Alaska Airlines

Alaska Airlines Logo

7.0

Alaska Airlines

Get places with 25,000 bonus miles

Alaska Airlines is the seventh largest major carrier in the United States, in terms of passenger traffic. The company offered its service as Alaska Airlines for the first time in 1944, but the airline has its origins in McGee Airways, a company that was formed in 1932. Even though Alaska Airlines suggests that they only service the northernmost destination in the United States, Alaska Airways has over 100 destinations in the 48 contiguous states, Canada, Mexico, and four of the Hawaiian Islands. In fact, they have its largest hub at the Seattle-Tacoma Airport. Alaska Airlines also does well with customer satisfaction. For the seventh year in the row, JD Power and Associates ranked Alaska Airlines as the highest in customer satisfaction in 2014. While Alaska Airlines maintains independence from the major airline alliances, it does have codeshare agreements with some of the major airlines, including Delta and British Airways.

The Good

• Incentive program
  • Interent
  • Pricing
  • Food and beverage
  • Entertainment
  • On-time percentage

First of all, we really liked Club 49, the incentive program for customers who were flying to and from Alaska. Every year, Club 49 members get a certificate for 30% off a one-way flight to or from Alaska. You also get two free checked bags with Alaska Airlines, as well as exclusive deals. We reviewed other major carriers, such as Hawaiian Airlines, and couldn't find a similar rewards program.

We found that the Gogo Internet service with Alaska Airlines was affordable. A similar carrier that we reviewed, Hawaiian Airlines, did not have Wi-Fi in the bulk of its planes as of this time.

We found that prices were a little high across the board with a few exceptions. A one-way ticket from Seattle to Las Vegas cost $99. Alaska Air also expedites the baggage claim process. If your luggage is not at the claim within 20 minutes, you can get a $25 voucher to use towards your next ticket.

We also felt like Alaska Airlines did a good job of providing affordable food and beverages to its coach customers. Most of the meals that we saw for coach clients were priced from $6 to $7, which is slightly cheaper than some of the other carriers we reviewed. However, we did find that Hawaiian Airlines offers free meals for flights that are longer than six hours, something that Alaska does not have. Starbucks Coffee is also available on Alaska Airlines as part of their complimentary beverage service.

We had some questions during our phone-in about the in-flight tablet rental. Initially we weren't sure if movies cost extra, but through our conversation we found out they were included with the rental. We liked how the R-rated movies were edited for the presence of younger customers.

According to Flightstats.com, Alaska Airlines flights are on-time roughly 86%. This is above average when compared to select other top airlines.

The Bad

• Oversized customers clause
  • Rewards plan
  • Planes

We took some offense to the "oversized customers" clause of Alaska Airlines' seating policy. We felt like some overweight or larger customers may be turned off by the tone of language on the part of their website. It also emphasized that Alaska Airlines has the right to re-seat a client or boot them from a flight if they hadn't booked a second seat. Delta made it somewhat easier for customers and even suggested that a first class seat might be better for a "larger" customer. We would like to see Alaska Airlines be a little bit more sensitive to the needs of its larger customers and make it easier for them to purchase a second seat while reminding them that they are still valued customers.

We did have some concerns with the two-year activity clause on the mileage reward plan. One customer did have a complaint about the inactivity on their account leading to its deactivation.

We also had some concerns with the lack of wide-body planes. The Boeing 737, while a comfortable plane, lacks the comfort of larger Airbuses and larger Boeing aircraft, such as the 767.

The Bottom Line

We recommend Alaska Airlines wholeheartedly. We also liked the fact that while their planes didn't have TVs on each seat, they made it possible for customers to access great movies and other options via an affordable tablet. Another great feature of this company was that they want customers to get their baggage quickly at the claim, offering a $25 voucher if the bags are not off the plane within 20 minutes.

POLYANA LAVAKI
September 14th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Alaska Airlines aircraft are very clean and new. I like their seats they are very spacious to me. I am a big person and i mostly need a seat belt extension. when I travel on Alaska I never have to ask for an extension.

Leslie
September 11th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

My experience with Alaska Airlines was fantastic! Price was great and service was amazing. No complaints here!

Dave Brinton
August 31st, 2018

Flying out of Seattle, Alaska has the best prices and service.

Derek Scoville
August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Alaska Airlines provides the cheapest fare for flights to Hawaii! The seats are comfortable, and the service is what is expected. But, their fares are better than all competitors.

Dylan Findlay
August 28th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Nothing but good things to say about Alaska Airlines. Great prices, awesome service, and a positive experience. Will definitely fly with Alaska Airlines again!

L Fowler
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I've flown with Alaska Airlines several times mostly because they offered a great deal for the flight I needed. I thought they were an ok airline, nothing overly fancy or outstanding. I don't know if I would pick them over other airlines with better seats.

tini mapu
August 28th, 2018 Orem, UT

I love how roomy and comfy their seats are. They also have great customer service.

Anne Radcliffe
August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

great value for the flight. just wish they didn't charge for every bag...and no free drink...?

Kris
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have only flown Alaskan Airlines once because our plane was delayed so we were bumped to their airline. They were very accommodating and the customer service was wonderful and I would highly recommend flying with them. I will be flying with them in the future.

Bella Houtz
August 20th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Alaska Airlines is a fantastic airline that is comfortable and enjoyable on a long plane ride. A great flight for an affordable price.

Karen Nelson
July 27th, 2018 Alpine, UT

I only have positive things to say about this airline. They seem to have their "act together." Every time we have used this airline, they have been prompt and friendly.

Anne Kimball
July 23rd, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

We used to live in Seattle and Alaska Airlines was always the most convenient airline to use when flying out of there. They always had the shortest and most direct flights. Our hometown was Santa Barbara and they had a direct flight right into Santa Barbara which almost no one does, so that was so nice for us when we were going home.

Tanner Hales
July 19th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

This airline is definitely not the nicest airline I have ever been on. However, you cannot beat the customer service. Not once have I had issues with my baggage or flights being delayed.

Kaleb Herbert
July 9th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I had to fly Alaskan to Seattle as it was one of the only flights with no stops. The flight was very comfortable, plane was clean. Service was good, a short flight that went very smoothly.

Hunter Kasprzyk
July 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Alaska Airlines provided a very smooth trip without any major flight delays. Very reliable

Diana Melnyk
June 25th, 2018

Flew to Hawaii and back on Alaska Airlines. Our return flight was delayed causing us to miss a connection. The provided us with a generous meal voucher.

Bella Houtz
June 13th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I have used Alaska Airlines for years when my family goes to Hawaii. The pricing is the best and they have plenty of flights to chose from. They seem to be on time and they are friendly.

Sadie Scoville
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

The flight attendants are really nice to us and get us whatever we need.

H Moore
June 11th, 2018 Lehi, UT

My daughter's volleyball team flies Alaska Airlines when they travel to Washington or Oregon. The employees are friendly and helpful, and the planes are clean.

Kip Fowler
June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have flown Alaska Airlines many times. I had one bad experience where they measured my luggage and said it was too big and charged me a crazy amount of money. They later refunded me after I had to complain

Easton Fowler
June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

This company had great service when I flew out to Hawaii with my uncle. The seating was better then expected and the coustomer service was the best I've ever had. Overall great experience

June 6th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Good airline, but I think it is overpriced and not flying where I want to go. I do hear customer service is great

Nana Asiata
June 6th, 2018 Herriman, UT DETAILS

The pricing is low which is good, and the seats on our trip were very comfortable. The snacks were great and so were the flight attendance.

Avery Fowler
May 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I was impressed with the seating configuration of the plane. Plenty of room!

Ashley
May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We took Alaska airlines because it was a cheaper flight but it ended up being a much longer trip out of Salt Lake City.

May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have only flown a couple of times with this airline, I wish there were more direct flights out of Salt Lake City.

Barbara Norris
May 18th, 2018 Heber, UT DETAILS

I have had to cancel a flight two different times due to unexpected health trouble. They were courteous and understanding, each time giving me a credit to use on a future flight. When I did make the roundtrip flight, it was pleasant in every regard.

Julia
May 16th, 2018 Soda Springs, ID DETAILS

The flight attendants are always very friendly and helpful. The customer service agents seem to take their time with customers to make sure they are well accommodated. I’ve just always been impressed with their people and aircrafts.

Samantha
May 3rd, 2018 Millville, UT DETAILS

Great experience flying Alaska Air! I would fly with them again!

Casey
May 1st, 2018 DETAILS

My favorite thing about Alaska is they always leave on time! I've always had a good experience flying Alaska and I choose Alaska when I can.

Trevor Woller
April 30th, 2018 Beaverton, OR DETAILS

Alaska has the best in-flight service in the industry and they are my first choice for travel options. Their flight and gate attendants are the most helpful and friendly in the industry. I love their brand.

David Lewis
April 25th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I have yet to have a negative experience while flying Alaska. They always take care of me and have been the most punctual airline I've flown in my experience.

Justin Ashby
April 25th, 2018 Portland, OR DETAILS

One of the most comfortable airlines I have been on. I really enjoyed my flights. We use Alaska in the NW because there seems to be more direct flights.

Erin Rhoton
April 16th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I really like flying Alaska Airlines. They have good customer service and you can usually find good flight prices. The flight attendants are friendly and seem to genuinely care about your flight experience.

Chase Huntzinger
April 16th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love Alaska Airlines! Excellent service. The employees are always so great, and they make a very good effort to give a great customer experience. I would always fly Alaskan if the price was the same as all others.

Jefferson Farmer
April 16th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Airplane is very small and crammed. Although it is cheap, it is still not the best value for your buck.

Michael
April 16th, 2018 Ogden, UT DETAILS

We used them once everything was great!!

Sandy
April 16th, 2018 Seaside, OR DETAILS

Customer service has been excellent. Some of their charging policies are not that great. Especially luggage charges.

Anne Marie Milne
April 12th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

Flew to San Diego through Alaska Airlines and it was an okay experience. The chairs were so close together you could barely move your legs. They had very kind and pleasant staff but close quarter seating.

Jeff Martin
April 12th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

Great experience on all my flights with them.