Air Canada Logo

6.1

Trans-Canada Air Lines (TCA) was the predecessor of Air Canada and inaugurated its first flight in September 1937. In 1964, TCA had become Canada’s national airline and changed its name to Air Canada. Today Air Canada is among the 20 largest airlines in the world. They have a combination of Boeing, Airbus and Embraer aircraft and 27,000 employees. A founding member of Star Alliance, the world’s most comprehensive air transportation network, they fly to over 190 destinations across five continents. Between Air Canada and their partner airline, Air Canada Express, they served over 38 million passengers in 2014 alone.

Southwest Airlines Logo
#1 Southwest Airlines chevron_right
Delta Airlines Logo
#2 Delta Airlines chevron_right
JetBlue Logo
#3 JetBlue chevron_right

The Good

• Entertainment
  • Travel insurance
Available in-flight entertainment is a real crowd-pleasing amenity that airlines can offer. Air Canada provides this enjoyable feature completely free of charge. Every seat has a personal touch-screen TV with access to hundreds of hours of on demand audio and video entertainment. To be more specific, Air Canada's in-flight entertainment includes up to 150 movies in all genres and offered in over 20 different languages, up to 200 TV shows including documentaries and top rated TV series and more than 100 albums and playlists in many musical genres. Audio books and podcasts are also available for travelers' entertainment. Get full Internet access using Gogo Inflight Internet service for only $9.95, and connect handheld devices for only $7.95. RBC Insurance is the travel insurance provider for Air Canada. Detailed insurance quotes may be easily generated and purchased online after providing certain travel specifics including destination, number of travelers being covered under the policy and the current age of all travelers covered under the policy. With five comprehensive packages available, passengers are sure to find a policy that meets their travel insurance needs. -Deluxe Package: This package includes emergency medical insurance, cancellation and interruption insurance, flight accident and travel accident insurance, baggage and personal effects and coverage for travel outside of Canada. This package is available for individuals 74 and under. -Travel within Canada Package: This package includes emergency medical insurance, cancellation and interruption insurance, flight and accident travel accident insurance and baggage and personal effects. This package is available for all ages. -Non-Medical Package: This package includes cancellation and interruption insurance, flight accident and travel accident insurance, baggage and personal effects and coverage for travel outside of Canada. This package is available for all ages. -Classic Medical Plan: This package includes emergency medical insurance and coverage for travel outside of Canada. This package is available for individuals 59 and under. -Cancellation & Interruption Plan: This package includes cancellation and interruption insurance and coverage for travel outside of Canada. Although Air Canada does have policies in place to assist passengers after a flight has been cancelled or extremely delayed, this assistance is only offered under specific circumstances, like severe weather conditions. Thankfully, they also offer a program called On My Way. This program is a great benefit to passengers in the event of any airline initiated flight cancellation or extreme delay. Rebooking with On My Way entitles distressed passengers a seat on the very next available flight of their choosing with Air Canada, one of its partners or any other North American airline. (Some of these available North American airlines include Delta Airlines, United Airlines and Alaska Air.) Paying for meals, hotels and rental cars in the event of a flight cancellation or major delay is something passengers dread; with On My Way, not only are those things paid for, the On My Way agents even make the arrangements for you. Lastly, On My Way agents are available 24/7 to assist distressed passengers with any unexpected travel needs that may arise. The cost for On My Way service on short-haul flights (up to 1,000 miles) is $25 per one-way trip, and $35 per one-way trip on long-haul flights (1,001 miles or more.)

The Bad

• Limited rewards
  • On-time percentage
While it's nice that Air Canada participates in the Star Alliance Upgrade Awards program, the benefits with this specific airline aren't really anything to be excited about. The awards can only be redeemed on certain flights, which make it quite a hassle for travelers to actually use. These awards can be used toward marketed and operated Air Canada or Air Canada Express flights but only if passengers purchase a Latitude fare (booking Y or B) or Premium fare (booking class O). Awards may not be used on codeshare flights, flights operated by Air Canada rouge and flights departing from various airports around the United States and Cuba. Being on time is a core characteristic of a good, reliable airline. With the schedule-oriented travelers of today, the fact that Air Canada is on time with only 76% success is far less than appealing. Records show that flights were late 9% of the time and excessively late 8% of the time. The inconvenience of a late flight is something no traveler, whether for business or pleasure, wants to be bothered with.

The Bottom Line

Air Canada has been in business for 78 years and has had plenty of time to iron out a few kinks. They offer a fair amount of destinations, impressive in-flight entertainment, and multiple more than adequate travel insurance options. With competitive pricing and an honorable mission to provide "safety first and last" and "make every Customer feel Valued," there really is no reason not to book a flight with Air Canada.

3.9

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Air Canada is easily the best airline in Canada. I have flown with them and they offer expedient service, flight crews that are easily the most professional and most courteous. I always find great discount options too. They make flying in Canada easy and smart.

Patrick Orem, UT

I flew to visit friends in Ottawa using Air Canada. It was a great deal. The staff was great and everything was well connected. They gave us 4 hours to go through customs, which was great. The planes are really nice as well.

Larry Hawker Las Vegas, NV

Had a great experience on Air Canada. Service exceeded expectations and it was a great value flying from Las Vegas to Vancouver. I can't think of anything that could have made my experience better.

Elizabeth Klemm Tallahassee, FL

My family and I used to go to Canada for a few weeks every summer when I was a competitive figure skater. The few times we flew instead of drove we had a very pleasant experience with Air Canada. Their staff was very helpful and the flight was easy.

Erika Shumway Managua, MN

Air Canada is amazing! They make traveling possible for someone who is on a budget. Their flights are very affordable. I booked a flight to France and it was half of what I would have paid through another airline. I highly recommend Air Canada.

Customer 1 Rome, NY

The return flight was a little rough. One of the airline attendants packed an overhead compartment wrong and when it was time to reopen the compartment during the flight, a fellow passengers cane fell out and smashed into my face

Cyndi

Air Canada recently cancelled my daughters flight home. She was staying in Quebec studying French this summer. Her flight was delayed 36 hrs and even though Air Canada has policy on their website stating that minors from the age of 12 to 17 travelling without an adult will be provide accommodations, transportation and meals. We were told they do not have a policy and our child was on her own. This flight was cancelled due to weather but all other air lines were flying. I would never book a flight again with a company that finds it acceptable practice to strand minors with no care for there safety. And are Air Canada's planes so bad that they are grounded when other companies can fly.

Madison Kneiss Long Beach, MS

i have only flown once with this airline but the overall experience was great. all until the male host walked into the bathroom with my half naked young son. he did this on purpose. my son was horrified. other than that the plane was was big nice leg room

Tom Gourley Pleasant Grove, UT

Air Canada has always gone out of their way to help me with my travel needs and questions when I have used them. On one occasion my flight on another carrier was cancelled and Air Canada came thru and got me to my desired destination happily and efficiently.

D. Amaolo

They delayed our flight for so long we had to pay full fare to another airline to get to our connection point in time. This airline (1) flies if it feels like it (2) cancels flights constantly based on "technical" problems. (If they have that many technical problems should they really be flying?) and (3) couldn't care less about their passengers. If will walk rather than fly with this airline.

Bruce Knipe Maple Ridge, BC

I'd have to state I was a diabetic when they still served food, so they would make a meal special for me, to avoid bumping which was rampant with this airline when I last flew with them.

Daniel Poaletti

The flight was very comfortable. They have individual TVs and USB ports. They bring around drinks and food on longer flights. I really enjoyed the flight!

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

I flew from the US to Canada to get a flight to take me over the pond since my work chose to send me on a Tuesday. The number of flights were limited, so we went with Air Canada, which got me to my destination on time.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

I have flown with Air Canada several times when traveling the northwest. I have always been impressed with good pricing, on time flights, and clean planes. Love them!

Roberson Salt Lake City, UT

I have flown Air Canada a few times coming into Toronto as well as Vancouver, prices are usually competitive with rival companies however it is easier to find deals and discounts with Air Canada,

Kent Lehi, UT

I fly to Canada often to hunt. I travel with a firearm and some airlines have policies that make it difficult. Air Canada has always take good care of us when it comes to the firearms.

Sergio Provo, UT

Very hospital and profession on my trips to and from Canada. Nothing unprofessional was seen

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

Great Canadian airline with cheap domestic flights. Staff is very attentive and planes are spacious.

Zabsanti Silverhill, AL

The customer service is one of the best I ever seen. They placed a piece of lemon in my soda and it was the best thing I ever had. thank you

Cim Carver Cheyenne, WY

Air Canada is the best option really when getting around Canada. Some of their fleet is old but they have good customer service.

Zac Cannon Gulfport, MS

I flew on Air Canada going to Toronto a few years ago. It was a great flight and the amenities were great!

Elaine Coulter

Friendly and helpful staff. Explained reason for late flights.

Laura M Dixon

Always on time, friendly attentive staff, Fair prices for the airfare

Mazi Marcel Womack Cedar City, UT

Canada Air is a great airline. Their prices are reasonable and so are their planes.

Tony the toon Pensacola, FL

Canada Air is a great airline but Their prices are too high and are 90% delayed.

Hot Diggity Dawg

they don;t do any thing well. they purposly oversell flights and it's a gamble if you get on your booked flight

Anonymous San Jose, CA

Leg room in the seats. Good customer service