Jawbone

7.4

Jawbone is a wearable device company that has been in business since 2000.  The company is truly focused on helping guide people to a healthier life. "Get UP and find the better version of you" is their motto and all of their devices have been designed with this in mind.  They provide personalized insight for users and are a world leader in consumer technology.  Jawbone's approach to fitness tracking is unique, with over 600 patents related to its technology and processes.

The Good

• Great features
  • Food tracking
  • Device options

First, Jawbone's UP system is truly impressive. It features an open API, which allows it to seamlessly integrate with other fitness and weight loss apps, including the popular RunKeeper, MyFitnessPal, Strava and Lose It! apps. Offering so many integration options means that you can easily get a full, detailed picture of your health, as well as have the option to tailor the tracking to your specific needs rather than work within the confines of only one app. This also saves time, as you'll only need to check one app to see your status instead of three or four. UP is also well-designed from an aesthetic standpoint: it's easy to read and navigate, and houses details in themed groups so you don't have to click through multiple screens.

Second, if tracking food is a priority for you, the UP is a wise choice. You can log how much water you drink and what you eat, including selecting from lists of popular restaurant menus, to keep track of your calorie and nutrition intake. And UP's Healthy Food Score feature will make it easy to see if you're on track.

Third, Jawbone offers 4 different devices, depending on what you as a user want.  The UP Move is a baseline tracker for people wanting to focus on health and weight loss.  The UP4 has detailed activity and sleep tracking with AMEX payment built in, for those wanting to be thoroughly involved in their fitness.  The UP Move is only $49.99 and the Up4 is $199.99, with the UP2 and 3 in between.

The Bad

• No lights or display screen
  • No alerts

The biggest drawback of the UP System is that there are no lights or display screen - you'll have to check the app if you want to monitor your progress throughout the day. You also won't receive any reminder alerts with the cheaper model, so you'll need to keep yourself motivated and moving by remembering to check the app or harnessing your competitive spirit.

The Bottom Line

Jawbone is truly an innovative leader with its software platform, but it could improve upon its device design by adding sync options to the cheaper model. A display screen would be a nice option as well, however, the software is so appealing that you'll probably be tempted to check it several times a day anyway - so you may not even notice that you don't have a display screen.

Chelsea Bowers

February 12th, 2017 Gardner, KS

Tried reaching out to the company in december regarding my UP3 not pairing. Received no response to my initial email, or to the 2 follow up emails. I decided to follow a link from an older email i received from them asking for feedback of their company. After sending my "feedback" I got a failed delivery response from google saying this feedback email address was no longer valid. Their monthly/weekly emails stopped at the end of summer 2016, and i have pretty much heard nothing from them since. I just read this article, and its all beginning to make sense to me now. :( https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/jawbone-cuts-ties-with-customer-service-agency-2016-9

Susan Brooks Thomas

August 26th, 2015 Pittsburgh, PA

Have had my Jawbone sine Jan 2015. Love the app. I sync it 2-3 times a day. I use My Fitness Pal for logging my meals. The button is starting to give me problems, though. I did email customer service and they offered to replace it under warranty. Not sure if I want to stay with this model. Thinking I will try a different one when this one stops working.

Randy

August 25th, 2015 Irvine, CA

What a piece of JUNK!!! I had 6 Jawbone Up's in 9 months! Each being replaced on warranty. Each died a quick death. I am not hard on devices. I'm the kind of person that keeps my phone in my pocket with nothing else because I don't want scratches on it. But this thing would die because of bad batteries, wouldn't sync, etc. One lasted only a week! The worst part about it is that the company absolutely refused to give me a refund. They would continue to replace but no refund. At the end they wanted to replace my $149 UP band with the $49 Move product. I was so upset and insulted, I just stopped. One of THE WORST products and company experiences EVER! DO NOT BUY!!!!!

Wendy

August 25th, 2015 Franklin Lakes, NJ

I love my Jawbone..Easy to use and gives me helpful tips and reminds me to keep on track!

Linda

August 24th, 2015 Mobile, AL

I have been on my UP 24 for 2 years. It finally died so I bought another one. I LOVE this company.

Terry VerHaar

August 21st, 2015 San Rafael, CA

The first one crapped out on me within about 8 months. (Button stopped working.) It was readily replaced under warranty. The replacement crapped out in about 6 months; same problem. They initially refused to replace it because the warranty was only a year. Of course, the logic there is idiotic as the one I had was only about 6 months old. After some hassling and, to be frank, threats about social media commentary, they finally replaced the second one. Lo and behold, that one crapped out in another 6 months - same issue with button (obviously a design flaw) - and I didn't bother going back to them. Jawbone is dead to me. Happy so far with my FitBit.

Sandi Warner

August 20th, 2015 Newport, RI

I like the UP when it was working, but it stopped working after about three weeks. The customer service was good and sent a warranty replacement. However, that didn't work after the first day. I was not able to charge the UP and the application stopped syncing. Also, the band closure slides a lot. That meant that the sensors werent' next to my skin. My first monitor of this kind was a BodyMedia plus which I had for a year. it's unsightly (a really unattractive armband type thing) which Jawbone purchased. Love the idea of these monitors but I haven't seen the ONE that works as well as BodyMedia without the ugly band..

Susan

August 19th, 2015 Manhattan, KS

My son has the Jawbone UP he only had it for 5 months before it stop working! He loved it when it worked! He is one that takes very good care of his things, so I'm very disappointed in this product! Would not recommend this to a friend...and for the price he didn't even get $10 a month wear from it! Call the company about it and got no nothing! So sad!

Neal Jack

August 18th, 2015 Mountain View, CA

The Jawbone UP is the worst device I've ever owned. I loved it when it worked, but over the course of 18 months of normal usage, I went through a total of 9, meaning they lasted an average of 2 months. Considering all my troubles I inquired about upgrading to the UP24 and even paying the difference. Support 'couldn't' do that and emails to executives at the company went unanswered. I'm extremely disappointed and because of this experience will never purchase another Jawbone product.

Richard Roodbeen

August 18th, 2015 Detroit, MI

I loved the Jawbone UP, but I have went through 6 bands in less than a year each. I have been very unhappy with the quality the bands and I hope Jawbone fixes the issues with the bands because their product is revolutionary

Jeff Poirior

August 18th, 2015 Stoughton, WI

I have been with Jawbone's UP since March 24th, 2013. I have enjoyed the UP 24 and now the UP3. My wife is also utilizing the UP products, currently on the UP Move. I have an adult autistic son that is also on the UP3, which is important for us to figure out his day steps and sleeping, as he has limited verbal communication. There were some stability issues with the UP24 in the early stages of the product, but all has been stable for quite a while. I had tried the Fitbit and did not like they way I had to interact with it to log workouts, food, etc. The SmartCoach is a nice feature that UP has that helps to gain knowledge and insight about both health and sleep habits, as well as heart-rate. Several of our family members and friends are also utilizing the UP products. There is a group on Facebook called Jawbone UP-ers Unite with over 3,000 members they all seem to be enjoying the products as well. I highly recommend the Jawbone products and their exercise and sleep wearable products.

M Victor

August 16th, 2015 Wilton, CT

I have had three UP bands, all of them died. All of my friends have had up bands, they died. This is a defective product. I cant understand why noone is taking action against the company. I just got another as a gift, it was broken out of the box, Jawbone is giving me the runaround. They refuse tho replace it. I am disgusted with this product. They all break, it is illegal to sell defective merchandise, this will catch up to them.

Larry

August 15th, 2015 Smyrna, TN

I like my jawbone and have recommended it to many others. I bought one for myself and my son this past Christmas. A few weeks ago the works came out of my wristband and it hasn't worked well since. I also lost the cap for the connection pin for the device. I have searched the sites and have not been able to find out any way to contact you all for repairs or replacement, Please advise

Leo Reardon

August 15th, 2015 Malden, MA

I am so tired of having to resync my new #2. Sometimes three or four times a day. I am not the only none with this issue. What gives ?

Cindy Barrett

August 14th, 2015 Tucson, AZ

Wish it were more user friendly, have to carry my iPad around to sych , I honestly wish I had a fitbit !

Greg

August 14th, 2015 Waterville, OH

This is a poorly designed fitness band...don't waste your money. I switched to Fitbit

Tammy

August 13th, 2015 Virginia Beach, VA

I received my first UP for Christmas in 2014. After 4 months it died. I was quickly sent a new replacement, but that one died also 2 months later. I was promptly sent a 3rd, but have now switched to a Fitbit. I miss the UP app, but the Fitbit is unfortunately more reliable.

Debi

August 13th, 2015 Vermilion, OH

I wasn't all that thrilled with it. It didn't log all my steps. It was not as intuitive a device as I was looking for. We ended up having to trade them in twice because they stopped charging after just a month. We ended up giving up and getting the Fitbit Charge HR

Linda MB

August 12th, 2015 Turtle Creek, PA

Mine came in the mail in good time--but it never worked. I tried and tried. My sister tried. My nephew in law tried. I finally called and let it be known that my particular Jawbone did not work and could I send it back and get a new one. I was told that there were no more, but that my money would be refunded. It was--but now I have a Jawbone just sitting here that does not work. I was told NOT to send it back. :-(

Ayesha Waggaman

August 11th, 2015 Wilmington, NC

I got it as a gift for Christmas 2014 and really liked it. Unfortunately it just quit working 4 months later. I never misused or mistreated...not sure what happened.

Melissa

August 11th, 2015 San Jose, CA

I had 3 and they all died within 6 months of getting them. Amazon would not replace them saying it was something I was doing. I guess wearing them was not how to use them.

Brian Thrasher

August 11th, 2015 Kenosha, WI

I went through 3 of them all under warranty and after the warranty was up it failed again - so now I am using it for a paper weight on my desk

Sopee

August 10th, 2015 Atlanta, GA

Amazing! I contacted support after my Up band no longer held a charge. They immediately emailed and walked me through a few steps to revive my device. Although none of the steps worked, I appreciated the help. Shortly after, a Jawbone rep called to follow up and SENT ME A BRAND NEW DEVICE! I can't stop praising the level of attention and professionalism shown my the Jawbone Team. I am a fan for life!

Mary Ann

August 10th, 2015 Benton, KY

My Jawbone disconnects all the time. At this point, this is my second one. The first one would just die. This one works good, so far, other than the disconnecting often, almost every day. Sometimes when I put my sleep hours in, I end up doing it twice because it won't show I slept! When I do it a second time, it shows twice the time. There is no edit that I can find to take half of those hours off the app.

Sandi Warner

August 9th, 2015 Newport, RI

I've had mine for 2 weeks and it quit. It won't charge or sync. I'm waiting for a response from customer service now. I had a BodyMedia fit before which worked beautifully for years, but the band on the arm is so unsightly it doesn't make sense for summer. If they can fix my Up3 I'll stick with it, it seems to give pretty good data, but looking at the reviews below, I'm guessing it's not going to be a long term product. What are Jawbone's responses to these comments?

Cece Ellison

August 7th, 2015 New York, NY

The first Jawbone that I had broke after about 6 months, the button wouldn't push in and out. It was under warranty and I had no issues with getting a new one. Recently, that one also did the same thing. I have had my fitbit the same amount of time and have no issues with it at all. I also don't like the fact the Jawbone is too big and uncomfortable on the wrist. Isn't very easy to wear daily. I prefer my fitbit and will stick with it. One last thing, I don't like the fact that you have to stick with the same color bracelet, at least with my fitbit I can purchase different bracelets, etc.

Dan Francis

August 5th, 2015 Scottsdale, AZ

To whom it may concern, I used the jaw bone for right around two years and I love it but I wore three of the brackets out and didn't see in buying a third one because they didn't last more then six months. So that is why I do not use one now. I also used a jaw bone ira blue tooth ear piece but also wore that out as well. I love the concepts but I must be hard on you products.

Annieliz76

August 5th, 2015 Libertyville, IL

No updates or screen to see any info on the band unless you sync with the app. Like the size and comfort but after 3 months it stopped syncing. Customer service replaced it for free but less than a year later it is falling apart, frail and on it's last leg. I have had numerous friends have more than 3 in one year due to syncing issues, not charging or plain old stopped working. Holding on to this one as it has been on it's last leg. Waiting for it to fall apart so I can get a fit bit. Much more durable!

Ted J. Crews

August 4th, 2015 Phoenix, AZ

My Up24 up and stopped working. Completely bricked up. Customer service offered me a free replacement of a completely different model that retails for half the price and didn't do what the Up24 did AND and $50 coupon toward the purchase of any of their products. I asked for a replacement of my Up24 and they could not or would not do that. After some conversation with the rep I learned that her Up24 also crashed and did not recover. They know the thing dies but they don't stand behind the purchase. They lost me as a customer. When it worked it was awesome. Support for the product was not sufficient.

Anthony Morris

August 2nd, 2015 GA

I really enjoyed mine until the button came off. I used it everyday and I like the fact that it worked well with my fitness apps. Sure going to miss my Up24, since they are getting rid of the best one.

Patti Gallagher

August 2nd, 2015 Belmar, NJ

When it works, I love it! The size is good because it is not large. It is not much larger than a bracelet. It is very accurate in tracking steps. I like the app and how it works also. However, the biggest problem is keeping it paired with the app. My first one stopped syncing completely. I called customer support and they offered to replace it. It took weekly calls for almost a month before they finally said it is no longer available. They sent me a different model. I was given a second one as a gift. It worked for 3 months before the technology began to fail again. The concept is great, if only it would work consistently.

Karilyn Lesassier-Van Oosten

July 31st, 2015 Phoenix, AZ

I did not have a good experience with it. The concept is great but the technology is not there.

Marisa Sauter

July 31st, 2015 Punta Gorda, FL

I had 4 bands, all working for a few weeks ... now the last band is completely dead ... My experience with Jawbone is over!!

Donna Delaney

July 29th, 2015 Ocean City, MD

Stay away from Jawbone! I had at least 6 replacement bands( I actually lost track of how many!) each band lasted a month or 2. The company did replace them...but with the same faulty band.....there was obviously a flaw in the design.....customer service was very slow to respond.....the last time it took 4 weeks of emails, voicemails before they'd actually got back to me! I gave up and bought a Fitbit Charge...so far, so good!

steve bannerman

July 28th, 2015 Boise, ID

Fantastic product...but absolute crap reliability. I went through 6 of them in a little over a year and half. They were happy to replace the units, but it's insane that they break SO often. How do they stay in business???

Laura Rios

July 28th, 2015 Macomb, MI

Mine quit working around the 10th month after purchase. My husbands quit working (updating) after 3 months and the company sent him a new one. Definitely wasn't consistent when we both exercised together.

Julie

July 28th, 2015 Springfield, MO

Not much good to say about it, tip that plugs into the computer kept coming off and eventually lost it completely. It was my first tracker, bought the fitbit and won't go back.

Carol Burke

July 27th, 2015 Redwood City, CA

Wrote my review before I read the others. Nice to learn that I am not the only one that has had as many problems. I had 4 UP24s now have the UP2. My activity tracker is an important part of my life so now have a FiitBit Charge HR as a backup. Can not understand why they both don't read the same. a step is a step....one of them is incorrect. Wish my Jawbone was consistent. My new Jawbone is really nice looking.

Carol Burke

July 27th, 2015 Redwood City, CA

Love my Jawbone but on my 4th or 5rh in 17 months. The new one is not sync'd properly. Have a FitBit as a back up

Becky

July 22nd, 2015 Mattawa, WA

I love the Jawbone but I have had the UP and the UP24 and the bad thing is they do not last. The band stretches causing the caps to fall off and then you can't update your band because the prong cannot plug into the phone with the regular UP and on the 24 the button you push for the modes you cannot reach. Now yes they replaced them for free because of the warranty but get very frustrating when it quits working and you lose you record of the steps etc. so gave a 5 because the app is great but the band needs improvement..this happened about every 3 months with the UP and the 24 lasted a bit longer but not much. Have had it for 1 year now. Waiting for the to contact me back on my Up24 right now.