An Open Door facilitates infant adoptions in the state of Georgia and adoptions of older children internationally in Poland, Serbia, Mexico, Peru, Ukraine, Lithuania, Latvia, China, and Bulgaria. The agency has placed over 2,100 children since it began operating in 1987, placing close to 200 children in 2015.

They recently began a program to place Georgia’s foster children into permanent homes with little to no cost to adoptive families.

American Adoptions chevron_right
Bethany Christian Services chevron_right
1.4
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border
Independent Adoption Center chevron_right

The Good

• Adoption process
  • Dealing with revocation
  • Ongoing correspondence

The degree of openness of an adoption (open, semi-open, or closed) is determined by the birth mother and all types are facilitated here. The majority are semi-open, where the birth mother and adoptive parents communicate regularly through the agency.

Adoption Process

The wait time for couples to adopt in Georgia is usually between 6-12 months. International wait times are more variable and often involve extensive planning and a trip or multiple trips to the country of choice. The agency has pursued several different routes to placement internationally. Some families see a specific child on a waiting list. Others decide to adopt after hosting an older international child in their home. A referral might be offered to an agency from a particular country, and a family can pursue or keep looking elsewhere. For foster care adoption, families can look on the website for waiting children, discuss with the program coordinator, and apply to the program once they've decided to pursue a match. At that point, they complete Georgia's IMPACT training for foster care adoption and a home study process as well. The mandatory training program for domestic adoptions is a full day, in-person preparation session. For international adoptions, the adoptive parents must complete 10 hours of couple training, either in a group setting or online. Both of these trainings teach how to help a child cope with the change, anticipating other needs, and accessing resources needed in the future.

Dealing with Revocation

In the state of Georgia, the birth mother must wait 24 hours to sign the legal papers to place her child with an adoptive family. After that, she has ten days to change her mind. This revocation period can understandably be stressful for all parties involved and revocation occurs in about 25% of situations. If agency workers think revocation is likely in a certain case, they may recommend placing the child temporarily with one of their Caring Homes until the ten days are up, which can help soften the emotional blow to adoptive families in some cases. After that, adoptive parents can proceed with the adoption after further home visitations, reports, and a court appearance. Post-adoption counseling and therapy are not included in the placement fee, but the agency is happy to provide recommendations. Some international adoption support groups are available to interested families.

Ongoing Correspondence

Long after adoption takes place, birth parents who place with An Open Door are provided with regular updates about their child through the agency. The agency facilitates communication and sharing on behalf of the adopted child and the birth mother. After an infant is placed with an adopted family, the family signs a mandatory correspondence agreement. Every month for the first six months of the baby's life, the family completes "sharing sheets" and sends photographs to the agency's headquarters, where they are forwarded to the birth mother or kept on file for later reference (if she elects not to receive them). After that, sharing sheets and photographs are to be shared at least every birthday until the child is 21. Of course, if the birth mother and adoptive family decide on a more open adoption, they can communicate directly throughout the child's life. The agency provides information about the Georgia reunion registry, which allows for adult adopted children to find birth parents and siblings if those family members, too, consent to be on the registry.

The Bad

• Fees and financial aid
  • Eligibility requirements

Fees and Financial Aid

The agency's application fee is $300. Beyond that, the company isn't as transparent as some other agencies about what to expect beforehand. The estimated total of fees and timing of payment can be determined after a consultation over the phone or in one of their eleven locations in Georgia state: Albany, Atlanta (4 locations), Columbus, Macon, Rome, Savannah, Thomasville, or Valdosta. With the agency operating in nine different countries, the cost from one placement situation to another can vary drastically. Travel to a child's country can range from one to three trips over the adoption process, so families can expect to pay a pretty penny when adopting internationally.

Eligibility Requirements

An Open Door's eligibility guidelines are a little more narrow as they are targeting a Christian demographic. They state that adoptive couples must be between 24-45 years of age, married at least three years, and belong to the Christian faith. The application gives each prospective parent the opportunity to explain his or her faith through a series of questions, starting with, "What is the significance of Jesus Christ in your life?" The exception to the marriage requirement is that single women can adopt through Bulgaria, Latvia, China, or Peru. Each country has its own set of additional adoption guidelines, and agencies within those countries may have further requirements. For example, adoptive parents must meet China's relatively stringent standards for income and BMI (body mass index).

The Bottom Line

For families wanting to adopt domestically in Georgia, this agency can't be beat for convenience. With 11 locations throughout the state, prospective parents and birth mothers alike can often meet with a caseworker in person the same day they call the agency. And though international adoption in general is especially pricey, An Open Door doesn't leave families without direction in regards to financing options. They've created an extensive list of financial aid resources in a PDF here. It includes everything from the federal adoption tax credit to scholarships to fundraising ideas and websites.

1.0

Christian Tuggle
November 12th, 2018 Riverdale, GA

I would not trust these people with a glass of water, let alone my baby. I will list my issues with them: - The first time I was supposed to meet with the adoption agency employee, Jessica, she stood me up. I should’ve listened to my gut then. - Next, she tells me that I will receive assistance with bills, rent, maternity clothes, and food while I’m pregnant so I’m not struggling while making this decision and doing them a favor. - When I brought up needing the help after seeing that it wasn’t happening, I was told that the help is given on a “case by case basis” and that she’ll forward the information to her boss about me needing help getting maternity clothes, paying rent, and paying my phone bill as previously discussed. Why not tell your boss when we first talked about it? I never received any help whatsoever by the way. - She showed up late to take me to a prenatal appointment and kept repeating herself about how I need to tell my doctor about the adoption plan. She also mentioned several times that I have to let her come to the back with me at my appointments moving forward. There was constant pressure and constant demands. - She asked extremely personal questions in the waiting room at the doctor’s office in front of strangers. She asked how long me and my baby’s father were together before we started having sex. She also asked me to name different places we had sex. - She claimed that she would help me get my baby’s father to verify his ability to assist with the care of the child before I made my decision. I told her that if he could prove that he’d help, I would not have any reason to consider adoption. Once I provided his contact information she changed her story and said that contacting him would be their LAST priority because he has no rights. - She dropped me off after the prior mentioned prenatal appointment hungry, knowing I hadn’t eaten because I said it SEVERAL times. I had to spend my bus money to get food. - She claimed several times that she would support my decision and continue to help me if I decided to keep my baby. She also claimed that she would send me several helpful resources for single moms if I did keep my baby. After telling her that I wanted to keep him, she constantly made up stories as to why she couldn’t send the resources. She claimed that the resources didn’t apply to me and that she’d send them later. She never sent me anything. - She never wanted to text. This is a red flag to me because it shows that the person doesn’t want any proof of what they said. Although I do have texts to confirm a few of the statements I have made.