Jawbone is a wearable device company that has been in business since 2000.  The company is truly focused on helping guide people to a healthier life. "Get UP and find the better version of you" is their motto and all of their devices have been designed with this in mind.  They provide personalized insight for users and are a world leader in consumer technology.  Jawbone's approach to fitness tracking is unique, with over 600 patents related to its technology and processes.

Rank Chart
#3
#4
Jawbone Reviews
7.0

The Good

First, Jawbone’s UP system is truly impressive. It features an open API, which allows it to seamlessly integrate with other fitness and weight loss apps, including the popular RunKeeper, MyFitnessPal, Strava and Lose It! apps. Offering so many integration options means that you can easily get a full, detailed picture of your health, as well as have the option to tailor the tracking to your specific needs rather than work within the confines of only one app. This also saves time, as you’ll only need to check one app to see your status instead of three or four. UP is also well-designed from an aesthetic standpoint: it’s easy to read and navigate, and houses details in themed groups so you don’t have to click through multiple screens.

Second, if tracking food is a priority for you, the UP is a wise choice. You can log how much water you drink and what you eat, including selecting from lists of popular restaurant menus, to keep track of your calorie and nutrition intake. And UP’s Healthy Food Score feature will make it easy to see if you’re on track.

Third, Jawbone offers 4 different devices, depending on what you as a user want.  The UP Move is a baseline tracker for people wanting to focus on health and weight loss.  The UP4 has detailed activity and sleep tracking with AMEX payment built in, for those wanting to be thoroughly involved in their fitness.  The UP Move is only $49.99 and the Up4 is $199.99, with the UP2 and 3 in between.

The Bad

The biggest drawback of the UP System is that there are no lights or display screen – you’ll have to check the app if you want to monitor your progress throughout the day. You also won’t receive any reminder alerts with the cheaper model, so you’ll need to keep yourself motivated and moving by remembering to check the app or harnessing your competitive spirit.

The Bottom Line

Jawbone is truly an innovative leader with its software platform, but it could improve upon its device design by adding sync options to the cheaper model. A display screen would be a nice option as well, however, the software is so appealing that you’ll probably be tempted to check it several times a day anyway – so you may not even notice that you don’t have a display screen.

Jawbone Up4

The Jawbone UP system is truly innovative and features many options for all different lifestyles.  The UP4 is very advanced in its tracking abilities and offers a feature, unlike other fitness tracker competitors.  It features:

• Smart Coach: Jawbone created Smart Coach to give you personal insights and advice.  It takes all of your data and analyzes it to give you input to reach your fitness, sleep, and overall health goals.  It is the closest thing to a computerized personal trainer, as far as fitness trackers go.
  • Activity Tracking: Log different workout types to get a better idea of your daily activity.
  • Steps, Calories, Distance: Track your steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed, and active minutes.
  • Automatic Advanced Sleep Tracking: Jawbone UP4 automatically tracks and logs your quality of sleep with a built-in accelerometer, tracking wake, REM, light, and deep sleep.
  • Alarm:  Jawbone identifies the best moment to wake you and vibrates withing 30 mins before your set alarm time.
  • Idle Alert: If you aren’t up and moving, UP Idle Alert allows you to set reminders to stay active during the day.  Your band will vibrate, letting you know when you need to pick up your activity.
  • Health Heart Monitoring: The Jawbone UP4 measures your resting heart rate and passive heart rate for you!
  • Wireless Syncing: Jawbone UP trackers are always connected via Bluetooth Smart, so you never have to worry about plugging in.
  • AMEX Payments: Jawbone has created an awesome user experience by incorporating a payment feature to the Jawbone UP4 tracker.  Connect your device to an eligible American Express Card to enable tap to pay, right from your wrist. This feature is truly unique to fitness tracking devices.

Jawbone Up3

Jawbone claims that the Jawbone UP3 is “the world’s most advanced tracker”.  And it is quite advanced, providing features that are more advanced than other fitness trackers on the market.  The Jawbone UP3 contains all features of the Jawbone UP4, without the American Express Payments.  See below.

• Automatic Advanced Sleep Detection & Tracking: Jawbone UP3 automatically tracks and logs your quality of sleep with a built-in accelerometer, tracking wake, REM, light, and deep sleep.
  • Health Heart Monitoring: The Jawbone UP3 measures your resting heart rate and passive heart rate for you!

Jawbone Up2

The Jawbone UP2 offers a wide range of features, tailored towards helping people live a healthier life.  It has all of the features of the UP3, except for heart health monitoring and advanced sleep tracking.  However, it is significantly lower in price than the UP3, so if you aren’t interested in tracking your heart rate, than this version of the UP is better for your needs.

• Automatic Sleep Detection & Tracking: Jawbone UP2 automatically tracks and logs your quality of sleep with a built-in accelerometer, tracking wake, light, and phases of sleep.

Jawbone Up Move

The UP Move is focused on getting fit while having fun.  It can be used as a clip-on or used with a strap for convenience.  Featured as Jawbone’s basic fitness tracking option, it still provides you with a load of great features for tracking your active life.  The Jawbone UP Move includes features, such as:

• Sleep Tracking: Jawbone UP Move tracks and logs your quality of sleep with a built-in accelerometer, tracking wake, light, and phases of sleep.  Just make sure to wear UP Move on your wrist for best results.
  • Time: The Jawbone Up Move is the only Jawbone tracker that has a built-in LED time display.

X close
X close

71 Jawbone Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

0=WORST 10=BEST

2. Subject For This Review*(Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

or

1. User Score

August 26th, 2015 Pittsburgh, PA

Have had my Jawbone sine Jan 2015. Love the app. I sync it 2-3 times a day. I use My Fitness Pal for logging my meals. The button is starting to give me problems, though. I did email customer service and they offered to replace it under warranty. Not sure if I want to stay with this model. Thinking I will try a different one when this one stops working.

2. User Score

August 25th, 2015 Irvine, CA

What a piece of JUNK!!! I had 6 Jawbone Up’s in 9 months! Each being replaced on warranty. Each died a quick death. I am not hard on devices. I’m the kind of person that keeps my phone in my pocket with nothing else because I don’t want scratches on it. But this thing would die because of bad batteries, wouldn’t sync, etc. One lasted only a week! The worst part about it is that the company absolutely refused to give me a refund. They would continue to replace but no refund. At the end they wanted to replace my $149 UP band with the $49 Move product. I was so upset and insulted, I just stopped. One of THE WORST products and company experiences EVER! DO NOT BUY!!!!!

3. User Score

August 25th, 2015 Franklin Lakes, NJ

I love my Jawbone..Easy to use and gives me helpful tips and reminds me to keep on track!

4. User Score

August 24th, 2015 Mobile, AL

I have been on my UP 24 for 2 years. It finally died so I bought another one. I LOVE this company.

5. User Score

August 21st, 2015 San Rafael, CA

The first one crapped out on me within about 8 months. (Button stopped working.) It was readily replaced under warranty. The replacement crapped out in about 6 months; same problem. They initially refused to replace it because the warranty was only a year. Of course, the logic there is idiotic as the one I had was only about 6 months old. After some hassling and, to be frank, threats about social media commentary, they finally replaced the second one. Lo and behold, that one crapped out in another 6 months – same issue with button (obviously a design flaw) – and I didn’t bother going back to them. Jawbone is dead to me. Happy so far with my FitBit.

6. User Score

August 20th, 2015 Newport, RI

I like the UP when it was working, but it stopped working after about three weeks. The customer service was good and sent a warranty replacement. However, that didn’t work after the first day.

I was not able to charge the UP and the application stopped syncing.

Also, the band closure slides a lot. That meant that the sensors werent’ next to my skin.

My first monitor of this kind was a BodyMedia plus which I had for a year. it’s unsightly (a really unattractive armband type thing) which Jawbone purchased.

Love the idea of these monitors but I haven’t seen the ONE that works as well as BodyMedia without the ugly band..

7. User Score

August 19th, 2015 Manhattan, KS

My son has the Jawbone UP he only had it for 5 months before it stop working! He loved it when it worked! He is one that takes very good care of his things, so I’m very disappointed in this product! Would not recommend this to a friend…and for the price he didn’t even get $10 a month wear from it! Call the company about it and got no nothing! So sad!

8. User Score

August 18th, 2015 Mountain View, CA

The Jawbone UP is the worst device I’ve ever owned. I loved it when it worked, but over the course of 18 months of normal usage, I went through a total of 9, meaning they lasted an average of 2 months. Considering all my troubles I inquired about upgrading to the UP24 and even paying the difference. Support ‘couldn’t’ do that and emails to executives at the company went unanswered.

I’m extremely disappointed and because of this experience will never purchase another Jawbone product.

9. User Score

August 18th, 2015 Detroit, MI

I loved the Jawbone UP, but I have went through 6 bands in less than a year each. I have been very unhappy with the quality the bands and I hope Jawbone fixes the issues with the bands because their product is revolutionary

10. User Score

August 18th, 2015 Stoughton, WI

I have been with Jawbone’s UP since March 24th, 2013. I have enjoyed the UP 24 and now the UP3. My wife is also utilizing the UP products, currently on the UP Move. I have an adult autistic son that is also on the UP3, which is important for us to figure out his day steps and sleeping, as he has limited verbal communication.
    There were some stability issues with the UP24 in the early stages of the product, but all has been stable for quite a while. I had tried the Fitbit and did not like they way I had to interact with it to log workouts, food, etc. The SmartCoach is a nice feature that UP has that helps to gain knowledge and insight about both health and sleep habits, as well as heart-rate. Several of our family members and friends are also utilizing the UP products. There is a group on Facebook called Jawbone UP-ers Unite with over 3,000 members they all seem to be enjoying the products as well. I highly recommend the Jawbone products and their exercise and sleep wearable products.

11. User Score

August 16th, 2015 Wilton, CT

I have had three UP bands, all of them died. All of my friends have had up bands, they died. This is a defective product. I cant understand why noone is taking action against the company. I just got another as a gift, it was broken out of the box, Jawbone is giving me the runaround. They refuse tho replace it. I am disgusted with this product. They all break, it is illegal to sell defective merchandise, this will catch up to them.

12. User Score

August 15th, 2015 Smyrna, TN

I like my jawbone and have recommended it to many others. I bought one for myself and my son this past Christmas. A few weeks ago the works came out of my wristband and it hasn’t worked well since. I also lost the cap for the connection pin for the device. I have searched the sites and have not been able to find out any way to contact you all for repairs or replacement, Please advise

13. User Score

August 15th, 2015 Malden, MA

I am so tired of having to resync my new #2. Sometimes three or four times a day. I am not the only none with this issue. What gives ?

14. User Score

August 14th, 2015 Tucson, AZ

Wish it were more user friendly, have to carry my iPad around to sych , I honestly wish I had a fitbit !

15. User Score

August 14th, 2015 Waterville, OH

This is a poorly designed fitness band…don’t waste your money. I switched to Fitbit

16. User Score

August 13th, 2015 Virginia Beach, VA

I received my first UP for Christmas in 2014. After 4 months it died. I was quickly sent a new replacement, but that one died also 2 months later. I was promptly sent a 3rd, but have now switched to a Fitbit. I miss the UP app, but the Fitbit is unfortunately more reliable.

17. User Score

August 13th, 2015 Vermilion, OH

I wasn’t all that thrilled with it. It didn’t log all my steps. It was not as intuitive a device as I was looking for. We ended up having to trade them in twice because they stopped charging after just a month. We ended up giving up and getting the Fitbit Charge HR

18. User Score

August 12th, 2015 Turtle Creek, PA

Mine came in the mail in good time–but it never worked. I tried and tried. My sister tried. My nephew in law tried. I finally called and let it be known that my particular Jawbone did not work and could I send it back and get a new one. I was told that there were no more, but that my money would be refunded. It was–but now I have a Jawbone just sitting here that does not work. I was told NOT to send it back. 🙁

19. User Score

August 11th, 2015 Wilmington, NC

I got it as a gift for Christmas 2014 and really liked it. Unfortunately it just quit working 4 months later. I never misused or mistreated…not sure what happened.

20. User Score

August 11th, 2015 San Jose, CA

I had 3 and they all died within 6 months of getting them. Amazon would not replace them saying it was something I was doing. I guess wearing them was not how to use them.