Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

Alaska Airlines

Alaska Airlines Logo

Alaska Airlines

Get places with 25,000 bonus miles

Alaska Airlines is the seventh largest major carrier in the United States, in terms of passenger traffic. The company offered its service as Alaska Airlines for the first time in 1944, but the airline has its origins in McGee Airways, a company that was formed in 1932. Even though Alaska Airlines suggests that they only service the northernmost destination in the United States, Alaska Airways has over 100 destinations in the 48 contiguous states, Canada, Mexico, and four of the Hawaiian Islands. In fact, they have its largest hub at the Seattle-Tacoma Airport. Alaska Airlines also does well with customer satisfaction. For the seventh year in the row, JD Power and Associates ranked Alaska Airlines as the highest in customer satisfaction in 2014. While Alaska Airlines maintains independence from the major airline alliances, it does have codeshare agreements with some of the major airlines, including Delta and British Airways.

#1 Southwest Airlines Logo Southwest Airlines ›

9.5

Overall
Score

#2 JetBlue Logo JetBlue ›

8.1

Overall
Score

#3 Delta Airlines Logo Delta Airlines ›

7.6

Overall
Score

#5 Alaska Airlines Logo Alaska Airlines ›

6.9

Overall
Score

The Good

• Incentive program
  • Interent
  • Pricing
  • Food and beverage
  • Entertainment
  • On-time percentage

First of all, we really liked Club 49, the incentive program for customers who were flying to and from Alaska. Every year, Club 49 members get a certificate for 30% off a one-way flight to or from Alaska. You also get two free checked bags with Alaska Airlines, as well as exclusive deals. We reviewed other major carriers, such as Hawaiian Airlines, and couldn't find a similar rewards program.

We found that the Gogo Internet service with Alaska Airlines was affordable. A similar carrier that we reviewed, Hawaiian Airlines, did not have Wi-Fi in the bulk of its planes as of this time.

We found that prices were a little high across the board with a few exceptions. A one-way ticket from Seattle to Las Vegas cost $99. Alaska Air also expedites the baggage claim process. If your luggage is not at the claim within 20 minutes, you can get a $25 voucher to use towards your next ticket.

We also felt like Alaska Airlines did a good job of providing affordable food and beverages to its coach customers. Most of the meals that we saw for coach clients were priced from $6 to $7, which is slightly cheaper than some of the other carriers we reviewed. However, we did find that Hawaiian Airlines offers free meals for flights that are longer than six hours, something that Alaska does not have. Starbucks Coffee is also available on Alaska Airlines as part of their complimentary beverage service.

We had some questions during our phone-in about the in-flight tablet rental. Initially we weren't sure if movies cost extra, but through our conversation we found out they were included with the rental. We liked how the R-rated movies were edited for the presence of younger customers.

According to Flightstats.com, Alaska Airlines flights are on-time roughly 86%. This is above average when compared to select other top airlines.

The Bad

• Oversized customers clause
  • Rewards plan
  • Planes

We took some offense to the "oversized customers" clause of Alaska Airlines' seating policy. We felt like some overweight or larger customers may be turned off by the tone of language on the part of their website. It also emphasized that Alaska Airlines has the right to re-seat a client or boot them from a flight if they hadn't booked a second seat. Delta made it somewhat easier for customers and even suggested that a first class seat might be better for a "larger" customer. We would like to see Alaska Airlines be a little bit more sensitive to the needs of its larger customers and make it easier for them to purchase a second seat while reminding them that they are still valued customers.

We did have some concerns with the two-year activity clause on the mileage reward plan. One customer did have a complaint about the inactivity on their account leading to its deactivation.

We also had some concerns with the lack of wide-body planes. The Boeing 737, while a comfortable plane, lacks the comfort of larger Airbuses and larger Boeing aircraft, such as the 767.

The Bottom Line

We recommend Alaska Airlines wholeheartedly. We also liked the fact that while their planes didn't have TVs on each seat, they made it possible for customers to access great movies and other options via an affordable tablet. Another great feature of this company was that they want customers to get their baggage quickly at the claim, offering a $25 voucher if the bags are not off the plane within 20 minutes.

Cori Jacobsen Ollerton
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

Enjoyed our trip to Alaska. Clean airplane and friendly staff. Was very helpful with small children. Accommodated our large group well.

Melissa Carreno
December 11th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

I don't know why but Alaska Airlines is always really pricey. I can never find really good deals. I think I've flown with them once, only because it was a last minute flight.

HLG
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Good airline with nice equipment. Their value to me has gone down since the rift with Delta. That was a good partnership for customers while it lasted.

Justin Knorr
November 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We have enjoyed flying Alaska Airlines. The flights usually run on time and customer service on the plane an at the airport is very helpful. Prices are usually a good value too.

Jobie Goodro
November 30th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

Flew on Alaska Airlines a few months ago on my first trip to Alaska. It was great! Service was excellent.

Amber C Frey
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA

I flew on Alaska Airline from San Diego to Seattle in 2010 and it was a very pleasant experience. The seats were comfy and there wasn't much delay for take off.

Elena
November 7th, 2018 New York, NY DETAILS

Terrible airlines! I recived my lagguage damaged. It took me mounths of fighting and hours of calling to get my money back! The operators and manegers have no respect to the costumers and dont want to take responsibilities! Will never use ur service again!

Matt Hanzel
November 6th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

I used to fly Alaska Airlines exclusively when I lived in Boise, Idaho. I always appreciated the family like environment of the smaller airline.

Nathan hanzel
November 6th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

I really like how much legroom you are able to get on an Alaska Airlines flight, I would recommend to a friend!

ally blackhurst
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

My family flew from Seattle to Oahu on Alaska airlines and it was great. The flight attendants were awesome!

Maya Lewis
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Love using Alaska Airlines to travel to the Northwest. Great prices, great service.

Mary
October 30th, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

Alaska airlines is a dependable airline with friendly welcoming staff. We've never had any issues with the flights themselves and their phone representatives are always helpful.

Colvin Doughty
October 16th, 2018 Santa Cruz, CA DETAILS

On time, on schedule, safe, comfortable, and luggage usually follows me!

Mathew V
October 16th, 2018 Boise, ID DETAILS

I've flown with Alaska airlines a few time. They are curtious and punctual.

Steve schramm
October 15th, 2018 Salem, UT DETAILS

I like the seats in their new airplanes. Not fancy but comfortable. Friendly service

Marci Schramm
October 15th, 2018 Salem, UT DETAILS

I have flown a few times, the price was pretty good. The flight was safe. No frills. I enjoyed the onboard movies offered on my phone. The staff was friendly. I had a few calls to make arrangements as I had 21 people booked and there were a few issues, but they were resolved. Hope to fly Alaska Air again

Heather
October 15th, 2018 Vernal, UT DETAILS

Alaska Airlines offers competitive rates. However, their planes are often cramped, and I’m not very comfortable in my seat. Some of their planes have phone chargers, but not all.

Karlee Schramm
October 15th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Alaska Airlines are very understandable with all the situations there costumers have before during or after there flight. My family has had some mistakes in the past with seating but was quickly resolved. I would recommend flying with Alaska Airlines.

Ray Fletcher
October 1st, 2018 DETAILS

decent pricing and membership perks. little pretentious on class of services.

Caprisse Taliulu
September 26th, 2018 Kailua, HI

When we were headed on our family vacation this year the lady at the check in counter was so kind and helpful. There were 5 of us traveling and some of our bags were overweight. She helped us rearrange the bags and gave us suggestions on how we could avoid paying extra fees. She was a lifesaver!!

POLYANA LAVAKI
September 14th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Alaska Airlines aircraft are very clean and new. I like their seats they are very spacious to me. I am a big person and i mostly need a seat belt extension. when I travel on Alaska I never have to ask for an extension.

Leslie
September 11th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

My experience with Alaska Airlines was fantastic! Price was great and service was amazing. No complaints here!

Dave Brinton
August 31st, 2018

Flying out of Seattle, Alaska has the best prices and service.

Derek Scoville
August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Alaska Airlines provides the cheapest fare for flights to Hawaii! The seats are comfortable, and the service is what is expected. But, their fares are better than all competitors.

Dylan Findlay
August 28th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Nothing but good things to say about Alaska Airlines. Great prices, awesome service, and a positive experience. Will definitely fly with Alaska Airlines again!

L Fowler
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I've flown with Alaska Airlines several times mostly because they offered a great deal for the flight I needed. I thought they were an ok airline, nothing overly fancy or outstanding. I don't know if I would pick them over other airlines with better seats.

tini mapu
August 28th, 2018 Orem, UT

I love how roomy and comfy their seats are. They also have great customer service.

Anne Radcliffe
August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

great value for the flight. just wish they didn't charge for every bag...and no free drink...?

Kris
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have only flown Alaskan Airlines once because our plane was delayed so we were bumped to their airline. They were very accommodating and the customer service was wonderful and I would highly recommend flying with them. I will be flying with them in the future.

Bella Houtz
August 20th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Alaska Airlines is a fantastic airline that is comfortable and enjoyable on a long plane ride. A great flight for an affordable price.

Karen Nelson
July 27th, 2018 Alpine, UT

I only have positive things to say about this airline. They seem to have their "act together." Every time we have used this airline, they have been prompt and friendly.

Anne Kimball
July 23rd, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

We used to live in Seattle and Alaska Airlines was always the most convenient airline to use when flying out of there. They always had the shortest and most direct flights. Our hometown was Santa Barbara and they had a direct flight right into Santa Barbara which almost no one does, so that was so nice for us when we were going home.

Tanner Hales
July 19th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

This airline is definitely not the nicest airline I have ever been on. However, you cannot beat the customer service. Not once have I had issues with my baggage or flights being delayed.

Kaleb Herbert
July 9th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I had to fly Alaskan to Seattle as it was one of the only flights with no stops. The flight was very comfortable, plane was clean. Service was good, a short flight that went very smoothly.

Hunter Kasprzyk
July 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Alaska Airlines provided a very smooth trip without any major flight delays. Very reliable

Diana Melnyk
June 25th, 2018

Flew to Hawaii and back on Alaska Airlines. Our return flight was delayed causing us to miss a connection. The provided us with a generous meal voucher.

Bella Houtz
June 13th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I have used Alaska Airlines for years when my family goes to Hawaii. The pricing is the best and they have plenty of flights to chose from. They seem to be on time and they are friendly.

Sadie Scoville
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

The flight attendants are really nice to us and get us whatever we need.

H Moore
June 11th, 2018 Lehi, UT

My daughter's volleyball team flies Alaska Airlines when they travel to Washington or Oregon. The employees are friendly and helpful, and the planes are clean.

Kip Fowler
June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have flown Alaska Airlines many times. I had one bad experience where they measured my luggage and said it was too big and charged me a crazy amount of money. They later refunded me after I had to complain