Alaska Airlines Logo

Alaska Airlines

Is This Your Business?

7.0

Alaska Airlines is the seventh largest major carrier in the United States, in terms of passenger traffic. The company offered its service as Alaska Airlines for the first time in 1944, but the airline has its origins in McGee Airways, a company that was formed in 1932.

Even though Alaska Airlines suggests that they only service the northernmost destination in the United States, the carrier has over 100 destinations in the 48 contiguous states, Canada, Mexico, and four of the Hawaiian Islands. In fact, they have its largest hub at the Seattle-Tacoma Airport.

Alaska Airlines also does well with customer satisfaction. For the seventh year in the row, JD Power and Associates ranked Alaska Airlines as the highest in customer satisfaction in 2014.

While Alaska Airlines maintains independence from the major airline alliances, it does have codeshare agreements with some of the major airlines, including Delta and British Airways.

View Best Airlines

Delta Airlines Logo
#2 Delta Airlines chevron_right
JetBlue Logo
#3 JetBlue chevron_right

The Good

• Incentive Program
  • Internet Service
  • Pricing
  • Food and Beverages
  • Entertainment
  • On-Time Percentage

Incentive Program

First of all, we really liked Club 49, the incentive program for customers who were flying to and from Alaska. Every year, Club 49 members get a certificate for 30% off a one-way flight to or from Alaska. You also get two free checked bags with Alaska Airlines, as well as exclusive deals. We reviewed other major carriers, such as Hawaiian Airlines, and couldn't find a similar rewards program.

Internet Service

We found that the Gogo Internet service with Alaska Airlines was affordable. A similar carrier that we reviewed, Hawaiian Airlines, did not have Wi-Fi in the bulk of its planes as of this time.

Pricing

We found that prices were a little high across the board with a few exceptions. A one-way ticket from Seattle to Las Vegas cost $99. Alaska Air also expedites the baggage claim process. If your luggage is not at the claim within 20 minutes, you can get a $25 voucher to use towards your next ticket.

Food and Beverages

We also felt like Alaska Airlines did a good job of providing affordable food and beverages to its coach customers. Most of the meals that we saw for coach clients were priced from $6 to $7, which is slightly cheaper than some of the other carriers we reviewed.

However, we did find that Hawaiian Airlines offers free meals for flights that are longer than six hours, something that Alaska does not have.

Starbucks Coffee is also available on Alaska Airlines as part of their complimentary beverage service.

Entertainment

We had some questions during our phone-in about the in-flight tablet rental. Initially we weren't sure if movies cost extra, but through our conversation we found out they were included with the rental. We liked how the R-rated movies were edited for the presence of younger customers.

On-Time Percentage

According to Flightstats.com, Alaska Airlines flights are on-time roughly 86% of the time. This is above average when compared to select other top airlines.

The Bad

• Oversized Customers Clause
  • Rewards Plan
  • Aircraft Comfort

Oversized Customers Clause

We took some offense to the "oversized customers" clause of Alaska Airlines' seating policy. We felt like some overweight or larger customers may be turned off by the tone of language on the part of their website. It also emphasized that Alaska Airlines has the right to re-seat a client or boot them from a flight if they hadn't booked a second seat. Delta made it somewhat easier for customers and even suggested that a first-class seat might be better for a "larger" customer.

We would like to see Alaska Airlines be a little bit more sensitive to the needs of its larger customers and make it easier for them to purchase a second seat while reminding them that they are still valued customers.

Rewards Plan

We did have some concerns with the two-year activity clause on the mileage reward plan. One customer did have a complaint about the inactivity on their account leading to its deactivation.

Aircraft Comfort

The Bottom Line

We recommend Alaska Airlines wholeheartedly. We also liked the fact that while its planes didn't have TVs on each seat, they made it possible for customers to access great movies and other options via an affordable tablet.

Another great feature of this company was that it wants customers to get their baggage quickly at the claim, offering a $25 voucher if the bags are not off the plane within 20 minutes.

View Best Airlines

Carla Finley North Port, FL

We just got home from Seattle. That was our first time being on Alaska Airlines from Tampa. In all we were up and down 4 times because we also took a short flight to Alaska. Not one time in any airport or plane did we have a bad experience. On the contrary, the flight attendants and CSA's were all wonderful, smiling, attentive and just plain nice. There were a few that were fabulous! We cannot wait to get back to Seattle. There was only one thing I didn't care for and that was so many passengers stowing large bags overhead and coming on with way over what they were supposed to have and then taking other people's spots in the overhead.

Roberta Finkbonner Bellingham, WA

I have flown Alaska since early 80's have had good luck except for my last Vega flight back to Bellingham. It was a long flite of errors. First th was a problem with some instrument when we were in line for take off. 20 min they said. hour later said we had to go back to terminal because we were low on flue from sitting there while they worked. Went back to gate to fuel up. Oh they say should be done in 20 min. an hour later. they said the flight crew was out of flight time so we would have to so to Seattle to change crews, All this time they couldn't do service. This as a non stop flight , Okay now we wait in line to fly to Seattle to pick up anew crew. They say no problem it shouldn't take more than 20 min ,arrive in Seattle and wait for a crew leave an hour later. Arrive in Bellingham after being on the plane for 6 hours. What a flight. Oh well I still like Alaska Airlines and will fly with them.

Ryan Pleasant Grove, UT

Alaska Airlines is a fantastic airline. I am from Ketchikan, Alaska and can say they Alaska Airlines truly takes care of its customers. Not only do they help fly people in and out of Alaska but they also deliver mail and supplies to remote areas. They even have a site called AlaskaListens.com where you can share your concerns. I was amazed at how quickly I got a response. The only downside to Alaska Airlines is that they primarily serve the West Coast. But they happen to have some of the cheapest flights to Hawaii. If you are planning are trip around the West Coast, there is no better airline than Alaska.

Janell Privett Wrangell, AK

I have been apart of the Alaska Airlines Family since I was little. I live in Wrangell Alaska and our Alaska Airlines staff in Wrangell and have received the record fast turn around and efficiency. Yeah Wrangell airlines crew. I have traveled Alaska Airlines my whole life, a few times I flew with other airlines (3 times) and was horrified at the serves, attitude and lack of caring. I work every year to lobby for Alaska Airlines essential service and will continue to work hard for Alaska Airlines to serve our community. My mother now has cancer and we travel every few months. She is so welcomed and cared for. Shipping and Freight always great to work with. Love the pilots who thank and talk to the kids. You are all awesome.

timi Juneau, AK

I am spoiled by AK Air. They have the best customer service folks in the industry. When they do have errors they typically address them before I even have a chance to write a letter of concern. They know how to treat people. Reading other complaints I just want to say 'really'. You score low because it was too cold? To someone else that might have been just right or even hot, bring a wrap when you fly. Others complain about luggage fees, well compared to other airlines they are in line with them. I am spoiled and I pay more to take AK Air because they have been good to me over the years.

KCP Raymore, MO

Seriously, The Bad: "We also had some concerns with the lack of wide-body planes. The Boeing 737, while a comfortable plane, lacks the comfort of larger Airbuses and larger Boeing aircraft, such as the 767." Since when do the customers decide what planes an airline should have in their fleet? Incidentally, the 737 is one of the safest and most reliable planes in the industry. If these customers are unhappy with a safe plane (obviously from their comments they need a really big plane because of their weight) maybe next time they should lease a plane so their comfort will be the top priority. As for me, Alaska has been one of the best airlines for my travel needs, love first class.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

I'm a big user and fan of Alaska. My favorite planes of theirs are the Virgin Atlantic ones they got in their merger. Having the Alaska Visa is a must for free luggage and boarding...and POINTS!!!

RHWofPA

I flew Baltimore to LA, LA to San Francisco. We left 15 minutes late but were 15 minutes early for the long leg. It has been a long time since I flew on Alaska, so I was excited, used to be my favorite airline. Must say the bloody mary mix was disgusting but I asked for regular tomato juice to dilute it and it was palatable. The Peatos snack was weird but were okay after the first couple. Finally, must tell you we were getting ready to load, and I made the mistake of asking the desk person if I could set my coffee on the desk while I ran to the restroom. He almost had a fit, so I went and found a stranger to watch my coffee while I used the restroom.

Marie Miller Centreville, VA

I have flown Alaska for years. The flight crew is friendly and very customer oriented. The website is easy to use and check-in has always been smooth. Rather than just say no, the employees work with the customers to find a sloution. Over the years, I have travelled with young children and pets, and everyone, from check-in to flight crew has been so nice. It is also one of the best airlines to ravel with a pet. They are upfront with what to expect and all the employees that I have dealt with seem to like animals.

Shannon Williams

Back in june of 2013 I was onboard a flight from Seattle, WA to Kansas City, MO with my three week old son. I was terrified of flying and a lovely stewardess came to me and explained how she disliked flying as well. SHe was most helpful in easing my fears! Also, a lovely gentleman paid so that I could watch shows on a tablet as well as I was given a solid meal, since I was fleeing a domestic violence situation and had no money to my name. I am thankful for the airline staff and passengers and their kindness that was shown to my and my child.

Hannah Pleasant Grove, UT

I always like flying Alaska. I feel like they are the friendliest, most cooperative airline, and they seem to care about what their customers are saying. I was so happy with their service and flights that I recently applied for their credit card. I seriously love their mileage plan. It's not a surprise to me that they've won the JD Power Customer Satisfaction Award for like, 10 years in a row or something! Happy customer here.

Deborah Crabbe

Alaska Airlines is the class of the skies in North America. The staff are friendly and work very hard to make sure you are comfortable and cared for during flights. Checkin is easy and luggage is seldom lost. The mileage plan is fabulous and easy to use. Alaska Airlines has recently upgraded in flight service and there are several food options on every flight. With nonstop flights to virtually ever major U.S. city, I will not fly any other airline in North America. This gold level member LOVES Alaska Airlines.

M. Clark Lockhart RN Grover Beach, CA

I love Alaska Airlines. There customer service on the ground and in the air is polite, kind, considerate, and professional. They are on time and even early occasionally. Baggage was delivered to the baggage area within twenty minutes after arrival, both in Seattle and San Luis Obispo. Anytime I have flown on Alaska Airlines their customer service has been great . Alaska Airlines is rated#1 in customer service, safety, and maintenence. I enjoy travelling with them and will use them as my carrier when ever possible!

Susi Scotts Valley, CA

I got a Alaskan Airlines Visa and receive a lot of benefits such as first bag free, mileage and an annual companion ticket. We have homes in Hawaii and travel with a small toy poodle. I love it that I can bring poodle Pele on board with me. Alaskan is the only airline that allows pets onboard to Hawaii. All other airlines make you check your animal into cargo with high fees. There is a perfect flight for us from San Jose to Kona. Yay ALaskan.

KCP Raymore, MO

Best Airline I have ever flown with. Wish there were more flights in and out of Kansas City. Direct flights to the East Coast would be awesome. Love the seats in the new planes. Incidentally although most comments praise Alaska some on this page make me laugh. I guess there are still a few people that still do not realize the Flight Attendants (Stewardess's to some :-) ) are there to save their asses, not kiss them.

Harold Parker Wenatchee, WA

I would like to express my appreciation for the way the Alaska ground personnel and flight attendants assisted in getting my Brother-in-law who was unable to use his lower extremities in all the unusual and difficult handling planning and deplaning from Wenatchee, WA clear thru to Kenai, AK. It really made the trip very enjoyable both for him and myself as his care giver.

Diana M. Potts Medford, OR

I have switched m mileage plan to Alaska from Delta (UGH!) and have been VERY happy overall. The staff at Alaska Air from checkin to flight are so amazingly friendly! I love the LEATHER seats in all the planes (much more hygienic (I am a nurse) than cloth seats! Your website and APP are so easy to use and follow. My only "complaint" is the fee for checked bags...especially if you booked your flight on the website with an Alaska Visa card. There should be no fee. Plus I am finding that because there are fees, SO many people "cheat" and sneak way too big of luggage on the plane causing delays with everyone getting seated and space. I also would like Alaska flight to go SOUTH from Southern Oregon. I live near Medford and to go to Vegas or into California I have to fly to either Portland or SEATTLE and have MANY hours of layover. Takes me all day to get to someplace that SHOULD take a maximum of 2 hours. I could drive quicker in some cases.

Kate Diamond Seattle, WA

I have been flying Alaska Airlines for years... I think they truly are THE best airlines in the skies!! On my flight from Seattle to San Francisco, the pilot took at least 10 minutes to thank all the people who chose that airline; introduced his co-pilot (who was incidentally getting his Captain's license on that trip); then he went on to introduce each flight attendant and tell us they are the best crew EVER! And that Alaska is the best global airline in the world. I have to say, I agree!!!

Nanette Mountville, PA

Had a great flight with Alaska Airlines, from Philadelphia to Seattle. They checked our 3 bags for the price of one ($25) still don't know why but it was much appreciated. My husband & son thought there was more leg room than other airlines. The staff on the plane was very attentive to all the passengers. I would chose Alaska for my next flying trip over other airlines. The flight was on time & it was a great overall experience!

Charles Vesely Ewa Beach, HI

We fly from Honolulu to Anchorage (generally) in July. It's a direct flight that gets us there @0600. We have been doing this for years and have never had a problem. Coming back, we get our first bag for free (going there also) and we bring back several hundred pounds of fish as baggage. We do pay for that but, it's less expensive than shipping them next day freight. The crews are awesome there is enough space and the meals are decent.

Cindy Oregon City, OR

I only fly Alaska Airlines. I grew up in southeast Alaska and spent my childhood flying back and forth between AK and Seattle. As an adult I choose Alaska because it has great customer service. The planes are new and nice. I flight attendance are always polite, helpful and professional. If Alaska flies to my destination or somewhere close I book the fight. I really have never had a bad experience with them.

Stan Fichtman Honolulu, HI

Alaska Airlines has never done me wrong on a number of trips that I have made with them. Their flights seem to always leave on time, with no undue drama attached to their operations. Even when they mess up, they make right by the customer either right there or when the customer arrives at their destination. If I had one gripe about the airline is that their connection times for certain schedules can be horrendous. When they first flew out to Hawaii, they would have connection times in Seattle, Portland, etc, stretching 8 hours in some cases I would be much more of a dedicated customer if I knew that my connections on the West Coast would be shorter. They have gotten better over time, but I still see long connection times, which keeps me with larger carriers when I book.

Teresa Lancaster Fairbanks, AK

Our family flys about 3 times a year. We always get complimented from the flight crew to how well behaved our children are! Which is awesome to hear. We have had great experiences with Alaska Airlines in the 12 years we have flown. I find the flight attendants have the utmost respect for the customers that dont seem to understand when the seatbelt light is lit please stay seated. 2 thumbs up Alaska Airlines!

Rob and Rick M Richland, WA

Alaska Airlines is the best airline ever!!!! They always welcome my spouse Rick and I on board. I have PPMS, Multiple Sclerosis (primary progressive) and they always board us first...we travel first class anyway....the inflight service is awesome, and the f/a's are super! In fact, the staff at Alaska are 100%!!! Some of them became great friends!!! Two are with Alaska from the airline I retired from and we flew together!!!! Alaska is great! The only airline I fly on.

Pat Winter Springs, FL

I love Alaska Airlines. What sets Alaska Airlines apart from other airlines are the people. I have yet to meet an Alaska Airlines employee that wasn't friendly and helpful. I always feel so very special. My flights are usually 4 - 5 hours and I am a woman in her 70's traveling alone. Whenever a flight attendant passes by he or she always asks how I am doing and is there anything I need. I really do enjoy the whole Alaska Airlines experience. Thank you all so very much.

Paula Mariscal Anchorage, AK

I love the Club 49 free baggage. I don't know how many bags are free but my two daughters and I flew with 5 and they were all free. Great customer service during check in and on the flight. Our bags were off the plane in less than 15 mins. The new 737s are much roomier. Both my daughters (who are picky eaters)will eat the cheese and fruit plate that is offered for $7. Good job Alaska Airlines! Customer service is the way to keep people flying on your planes!

Nancy-Jo Nunez Sunnyvale, CA

They are wonderful. I've flown with them several times over the last 10 years for both business travel and personal travel. The staff was courteous, responsive to passengers needs and always attentive. The planes were always clean, they were on time and I always felt like they cared to make their passengers comfortable. I fly them whenever possible...I love this airline. The service is the best.

Barbara Billie Oak Harbor, WA

I love Alaska Airlines. Always the best. If anything comes up, they take care of it and you. One day we had to get off the plane because my grandson threw up before the plane took off. They put us up in a room for the night, no charge and we left the next evening. They took care of everything. Even the taxi to the hotel and back to the airport. Now that is great service to the customer. They are great with children. My grandsons have wings. They love Alaska Airlines as well. Its the only airline we use.

Wayne Frint Spokane, WA

Every time I have flown Alaska Airlines the service has been excellent. From the ticket counter when checking in my bag to the flight attendants on the aircraft has been the best of any airlines I have flown. On one of the legs, the pilot took time to explain all the features of the aircraft we would be flying on. That has never happened on any other airline I have flown on. Excellent touch.

Rosa Seattle, WA

I went to SF for a competition and booked my return flight the same day by accident. I called Alaska and they were kind enough to get let me fly without paying another ticket. I also had a family emergency a couple of years ago and already had a ticket for a different date. I explained to the customer service rep, I had just lost my loved. They reissued a ticket for the next available flight and asked how long I needed to stay and waived all the fees. I will not fly another airline but Alaska!

Carmen Moore Anchorage, AK

Alaska Airlines gets our top review for sure. We fly Alaska all the time. In addition, I have a mentally disabled son who flies from Michigan up here to Fairbanks, Alaska and back to Michigan from Fairbanks. Alaska Airlines has been more than helpful where we are all concerned. They are kind and caring and always watch out for him when he flies. We couldn't be happier with Alaska Airlines, believe me.

Andrew Z Long Beach, CA

Overall as a frequent flier, Alaska does a great job with making you feel valued as a customer. Great program and is my preferred airline of choice. Generally the staff, flight attendants, and associated employees are great, however some of their staff I've encountered aren't as friendly.

Patricia Miller Preston, ID

We fly Alaska several times a year! I can honestly say they are the best! The service is always friendly, helpful and considerate. We fly with grand children some of the time and the patience of the flight crew is wonderful! The pilot takes the children back to see the front cabin and gives them their own "wings"! How cool is that!

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Alaska Airlines has treated my family well while traveling to the upper northwest in the U.S. I generally use them for vacation travel to Alaska and surrounding regions. Always on time, always reliable. Alaska Airlines leads with service, price and convenient travel times.

John Burnside Colorado Springs, CO

Flying out today on Alaska Airlines and so far, it hasn't been pleasant. Booking went well enough and the price was right. However, trying to confirm booking 24 hours before the flight is crazy stupid. Can't select a seat unless I want to pay for an upgraded seat. I just want to sit next to my traveling companion on the 3 hour flight but can't even arrange that. Paid for a checked bag but could not get the tag to put on the bag. Everything has to be done with the gate agent which makes online check in of no value. Come on, Alaska!! It's 2019. Provide a means for the customer to serve themselves if you can't do it!!

McKinzie Figueroa Provo, UT

We used Alakan Airlines to fly out to Seattle, WA back in 2017. We loved it! We originally chose to use them because they were the most affordable at the time. They are now one of our favorite airlines to use! All of the staff were very kind and explained everything that was happening. The seats were very comfortable with plenty of room. We will definitely be using them again on our next flight!

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

We used to live in Seattle and Alaska Airlines was always the most convenient airline to use when flying out of there. They always had the shortest and most direct flights. Our hometown was Santa Barbara and they had a direct flight right into Santa Barbara which almost no one does, so that was so nice for us when we were going home.

Julia Soda Springs, ID

The flight attendants are always very friendly and helpful. The customer service agents seem to take their time with customers to make sure they are well accommodated. I’ve just always been impressed with their people and aircrafts.

Patrick Orem, UT

Alaska Airlines is from my home state! #Represent. I have flown Alaska Airlines at least 100+ times. I would fly back and forth between Ketchikan to Seattle and vice versa. The customer service is really great and they take really good care of Alaskans. I really recommend them.

Hyrum Sandy, UT

I've flown on Alaska several times over the years. Most recently I used them to ship my pet to his new home with a former roommate. The process was really straightforward and my cat made it to his new home without a hitch. Very satisfied with the service for myself and my cat.

Alex Murphy Reno, NV

I have never had a bad experience with Alaska until two weeks ago. Our flight home from San Francisco was canceled due to plane issues. Because of this, Alaska put us up in a hotel, rebooked our flight, and gave us a flight credit. We were very appreciative and will definitely be flying with them again.

Jonny Hancock Draper, UT

Was flying Alaska with my wife a couple of months ago and we just had coach tickets. We were standing in line at the gate waiting to board the plane and one of the Alaska employees working at the desk randomly pulled us over and upgrades us to first class right there! It was awesome.

Laura Anchorage, AK

I think Alaska Airlines helps a lot of customer in and out of Alaska. For me I am Alaskan and at times I can get reasonable travel deals so I can take a break from my job. Than helps me see how a company really works to benefit the people Customer service is fast and friendly

Viveca Wetzel Othello, WA

We use Alaska Airlines whenever we can because the experience is always good and everyone is friendly. We fly to Alaska every summer and feel that the price is better with Alaska Airlines. We also like the 20 minute baggage claim guarantee.

Stacey Thomas Monona, IA

As fairly frequent travelers, we are constantly frustrated to see airline personnel failing to enforce their own regulations regarding carryon bags. First – Stop allowing passengers seated in the back to stash their carryon bags in the overhead bins in earlier rows. As I understand it, federal regulations require that bags must be under the control of the passenger at all times. A passenger in row 21 has absolutely no control over the carryon they parked in the row 6 overhead bin. As you well know, the bins above a row are intended for the passengers seated in that row. When you allow that space to be taken up by passengers seated in other rows, you create needless frustration and inefficiency for the travelers who have lost access to the bins intended for them. Second – Get serious about refusing to allow passengers to board the plane with multiple bags that exceed the maximum carryon dimensions. If that second bag won't easily fit in the overhead bin, it needs to be checked. On our most recent flight from Seattle to Minneapolis, our already delayed flight was held up even longer due to a passenger (and flight attendant) struggling for several minutes to stuff an oversized bag into the overhead bin. While I am a staunch believer in customer service, when you allow (and thus enable) customers to flagrantly disregard your rules, you do a HUGE disservice to those of us who comply. Finally, my experience has been that allowing passengers to use the free “gate check” for carryons doesn't seem to impede the boarding process. However I do wonder why you encourage this as a workaround for travelers who obviously have multiple items that will not fit under the seat in front of them. It appears that you are enabling them to avoid paying for an additional bag that should be checked. Consider this – if passengers didn't have to be concerned with theft and damage by airline and airport personnel, most of us would be more than willing to pack some of our carryon items in our checked baggage (and thus reduce our carryon items even more). Until recently, Alaska Airlines was the only choice for travel (aside from ferries) from our community. As such I do not have much experience with other airlines. Overall, my experience with travel on Alaska Airlines has been positive, but you can certainly do more to improve areas of your service.

Cheryl Chrisman Fort Wainwright, AK

Having just flown United, I appreciate Alaska Airlines so much more! Baggage fees and seat upgrade fees added a substantial cost to my trip on UA! Club 49 saves me money on baggage and I don't have to pay more for "premium seating". $79 for 4 inches of legroom, really United? Let's not even talk about the 1 1/2 mile hike for a Chicago gate change...Next time, I stick with Alaska Air.

Rick Pierce Sacramento, CA

We really enjoy the direct flights from Sacramento to Maui Hawaii. The new seats are really comfortable for a 5 hour flight. The attendants are always very courteous and friendly. The planes are kept very clean and are well maintained.

Art Chance Anchorage, AK

I have over 300K miles and would be in the million mile group if I could have used the mileage plan when I was a federal employee. 90% of it is in Alaska or between Alaska and Seattle, but I've been to most of the places they fly around the Country. They aren't what they were in the late Eighties, early Nineties when they were a truly luxurious airline even in coach. Back before everything became chicken, we had chateau briand up front coming out of PVR. Anymore, they're still good and better than most. If you're flying within or to or from Alaska, nobody else even comes close.

Michael Simmons Fairbanks, AK

As a member of Club 49, I enjoy benefits others may not such as getting two free checked bags. Using an Alaska Airlines credit card allows me to pile up the mileage and get free trips. I've always had excellent service on Alaska Airlines. They are especially accommodating to Alaskans and our special needs.

Mary Steele Bandon, OR

I love Alaska Air. They are by far my preferred airline. They always offer a free beverage in economy and a very nice meal in first. The flight attendants are friendly and helpful. The flights are usually on time which is important if you are connecting.