetBlue ›

8.1

Overall
Score

#3 Delta Airlines Logo Delta Airlines ›

7.6

Overall
Score

#6 American Airlines Logo American Airlines ›

6.8

Overall
Score

The Good

There are many positive things about flying with American Airlines. They do a pretty good job in terms of in-flight entertainment. On the planes that are fitted with back seat TVs, it is possible to get on-demand entertainment. Planes without this feature allow passengers to check out on-demand tablets for in-flight entertainment needs.

If you are looking to be entertained on one of their flights, you will find the following options:

• 250 movies on international flights and 150 movies on domestic flights
  • Up to 180 TV shows
  • 350 audio sections
  • 18 American Airlines Radio channels
  • Up to 20 games to play.

You can also bring your own device to stream the items above, including laptops, an iPad, the Galaxy Tab, or any device that runs iOS or Android OS 3.2

There is a lot to like about the fact that  American Airlines is continuously upgrading it's fleet. Every week, American Airlines gets at least one new plane. These include Boeing 777-300ERs, Airbus 321s, and Airbus 319s. The old fleet of Boeing 767-300s, and Boeing 777-200s are continuously being upgraded to include lie-flat business class seats and other seating options. The Airbus planes should provide more comfortable seating options for flyers, especially in terms of bigger and better seats.

According to Flightstats.com, their flights have arrived on-time roughly 82% of the time.

The Bad

There are a few issues that can become a part of your travels when using American Airlines. When we called in, we had questions about "upping" the liability on your checked baggage. Delta lets you up your baggage liability to $5000, but American Airlines seems to avoid doing this.

Some customers have had problems with American Airlines and their e-vouchers for various types of refunds. On an issued ticket, you cannot apply a voucher to get a refund. If you have no more planned trips for the year, the e-voucher is going to be somewhat useless if you don't use it by its expiration date.

One customer also paid for a seat upgrade, but when they got to the plane, they still found their old seats. The customer found out that they would need to pay more to upgrade their seats again.

One potential issue with the in-flight entertainment options are the planes in which they are available. When researching the AA fleet on their website, the best options for in-flight entertainment are on Boeing planes. Airbus planes have not been upgraded to the fullest extent as have Boeing planes up to this point. If a customer gets on an Airbus, they may have difficulties getting tablets, overhead video, or streaming video. Older Boeing planes are also sometimes lacking similar features for clients as well.

The Bottom Line

We recommend American Airlines because of their top of the line in-flight entertainment, many destinations, and large number of daily flights. Because of their length of time being in business and their recent merger with US Airways and their resources, we feel confident in recommending them as an airline at this time.

Walter Cachia
December 13th, 2018 West Chester, PA DETAILS

From Philly, AA has little or no compatition on some routs. Service is "no frills", bagage charges explotived as are the upcharges for non first class seating. FF miles expire quickly.

Erin MacDonnell
December 13th, 2018 North Haven, CT DETAILS

The staff is very friendly and my flights have been smooth. I wish that they offered a free checked bag like some of the other airlines.

Dee Farquharson
December 11th, 2018 Washington, DC DETAILS

Flight wasn't bad. Staff was very friendly. I was able to upgrade my seating at the gate at the last minute. Suprisingly, the amount to upgrade was very affordable! Also, I liked how they sent clear digital receipts. Even though they are sent in HTML, it still was nice clean interface. Would definitely fly with them again

Grant
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

My family and I went to Chicago last Summer, and the seats were very small and uncomfortable, and the airline flight attendants were not very friendly.

Isabel
December 11th, 2018 Lexington, MA DETAILS

My husband, my 3 year old, my 18 month old baby and I were flying out of Boston to Lima, Peru with a layover in Miami. Our layover was over 3 hours long. The flight was scheduled to depart at 6 pm from Boston. First they told us the flight was 1 hour late. Then they told us will be later since the plane from Philadelphia was taking longer to depart because of the weather in Philadelphia. Eventually the plane arrived but they said there were no crew members available for the flight. When I went to the gate to explain about our connecting flight. The agent decided to reschedule the flight without consulting with me. They decided to reschedule the flight leaving the next day late afternoon after 6 pm with a layover through Dallas. I told them I have a toddler and an infant with me. I can’t stay here overnight with my 2 kids. They said they didn’t want to fly us to Miami since they didn’t want to pay for a hotel in Miami and then told us there were no hotels available in Boston so we couldn’t get a hotel in Boston. They offered us absolutely Nothing while we stayed overnight at the Boston airport. I had to beg a passing mom for some extra diapers for my kids, we had to wait until everything opened to purchase milk for our kids at the airport. American Airlines agents felt no compassion for parents travelling with a toddler and an infant and were so rude to us when we tried to find alternatives to depart Boston to take our first flight to Miami or use a different airline. I begged them to check different airlines but they disregarded our plea and their attitude became ruder if we asked for any other alternatives rejecting everything. We didn’t have the car seats so couldn’t take a taxi from the airport either. Eventually after spending a whole day at the airport at Boston with my toddler and infant, we arrived the next day to Lima, Peru on Saturday instead of Friday morning which was our original arrival date. Our luggage didn’t arrive with us. They didn’t reroute the 4 luggages that we checked in. When we complained to baggage services they told us the luggage will arrive the next day on Sunday Morning and told us that the luggage were in Miami. They told us we would get them the next day in the Morning on Sunday. So at that time we just purchased some of our basic essentials we needed including diapers, wipes, lotions and special formula for our kids. At that time we didn’t even think of getting reimbursed of what we bought since we were told luggage will arrive the next day and we were mainly concerned of getting all the supplies we needed for our kids after the bad nights they spent at the airport for the delayed flights. Then the next day luggage didn’t arrive. We were getting concerned at that point and kept calling the airline since we had another flight leaving Monday Morning from Lima to Cusco, where we planned to spend a week before returning back to Lima. We spent so much time calling them and they kept telling us they are still trying to find the luggage and they couldn’t get a hold of Miami baggage services. So many flights were leaving from Miami to Lima and our luggage were not included in any of those flights. We were without our kids prescription medications and lotions and they developed severe rashes. We left to Cusco without our luggage and purchased some random things that we don’t even know if we can find the receipts in between all our hectic days trying to manage without our belongings. Eventually luggage arrived on Tuesday afternoon to Lima, while we were already in Cusco. Throughout these days all we could get from customer services is to fill a questionnaire and forms while we were on our vacation before they can help us to locate our luggage. We were told they would help us to locate the luggage if we fill those online questionaire. Who has time to do all of that while in a foreign country with 2 kids. They showed lack of compassion and were so rude telling us that after the questionnaire it is at their discretion what they will reimburse us for their mistakes. Of course they require that we find all receipts. Keeping receipts is something you shouldn’t have to worry in addition to managing being in a foreign country for over 3 days without luggage and basic necessities for our kids. Since they blame the delay of the original plane arrival to Boston due to bad weather in Philadelphia, they won’t claim any responsibility for the flight delay. I am sure if their crew members are sick due to the weather, they will also claim weather related issues to avoid taking any responsibility for their mismanagement of our flights and crew members. Their customer service has declined substantially and this is also reflected by the mismanagement of their flights and crew members scheduled in those flights. The greedy attitude that crew members and the airline shows to maximize profit and reduce expenses with disregard of the customers being affected while mistakes are made is so evident in this case and in the hundred of negative reviews that can be found online for American Airlines. Only a parent, grandparent, uncle or aunt would understand that leaving a toddler and infant stranded at an airport overnight is inhumane. The only positive outcome from this experience is the random individuals who we encountered who offered us a couple of diapers at the airport or lend us random pieces of clothes like socks, shoes when my feet started blistering for not wearing appropriate broken in shoes for our hike in Cusco.

Shauna Craig
December 10th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We used American Airlines for our honeymoon trip to Bermuda so it's one of our favorite airlines. The captain wished us a good honeymoon. The flights left relatively timely and the airline served good food compared to other airlines. We made our connection without any problem. The flight attendants were polite and professional.

Hadley
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT

I really enjoyed American Airlines. They had great customer service, and had a good system of getting on and off the plane. They were very organized, and tried to make flying the best experience possible. It was a smooth landing, with very little bumps. Love that they give complementary snacks and soda!

Jami Schmieding
December 11th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

American airlines isnt my favorite airline but i have no complaints. its cheaper then the ones i usually fly soi find myself looking at their prices and going with them more and more each year.

Lauryn
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

just. no. poor customer service, not great quality... i’ve has some experiences and while most were okay at best, others just sucked in general and it’s really not worth it. there’s other airlines more worth your time and money.

Melissa Carreno
December 11th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

American Airlines is one of my favorite airlines to fly. They are clean and friendly, I wish we could carry more cargo with us on the flight, but it's manageable. They have some great deals from time to time!

Tiffany Barton
December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

American Airlines has the best customer service. When a family member of mine past away they worked with me to get an earlier flight while making sure i get to use my miles. Made it a lot easier for me to be with my family and not have to stress. Thank you American Airlines!!!

Linda Quach
December 6th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Good prices- just wish the cancellation process was better- overall good customer service

Katie Kearney
December 6th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS

I have traveled with American Airlines on multiple occasions and have never had an issues. The planes are always clean and I got to my destinations safely so I have no complaints.

Fernando Delgado
December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

Used to used American Airlines every time i fly to Mexico but have stop using after i was late for about 10 minutes to check in and didn't allow us to check after many years not having any problems with it. They told us we had to wait to see if they have a flight available for us the next day or we could fly to the boarder and walk in to the united states. Terrible service and now a lot cheaper flights with competitive airlines now.

HLG
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Pretty average airline from my experience. I use them when I must, but choose better options when I can.

Walter Smith
December 1st, 2018 DETAILS

They have a great staff on board improvement can be in ticket value

Fran P.
December 1st, 2018 DETAILS

I have been flying with AA since 1981. Though the service is good, the size of seats and space between them is getting RIDICULOUS. I am a normal sized woman (size 10) and I find the seats very cramped. If the person seated in front of me puts their seat in recline, there is no room to cross my legs, work on laptop, etc. Taking out at least one row of seats and adding back the inches evenly distributed fron to back would make everyone more comfortable and maybe reduce angry, unhappy passengers. Your overhead bins are very good. Food on international flights needs some serious improvement. How about yogurt and fruit for breakfast instead of the appalling "pizza" before arrival at DFW.

Gianna Valente
December 3rd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

On a trip to see family over Thanksgiving, I was booked for a 5:30 am flight to Charlotte, North Carolina. We got to the airport early-at around 4:00- and saw that the American Airlines ticketing and baggage check was not open but other airlines were. American Airlines opened at 5 and the line was already busy which made waiting in line and waiting in security and going to my gate to get on the flight a close call.

Isaac
December 3rd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

This airline is one of my favorites to fly. They have great customer service and employees. They have an easy to use app that makes the flight a better experience. The airplanes are nice and are comfortable.

Kate Gregson
December 3rd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I flew with American Airlines to Israel and although the flight was long and involved a layover in New Jersey, the whole experience was enjoyable and stress free. I would highly recommend this airline for both domestic and international flights.

Justin Knorr
November 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Occasionally we have had problems with American Airlines running late, but usually they run on time. The planes we fly on often seem older than other airlines, they often have no snacks, and no TV's on flights to the Caribbean, which can be a long flight. The fact that they run on time though makes them a higher choice for us when choosing airlines.

Jobie Goodro
November 30th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

Received a voucher for taking a later flight. It was awesome. Got the later flight free and then another flight as well to somewhere else covered! Great customer service

Arianna
November 26th, 2018 Boston, MA DETAILS

American Airlines is the MOST INEFFICIENT and DISRESPECTFUL airline out there. They are ALWAYS late, and today they got to my limit by canceling my first flight at 3pm for NO REASON AT ALL, they also expected me to get on a different flight to Boston vía FLORIDA. After I discussed for 20 minutes with a very disrespectful customer service assistant she proceeded to give me a ticket to a flight straight to Boston 3 hours later (keep in mind she said several times it wasn’t possible to fly straight to Boston today, disregarding the fact that I paid 700$ in order to fly STARIGHT WITH NO STOPS). The 6pm flight got cancelled after many hours of delay and now they won’t give me my carry on bag which they made me check back, and lithe cherry on top is that they expect me to leave tomorrow to philly and on Tuesday to Boston. Of course I am expected to pay for the hotel because that is the American Airlines way! Do yourself a favor and stay away from this so called airline.

Joseph Welch
November 24th, 2018 DETAILS

The smiles from the ticket handlers, and the announcement of whats going on

Terrence Gray
November 24th, 2018 Woodbridge, VA DETAILS

Good, lower the price for luggage and bigger planes

Jeffrey Salas
November 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I fly mostly with American, fair prices, decent fleet and good staff, cant be mad.

Rachael Kerr
November 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I've flown American Airlines with my family a lot and it's usually a good experience. The flight attendants have always been happy to help and the airline does provide drinks and sometimes a small snack during flights.

Emma Webster
November 21st, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

American Airlines provides a easy, relaxed airline flight with good service and accommodations.

Rischelle Mikkelson
November 15th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

American is a good option for flights, especially when they have some of their good sales. I don’t love that I always have to do connecting flights with them, but the hassle is worth getting the good deals. I also wish they included at least one piece of luggage in their pricing. It’s not very convenient to follow all their different luggage rules - especially on their economy fares. Flight attendants and gate agents have always been pleasant.

Jose J Oliva
November 9th, 2018 Miami, FL DETAILS

I made the reservation at 1.25pm 11/08/2018, to fly on the last flight at 3.36pm, two hours later they put another flight that leaves at 6.35pm, call to change the flight as it is much better to me That hour and I said that it is $ 200.00 dollars for passengers of pain, thief, for a change two hours after the reservation and for a change of schedule the same day on the same date, America Airline loses customer every day and I am one more that loses, in a short time we will see one more time in bankruptcy, for ridicule, for mistreating the client and for thieves

Jill B
November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

They didn't have space for our carry on's so they just checked in our bags for free. We didn't have to worry about them during our layover.

Rachel B
November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

I just flew to California on American and even though I had a connection, the flights were great!

Teri Hatch
November 2nd, 2018 DETAILS

i am a frequent flier and take advantage of my miles for reward travel. They make it easy to fly on miles and have upgraded their lounges. I fly with them exclusively because they are on time and demonstrate good customer service.

Kathy
November 2nd, 2018 DETAILS

Decent flight, good process for boarding to prevent back up.

Sam Ekberg
November 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

American Airlines is a great way to travel. With relatively cheap prices, you can go most anywhere in the country, and out of country!

Randal hyde
November 1st, 2018 Springfield, MO DETAILS

American Airlines has a wide variety of flight times to choose from. I like that they provide basics for free still, like in flight drinks. They aren't the cheapest option, but they provide good service.

Derek G
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Flying with American airlines has been my least favorite experience with any airline. They don't provide any food besides nuts and water, there seats are extremely close together, and the flight attendants seemed grumpy and un-approachable. The plus is that I got where I was going in a quick safe manor.

ally blackhurst
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

American Airlines is affordable and good for last minute flights, but I wouldn’t make it my first choice for flights. It doesn’t have a lot of the amenities that some of the other airlines do. Overall though I wasn’t too disappointed.

Dylan Curtis
October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Flew on this airline a few times. Once was a trip to England with my 2 kids, ages 5 and 2. During the long leg from Atlanta to London my 2 year old began to get fussy and could not be consoled. The airline staff acted very annoyed with me, but I was trying everything. Other than that trip, my experiences have been good with AA.

Mary
October 30th, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

We found cheap tickets with American Airlines which was great. It's just unfortunate that we were treated like we didn't matter because we bought the cheapest tickets. The flights we were originally scheduled for were delayed and then rescheduled. The guy at the desk told my husband, "You bought the cheapest ticket. You should be glad we found you a solution."