American Airlines

American Airlines

American Airlines is a major airline that just underwent Chapter 11 reorganization. They merged with US Airways to form one of the largest airline companies ever. They offer 273 destinations in the US, North America, the Caribbean, Europe, South America, and Asia. Its' extensive network is based out of five hubs: Dallas/Fort Worth, JFK in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, and O'Hare. Most of its planes are taken care of at Tulsa International Airport. They belong to the Oneworld airline alliance, working to coordinate services with British Airways, Finnair, Japan Airlines, and others. American Airlines also contracts out its regional air services to Envoy Air, SkyWest, and others. ExpressJet operates its American Eagle carrier brand. When they merged with US Airways, the result was the largest airline in the world. The merger was a good move for these companies, as it helped revitalize a company that had been hampered in recent years with financial issues.

Rank Chart Our Score User Score
#1 8.4 8.8 Read Review
#2 7.7 5.6 Read Review
#3 7.5 8.5 Read Review
#8 6.6 4.7 Current

The Good

There are many positive things about flying with American Airlines. They do a pretty good job in terms of in-flight entertainment. On the planes that are fitted with back seat TVs, it is possible to get on-demand entertainment. Planes without this feature allow passengers to check out on-demand tablets for in-flight entertainment needs.

If you are looking to be entertained on one of their flights, you will find the following options:

• 250 movies on international flights and 150 movies on domestic flights
  • Up to 180 TV shows
  • 350 audio sections
  • 18 American Airlines Radio channels
  • Up to 20 games to play.

You can also bring your own device to stream the items above, including laptops, an iPad, the Galaxy Tab, or any device that runs iOS or Android OS 3.2

There is a lot to like about the fact that  American Airlines is continuously upgrading it's fleet. Every week, American Airlines gets at least one new plane. These include Boeing 777-300ERs, Airbus 321s, and Airbus 319s. The old fleet of Boeing 767-300s, and Boeing 777-200s are continuously being upgraded to include lie-flat business class seats and other seating options. The Airbus planes should provide more comfortable seating options for flyers, especially in terms of bigger and better seats.

According to Flightstats.com, their flights have arrived on-time roughly 82% of the time.

The Bad

There are a few issues that can become a part of your travels when using American Airlines. When we called in, we had questions about "upping" the liability on your checked baggage. Delta lets you up your baggage liability to $5000, but American Airlines seems to avoid doing this.

Some customers have had problems with American Airlines and their e-vouchers for various types of refunds. On an issued ticket, you cannot apply a voucher to get a refund. If you have no more planned trips for the year, the e-voucher is going to be somewhat useless if you don't use it by its expiration date.

One customer also paid for a seat upgrade, but when they got to the plane, they still found their old seats. The customer found out that they would need to pay more to upgrade their seats again.

One potential issue with the in-flight entertainment options are the planes in which they are available. When researching the AA fleet on their website, the best options for in-flight entertainment are on Boeing planes. Airbus planes have not been upgraded to the fullest extent as have Boeing planes up to this point. If a customer gets on an Airbus, they may have difficulties getting tablets, overhead video, or streaming video. Older Boeing planes are also sometimes lacking similar features for clients as well.

The Bottom Line

We recommend American Airlines because of their top of the line in-flight entertainment, many destinations, and large number of daily flights. Because of their length of time being in business and their recent merger with US Airways and their resources, we feel confident in recommending them as an airline at this time.

174 American Airlines Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

August 20th, 2017

I've had issues with American before and vowed I would never fly them again. After over 2 years, I decided to give them one more chance. That chance was undeserved. They disappointed me yet again. I used points to buy a first class flight to splurge while on vacation. I chose a specific 6:30 to 11 am flight since I was meeting my family in Tampa and we were renting a car together. I received no communication about the flight and decided to call in at 4:30 am to check in. It was at that time that I found out my flight had been cancelled and rescheduled to 10:30 am. Apparently the flight crew needed rest. I called into reservations and was told that my convenient morning flight has been changed to a 10:30 to 8:30 pm flight. The worst part is that the agent made it seem like they were doing me a favor. I told her the new flight didn't work. I was then downgraded to regular class on an earlier flight with no option of getting refunded. I asked the woman on the phone to double check there was no first class seats available on the 6 am flight. Of course I later came to found out seats were available but the agent was too lazy to check. Everything has to be done online after the fact with no guarantee of resolution. I tried to contact American once i came home but they didn't even try to fix their complete lack of customer service. There was no real attempt to remedy the situation, the people are not friendly and the savings are not worth the hassle. My return flight went without a glitch. Unfortunately, based on this experience and previous experiences, I just wont be flying with American anymore.

June 29th, 2017

I purchased a flight traveling on military orders through American Airlines from Virginia to Frankfurt. Through AA special services, I arranged for my emotional support companion( a cat), to accompany me. Flight was delayed, connection missed, and I was rerouted through London. I called special assistance twice and spoke to a manager asking for assistance. I was told 3 times all was fine. When we arrived in London, I was detained, and British Agents took my cat to Quarantine. It took 10 hours to sort out. Thank you for asking.

1 0

June 28th, 2017

I wish #AmericanAirlines would provide cultural sensitivity training for their crew members. In Charlotte, NC, a passenger asked the stewardess (ginger hair with glasses who sat on the crew Row 9 window seat) if a woman carrying a baby wearing a hijab was Muslim. The stewardess replied, "Yes, just my luck to have Muslims on my flight." Such unprofessional, bigoted behavior in a service position is totally unacceptable. I was horrified as I am sure the Muslim lady heard the exchange. I'm writing a letter of complaint. That statement was totally uncalled for. Shame on her for such uncouth, bad manners.

June 28th, 2017

American Airlines is by far the worst airline. It took 4 days to get me and my nephews luggage while we were on vacation in P.R. They were less than sympathetic and hard to get any information about the whereabouts of our bags. Ruined the beginning of our vacation.

June 28th, 2017

As a Platium Advantage Member I am made to feel special 9 out of 10 times when I call the Platium Desk. That is as close to perfect as one gets.

June 28th, 2017

Our flight from Miami to London Heathrow was full but the service in Business class was good and efficient however the cabin was relatively new but could have been cleaner. I can supply a photo?

June 19th, 2017 Portland, OR

American Airlines last week refused to cancel our flight, just kept changing our gate number and telling us different things. Some employees were saying there were no crews to load luggage or fly, some were telling us to not get in line for customer service because our flight was going to start boarding as soon as they finished cleaning the plane, so don't book a new flight, and some said there wouldn't be any flights that night. It took five hours by the time AA actually cancelled our flight, and by then all hotels were full in the area from all the cancelled flights. We rebooked on a different airlines, and AA said we could pick up our luggage in baggage claim. So we left the secure area of the airport to go stand in a long line of angry AA customers trying to get luggage. There we were informed our luggage already left on a flight. How? No planes had left. And can airlines do that? Send our luggage without us? So we had to call customer service. We were told our bags would arrive in Portland and be put in a secure area until we arrived the next day. So no hotel and now no luggage. We couldn't get back through security until it opened at 330am. We were traveling with a 2 year old. Fun times in the airport. The next day I tried tracking our luggage online and it said it was enroute to Portland. Weird. It was enroute 12 hours ago... talked to a real person who said our luggage left our current airport an hour ago. So we were lied to the night before. Our luggage was in the airport with us, but they hadn't wanted to give it to everyone. We could have had a change of clothes and toothbrushes! American Airlines, you fail at taking care of your customers. Poor weather happens, but you did not deal with it well.

June 17th, 2017 Saint Louis, MO

First leg of flight unable to deplane due to lateness of previous flight. Crew did not allow for people with connections to get off cirst. Ran through terminals to be told at gate we could not get on because the door was closed. Actualky wayched luggave being loaded and planne sat 10 more minutes. Put on next flight and was stuck on plane for 4 hours before being taken back to gate because other airport closed? At this point I was given a room and 12 dollar food voucher.and put on fligbt the next day. 12 dollars? Every flight way over booked. By the time all was said and done, I lost a whole day, pribably 100. Extra expense. Azked for my extra day of parking to be paid and was told no. It was not just me. Hundreds of us on this day. Never agai. AMERICAN Airlines.

June 13th, 2017 Sandy, UT

I used to fly American Airlines exclusively, but due to less then high quality airplanes and services, I have been choosing other airlines

June 10th, 2017 Orem, UT

I fly from utah to PR every year to see my children and grandchildren, most times i fly american, the reason being the cost and the convenient times. also they seen to arrive at the destination when promised,

June 8th, 2017 Sandy, UT

Overall, quality of American Airlines has decreased. I have been a long time customer until the last couple of years. Smallest seats and so cramped. The plans are up. Not upgraded at all. Fees are so high if you ever have to change your flight.

June 7th, 2017 Leesburg, VA

I absolutely love American Airlines. When I have had to use the customer service, they are so polite that I feel like I am in the south getting southern hospitality on every call.

June 2nd, 2017

American Airlines cancelled our flight to Spain because of a minor mechanical issue. They delayed the cancellation after delaying the flight 3 times and by that time there were no other flights. We had to go home and leave 24 hours later. We lost $$$$ on reservations in Europe, we lost 2 days of dream vacation, and we didn't get business class seats we used over 500,000 to get. My husband is very tall and doesn't fit in coach seats. His ankles swelled from being upright all night, and he had trouble walking the entire vacation. It impacted the whole trip in a negative way because of AA's actions. To date there has not been monetary compensation or a return of ANY miles!

June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I have been pretty unhappy with customer service with American Airlines. I think there are unnecessary fees and I don't feel like they really care to make their customers happy. Prices are usually high and I rarely can find a good deal with AA. I think some bettering of their customer service could do the company good.

June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I would say American is a choice I make when their prices are better than other airlines. While they are not the worst, they are certainly not the best. I feel like they pack passengers in like sardines, and offer the driest snacks possible. The last time I rode American, someone next to me ate the smelliest food ever. While I can't really blame the company for the atrocity that was happening next to me, it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

May 29th, 2017

Company like American Airlines are the worst. It's one thing to have flight delayed due to maintenance and another one due to maintenance. Our flight is only 4 hours. It took us 12 hours to get home. We had to get different flight due to delay and missing our connecting flight because of the company. They over booked. I will used other Airlines due to this experience. The worst day ever.

May 28th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Having kids of my own, I can appreciate good entertainment options while flying!

May 23rd, 2017 Raleigh, NC

I booked a flight for my brother to travel from New York to Raleigh NC May 29th returning May 31st.I realized last evening that I made a mistake. I had booked the ticket Raleigh to New York round trip. I called American Airlines to see what they could do to help. they told me my ticket is non refundable. If your brother would like to travel from NY to Raleigh May 29th it would cost $446.00. I was going back and forward with them all day. American Airlines offered me $177 towards a future flight. I refused the offer. I'll never ever use them again.

May 23rd, 2017

The flight attendants goes above and beyond to let my flight be enjoyable and stress free. I greatly appreciate thier time and effort into making me and everyone on our flight have a great flight.

May 17th, 2017 Rogers, AR

In 2016 we had a fiasco with AA with multiple canceled and redirected flight which ended up with our luggage in one city, and us in another. We had to drive 2 hours to retrieve it so we could continue to our next destination. After fighting with AA for several months, they issued us a voucher for our next flight. In 2017, we used that voucher in January to book a May 20 flight to NYC. On may 16 I downloaded their app to have boarding passes ready and noticed the seat assignments had changed. Instead of row 13 together with my wife, we were in 21 & 22 middle... opposite sides of the aisle. And return flight went from row 13 together (PAID PREFERRED) to row 24 together. Contacted AA to resolve the situation, and they informed me they sent MULTIPLE emails... none of which I received. Verified the 2 email addresses they had were still valid and when I asked why they sent 'multiple' the response was 'because you didnt respond'. On May 10, I received a flight change notice for another flight I have this year.... there is nothing in that email indicating a response is required. So to remedy this situation, all American had to do, was to place my wife & I in empty seats in row 16, and waive the $40 fee for those seats. They however refused to to this, requiring instead that we pay the fee. For the back side, they told us to rebook preferred and then we could request a REFUND of the fee we already paid. Bottom line, they screwed up, they moved us randomly and the correction lies on the consumer.... all over a $40 extra fee. After 45 minutes on the phone with no luck, and several tweets and messages.... no change. I then reached out to the travel agent who booked our European vacation, but NOT this leg of the trip. She called AA, and within 30 minutes had us in row 17, without additional fees, on either leg. Why these airlines seem to think it is ok to screw over their customers, is beyond me. A simple - I'm sorry about the inconvenience, let me put you in the seat and waive the fee.... and there was NO ISSUE. Instead, HOURS wasted because of their inability to effectively manage travel.