Alaska Airlines

Alaska Airlines Logo

6.2

Alaska Airlines

Get places with 25,000 bonus miles.

Alaska Airlines is the seventh largest major carrier in the United States, in terms of passenger traffic. The company offered its service as Alaska Airlines for the first time in 1944, but the airline has its origins in McGee Airways, a company that was formed in 1932. Even though Alaska Airlines suggests that they only service the northernmost destination in the United States, Alaska Airways has over 100 destinations in the 48 contiguous states, Canada, Mexico, and four of the Hawaiian Islands. In fact, they have its largest hub at the Seattle-Tacoma Airport. Alaska Airlines also does well with customer satisfaction. For the seventh year in the row, JD Power and Associates ranked Alaska Airlines as the highest in customer satisfaction in 2014. While Alaska Airlines maintains independence from the major airline alliances, it does have codeshare agreements with some of the major airlines, including Delta and British Airways.

The Good

• Incentive program
  • Interent
  • Pricing
  • Food and beverage
  • Entertainment
  • On-time percentage

First of all, we really liked Club 49, the incentive program for customers who were flying to and from Alaska. Every year, Club 49 members get a certificate for 30% off a one-way flight to or from Alaska. You also get two free checked bags with Alaska Airlines, as well as exclusive deals. We reviewed other major carriers, such as Hawaiian Airlines, and couldn't find a similar rewards program.

We found that the Gogo Internet service with Alaska Airlines was affordable. A similar carrier that we reviewed, Hawaiian Airlines, did not have Wi-Fi in the bulk of its planes as of this time.

We found that prices were a little high across the board with a few exceptions. A one-way ticket from Seattle to Las Vegas cost $99. Alaska Air also expedites the baggage claim process. If your luggage is not at the claim within 20 minutes, you can get a $25 voucher to use towards your next ticket.

We also felt like Alaska Airlines did a good job of providing affordable food and beverages to its coach customers. Most of the meals that we saw for coach clients were priced from $6 to $7, which is slightly cheaper than some of the other carriers we reviewed. However, we did find that Hawaiian Airlines offers free meals for flights that are longer than six hours, something that Alaska does not have. Starbucks Coffee is also available on Alaska Airlines as part of their complimentary beverage service.

We had some questions during our phone-in about the in-flight tablet rental. Initially we weren't sure if movies cost extra, but through our conversation we found out they were included with the rental. We liked how the R-rated movies were edited for the presence of younger customers.

According to Flightstats.com, Alaska Airlines flights are on-time roughly 86%. This is above average when compared to select other top airlines.

The Bad

• Oversized customers clause
  • Rewards plan
  • Planes

We took some offense to the "oversized customers" clause of Alaska Airlines' seating policy. We felt like some overweight or larger customers may be turned off by the tone of language on the part of their website. It also emphasized that Alaska Airlines has the right to re-seat a client or boot them from a flight if they hadn't booked a second seat. Delta made it somewhat easier for customers and even suggested that a first class seat might be better for a "larger" customer. We would like to see Alaska Airlines be a little bit more sensitive to the needs of its larger customers and make it easier for them to purchase a second seat while reminding them that they are still valued customers.

We did have some concerns with the two-year activity clause on the mileage reward plan. One customer did have a complaint about the inactivity on their account leading to its deactivation.

We also had some concerns with the lack of wide-body planes. The Boeing 737, while a comfortable plane, lacks the comfort of larger Airbuses and larger Boeing aircraft, such as the 767.

The Bottom Line

We recommend Alaska Airlines wholeheartedly. We also liked the fact that while their planes didn't have TVs on each seat, they made it possible for customers to access great movies and other options via an affordable tablet. Another great feature of this company was that they want customers to get their baggage quickly at the claim, offering a $25 voucher if the bags are not off the plane within 20 minutes.

Bella Houtz
June 13th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I have used Alaska Airlines for years when my family goes to Hawaii. The pricing is the best and they have plenty of flights to chose from. They seem to be on time and they are friendly.

Sadie Scoville
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

The flight attendants are really nice to us and get us whatever we need.

H Moore
June 11th, 2018 Lehi, UT

My daughter's volleyball team flies Alaska Airlines when they travel to Washington or Oregon. The employees are friendly and helpful, and the planes are clean.

Kip Fowler
June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have flown Alaska Airlines many times. I had one bad experience where they measured my luggage and said it was too big and charged me a crazy amount of money. They later refunded me after I had to complain

Easton Fowler
June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

This company had great service when I flew out to Hawaii with my uncle. The seating was better then expected and the coustomer service was the best I've ever had. Overall great experience

June 6th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Good airline, but I think it is overpriced and not flying where I want to go. I do hear customer service is great

Nana Asiata
June 6th, 2018 Herriman, UT DETAILS

The pricing is low which is good, and the seats on our trip were very comfortable. The snacks were great and so were the flight attendance.

Avery Fowler
May 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I was impressed with the seating configuration of the plane. Plenty of room!

Ashley
May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We took Alaska airlines because it was a cheaper flight but it ended up being a much longer trip out of Salt Lake City.

May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have only flown a couple of times with this airline, I wish there were more direct flights out of Salt Lake City.

Barbara Norris
May 18th, 2018 Heber, UT DETAILS

I have had to cancel a flight two different times due to unexpected health trouble. They were courteous and understanding, each time giving me a credit to use on a future flight. When I did make the roundtrip flight, it was pleasant in every regard.

Julia
May 16th, 2018 Soda Springs, ID DETAILS

The flight attendants are always very friendly and helpful. The customer service agents seem to take their time with customers to make sure they are well accommodated. I’ve just always been impressed with their people and aircrafts.

Samantha
May 3rd, 2018 Millville, UT DETAILS

Great experience flying Alaska Air! I would fly with them again!

Casey
May 1st, 2018 DETAILS

My favorite thing about Alaska is they always leave on time! I've always had a good experience flying Alaska and I choose Alaska when I can.

Trevor Woller
April 30th, 2018 Beaverton, OR DETAILS

Alaska has the best in-flight service in the industry and they are my first choice for travel options. Their flight and gate attendants are the most helpful and friendly in the industry. I love their brand.

David Lewis
April 25th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I have yet to have a negative experience while flying Alaska. They always take care of me and have been the most punctual airline I've flown in my experience.

Justin Ashby
April 25th, 2018 Portland, OR DETAILS

One of the most comfortable airlines I have been on. I really enjoyed my flights. We use Alaska in the NW because there seems to be more direct flights.

Erin Rhoton
April 16th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I really like flying Alaska Airlines. They have good customer service and you can usually find good flight prices. The flight attendants are friendly and seem to genuinely care about your flight experience.

Chase Huntzinger
April 16th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love Alaska Airlines! Excellent service. The employees are always so great, and they make a very good effort to give a great customer experience. I would always fly Alaskan if the price was the same as all others.

Jefferson Farmer
April 16th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Airplane is very small and crammed. Although it is cheap, it is still not the best value for your buck.

Michael
April 16th, 2018 Ogden, UT DETAILS

We used them once everything was great!!

Sandy
April 16th, 2018 Seaside, OR DETAILS

Customer service has been excellent. Some of their charging policies are not that great. Especially luggage charges.

Anne Marie Milne
April 12th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

Flew to San Diego through Alaska Airlines and it was an okay experience. The chairs were so close together you could barely move your legs. They had very kind and pleasant staff but close quarter seating.

Jeff Martin
April 12th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

Great experience on all my flights with them.

Tera Lee
April 10th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

Really enjoyed flying Alaskan Airlines. The plane was a little small but it wasn't too bad at all for a short flight. The flight attendants were amazing they were friendly and kind and outgoing willing to do whatever they could to make the flight experience wonderful. I would definitely recommend two friends and family. And I do have a few family members that have already used it and we're very impressed with their service as well

Landon Robison
April 9th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I flew with Alaska Airlines for my honeymoon and another family vacation, and I had a great experience both times. They were very accommodating and made sure we were taken care of. The staff was very attentive and friendly. The flight also had no delays, making our experience go smooth without any hiccups.

Patrick
December 15th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

Alaska Airlines is from my home state! #Represent. I have flown Alaska Airlines at least 100+ times. I would fly back and forth between Ketchikan to Seattle and vice versa. The customer service is really great and they take really good care of Alaskans. I really recommend them.

Cassidy Gundersen
December 13th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

No complaints with Alaska Air! Cheap flights, small planes, point A to point B. I’m all about the cheap flights!

Hannah
December 12th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

I served an LDS mission and was not able to see my family for a year and a half. When I was flying home from LAX they kept pushing the flight back, but would not tell us they were going to cancel. Then four hours later, they said that we would not be going home. The attendants were very rude and they would not even let me use a phone to call my family. I had to wait over night in the airport.

Hannah
December 7th, 2017 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I always like flying Alaska. I feel like they are the friendliest, most cooperative airline, and they seem to care about what their customers are saying. I was so happy with their service and flights that I recently applied for their credit card. I seriously love their mileage plan. It's not a surprise to me that they've won the JD Power Customer Satisfaction Award for like, 10 years in a row or something! Happy customer here.

Mike Hugill
November 20th, 2017 San Jose, CA DETAILS

Their ability to understand what flying customers must go through is wonderful

Kent Seldal
November 20th, 2017 DETAILS

Timely, helpful, courteous and flexible.

Doug Duncan
November 20th, 2017 DETAILS

Convenience and even if there was a glitz was weathers fault and not the airlines. Puts customer safety first.

DJ
November 20th, 2017 DETAILS

Timely calls-good cost'flights from medford poorly timed

hiyam alzer
November 20th, 2017 Annandale, VA DETAILS

no baggage fees , good service almost always on time

Patti N
November 20th, 2017 Albuquerque, NM DETAILS

They are friendly, accommodating and have decent prices.

Lin Zimmerman
November 20th, 2017 Fort Myers, FL DETAILS

Great service comfortable seats good scheduled good partners

Ronald Hughes
November 20th, 2017 Sierra Vista, AZ DETAILS

Nice planes with leg room for taller people. Service is good and charging ports for every seat.

Paul Young
November 20th, 2017 San Diego, CA DETAILS

Friendly and courteous service, along with courtesy Wi-Fi entertainment.

Steven
November 14th, 2017 DETAILS

Amazing customer service. Both in person and on the phone. Called in and was speaking with a real person within 30 seconds or less.