Fitbit

6.6

Fitbit has been producing fitness trackers since 2007.  Fitbit has won several awards for its devices and was voted one of the Best Places to Work in the Bay Area by the San Francisco Business Journal in 2013.  Fitbit's mission is "to empower and inspire you to live a healthier, more active life.  They design products and experiences that fit seamlessly into your life so you can achieve your health and fitness goals, whatever they may be".

#1 Fitbug Logo Fitbug ›

7.5

Overall
Score

#2 Jawbone Logo Jawbone ›

7.2

Overall
Score

#3 Garmin Connect Logo Garmin Connect ›

6.7

Overall
Score

#5 Fitbit Logo Fitbit

6.6

Overall
Score

The Good

• Customizable dashboard
  • Integrates with other apps
  • Many tracking options

A major advantage of Fitbit is its tracking software. The dashboard can be customized to quickly check the details you're most interested in, and the app integrates seamlessly with several other apps, including Lose It!, MyFitnessPal and MapMyRun. The app not only offers daily tracking and totals, but also calculates your individual average and how you progress over time. There is also a Premium version of the app for the serious athlete, which features in-depth analyses of food, sleep and activity that can be exported to be shared with coaches, trainers or doctors. The Premium version will also recommend personalized fitness plans based on your results.  And, of course, the app can be accessed from Apple, Android and Windows mobile devices, as well as Macs and PCs.

Fitbit offers a wide variety of fitness tracking options, providing trackers for a variety of lifestyles.  Whether you want to just track basic steps and sleep or more detailed workouts, Fitbit has a tracker for you.  Ranging from $59.95 to $249.95, Fitbit provides quality products for a pretty reasonable price.

The Bad

• Proprietary charging cords
  • Need the wireless dongle
  • Large recall

The downside of Fitbit products is the requirement to use proprietary charging cords; if you misplace yours, you won't be able to charge your Flex or One until you've bought a new cord (the Zip's 3V coin battery lasts 6 months). Additionally, if you're syncing with your computer, you'll need to use Fitbit's wireless dongle. The dongle will plug into any USB port, but it's tiny and very easy to misplace. Replacement charging cords or wireless dongles are only $19.95 each, however, the costs could add up if you tend to lose things.

We would be remiss to not mention the massive recall of the Force tracker that Fitbit issued in February 2014. After some Force users complained of skin irritation - specifically, allergic contact dermatitis to the nickel content in the core piece - Fitbit issued a voluntary recall on all Forces and offered consumers full refunds.  Although the skin allergy affected only about 1.7% of Force owners, those that developed it experienced redness, rashes and blistering where their skin had been exposed to the tracker.  No skin complications have been reported with Fitbit's other devices and the Fitbit Force is no longer sold by Fitbit.

The Bottom Line

Fitbit's trackers are popular for a reason: they're comfortable, efficient, easy to use and come with the support of an outstanding app. Fitbit trackers are also compatible with almost any phone, tablet or computer. This is a huge benefit in comparison to many of the tracker companies on the market, whose devices are limited in terms of compatibility - if you opt for the Sony SWR10 or the Samsung Gear Fit, for example, you may find yourself needing a new brand of tracker each time you upgrade to another cell phone.

3.9

November 13th, 2017 DETAILS

I love fitbit! I love the options it gives you, tells me when I need to get up and move to meet my goal. Measures my heart rate and activity. I love that I feel accomplished when I get the icons to turn green because of the goal I made! It's easy to set up and easy to use!

November 8th, 2017 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

Love the product but after about a year, my fit bit wouldn’t sync with my Bluetooth on my phone so I couldn’t track anything or receive messages or notifications.

October 26th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

I loved my HR+ Fitbit. Used it for quite a while and it helped me to track my workouts and engage my overall health. One day it just stopped charging and I couldn't get it to turn again. Had it for probably less than a year. It may have still been under warranty, but it was too much of a hassle to figure out. Haven't bought any similar devices since. Love the product overall. Not sure if mine just had a defect or if it was a problem overall.

October 19th, 2017

Fitbits stop working for no reason or they crack and break and trying to get them fixed through customer service is a joke. They tell us to try something to get a fitbit that wouldnt sync to sync with my phone to see if it was my husbands phone that was the problem then the next time we had a problem they sent us to a specialist department to see if we would get a replacement because what the one person told us to do might have voided the warranty since it showed we synced it to a different account even though we unsynced from my account within 5 minutes of trying what they told us to do. They keep having defective devices and we and many of our friends with fitbit are out hundreds of dollars. Not everyone has hundreds of dollars to keep replacing defective products. Fitbit really needs to figure out what is more important..money or their customers. I understand companies need money but if they would have better communication and admit when their products are defective and do something about it thwn they would have more loyal and happy customers.

September 8th, 2017 Flower Mound, TX

Crappy bands that wear off in just a few months. Today, the clasp fell apart, no display. Cheaply Made. Fitbit HR

May 30th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I just got a new fitbit and it's amazing. I love all of the different features that comes with it. My fitbit had never had any problems. It's really easy to use and fun to be active with!

May 29th, 2017 Mona, UT

I love the idea of a step counter, but have been disappointed in the inaccuracy of my fitbit. I often walk on a treadmill and when I do, the fitbit does not keep any where near an accurate count of my steps. I have tried different methods of moving my arm but the steps still don't register on a treadmill.

May 29th, 2017 Mona, UT

I've had a Fitbit for about 2 years now and I love how it keeps me active. The Fitbit app is really cool because it lets you compare your daily steps with your friends, which makes staying active into a friendly competition. The only downside for me is that the band makes my wrist itch when it gets sweaty.

April 14th, 2017 Berwyn, PA

This if for the Fitbit Alta. I've had it for about a year. It seems to work ok. There are lots of third-party bands that can coordinate nicely with my outfits. I sync using my phone, so I don't have to worry about the dongle. The phone sync is via Bluetooth. Before the Alta, I used the Flex, and I switched for sleek watch/tracker option, so that now I do not have to wear both a watch and tracker separately.

October 6th, 2015 Shingle Springs, CA

Mine has worked well for 9 months. Battery life is getting shorter however.

October 6th, 2015 Waukegan, IL

I have the "One" and wore it constantly for a year and a half. It stopped syncing with my computer AND my phone. Still tracked, just couldn't sync. Fitbit replaced it at NO CHARGE. They are the best.

October 6th, 2015 Winter Haven, FL

I like the trackers, but they have some serious issues with the wrist bands. I have the flex for over a year. Every few months the strap broke in the same location. I recently got a Charge HR. Less then 2 months and parts fell off. FitBit was amazing at getting me a replacement and FAST! I just do not think that a fitness tracker should fall apart so fast or easily. Functionally it is great. Customer service is great. They just need to make them to last.

October 5th, 2015 Waterbury, CT

I started with the ONE, moved on to the FORCE which was recalled, and they sent me a full refund. I moved on to the FLEX (which I still have) and then when the CHARGE HR was released I was elated because it had all the same, and more, options that the FORCE had. I wish that Apple would honor the FitBit app on their Apple Phone and I'd switch back to the ONE for the days I want wear the watch. Until then, loving my CHARGE HR!

October 5th, 2015 La Crosse, WI

I have the Flex and didn't use it for a year and finally put it on and have hardly any use on it. It quit working for no reason. company offered one for 25% off if I wanted to purchase another. But if I need to purchase a new one every year I am not interested.

October 5th, 2015 Dearborn, MI

My band keeps braking on 2 different Fitbits Love the product to keeps track of steps.

October 5th, 2015 Lexington, KY

I like my Charge a lot, however, after trying several pedometers, NONE of them are completely accurate! You have to be swinging your arm as you walk to get it to count. I have a daughter in a wheelchair and when I am pushing her, it rarely calculates. I've heard the same from friends with strollers. Makes it hard to have an accurate count.

October 4th, 2015 Allentown, PA

love it!

October 4th, 2015 Rockland, ME

I love my fitbit. I track my steps, diet, sleep and weight loss. The challenges keep me motivated. I have the fitbit charge and am happy with it. I'm glad I chose this model.

October 3rd, 2015 Hachita, NM

My daughter had left her Fitbit on the ladder to the pool and went for a swim. The whirlpool she and her siblings created sent the Fitbit to the ground where one of our dogs picked it up. They chewed up the band but not a scratch was found on the Fitbit itself. I called to find out where to get a new band and I was sent a completely new Fitbit! that was way above and beyond.

October 2nd, 2015 Berwick, PA

The best company ever to do business with! They stand behind their product 100% and deal with any issue promptly! I love my fitbit Charge and it keeps me motivated and on target with my fitness goals. Very satisfied!

October 2nd, 2015 Los Osos, CA

I have a FitBit Surge. This is the second FitBit I have owned. I love the device but recording daily food is weak. When you record food it should also recap daily amounts for vitamins and minerals.

October 2nd, 2015 West Bridgewater, MA

I am sorry to say i am not happy with the charge hr, beside that it is bulky. I was trying to track my exercise,the website was making it difficult for me to track the exercise. it was not reading when i am on a bicycle.syncing was difficult on the phone. tracking your step is good, that's the only thing i like.

September 30th, 2015 Missoula, MT

I have the Fitbit Charge. It is the third model I have owned. It does everything I need to be aware of my daily exercise. But the very best part about Fitbit is the customer service they provide. I lost my first Fitbit Force in the Denver airport. It was on my wrist one minute, and not the next. I wrote to Fitbit and they replaced it with a brand new Flex (the Force had been discontinued). After using my Flex for a couple of years, I decided to upgrade to a Charge. I like the extra information it provides and the ability to use it as a watch. My Charge worked well for about 6 months, but it started to show signs of wear. The band was separating from the device. Eventually the button fell off making it mostly useless. Again, I wrote to Fitbit. And again, my Charge was replaced with a brand new one. Now that is what I call company service!!! I am a brand loyal customer for life.

September 30th, 2015 Warner Robins, GA

I previously owned a Fitbit Flex and I now own the Fitbit Charge HR. I loved my flex (when I could get it to charge). Initially it charged correctly but within a month or so it began to be difficult to get to charge. I had to wrap rubber bands around it and do all sorts of things to get it to work. This lead me to purchasing the Charge HR when it came out. I actually wanted the Surge but I have such a small wrist that I couldn't pull off the small version no matter how much I tried. I ended up with the Charge HR (small) which is still a little late on my wrist but is bearable. The HR works like a dream. I find the heart rate monitor accurate within a few beats of taking my pulse manually. Step/distance tracking are also just as accurate. The auto sleep function works perfectly. It always know exactly when I lay down. It is so much easier than how you monitored your sleep with the Flex. The caller ID is a nice feature but one that I feel could have been left out. It only vibrates once to let you know you have an incoming call (so I end up missing the call because it also silences my ringer on Samsung S6). The alarm is one of my favorite things. I use it to wake by as well as several other alarms throughout the day for various reminders. The companion app/website is very useful. The challenges are nice but I think that the could be better. More variety and also include some solo challenges. Overall, I would highly recommend this activity tracker to anyone. It's accurate, looks nice, not overly large (despite my small wrist) and has a great app/website.

September 30th, 2015 Philadelphia, PA

Not happy at all with HR does not track sleep, not working on phone or computer and cant seem to get it fixed ready to throw it out Buddy W

September 29th, 2015 Sanford, NC

I've got the FitBit One. I do love it! It makes me stop taking shortcuts, park further away, make more trips back and forth to the car. I got it primarily out of curiosity. Not for the product but for my step count at work. I am on my feet all day long sometimes 14 hours (Own/operate a consignment store) so I was always wondering how many miles I clocked just by working on my feet all day. I average about 4 miles a day just working my shop. CONS: The face is totally scratched up and I agree about the band. It pops off far too easily. Other than than that? I LOVE IT!

September 29th, 2015 High Point, NC

I used the Flex for about a year before giving it to my Mom when I upgraded to the Surge. I loved the Flex, but I adore the Surge. I use it to track my bike rides and I use it in the pool for my aqua zumba and water aerobics classes. I know FitBit strongly discourages using their products in the water, even though they are water resistant. I used both the Flex and the Surge for my water workouts 3-5 times per week for over a year on the Flex and for the past 3 months with the Surge. I've had no issues.

September 29th, 2015 Moultrie, GA

Love my Charge Fitbit except that it keeps changing to military time and I can't make it stay EST. If they can fix this, I would have no compliants.

September 29th, 2015 Milford, CT

I love my fitbit charge! had it for almost a year and it keeps me motivated to get my steps in daily! i also love how it records my sleep so i know how i have slept and if i am getting enough sleep each night,

September 28th, 2015 Powhatan, VA

Bought 2 FB Charges in Febuary Had the FItbit Charge and the strap started coming apart from the main body of the Charge and allowed moisture to get inside (Around JUNE). I have since switched to another brand. My wifes did the same thing (Around August) and allowed moisture in it but she returned it and upgraded to the FB chargeHR and seems fine for now.

September 28th, 2015 Hillsboro, MO

I have the Fitbit Charge HR. It is a great tool in helping with being aware of my heart rate when working out which helps me stay in the correct target zone. Although I would love if it could track when I go biking. I still think it is a very helpful tool in using with helping with fitness and weight management. LOVE the call notification feature.

September 28th, 2015 Jenison, MI

I've had my fitbit almost a year and love it. Whenever I have a issue or questions it was resolved quickly and without drama. My bit had a battery issue and they sent me a new bit w/o a moments hesitation. Overall fantastic product and outstanding customer service.

September 28th, 2015 Harrison, AR

I liked my Flex aside from the issues stated above. I was very displeased with the fastener on the band, however. It did not stay secure and while my husband was wearing it , it came unfastened and he lost it. We finally found it but now it doesn't want to stay charged. I had trouble with it coming unfastened several times before that and just happened to catch it. would love to have the one with the better band but it is just too expensive. Probably won't buy another one because of the band and cost.

September 28th, 2015 Watertown, NY

I have had my Fitbit Charge HR for about 4 months now. I have lost a considerable amount of weight and don't do a work out with out it. The Charge HR is worth the money and it keeps it's charge for about 5 days. Wish my phone kept it's charge that long!

September 27th, 2015 Cheshire, OH

I bought a Flex about a month ago and had trouble getting the app to work. Finally got that worked out and last week it quit responding to anything. I emailed the company and was told to charge the battery. Had already done that but did it again. Still nothing. No lights ~ no anything. Emailed them again and days have passed with no response. Not very happy at this point. Have had other trackers that were much better and didn't cost as much.

September 27th, 2015 TX

My FITBIT hr makes my arm react to what ever. It's like a burn and very uncomfortable. I've stoped wearing it.

September 26th, 2015 Midlothian, VA

Like it except that is makes a terrible rash on my arm. I can't wear it as much as I would like to. They really need to give us another type of band. I wouldn't recommend it just because of this. I can't take it back after wearing and using it. Just stuck with it.

September 26th, 2015 San Antonio, TX

Third Fitbit. Love the product. Their customer service is top notch. First was a Force, with the recall. I didn't have any issues with the rash but went ahead and replaced mine with a Flex. I thought that Fitbit handled the recall very well. Used a Flex for quite a while, but missed the "floors climbed" that I had with the Force. My Flex stopped charging and syncing after about 6 months. Fitbit confirmed the issue [that was a little unnerving - too Big Brother-ish for my taste] and sent me a return authorization for a new Flex. When Charge was released, I waited for the HR version. Very happy. Actually showed sleep and HR data to my Dr in order to request a new sleep study.

September 26th, 2015 Springdale, AR

I love my Fitbit One. I had a Force and was allergic and they were prompt and helpful with getting me a replacement. I started with a Zip years ago and haven't been without my Fitbit since! It is almost like that feeling of going out without your cellphone - wrong! I love earning points at Walgreens too!

September 26th, 2015 Abilene, KS

I found the charger and a dongles to be a bit of a pain to keep track of. I prefer the UP by Jawbone. It is more comfortable, had more features, and it is more motivating. I also find it to be a little more accurate in my steps than the FitBit. FitBit is not a bad product I just happen to like the UP better