Jawbone Logo
Jawbone is a wearable device company that has been in business since 2000.  The company is truly focused on helping guide people to a healthier life. "Get UP and find the better version of you" is their motto and all of their devices have been designed with this in mind.  They provide personalized insight for users and are a world leader in consumer technology.  Jawbone's approach to fitness tracking is unique, with over 600 patents related to its technology and processes.

The Good

• Great features
  • Food tracking
  • Device options
First, Jawbone's UP system is truly impressive. It features an open API, which allows it to seamlessly integrate with other fitness and weight loss apps, including the popular RunKeeper, MyFitnessPal, Strava and Lose It! apps. Offering so many integration options means that you can easily get a full, detailed picture of your health, as well as have the option to tailor the tracking to your specific needs rather than work within the confines of only one app. This also saves time, as you'll only need to check one app to see your status instead of three or four. UP is also well-designed from an aesthetic standpoint: it's easy to read and navigate, and houses details in themed groups so you don't have to click through multiple screens. Second, if tracking food is a priority for you, the UP is a wise choice. You can log how much water you drink and what you eat, including selecting from lists of popular restaurant menus, to keep track of your calorie and nutrition intake. And UP's Healthy Food Score feature will make it easy to see if you're on track. Third, Jawbone offers 4 different devices, depending on what you as a user want.  The UP Move is a baseline tracker for people wanting to focus on health and weight loss.  The UP4 has detailed activity and sleep tracking with AMEX payment built in, for those wanting to be thoroughly involved in their fitness.  The UP Move is only $49.99 and the Up4 is $199.99, with the UP2 and 3 in between.

The Bad

• No lights or display screen
  • No alerts
The biggest drawback of the UP System is that there are no lights or display screen - you'll have to check the app if you want to monitor your progress throughout the day. You also won't receive any reminder alerts with the cheaper model, so you'll need to keep yourself motivated and moving by remembering to check the app or harnessing your competitive spirit.

The Bottom Line

Jawbone is truly an innovative leader with its software platform, but it could improve upon its device design by adding sync options to the cheaper model. A display screen would be a nice option as well, however, the software is so appealing that you'll probably be tempted to check it several times a day anyway - so you may not even notice that you don't have a display screen.

2.0

Jeff Poirior Stoughton, WI

I have been with Jawbone's UP since March 24th, 2013. I have enjoyed the UP 24 and now the UP3. My wife is also utilizing the UP products, currently on the UP Move. I have an adult autistic son that is also on the UP3, which is important for us to figure out his day steps and sleeping, as he has limited verbal communication. There were some stability issues with the UP24 in the early stages of the product, but all has been stable for quite a while. I had tried the Fitbit and did not like they way I had to interact with it to log workouts, food, etc. The SmartCoach is a nice feature that UP has that helps to gain knowledge and insight about both health and sleep habits, as well as heart-rate. Several of our family members and friends are also utilizing the UP products. There is a group on Facebook called Jawbone UP-ers Unite with over 3,000 members they all seem to be enjoying the products as well. I highly recommend the Jawbone products and their exercise and sleep wearable products.

Sopee Atlanta, GA

Amazing! I contacted support after my Up band no longer held a charge. They immediately emailed and walked me through a few steps to revive my device. Although none of the steps worked, I appreciated the help. Shortly after, a Jawbone rep called to follow up and SENT ME A BRAND NEW DEVICE! I can't stop praising the level of attention and professionalism shown my the Jawbone Team. I am a fan for life!

Kara Morrison Watson Nitro, WV

Two overall complaints: First removing the tiny cap to charge - I have 2 UP2 devices and lost the cap to one while I had it charging. Needs a small string or way to keep the cap connected to the device during charge. Second is the sleep function...there have been times I KNOW i only slept a few hours (as I was watching the clock due to not being able to sleep) but because I was laying still (in an attempt to sleep) it recorded it as sleep. Improvement suggestion is a heart rate monitor on device. Another thing I noticed when exercising and using an eliptical is that it doesn't accurately count my steps. :(

Susan Brooks Thomas Pittsburgh, PA

Have had my Jawbone sine Jan 2015. Love the app. I sync it 2-3 times a day. I use My Fitness Pal for logging my meals. The button is starting to give me problems, though. I did email customer service and they offered to replace it under warranty. Not sure if I want to stay with this model. Thinking I will try a different one when this one stops working.

Larry Smyrna, TN

I like my jawbone and have recommended it to many others. I bought one for myself and my son this past Christmas. A few weeks ago the works came out of my wristband and it hasn't worked well since. I also lost the cap for the connection pin for the device. I have searched the sites and have not been able to find out any way to contact you all for repairs or replacement, Please advise

Cece Ellison New York, NY

The first Jawbone that I had broke after about 6 months, the button wouldn't push in and out. It was under warranty and I had no issues with getting a new one. Recently, that one also did the same thing. I have had my fitbit the same amount of time and have no issues with it at all. I also don't like the fact the Jawbone is too big and uncomfortable on the wrist. Isn't very easy to wear daily. I prefer my fitbit and will stick with it. One last thing, I don't like the fact that you have to stick with the same color bracelet, at least with my fitbit I can purchase different bracelets, etc.

Beatriz Perez Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I've been using Jawbone UP 24 since November 2014. My activity level have incresed and I can keep track of my food intake and sleeping amount and quality. In my opinion Jawbone is wonderful and it can help people to loose weight.

Jacqueline B. Williams Fullerton, CA

Yes, I have one of the VERY first jawbone ear piece. It still works for me. Still have the original charger and all. A VERY reputable product. Maybe when this one stops working, I'll purchase another more modern one. Thanks for your time,

Becky Mattawa, WA

I love the Jawbone but I have had the UP and the UP24 and the bad thing is they do not last. The band stretches causing the caps to fall off and then you can't update your band because the prong cannot plug into the phone with the regular UP and on the 24 the button you push for the modes you cannot reach. Now yes they replaced them for free because of the warranty but get very frustrating when it quits working and you lose you record of the steps etc. so gave a 5 because the app is great but the band needs improvement..this happened about every 3 months with the UP and the 24 lasted a bit longer but not much. Have had it for 1 year now. Waiting for the to contact me back on my Up24 right now.

Jenny Morgan Baltimore, MD

I've had 4 in 2 years. The "Up" side is that their customer service is excellent (I don't get the bad reviews) and they've replaced my band quickly and without question. The bad side is I've had 4 in 2 years. The sleep function is great, though I wish they'd address the lack of being able to count swimming. It throws my step totals off goal since it's not waterproof. It's a mile and a half or so that I regularly "lose." I hope they address these things. I'm a fan, but...

Mike N. Rapid City, SD

Purchased at Best Buy over a year ago as it was a better at the time over the FitBit. Works great with my iPhone and I use the Lose It! app to keep track of food intake. Great interface as I am still using it to keep track of exercise etc. I will probably upgrade to a newer model in December.

Lud Mushluck Baraga, MI

Customer service is not bad; it's nonexistent. The stopwatch feature to track a workout is hokey. Its on the honor system to determine how hard you worked out. It works if your honest. I'd like to see more variety of activities to track. Also when tracking an activity give the option to not track steps. I put in an hour on the rowing machine and I have 3000 steps! The tap tap idea to switch modes doesn't work well.. Despite these obvious foibles, when you finally get it figured out and get it to sync with myfitnesspal, etc., its not bad.

Debra Treanor Winthrop, MA

Love my Jawbone Tracker! I've been wearing it faithfully since New Years Eve. The only problem I've found with it is, it tends to go off into left field once in a great while, but after it's fully charged, it goes back to normal! Really glad I purchased it!

S. Ware Swannanoa, NC

Run away from Jawbone! I am so disappointed in this company! I have been corresponding with them since October 2016 to get a refund & STILL do not have it. First I was told my defective band would be replaced, a few weeks later I received an email telling me due to limited availability, it would ship in 24-26 weeks! I contacted them in August, again in October 2107 because I still did not have my warranty replacement! I was told they have no record of my warranty claim and gave me an excuse of it being archived from the system. Thankfully I had all the correspondence and was able to get them to re-enter it. On October 3, 2017 (yes a year!) I was told I would receive a refund of my purchase price in 4-6 weeks. Contacted them again in January to inquire about my refund, was told "we recently found that there has been a delay in our refund check processing facility. Your refund is still processing and has not been dispatched in the mail yet. The refund check should be dispatched within the next 2-3 weeks." Contacted them 3 more times between February thru April. I know longer receive ANY kind of response! Oct. 2016 - May 2018 AND NO RESOLUTION! They no longer provide support on Jawbone.com. RUN AWAY FROM JAWBONE!!!!!!

Chelsea Bowers Gardner, KS

Tried reaching out to the company in december regarding my UP3 not pairing. Received no response to my initial email, or to the 2 follow up emails. I decided to follow a link from an older email i received from them asking for feedback of their company. After sending my "feedback" I got a failed delivery response from google saying this feedback email address was no longer valid. Their monthly/weekly emails stopped at the end of summer 2016, and i have pretty much heard nothing from them since. I just read this article, and its all beginning to make sense to me now. :( https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/jawbone-cuts-ties-with-customer-service-agency-2016-9

Randy Irvine, CA

What a piece of JUNK!!! I had 6 Jawbone Up's in 9 months! Each being replaced on warranty. Each died a quick death. I am not hard on devices. I'm the kind of person that keeps my phone in my pocket with nothing else because I don't want scratches on it. But this thing would die because of bad batteries, wouldn't sync, etc. One lasted only a week! The worst part about it is that the company absolutely refused to give me a refund. They would continue to replace but no refund. At the end they wanted to replace my $149 UP band with the $49 Move product. I was so upset and insulted, I just stopped. One of THE WORST products and company experiences EVER! DO NOT BUY!!!!!

Terry VerHaar San Rafael, CA

The first one crapped out on me within about 8 months. (Button stopped working.) It was readily replaced under warranty. The replacement crapped out in about 6 months; same problem. They initially refused to replace it because the warranty was only a year. Of course, the logic there is idiotic as the one I had was only about 6 months old. After some hassling and, to be frank, threats about social media commentary, they finally replaced the second one. Lo and behold, that one crapped out in another 6 months - same issue with button (obviously a design flaw) - and I didn't bother going back to them. Jawbone is dead to me. Happy so far with my FitBit.

Sandi Warner Newport, RI

I like the UP when it was working, but it stopped working after about three weeks. The customer service was good and sent a warranty replacement. However, that didn't work after the first day. I was not able to charge the UP and the application stopped syncing. Also, the band closure slides a lot. That meant that the sensors werent' next to my skin. My first monitor of this kind was a BodyMedia plus which I had for a year. it's unsightly (a really unattractive armband type thing) which Jawbone purchased. Love the idea of these monitors but I haven't seen the ONE that works as well as BodyMedia without the ugly band..

Debi Vermilion, OH

I wasn't all that thrilled with it. It didn't log all my steps. It was not as intuitive a device as I was looking for. We ended up having to trade them in twice because they stopped charging after just a month. We ended up giving up and getting the Fitbit Charge HR

Mary Ann Benton, KY

My Jawbone disconnects all the time. At this point, this is my second one. The first one would just die. This one works good, so far, other than the disconnecting often, almost every day. Sometimes when I put my sleep hours in, I end up doing it twice because it won't show I slept! When I do it a second time, it shows twice the time. There is no edit that I can find to take half of those hours off the app.

Sandi Warner Newport, RI

I've had mine for 2 weeks and it quit. It won't charge or sync. I'm waiting for a response from customer service now. I had a BodyMedia fit before which worked beautifully for years, but the band on the arm is so unsightly it doesn't make sense for summer. If they can fix my Up3 I'll stick with it, it seems to give pretty good data, but looking at the reviews below, I'm guessing it's not going to be a long term product. What are Jawbone's responses to these comments?

Dan Francis Scottsdale, AZ

To whom it may concern, I used the jaw bone for right around two years and I love it but I wore three of the brackets out and didn't see in buying a third one because they didn't last more then six months. So that is why I do not use one now. I also used a jaw bone ira blue tooth ear piece but also wore that out as well. I love the concepts but I must be hard on you products.

Ted J. Crews Phoenix, AZ

My Up24 up and stopped working. Completely bricked up. Customer service offered me a free replacement of a completely different model that retails for half the price and didn't do what the Up24 did AND and $50 coupon toward the purchase of any of their products. I asked for a replacement of my Up24 and they could not or would not do that. After some conversation with the rep I learned that her Up24 also crashed and did not recover. They know the thing dies but they don't stand behind the purchase. They lost me as a customer. When it worked it was awesome. Support for the product was not sufficient.

Patti Gallagher Belmar, NJ

When it works, I love it! The size is good because it is not large. It is not much larger than a bracelet. It is very accurate in tracking steps. I like the app and how it works also. However, the biggest problem is keeping it paired with the app. My first one stopped syncing completely. I called customer support and they offered to replace it. It took weekly calls for almost a month before they finally said it is no longer available. They sent me a different model. I was given a second one as a gift. It worked for 3 months before the technology began to fail again. The concept is great, if only it would work consistently.

Carol Burke Redwood City, CA

Wrote my review before I read the others. Nice to learn that I am not the only one that has had as many problems. I had 4 UP24s now have the UP2. My activity tracker is an important part of my life so now have a FiitBit Charge HR as a backup. Can not understand why they both don't read the same. a step is a step....one of them is incorrect. Wish my Jawbone was consistent. My new Jawbone is really nice looking.

sylvia mangan Coos Bay, OR

It has been both good and bad I've had to replace it 3 times; each time, the service was good, in that the company easily replaced it. I am questioning it's accuracy however, as the steps seem to not accumulate as quick as the fitbit. I love he idea, and I wear mine all the time. It certainly motivates me to keep going and reach my goal. I would like to know who of my friends however, also use it.

Jon Wensky Shrewsbury, MA

HORRIBLE...not once, not twice, but 3 times...I really liked the technology and used it religiously for 3 months...then it crapped out on me. Wouldn't carry a charge..I tried to do a hard re-set, soft re-set, call tech support, etc.. They sent me a replacement. The SAME THING HAPPENED...3 months and OUT...no charge...sent it back and got another one and - THE SAME THING HAPPENED. I gave up...a year later, they came out with the new version. So, I decided to give it another chance...and you can finish the story from there. Shame on me for investing in it, but I really liked it over all the others and wanted it to work. Live and learn...never again will I buy a Jawbone product.

Kerrin Eyer Rocky River, OH

They were great when they performed. I had three UPs over the course of 14 months. The company replaced two free of charge as a result of malfunctions. This was great customer service but I was still without a device for two weeks each time I had to return it. I really liked them but enough is enough. When the thirds one went on the fritz I decided to give them up for good. Too bad. The software was awesome.

Emma Cortes West Covina, CA

I had an excellent experience with costumer services, I love my tracker and so far it had been working perfect for me. I like that can keep track of your physical activities, your calories intake and how long do you sleep.

Marianne Muller Hillsboro, IN

I liked the UP app, although the sleep function often recorded that I was sleeping when I know I was awake and never showed that I woke as often as I had. However, I did not like the lack of a display or the fact that I was constantly losing the cap when I charged my UP. When it alerted, I never knew what it was trying to alert me to. It also would switch from sleep to wake during the night if there was too much static electricity during the winter when the air was dry, either in the blankets or from my cat's fur.

SE Johnson

I have UP, for 3 yrs, 1st replaced just over 1 yrs use with warped stretching band. Got a replacement and just a month over 1 yr replacement, same thing happening, so bad the cap and button are pushed into the band making it increasingly difficult to charge or put into sleep/activity mode. I consider this a band/rubber defect. Don't shower with it or bang my am against things, just normal activity. Jawbone support refused to replace it, said replacement is only 3 months warranty, but yet replaced the first and a friends well out of warranty. Cust Service didn't' know why this was happening. Said "nothing more we can do for you" and offered me 25% off new product, I declined because I can get any fitness accessory @25% off through my work. I'll be looking at your reviews on Fitbit or Vivofit for new fitness accessory. UP is good with tracking fitness, working like it should, but with band stretching or warping, after 1 year x 2, is pitiful production. Jawbone DOES NOT STAND BY IT'S UP PRODUCT and Jawbone Support needs more Customer Service training. Will no longer recommend it to anyone because of this.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

Decent wrist device to track your fitness. Even though it's considered one of the most accurate steps tracker, I wasn't a fan of the look of it on my wrist. Too expensive for my liking as well.

Susan Manhattan, KS

My son has the Jawbone UP he only had it for 5 months before it stop working! He loved it when it worked! He is one that takes very good care of his things, so I'm very disappointed in this product! Would not recommend this to a friend...and for the price he didn't even get $10 a month wear from it! Call the company about it and got no nothing! So sad!

Neal Jack Mountain View, CA

The Jawbone UP is the worst device I've ever owned. I loved it when it worked, but over the course of 18 months of normal usage, I went through a total of 9, meaning they lasted an average of 2 months. Considering all my troubles I inquired about upgrading to the UP24 and even paying the difference. Support 'couldn't' do that and emails to executives at the company went unanswered. I'm extremely disappointed and because of this experience will never purchase another Jawbone product.

M Victor Wilton, CT

I have had three UP bands, all of them died. All of my friends have had up bands, they died. This is a defective product. I cant understand why noone is taking action against the company. I just got another as a gift, it was broken out of the box, Jawbone is giving me the runaround. They refuse tho replace it. I am disgusted with this product. They all break, it is illegal to sell defective merchandise, this will catch up to them.

Tammy Virginia Beach, VA

I received my first UP for Christmas in 2014. After 4 months it died. I was quickly sent a new replacement, but that one died also 2 months later. I was promptly sent a 3rd, but have now switched to a Fitbit. I miss the UP app, but the Fitbit is unfortunately more reliable.

Linda MB Turtle Creek, PA

Mine came in the mail in good time--but it never worked. I tried and tried. My sister tried. My nephew in law tried. I finally called and let it be known that my particular Jawbone did not work and could I send it back and get a new one. I was told that there were no more, but that my money would be refunded. It was--but now I have a Jawbone just sitting here that does not work. I was told NOT to send it back. :-(

Annieliz76 Libertyville, IL

No updates or screen to see any info on the band unless you sync with the app. Like the size and comfort but after 3 months it stopped syncing. Customer service replaced it for free but less than a year later it is falling apart, frail and on it's last leg. I have had numerous friends have more than 3 in one year due to syncing issues, not charging or plain old stopped working. Holding on to this one as it has been on it's last leg. Waiting for it to fall apart so I can get a fit bit. Much more durable!

M Anthony Morris GA

I really enjoyed mine until the button came off. I used it everyday and I like the fact that it worked well with my fitness apps. Sure going to miss my Up24, since they are getting rid of the best one.

Donna Delaney Ocean City, MD

Stay away from Jawbone! I had at least 6 replacement bands( I actually lost track of how many!) each band lasted a month or 2. The company did replace them...but with the same faulty band.....there was obviously a flaw in the design.....customer service was very slow to respond.....the last time it took 4 weeks of emails, voicemails before they'd actually got back to me! I gave up and bought a Fitbit Charge...so far, so good!

Clifton Atlanta, GA

After the third bracelet in less than two years stopped working I gave up on Jawbone. They're just not sturdy enough. The button used to change modes couldn't stand up to regular, frequent use. Too bad, too, as I liked a lot of the features. If they ever find a way to make it more durable I'd consider trying it again--but only once more. Enough is enough.

rickruback Cleburne, TX

I have just given up on my jawbone. I am on my 3rd one. The device fails after about 6 months. The plastic stretches out over the end of the device and the button on the end that you have to push to change from awake to sleep mode falls out. With the plastic stretching it makes it hard to charge the device. Another disappointment is the device doesn't record your heart rate. Tech support is good but they only give you a small discount to send you a replacement. I am going to get the new I phone in Sept and a I watch with the health app.

Brenda Foreman New York, NY

I hate this thing. It doesn't keep accurate count of your steps. It doesn't sync properly and I am very sure I will loose it. The clasp doesn't stay and it keeps slipping off my wrist. I wish that jawbone had not taken over Bodymedia and allowed that product to remain on the market. It was much better than the Up3. The only thing good about it is it is the look. I hate this thing. I wish I could get my $180 back.

Richard Roodbeen Detroit, MI

I loved the Jawbone UP, but I have went through 6 bands in less than a year each. I have been very unhappy with the quality the bands and I hope Jawbone fixes the issues with the bands because their product is revolutionary

Janet Brander Plainfield, IL

I had mine for about 7 months before it died. customer service was helpful and willing to replace it. Unfortunately, the would only replace it with the clip, which was a lesser version. Well, I lost it when it was clipped to my pants. Done with the Up24 system.

Anna Claire Jeddo, MI

My UP24 died twice in one year. They replaced it once. I was constantly having to soft or hard reset it. As someone who works a lot of long days, this was terribly inconvenient. The battery life wasn't consistent either. I finally gave up threw mine away.

John Kennedy Taylor, MI

Great for about a year then the button stopped working. Waiting on the new 4 but it is not waterproof as first reported. Hoping they come out with one soon.

Frank Prepsel New York, NY

Good experience. I want to get the UP4 when it comes out. The syncing over Bluetooth on the iPhone needs some work though.

Paul Viggiano Cherry Hill, NJ

Horrible experiences. Went through 6 in about two years. Doesn't show steps, or time, or anything, without a synch. Finally switched to a Garmin Vivosmart and couldn't be happier. Only the strong will survive in this industry and, unfortunately, Jawbone will be the loser.

Gina LaBarbera McCarthy

The biggest drawback is that their devices do not work. I have the UP24, UP2 and the UP3. All have had different issues which caused the device to be unusable. And, their customer service is, well, the worst. Totally scripted and not at all helpful even if you can actually contact someone!