American Adoptions, based in Overland Park, Kansas, facilitates about 300 domestic adoptions each year throughout the United States. It is a fully licensed, not-for-profit agency that works across the nation. The agency has three different placement programs: traditional, agency-assisted, and identified adoption. All programs include adoption education, birth parent support and counseling, and documenting finalization.

Bethany Christian Services chevron_right
1.4
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border
Independent Adoption Center chevron_right

The Good

• Family Profile
  • Adoption Disruption Insurance
  • Agency-Assisted Program
  • Breakdown

Family Profile

American Adoptions Clients are given a Show Pro Media video kit to film footage for a video profile to showcase to birthparents in addition to still photos. They have 15 days to film necessary footage, which can include neighborhood, pets, home, family members' personalities, talents, and anything else that prospective parents want birth parents to see. Video specialists are available to help with this process and turn it into a cohesive video for birth parents to view online and watch repeatedly throughout the adoption process and beyond.

Adoption Disruption Insurance

In the event of most adoption disruptions – such as if the matched birth mother decides to parent after all – American Adoptions will refund any lost fees to clients, including living and medical expenses on behalf of the birth mother, legal expenses, and fixed agencies. The agency makes it clear that this is a direct refund back to the client rather than a policy that rolls fees over to a new adoption situation within the agency. They have refunded 100% of lost fees in 98% of families' adoption disruptions.

Agency-Assisted Program

American Adoptions aims to bring light the shortage of families adopting babies of African-American descent through the agency-assisted program. Parents must be 22-50 years old. This program has two main advantages over the traditional program. First, adoptive parents in this program get more exposure to birthmothers. Second, there is generally a shorter waiting time to adopt (2-15 months from approval to placement). The total cost ranges from $38,000 to $41,000.

Capable Fees

The application is $295 and the fees depend on the state of residence, birthmother living expenses, medical and legal fees, and travel costs. Adoptive parents can set a cap on the total amount of money they are willing to pay to complete an adoption, and will only be presented to birthmothers whose situations cost less than that amount. Identified adoptions, where the adoptive family and birthparents match on their own then seek adoption services, will have an individualized fee schedule depending on services needed.

The Bad

• Costly Traditional Program
  • Gender-Specific Fee

Costly Traditional Program

While similar to the agency-assisted program in its process, the traditional program is generally more costly. Additionally, parents with more than two children already must participate in the agency-assisted program, where other families can choose between the two. Parents must be 25-50 years old. The wait time for this program is 1-12 months from approval to placement and the range of total cost is between $44,000 and $48,000.

Gender-Specific Fee

The agency charges an extra fee for adoptive parents who want to request a specific gender. This does make the process more expensive for adoptive parents who are trying to fill a specific spot in their family.

The Bottom Line

The gender-specific fee seems extraneous when many agencies allow parents to set preferences regarding sex, race, and other criteria at no extra cost. Additionally, larger families (with 2+ children) can only adopt African-American babies. Aside from these preference limitations, American Adoptions stands out from the rest with its risk-sharing program. It also has the most secure refund policy. Where the stakes for financial devastation can be high with multiple failed adoptions, clients can choose American Adoptions without that specific worry.

Justin
May 24th, 2019 Washington, DC DETAILS

We have adopted two of our children with the help of American Adoptions. Adoptions are always very emotional experiences for all parties involved and American Adoptions’ vast experience and professionalism were invaluable in navigating the emotional turbulence. They are truly available at all times, always willing to talk and address any questions and genuinely interested in finding solutions to the very many issues that inevitably emerge. We are very grateful to American Adoptions for helping us become parents to our two wonderful sons. We would definitely recommend them.

Jackie
May 16th, 2019 Spokane, WA

As a birth mother I was so happy I chose American. They really care about the birth mother, never forcing her to pick adoption and inly giving her information and support (no matter her choice). I felt like a human being who was cared for when I talked to them. They made sure I knew I had choices and they would support any one choice I made. Or help me get the information to made an informed decision. I love them and would recommend them to everyone.

February 6th, 2019 Glendale, AZ

I contacted American adoptions really late into my pregnancy around January and I'm due this month and since then they've made everything so easy even though everything is so last minute I even found the perfect family in such a short period of time I did have another family in mind but the wife was already 6 weeks pregnant so American Adoptions took no time into sending me more profiles and contacting the family I have chosen I love my specialist she goes over everything with me and makes sure I am doing okay they've also helped me pay my rent which I needed the most due to me having to quit my job I would definitely recommend anyone who is considering adoption to choose American Adoptions.

Lacey K Pavel
January 3rd, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS

This agency care more about the adoptive family then they do about the birth mothers. DO NOT GO THROUGH THEM, esp if you are looking to have a closed adoption or semi closed. Absolutely awful people to deal with, every altercation i had with them was a headache. They made an experience that was already stressful and hard, even more so. I specifically asked them not to send pictures, and they did. I send over copies of hospital Bill's that were from birthing baby and they agreed to pay, now my bills are almost in collections, regardless of my constant communication with them. THAT DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE BIRTH MOMS. I'm telling you, look else where and avoid the headache, listen to the warning on here form the other birth mothers.

Janelle Koehler
August 20th, 2018 Poquoson, VA

I had a very good experience with American Adoptions. From day 1, I felt supported. I made the decision to put my twins up for adoption when I was about 4/5 months pregnant. Blake was with me from the day I contacted the agency to now (I am almost 6 weeks post partum). She explained everything in detail and helped me complete forms when requested. She shared her experiences and allowed me to make my own decisions on what I wanted post-adoption. Once I met with the local sister agency, I felt even more support from Lauren, the specialist there. I still text with her post-adoption as well. The agency was sure to cover EVERYTHING and were sure that I was comfortable and knowledgeable about every decision I was making. Then I met a family and they were amazing. The process went smoothly thanks to Blake and Lauren. I never felt alone. I would recommend this agency to anyone who is considering adoption.

William S Koehler
May 3rd, 2018 Union, KY DETAILS

We used American Adoptions for our second adoption. We are a gay couple, and already had a 2 year old daughter, so we were expecting the process to be long for us- however, we fell right in the average wait time they quoted us when we started with them! Our caseworker, Emily, and the our birth mother specialist Kathryn were absolutely amazing, supporting, attentive, and knowledgeable. They were there every step (sometimes even before we needed them!) giving us advice and tips to comfortable and successful. They were honest and upfront, and never made us feel pressured. Most importantly, they were always there (still are) for our birth mother. She loved them! We would highly recommend them (and do to everyone we know considering adoption), and will use them again if we decide to adopt again!

Gina
April 30th, 2018 Dittmer, MO

As a birth mom, American Adoptions has been with us every step of the way, from finding the perfect family, to getting the mental help needed after placement. They truly care about everyone involved.

Sarah Mathews
April 19th, 2018 Liberty, MO

It has been a "wonderful" experience in a very scary and traumatic time. The people at American Adoptions are absolutely incredible. They walk you through the process with total concern for the birth mom helping her all along the way. They then have a birth mom counselor, Michelle, that is beyond what you can imagine helping the birth mom through the process and the time afterwards. She is so warm and non judgmental that I think anyone could talk to her. Both the social worker and Michelle came to visit my daughter at the hospital. I highly recommend American Adoptions.

Kaity Meador
April 19th, 2018 Scott City, KS

I absolutely loved working with American Adoptions. They are so supportive and helpful. They are always checking on you or just there for somebody to talk to. They made the process of putting my son up for adoption easy. I love the family we picked for him.

Victoria luster
April 17th, 2018 Great Bend, KS

My experience with American Adoptions was amazing! They were always very informative and always made sure I was comfortable in every way. Blake was my adoption agent and she was so understanding and always checked to make sure I felt okay every step of the way. I couldn’t ask for a better person to be there for me.

Julianna Minotty-Mendelsohn
March 23rd, 2018 Vero Beach, FL DETAILS

We adopted our daughter through American in 2016. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone pursuing domestic infant adoption. If we decide to adopt again we will use them again for sure. They are professional, ethical, and most importantly, they treated both us the adoptive parents and our daughter's birthmother with respect and compassion.

Lakisha Johnson
March 14th, 2018 Lancaster, TX

I am a birth mother who was dealing with American Adoptions for months throughout my pregnancy. It was a horrible, extremely inconsiderate and my confidentiality was breached in every way possible. At 1st I thought American Adoptions was great and then I started seeing major issues in different areas of the process. I ended up giving birth early due to high blood pressure. American Adoption local worker was suppose to bring my hospital plan for me to do along with legal papers for me to review. The worker lost the paperwork and made no effort to get the paperwork again and allow me to do my hospital plan and look at the legal aspect of the situation. I gave birth to a 3 lb baby that was in the NICU. American Adoptions didn't care about them dropping the ball with my hospital plan and called the hospital told them my baby was adopted. Had every nurse, doctor,etc asking me about the adoption and I had people against adoption harrassing me. American Adoptions blamed their dropping the ball with my hospital plan and what came next with the adoption process on me giving birth weeks early. They didn't care I gave birth to a 3 lb baby and started these disrespectful very transparent antics to get me to sign the adoption papers now!!. Their staff is highly trained in mediating these adoption arrangements and they are extremely manipulative and to me they prey on the birth mother's vunerablility in a horrible way. All birth mothers aren't chosing adoption because they're on drugs or have no education. Some of us birth mothers are choosing adoption for other reasons. This is suppose to be a non profit organization but I see American Adoptions motives are not geniuiue and they most definitely have a hidden agenda. I ended up not signing and would not recommend American Adoptions to anyone. They are extremely manipulative and very good with the gift of gab. Adoption is about innocent babies, gracious people and birth mother's going through one thing or another. Never should the principal of the situation be taken for granted.

Amelia
January 29th, 2018 Champaign, IL

I’m working with them right now I’m pregnant and I’m trying to Put my baby with a different family. Truthfully me and my boyfriend are blown away at their lack or urgency. They have really made this expeirnce so much more stressful I really regret working with them. For starters, I started working with a different adoption specialist (like the person you work with that finds families ect) and she had to take a leave which would have been fine if I had been informed. I had been calling over and over and leaving messages and no one had told me. Finally after like a month later they told me she was out and got me a new adoption specialist. So I let that go because I was still early in the pregnancy. So I started working with a new adoption specialist and that was fine I filled out all of the paper work and they gave me profiles, none of them ended up working out so they sent me more and I picked a new top 3. So I start getting closer and closer to my due date and they couldn’t find the families and don’t tell me until I called and asked what was going on. I told them how important it is for me to get to know the families many times and they’ve repeatedly told me that would happen I’m supposed to have visits before the baby comes. I’m 30 weeks now and have yet to have any contact and they have not contacted the family they put on hold for me. What if this family isn’t right? I don’t have a lot of time and I really don’t have enough time to get to know a family at all. I’ve been calling and still have gotten no call back I’ve left messages and honestly can’t believe how they’re treating this, in the beginning they say they understand how hard this is but honestly how can you put this off like this? I have no idea if I’m gonna get along with them or anything and from how long this is taking I don’t have time to get another profile and to top it all off I can’t work with any other agency. To make matters worse I was supposed to receive financial aid and help with rent, food, maternity clothes, and medical bills. At 30 weeks they’ve just gotten me approved for help with rent and I still haven’t gotten anything for maternity clothes or food. I honestly extremely regret working with this company. The support they’re saying they will provide has not been given. This is just awful. I wish I would have worked with someone else and they have made this experience extremely stressful

Sonya LaFoy
August 24th, 2017 Sterrett, AL

We adopted our little girl, Hannah Grace, in 2015. We are so glad that we picked American Adoptions to be our agency. Best decision we have ever made!! Before we were with American Adoptions, we were with two other agencies and we had a bad time with both of those. AMERICAN ADOPTIONS MADE OUR DREAMS COME TRUE!! We had been signed up 12 months exactly when we got a call that a little girl had been born and it was outside our APQ because of money but most everything else was EXACTLY what we had been waiting for. I feel CERTAIN that God used American Adoptions to help bring our little girl into our family. American Adoptions was awesome through out the process and still to this day, if I have a question about anything , I can always call and talk with the councelors any time I need to. They are always just a phone call away. If you decide to go with them, they will do everything in their power to help you with anything that is going on. I will never forget all the pep talks that my adoption specialist gave me during my journey. I could not have done it without them by my side. I definitely give them an "A +" . You cant go wrong when you choose AMERICAN ADOPTIONS!!

Mike Belfonte
May 18th, 2016 Overland Park, KS

I am an adoption attorney and have been working with American Adoptions since 1995 representing their adoptive parent families in Kansas and Western Missouri. They have been an outstanding and invaluable resource for adoptive families in assisting them with their dreams of becoming adoptive parents as well as providing counseling services and adoption planning for women and men who are faced with an unplanned pregnancy and have chosen American Adoptions as their adoption resource. As an adoption attorney for over 25 years, I have referred numerous adoptive families and birth parents to American Adoptions and plan to continue to do so as the professional services they provide both pre-adoption and post-adoption are top notch.

Frank Saunders
March 8th, 2016 Gardner, KS

We experienced a decade of infertility before we committed to adoption. There was no pressure, there was no sales pitch. We met with an adoption adviser, and she laid out a realistic game plan based upon our profile, which was very specific, and our budget, which was very limited ($25,000). She prepared us for a 2-year wait period. We were extremely frustrated at that prospect. American Adoptions helped us with cost of home study. Less than a month after our home study was done, we matched. Our entire team helped with the trepidations we had in the quick turnaround, counseled us. They did an amazing job of walking with us at a quick pace to get to our daughter by her delivery. There was a social worker on site to comfort and assist us and to provide the same for the birth mother. Our team back home was relentless on our behalf. American's staff in FL and KS insured that we were ok, and got our daughter home to her nursery as quickly as possible. Our adoption counselor and our attorney assisted us to expedite finalization and stabilize our daughter's home life. The social workers here and in FL helped to establish and stabilize a constant line of communication between our family and our daughter's birth mother. The agency provided us notary public service and all of the expertise and guidance to get our daughter's necessary paperwork, and all of the tax and corporate means to recover our costs. American Adoptions helped to bring our family together, they've been there every step of the way, and remain there to this day. Do not waste your precious time and money anywhere else.

Jenny Nehrbass
March 8th, 2016 Overland Park, KS

We adopted through American Adoptions 13 years ago and it was a fabulous experience. Our wait time was only 2 months before matching. We also adopted another child through a different agency. We found that although adoption is expensive, American was far below the other agency. Our process went smoothly and there were no difficulties. We loved all of the staff. They helped us along every step of the way. I will say that the "waiting for a match" is a very difficult time in the process. Much of your wait is determined by the specifications put down in your paperwork. We were fairly open in our requests and there had a very short wait time. We have recommended American Adoptions to friend and they have also had successful adoptions.