Garmin Connect Logo
Garmin is a leading provider of navigation software and devices for automotive, aviation and marine use, and now utilizes the same technology for Garmin Connect, its signature fitness tracking program. Garmin has been in business since 1990.

The Good

• Great features
  • All-purpose tracking device
  • Innovative technology on devices
Garmin Connect isn't the prettiest software we reviewed, but it's easy to read and includes plenty of useful features: a customizable dashboard, a training calendar, sleep tracking, new route suggestions and performance comparisons to other users who have run the same route. The software takes advantage of Garmin's background in navigation by highlighting its mapping and routing capabilities throughout each various features, which makes this software ideal for runners or cyclists. It also integrates with social media such as Facebook and Twitter, and lets you compete with and encourage friends who use Garmin Connect. The vívofit is Garmin's all-purpose fitness tracking device. It records steps, distance, elevation, duration and calories burned, and will save 2-3 weeks of history if you forget to sync. In addition, it will remind you to get moving if you've been sitting still for too long. The vívofit is water resistant up to 50 meters, features a sleek design and can be upgraded to include a corresponding heart rate monitor. The base version of the vívofit is $129.99; the bundle that includes the heart rate monitor is $169.99. Garmin's other devices (the ForeRunner 620 for avid runners, the Approach S6 for golfers and the Edge 510 or Edge Touring Plus for cyclists) will cost you a whopping $299.99-399.99. They offer all the bells and whistles you could want, yes - but unless you're training for the next Olympics, this level of technology is unnecessary; you can still meet and exceed your fitness goals with any of the other less-expensive devices out there.

The Bad

• Very expensive
  • Separate heart rate monitor
  • No sleep tracking
Given the inflated prices and sport-specific features of most of Garmin's devices, the vívofit is the only Garmin fitness tracker that's useful for the average Joe. While the vívofit rates high in terms of tracking features and wearability, the separate heart rate monitor is a downside - it could easily be left at home or misplaced. Garmin Connect doesn't offer the option to track your sleep, so you may want to opt for another company if this is important to you.

The Bottom Line

Though we'd like to see more device options for Garmin Connect, the software is user-friendly and has plenty to offer. In addition, users are bound to see the benefit of using a fitness tracker company that also has a major stake in the navigation industry - Garmin's GPS mapping and tracking features are top-notch.

3.6

J. Whelan Long Beach, MS

I recently switched from Garmin to Fitbit Versa 2. Although I like my Fitbit versa to watch, I'm sad to admit that I really miss my Garmin. The Connect app is very user-friendly and I miss all my charts and graphs and how easy it was to join a group we're all you did was see their activity. With Fitbit you can only have 5 people in a group to see their activity charts, otherwise you're in a large group and the formatting is pretty much like Facebook. I don't want to be social to see your steps. Garmin and Connect I miss you and I will be coming back. Please run a really good sale next Christmas!

Miguel Figueroa Provo, UT

Not the most advance in personal trackers, but if internal GPS is a must for you, i think there’s nothing better for the price point. Quite a few different models available which is nice; you can always find something that fits you life style with Garmin

McKinzie Figueroa Provo, UT

My Garmin has been great for what I need it for. I love that it counts how many steps I take in a day and allows me to track when I do a different workout. I love to hike and it has been great to track how long and far my hikes are. I also love the GPS portion of it. It is great for when I am not on a trail. I know that I can use it to get back to where I started.

Caroline McLeskey Gilbert, AZ

As an experienced runner, I find this very helpful in charting mileage and keeping myself on track to achieve my goals. The easy to use and visually pleasing format is also very satisfying and does not hinder use. It's easy connection with my Forerunner 220 has really helped me.

Mike Pelletier Sabattus, ME

Garmin Connect only works when it feels like it.Spoke several times on a chat at Garmin because of this issue each time I was asked to do something I did what they wanted it never corrected the issue and the chat got dropped.Feeling helpless once in a while the watch for some reason resets itself and I lose all my activity for that day and I have to go outside and run until the GPS resets my watch to the right day.Every time I charge the watch on my computer or my laptop the activity again gets wiped out.Too bad because it is a good tracker.Every day I have to take Garmin Connect off of my phone and reload it so it will work.It does not matter if I have it on an apple I pad a computer a smart phone it will not work.Never had that issue with my Fitbit the reason I got rid of the Fitbit is the watch band kept on breaking I went through 2 of them in 2 years.

Christopher Haueter Salt Lake City, UT

I have had a garmin vivoactive hr watch for a little over a month now and I love it. The best part (and the reason I bought it) is because it can sinc with my strava account so it tracks all of my mountain bike rides and then sends them to my strava app. I love it. I'ts also really comfortable and waterproof. I love it.

Amy Christian Las Vegas, NV

I track everything through connect! It is my go to for food, fitness, health, sleep. And I love all the challenges I can do and badges I get. It keeps me motivated. It’s easy to use but my only complaint is that I have to re-sync my garmin watch more than I think I should have to.

Terry Scarafiotti Nogal, NM

Customer service were rude and unhelpful. My glass had broke on my vivofit HR. After waiting to speak with some one to see if it could be replaced, I finally spoke to some one who was in a hurry to be done with me and did not offer and help except that I could buy a new one at full price. No help at all did not leave his name nor cared about helping.

vicki smith

Bought Vivofit mainly as a step counter and alarm, also to notify me at work when I received a message from either daughter - one with young kids, the other works abroad. Bracelet works fine, but syncing can be a problem, and reporting any problem is longwinded. Numerous 'upgrades'/downloads do not install confidence. Would I purchase again?....probably not, unless a LOT cheaper. But to be honest that would probably apply to any similar fitness device.

Mark Raby

Buyer beware! Garmin has been astonishingly unresponsive to consumer feedback. After having submitted the same constructive feedback for months to the innovation team (does this department really exist?) let's try this forum! so here it goes... Two very quick and easy ways to improve this app are: 1. Allow daily competitions in the leaderboard between friends. 2. Allow users to preview which badges they can earn ahead of time. Even if the graphics are dark then we can still see what we are working towards. It's hard to get motivated for something that has already happened in the past. It would be great if you could see how many badges you've earned and how many badges you can earn total. Fitness trackers are in the business of extrinsive motivation. Please either get in the game, or get out. It's very frusterating to have purchased a half way there product, especially since this company refuses to help itself by responding to constructive, common sense feedback. This started out as a small issue, but the lack of response and the reluctance to address these shortcomings make me really regret buying a garmin product for me and my girlfriend. That being said, there is a lot that Garmin is doing right. I recognize that Garmin Connect has potential. Raw information can be dry and boring though, so I'm giving you some constructive tips on how you can make your platform more fun and engaging on a silver platter. If you're frusterated by these sorts of comments, imagine how the people who spend money on your products and are continually unsatisfied with their purchases feel. Thanks, Mark Raby

Denise Chicago, IL

I purchased my VIVOfit in May, and it has not worked right ever since. I have called the support line for assistance 3 times with the same problem since June. The device doesn't sync, the time is always incorrect and I have been unable to use it for the purpose I purchased it for. This last call made on 9/23/15 was my last! they said they would send me out a refurbished on since it is passed the 60 day purchase warranty. Really?? I have been calling with the same problem since June. I would not recommend purchasing a Vivo product, I am going to bear the loss of the cost and purchase a Fitbit. It is really a shame that this company does not stand behind their product, and is sending out a refurbished one that will likely break within another short time.

jkenny90 , TX

This app seamlessly connects with my Garmin watch and makes it so easy to track my marathon training. The amount of data captured and provided to me during my runs is crucial to helping me get prepared.

SamO Brigham City, UT

Garmin is easy to use and has nice features in thier tech! I got just a small watch thing and I've liked it pretty good. Mine was kind of old so I just hope that the newer models have the heart pulse reader already in the watch.

User Friendly

I can only give it one star today because it has not awarded me the marathon badge (though I syncd) and the 60 day goal getter badge when it clearly states I have met my goal 180 days in a row. I am hoping this is another one of the MANY glitches and will be fixed. The really annoying thing is that it sometimes can't load data. It is really slow and constantly has error messages. None of the updates seem to fix these annoying things. Product Support are useless so I am thinking of getting another device.

paulgrabel Marion, IN

Lost on golf course. I found it the next day and it was run over by a lawn mower. Bracelet was torn up but I got a new one and it works just fine.

Ellie Cheyenne, WY

My Garmin watch has been my favorite so far. It’s waterproof and tracks all kinds of activity like my mountain biking. The app is easy to understand and helps me.

Piper Whitsitt Long Beach, MS

Have the vivo sport. Had to send my 1st one back after 10 months since the band broke. They were easy to honor the warranty. Wish it was easier to save common workouts instead of reentering day after day. App could be much better. As a simple tracker it is fine.

David Orem, UT

Their hardware is okay. Their software is pretty bad. The website is okay, but really I'd rather use almost anything else.

Kathy

Horrible interface not user friendly! Stick to using your phone that way you won’t get raped while your trying to find your way home using the garmin! Bought it 6 months ago and want my money back!

Bryan Jensen South Jordan, UT

Love this tracker. It tracks everything I need to Make sure I’m exercising enough. Tracks my workouts great.

Jessica Eagle Mountain, UT

I use my Garmin connect for running. It’s nice to have an easy way to track my miles.

Katie Riederer Kiel, WI