American Airlines

American Airlines Logo

5.8

American Airlines

New planes, convenient service, and a world of possibilities.

American Airlines is a major airline that just underwent Chapter 11 reorganization. They merged with US Airways to form one of the largest airline companies ever. They offer 273 destinations in the US, North America, the Caribbean, Europe, South America, and Asia. Its' extensive network is based out of five hubs: Dallas/Fort Worth, JFK in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, and O'Hare. Most of its planes are taken care of at Tulsa International Airport. They belong to the Oneworld airline alliance, working to coordinate services with British Airways, Finnair, Japan Airlines, and others. American Airlines also contracts out its regional air services to Envoy Air, SkyWest, and others. ExpressJet operates its American Eagle carrier brand. When they merged with US Airways, the result was the largest airline in the world. The merger was a good move for these companies, as it helped revitalize a company that had been hampered in recent years with financial issues.

The Good

There are many positive things about flying with American Airlines. They do a pretty good job in terms of in-flight entertainment. On the planes that are fitted with back seat TVs, it is possible to get on-demand entertainment. Planes without this feature allow passengers to check out on-demand tablets for in-flight entertainment needs.

If you are looking to be entertained on one of their flights, you will find the following options:

• 250 movies on international flights and 150 movies on domestic flights
  • Up to 180 TV shows
  • 350 audio sections
  • 18 American Airlines Radio channels
  • Up to 20 games to play.

You can also bring your own device to stream the items above, including laptops, an iPad, the Galaxy Tab, or any device that runs iOS or Android OS 3.2

There is a lot to like about the fact that  American Airlines is continuously upgrading it's fleet. Every week, American Airlines gets at least one new plane. These include Boeing 777-300ERs, Airbus 321s, and Airbus 319s. The old fleet of Boeing 767-300s, and Boeing 777-200s are continuously being upgraded to include lie-flat business class seats and other seating options. The Airbus planes should provide more comfortable seating options for flyers, especially in terms of bigger and better seats.

According to Flightstats.com, their flights have arrived on-time roughly 82% of the time.

The Bad

There are a few issues that can become a part of your travels when using American Airlines. When we called in, we had questions about "upping" the liability on your checked baggage. Delta lets you up your baggage liability to $5000, but American Airlines seems to avoid doing this.

Some customers have had problems with American Airlines and their e-vouchers for various types of refunds. On an issued ticket, you cannot apply a voucher to get a refund. If you have no more planned trips for the year, the e-voucher is going to be somewhat useless if you don't use it by its expiration date.

One customer also paid for a seat upgrade, but when they got to the plane, they still found their old seats. The customer found out that they would need to pay more to upgrade their seats again.

One potential issue with the in-flight entertainment options are the planes in which they are available. When researching the AA fleet on their website, the best options for in-flight entertainment are on Boeing planes. Airbus planes have not been upgraded to the fullest extent as have Boeing planes up to this point. If a customer gets on an Airbus, they may have difficulties getting tablets, overhead video, or streaming video. Older Boeing planes are also sometimes lacking similar features for clients as well.

The Bottom Line

We recommend American Airlines because of their top of the line in-flight entertainment, many destinations, and large number of daily flights. Because of their length of time being in business and their recent merger with US Airways and their resources, we feel confident in recommending them as an airline at this time.

2.8

Bella Houtz
June 13th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

American Airlines is a good solid company. The pricing seems fair. I have had some problems with being on time but that might be the airports problem as much as American Airlines. The employees are always nice and I would use them in the future.

CAROLE SCOVILLE
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I’ve always had good experiences with American Airlines – the employees are nice and helpful especially when traveling with little kids

Kip Fowler
June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have had numerous opportunities to travel with American Airlines. I have never had a bad experience

Madge Easton
June 7th, 2018 Orem, UT

When we flew to Hawaii, we found some really great deals with AA. The lay over was short and the service was good.

Eric
June 6th, 2018 Denver, CO DETAILS

I just wanted to post this because I just got off the phone with American Airlines customer service. My flight cost right under $500 roundtrip with American Airlines. I had to change my flight to the week before due to schedule changes. They charged me $200 just to change some logistics. Also, they charged me the difference of what the flights were (which I was expecting). So, American Airlines charged me over $250 just to change my flight. I would understand this charge if the flight I was switching to was also completely booked or close to booked, but it has the same availability of when I booked it two months ago. I will never in my life fly again with AA because Southwest would have done this easy change for free. It is a shame American Airlines uses the word American with their company because charging someone $800 for a roundtrip in American is the most un-American thing I have ever heard. If you are planning any trip in advance, which almost every does, do not use AA because they do not care one bit about their customers.

June 6th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I like American Airlines. They are dependable, good value for my money and usually on time and great customer service.

Nana Asiata
June 6th, 2018 Herriman, UT DETAILS

Me and my family have only flew American Airlines once, but it was a great one. The staff there was very nice and welcoming to everyone that stepped into their doors.

Amy Crawley
June 5th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

Poor customer service. Poor quality airplanes. Not impressed. I'd rather fly Delta or even United for that matter.

Martha Sensiba
June 4th, 2018 Pinetop-Lakeside, AZ DETAILS

We just returned from a Mediterranean Cruise. We flew to Barcelona and from Rome on American. Both flights were on time and the service was great.

Avery Fowler
May 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have enjoyed my flights with American Airlines. Their customer service was very helpful in rescheduling a flight that I needed to make to catch an earlier flight.

Ashley
May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I’ve Only flown a couple of times on American and both times it was hassle free.

May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I love flying American Airlines who doesn’t love the name American for an airline company! I have never had any issues when I have booked my flight online.

Stacy
May 16th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I've only flown on American Airlines, so keep that in mind (I don't fly often). I had no problems. The flight attendants were great. Prices were fine. No complaints at this point.

Stacy Anderson
May 2nd, 2018 La Cañada Flintridge, CA DETAILS

seat area and restroom cleanliness was poor. more gluten free choices

KP
April 30th, 2018 Fruita, CO DETAILS

Flights were on time, airplane was clean, neighbors were friendly, the food was sparse.

C
April 24th, 2018 San Jose, CA DETAILS

Just not very good service, and they don't have anything that sets them apart. Full disclosure: it's been a while since my last flight.

Larry Hawker
April 24th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

I recently flew to Dallas from Las Vegas. There was a sick young man on board that kept barfing. 8 time. Imagine. I felt bad for the flight attendants, but they were amazingly professional at taking care of the boy. Sometimes, it can be a thankless job, but I would like to say how much most off us business travelers appreciate the customer service!

Jeffrey Foutz
April 23rd, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Never had a flight on time. Delays of 4+ hours for non-weather related issues. The attendants were sub-par. Plane was dirty. Wifi didn't work.

Laurel Van Wagenen
April 17th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I love american airlines. I enjoy the helpful service and the soda and snacks that are served.

Michael
April 16th, 2018 Ogden, UT

American Airlines is very safe and clean

Jeff Martin
April 12th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I enjoyed my flight to Chicago, and then onto North Dakota.

Nathan
April 9th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

It was a decent flight, the only problem was there seemed to be a lot of delays whenever we travel with American Airlines, but other than that it was good.

Katie Murphy
February 6th, 2018 Milwaukee, WI DETAILS

Awful... delay 2 hours ... due to construction at connecting airport... missed connection and American Airlines answer was for us to pay for our own hotel stay, figure out where are luggage was and wait 2 hours to get it.... they were rude, unhelpful and had not one drop of sincere concern for the passengers that pay for their services !

Adolfo Urrutia
January 11th, 2018 Miami, FL DETAILS

Extremely poor customer service. Elite status means close to nothing to them. Require segments for upgrades unlike delta who offers them to all elite flyers. Delta has been overall better but I’m stuck with American Airlines because of their hub in Miami.

Jacinda E
December 15th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

Flown with them once and had a very positive experience.

Suzanna Wootton
December 13th, 2017 Springville, UT DETAILS

I’ve only flown with American Airlines a few times, but they have always treated me kindly and I’ve never had any issues.

Tara Beckert
December 5th, 2017 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

My biggest complaint with this company was the inability to ensure seating when booking a flight. I was able to book seats next to my family on my outgoing flight but somehow was not able to do the same thing on our return flight. The overall flying experience was fine, but I would have liked the ability to book flights next to my family for both flights in the future.

A. Gresbrink
November 30th, 2017 DETAILS

Extremely poor customer service. Never tries to accommodate you. Poor company culture.

Carrie Torres
November 30th, 2017 Tulsa, OK DETAILS

They did a great job with both hospitality and on time arrivals and departures! Travel from Middle USA to Hawaii, perfect. On the way home I took different airlines, not so hot, not at ALL. Service and timelines ranks #1 and I travel a LOT! Fly American Airlines!

Charles Bradley Owens
November 30th, 2017 Tucson, AZ DETAILS

It wasn’t awful. Some of their jets are dated and uncomfortable and their complimentary bag check is total garbage. It’s a business like any other...

Raquel
November 29th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

Never had a problem with American. Each flight has been on time and the crew was great.

Glenn and Cynthia Colby
November 28th, 2017 Arlington, TX DETAILS

Great service, Never delayed. Business class is top quality.

Ilene O'Neal
November 20th, 2017 San Jose, CA DETAILS

Purchase a ticket in August to visit St Crouix, US Virgin Island, but due to severe hurricanes, cancelled trip.It's HELL trying to get funds back.

Jairo Moya

GOOD COMPANY. CLEAN AND CONFORTABLE SPACE IN THE AIRPLANES

Lorraine Fordham
November 20th, 2017 DETAILS

Generally run on time and have good customer service.

Lin Cole
November 20th, 2017 Fresno, CA DETAILS

Pretty dependable, trustworthy, prices however are far too high!

karl Castellanos
November 20th, 2017 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS

ontime if not early most of the time, flights are very smooth

DJG
November 20th, 2017 DETAILS

Best service in an airline with better leg room than any other airline.

Jacob Graham
November 20th, 2017 Chicago, IL DETAILS

Average and just run of the mill nothing special and the employees are not enthusiastic or outgoing

Trina Y
November 20th, 2017 Hyattsville, MD DETAILS

I was very please with the courtesy of the passengers