Allegiant Air Logo

6.3

Founded in 1997, Allegiant Air is devoted to making travel affordable and hassle-free. Flying to over 100 destinations across the United States, it links small U.S. cities to popular, world-class destinations including Las Vegas, Honolulu, Los Angeles, Palm Beach, New Orleans, Orlando, and San Francisco.

With certification from the U.S. Department of Transportation granting the title of a Scheduled Air Carrier, Allegiant has authority to fly scheduled and charter airline operations all across the United States. Charter services are also authorized in Canada and Mexico. Employees of Allegiant are the heart of the company and receive specialized training that meets all requirements necessary to ensure security, safety, and operations.

View Best Airlines

Delta Airlines Logo
#2 Delta Airlines chevron_right
JetBlue Logo
#3 JetBlue chevron_right

The Good

• Charter Options
  • Canceled and Delayed Flight Assistance

Charter Options

One of the most notable features of Allegiant Airlines is the option to charter a plane.

What does that mean, exactly?

When you charter an aircraft, you are basically having your flying experience tailored to your own personal wants and needs. Charter customers rent the entire plane and pay for that plane to be repositioned to their desired location. This service is available in the United States, Canada and Mexico.

Customers can select the aircraft type, airports, departure times, and snacks. The snack menu contains over 15 items including Pringles, Blue Diamond Wasabi Almonds, Smoked Gouda Cheese Dip, a hummus snack pack, and more. The beverage menu is also plentiful and offers more than 10 sodas, juices, and teas and about 10 alcoholic beverages as well. Of course a service as elaborate as this one costs more than purchasing a standard ticket; charter rates are determined by scheduling and availability and include all taxes, baggage fees, airport services, snacks and beverages. Exact costs can be figured by contacting the airline's Charter Division.

Canceled and Delayed Flight Assistance

Allegiant Air is not responsible for refunding canceled or delayed flights; however, a positive, helpful policy it does have is that an Allegiant Air representative will assist travelers in finding discounted rates at nearby hotels if a cancellation does occur. If this unfortunate circumstance happens to take place in your travels, then you will at least have some piece of mind knowing that a well-informed Allegiant employee will be there to help minimize cost and inconvenience.

The Bad

• Destinations
  • No Free Snacks
  • In-Flight Amenities
  • No Rewards Program
  • Expensive Insurance

Destinations

One downside to flying Allegiant Air is that only offers scheduled operations within the United States. Even though quite a few domestic US destinations are available, options are limited when considering destinations worldwide.

No Free Snacks

Looking forward to a soda and bag of peanuts? You're out of luck with this airline. Allegiant does provide complimentary snacks and beverages. They are strictly available for purchase. Additionally, Allegiant offers no meal service on any flight, including charter flights. Snack and beverage menus offer a great variety, but snacks just aren't the same as a full-fledged meal.

In-Flight Amenities

In-flight entertainment and Wi-Fi availability are two more crowd-pleasing features that Allegiant does not provide at this time.

No Rewards Program

Frequent travelers appreciate the ability to earn frequent flier rewards, a service Allegiant has yet to offer.

The best way to learn of current promotions is to follow Allegiant on Facebook and Twitter. Individuals can also subscribe to the company's email list to receive alerts on discounted fares and other special offers.

Expensive Insurance

While it's great that Allegiant offers any travel insurance, the cost to benefit ratio is a little off. A bit pricier than other airlines, Allegiant travelers may protect themselves from fees accrued due to changes and/or cancellations by purchasing TripFlex for $75 per passenger. This feature allows customers to make a one-time change to date, flight or destination for no change or cancellation fees, where other travel insurance policies allow for multiple changes at a lower cost.

The Bottom Line

It's true that Allegiant Air can get the job done and fly you from A to B; there is nothing horrible to report on the airline. Still, its services are just average and don't exactly have us on the edge of our seats. Other airlines offer more features and amenities, often at a lower cost to you.

View Best Airlines

3.7

Shauna Horne American Fork, UT

We flew on Allegiant Air a few years ago. We were looking for a budget friendly option so we could take our family on a memorable vacation. Allegiant Air was a great option for us because of their excellent prices. Our flight was on time and when I had to make a change the person I talked with was very helpful. We would fly with Allegiant Air again.

michelle Tucson, AZ

FIRST TIME TRAVELING WITH ALLEGIANT AIR, IT WAS A GREAT EXPERIENCE. I purchased the ticket 2 hours before it departed for a cheaper price than another ticket I had purchased with Delta with 3 weeks notice, same route Montana to Arizona. The flight was short @ 2 hours, direct, no stops or layovers. The pilot was a woman, quick and to the point. The staff were comical and courteous. The landing was right on time. Could not have been a better experience. Sincerely, Michelle

Elizabeth Norton ,

Allegiant is the best airline for cheap flights. However, they are also very unreliable and I've known several people, myself included, who had cancelled or delayed flights with Allegiant. If you want cheap flights and are flexible about arriving or leaving on time, they are a great option. If you are in a time crunch though and you have to leave or be back at a certain time, it may not be worth the risk. The plane is also very tiny and the seats are uncomfortable. But, if it's just a short flight then it's not a huge deal. I will say, when my flight was delayed and then cancelled with them, I was put in a hotel by them and given food vouchers to use at the hotel. I would still fly with them again.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Allegiant Air is a robust, full service airline that takes care of its passengers better than most other airlines. They have tremendous customer service and they offer the best rates. Fees are also kept at a minimum. They are prompt and professional and I will always choose them as my previous flights with them have been trouble free.

Barbara Matula Gulfport, MS

I work with Allegiant on a daily basis booking for customers. The website is easily navigated,customer service is always great,and I love the ease of the website. I also love that they have included Nashville to their area now

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

The price of Allegiant Air is very hard to argue with, but it is a little frustrating to have to pay for every little thing. But, if you're traveling light, it's the way to go for sure. They are usually a little late whenever I've flown on them, but they always alerted me when that was the case. Of course it would be so nice if they could fly out of more airports and on more days, but all in all, you just can't argue with the price!

Hannah Pleasant Grove, UT

I love Allegiant. The fact that I can fly from Provo to Phoenix to visits my grandparents for $110 round-trip really makes for five stars, in my book. They are bare-bones and the planes are small, but if you know what to expect (aka everything costs extra), you'll be pleased as punch.

Eli Alanis

Excellent and friendly customer service. The airline staff treats all passengers with respect. They staff is very polite and if a passengers any questions,the will gladly answer them professionally. The flight attendants are very friendly and helpful. I recommend this airline.

Nichole Davidson Sandy, UT

Fantastic prices! I lived in Las Vegas and always found great priced flights home (smaller airport in WA) - I even found a flight for $19 (excluding tax) each way, no joke! I doubt you can find those prices anymore, but they're still some of the best around. Only catch is that these flights are usually to smaller airports which doesn't always work for where you want to go. This also means smaller planes and, if on a popular flight, is often booked solid. It's not a comfortable flight, but no other airline's experience is worth doubling or even tripling my ticket price.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I have flown on Allegiant Air many times and they make it affordable for me to follow my children to their sporting events, or just go on a vacation. They fly to all of the places I go to and their prices are the best in the business, especially if I am flexible with my dates and do it ahead of time. The flights have always been on time and the customer service is great as well.

Ashley Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I love to fly Allegiant out of Provo Utah. I play volleyball and a lot of our tournaments are in Arizona so it is very convenient and inexpensive to fly Allegiant Air. You are allowed 1 carry on item and the seats are big enough that I can put my things in front of me under the seat. I love that I don't have to go all the way to Salt Lake to catch my flight too. The employees look like they really enjoy their job so it makes it fun to fly with them!

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

I could not ask for a better economic answer to an airline for our families needs. We live close to the Provo airport and can fly to AZ almost any day of the week for around $60 and sometimes cheaper. I love the LA flight from Provo as well to leave on a Friday and be back early Monday morning is incredible! I have never been delayed either! I've always arrived on time.

Jamie Gilbert, AZ

Allegiant has been so convenient as it flies out of an airport right by our house. Every time I want to fly my kids somewhere I check allegiant then check a few other airlines just to make sure I’m getting the best deal, and even with paying for the luggage they have always been significantly cheaper than any other airlines I check! My kids have flown alone and have had great experiences. You don’t get a free drink, but they will give you some water! The whole experience is more relaxing then when I go to the big airports.

Tami Allen Gilbert, AZ

I use Allegiant mostly to fly to see my daughters who live in Utah. I live in Phoenix, so it's just a short flight, but so convenient and a good value for the money. Allegiant is a discount airline, and I save about $100 by using them over other airlines. They do charge extra for checked bags, or if you want to pick your seat, but I don't find the costs to be that much more than any other airline. They have a well trained staff who are polite and kind, and I've never had any issues with a plane being cancelled or late. In fact, most of the time I get to my destination on time or earlier than scheduled. I'm grateful for the lower fares and the convenience that Allegiant provides.

Nicole LeBaron Provo, UT

I’ve only used allegiant air for shorter trips that or only about an hour to 2 hours away from my home. It’s definitely a cheaper airline. You are charged to pay for a carry-on because it doesn’t include it in your ticket. It’s a great airline for small weekend trips, but for longer trips that require more clothing items, I would look for a different airline.

Randal hyde Springfield, MO

This is a great airline for cheap flights. It works well with where I live, there are flights that go to places that I want to go to. Things have always gone smooth when I fly with them.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

Allegiant Air is the only airline that flies into my hometown of Provo, Utah, and I love them for that. I have flown many times on Allegiant and they have been wonderful. They also fly where I want to go and very good rates especially in the middle of the week.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

Very cheap airlines to get to a few places. Living in the Utah area, I am able to fly Allegiant Air to places like Arizona very cheap. I always check Allegiant Air flights first when I'm flying to certain areas in the Western United States because I know I will save money.

Justin Vance Lehi, UT

I feel like they meet a need for the person flying into their destinations for quick trips, little luggage, and just want to avoid longer drive times. The prices are cheap so you need to go into the flight not expecting much more than a seat. I've had good experiences so far.

Kimberly Bronson Idaho Falls, ID

We love have Allegiant Air in our town. It makes our quick hops to Arizona or California a breeze. I am just not impressed with the hidden fee’s and add ons. I wish they just had a set price and were upfront with everything. Seats are miserable - but flight is usually short.

Tara Beckert Saratoga Springs, UT

I loved flying with Allegiant. The staff was friendly and professional. We even forgot to pay for parking on our car before going through security and had a staff member come walk us back through security to take care of it. The process from booking a flight to the actual flight was a pleasant experience.

Alex Rogerson Saratoga Springs, UT

Pros: Cheapest airline, easy to book Cons: Traveling to and from small airports often turns into a delayed flight during the winter months. They also don't allow any free baggage or free snacks on the plane. Everything costs money. The planes are very small and a pretty rough ride. They also only fly on certain days, so it can be hard to book a flight if you are on a set schedule. Overall, if your schedule is flexible and you don't mind the small airports, Allegiant is a great airline!

Lindsey Andersen Provo, UT

I love the low prices and the fact that they service a regional airport just minutes from my home. The only drawbacks are how much they charge for even a carry-on bag, choosing a seat, etc - but if you can get away with not doing those, you save a ton of money. Another problem is that if there is a delay, they often have to fly in another plane, and you wait for 8 hours - so it isn't very reliable. But if you are not on a time crunch, and ARE on a money crunch, Allegiant is absolutely the way to go!!

Becky Lloyd Gilbert, AZ

I like their prices for last minute and quick trips. They do nickel and dime everything they can so you have to plan your trip well with them. On our last flight I was by myself with my four and two year old kids and the flight attendant gave us free M&Ms which my kids loved. They do tend to run late and in winter cancel flights.

Kari Staheli

I like Allegiant Air, they provide good affordable travel. I used Allegiant on my last trip from Provo, Ut to San Fransisco, CA. It was a pleasant quick flight. I like how they have you board from the font and the back of the plane so it makes boarding much faster and gets you on your flight quicker. I don't however like baggage fee.

Emily Norton Tucson, AZ

I love using Allegiant for flights from Arizona to Utah! Flights are cheap, the airports are small so you don’t have to worry about finding the right terminal, and they have great customer service! I had a flight cancel and not only did they get me on the next available flight, but they gave me a travel voucher as well.

KayCee Belka Derby, KS

We have always been impressed with Allegiant Air as a budget airline. I will start by saying that we have had a time or two where we have had delayed flights, but overall, we have had a wonderful experience with this airline. They are affordable, offer good customer service, have pleasant staff, and they support the military community. They have a smaller selection of airports they fly from, but we are fortunate that they fly from our local airport. We will continue to utilize this airline in the future.

Jennifer Gilbert, AZ

I’ve flown allegiant air a number of different times and have never had a problem. They have always been on time and the flight has been very comfortable with zero to no turbulence. Check in and check out has been very easy and I love the airport in Mesa. The security area is small but i’ve always felt very safe. Allegiance prices are very reasonable and I wish they flew to Moeur destinations. I will say I would not book a hotel through them. If you cancel or cannot make your stay at the hotel allegiant will not refund you your money.

P Crawley Pleasant Grove, UT

My daughter just flew on Allegiant from Provo to Mesa to visit her cousin. It was cheaper than other airlines, left from an airport closer to our house and was a safe way for her to get there. We would choose them for our air travel any time they are flying where we need to go.

August Moulton Lehi, UT

For a budget airline, I have been so impressed with this airline. I wouldn’t recommend them for a long flight (over 4 hours) as the seats on my fight didn’t recline and it’s difficult to sit so straight for so long (especially pregnant). But for a quick haunt to the next city or neighboring state, the prices can’t be beat.

Kymberlee Yack Orem, UT

my favorite thing about Allegiant is that it’s convenient for me. first off, the Provo airport only does Allegiant and I live in Orem so it’s way more convenient than having to drive up to Salt Lake. second, they always have such cheap flights which I LOVE!

Sierra Dixon Gilbert, AZ

My flight was fast and on time and super cheap. It also flew right to my destination which saved a lot of time and money. Service and people were fantastic. Security was quick and easy but still thourough. Took a while to get our bags. But overall good experience.

Brinly Harward American Fork, UT

The times that I have flown with Allegiant Air have been okay. We made it to our destination a lot sooner than we excepted which has been nice because we aren't on the plane as long as we anticipated. The flights seemed to be really rocky as we hit a lot of turbulence. The stewardess' have been very kind when we have had complications with seating.

Emma Garcia Mesa, AZ

Recently discovered Allegiant on our family trip from Mesa/Phoenix to Oakland. The value can’t be beat, and the service was great. We paid for four round trip tickets what we would otherwise pay for two. They’re timely and no frills, and I hope to fly with them soon again.

Marci Schramm Salem, UT

It is so nice to fly out of Provo, Utah. You get a really good price usually. Once we got stuck in San Diego, but they put us up in a nice hotel. No transportation to the hotel. We got vouchers for a future flight but were unable to use because of scheduling difficulties and Allegiant stopped servicing Provo to San Diego and Provo to San Francisco. I wish they would offer more flights out of Provo.

Zachary Clement Lindon, UT

Admittedly, I only fly Allegiant because it’s the only airline that flies to my city. But flying on it has been a good experience. Both times I’ve flown, the staff were nice, boarding was simple, and the plane landed early. The only thing I don’t like about Allegiant is that it only flies once a day, but that problem probably won’t be solved until there is more demand.

stevey shumway Orem, UT

Allegiant gets the job done. This is an affordable airline but the flights are almost never on time. Do not expect anything amazing from this airline,. I have flown with them several times and have had an average experience every time. If you are looking for a cheap basic flying experience Allegiant Air will do the job fine.

Amanda Colley ,

Our flight was originally delayed by 15 minutes. As the delay stretched longer and longer, no one could officially tell us what was going on or how long we would wait, only that they would not give any refunds but that we could transfer flights to another day without penalty. However in order to even do that, we would have to leave to go to the ticketing office, which was outside the TSA security checkpoint. TSA had left by then (with stancheons up that prevented anyone from leaving), so our fear was that of we left, and didn't get rebooked, we couldn't come back and wait for our current flight since there was no security left. We waited for over 2 hours with no information. Eventually we were told that we would be leaving FOUR hours late. We eventually did, but after asking what would happen since we would arrive in Sanford five hours before the rental car agency counter opened (or three hours after it closed), we were told that we would just have to wait or ask them when we got there. When we got there there were no employees of allegiant there to ask so we asked the allegiant luggage check in supervisor, who was working with departing flights and she said she was just contracted through allegiant (though she had an allegiant shirt on and was working at an allegiant counter) and that I had to contact allegiant customer care...which was closed then since it was 4 am. She also said we would have to wait for five more hours for our rental car and there was nothing she could do even though we booked the car through allegiant. At least the rental car agency was open and had good customer service (unlike allegiant) and we didn't have to camp out for five additional hours. We heard no updates until we has already been sitting there for hours. And even when we had an update, we were never, to this day, provided with an explanation. Terrible, terrible customer service. We were there with a friend who was waiting for over 6 hours for her flight to St. Petersburg FL. This is not a stand-alone incident.

Karen S Priest Pleasant Grove, UT

Allegiant is an in expensive way to travel and a great alternative to the big airlines. They are limited in the lanes they fly but are good at the ones they do.

Kaleb Herbert Gilbert, AZ

I flew allegiant from Phoenix to Utah and Phoenix to Idaho Falls. I hate that everything costs extra even a carry on. It is perfect for a short overnight trip that you don't need a lot of luggage. Flights are cheap, but you can only fly on certain days of the week. I would fly again.

Jess Root Gilbert, AZ

You know what you're getting. Cheaper than almost all other airlines and it flies out of the nearest airport, but there is nothing extra. You want anything other than a flight, it costs you.

Logan Hudson Norcross, GA

I frequently use Allegiant to visit my Dad. The attendants are fun and helpful. The flights are enjoyable and very well priced. I have not had any bad experiences while flying with Allegiant.

Mariana Linares , NC

While the airline experience may not be amazing, the prices for Allegiant are so cheap that it makes up for everything. The value is amazing if you are trying to get from point A to point B on a budget. The one downside is that you do have to pay additional fees for baggage, so be smart about how you pack.

Mickey Mangum Long Beach, MS

Allegiant is now in Gulfport, MS which is great. They have really good prices on flights to Orlando from MS. I have found the quality of the planes to be fine the service was great and the staff friendly. I would use them again no problem.

Diamond Collins Jacksonville, FL

I have been riding Allegiant Air since I was a child and I have never had an unsatisfactory experience. The staff treats their customers with care and continuously checks up on them.

ave Pleasant Grove, UT

Small planes, up charges on seating and any baggage. What seems like a good deal on a ticket, doesn't turn out to be when you add all of these together. Also, the flights only are on specific days. So if you need to be somewhere on a certain day, this probably isn't the airline for you. The one thing I do like is that the airport is close to where I live.

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

I have flown many times on Allegiant and I always get a little better experience than I planned on. They fly where I need to go, the price is right and you pay for what you want and need. I think they are awesome!

Rachel Ellsworth Gilbert, AZ

I am very grateful for Allegiant Airlines! This is the airline that I use to fly from Provo, UT (where I attend school) to Mesa, AZ (where my family lives). Allegiant’s low prices have made it possible for me to fly home and see my family every month!

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

Allegiant is my go to airline. They fly out of Provo, Utah and that makes it easier. I know that they are priced right and still provide good service and they are safe and trustworthy and get me to my destination on time.

Amanda Olsen Eagle Mountain, UT

Love flying Allegiant Air. Affordable prices and great locations. Seats are comfortable and clean. Staff is friendly and very accommodating. We arrived to our destination on time.