Fitbit

Fitbit has been producing fitness trackers since 2007.  Fitbit has won several awards for its devices and was voted one of the Best Places to Work in the Bay Area by the San Francisco Business Journal in 2013.  Fitbit's mission is "to empower and inspire you to live a healthier, more active life.  They design products and experiences that fit seamlessly into your life so you can achieve your health and fitness goals, whatever they may be".

The Good

• Customizable dashboard
  • Integrates with other apps
  • Many tracking options

A major advantage of Fitbit is its tracking software. The dashboard can be customized to quickly check the details you're most interested in, and the app integrates seamlessly with several other apps, including Lose It!, MyFitnessPal and MapMyRun. The app not only offers daily tracking and totals, but also calculates your individual average and how you progress over time. There is also a Premium version of the app for the serious athlete, which features in-depth analyses of food, sleep and activity that can be exported to be shared with coaches, trainers or doctors. The Premium version will also recommend personalized fitness plans based on your results.  And, of course, the app can be accessed from Apple, Android and Windows mobile devices, as well as Macs and PCs.

Fitbit offers a wide variety of fitness tracking options, providing trackers for a variety of lifestyles.  Whether you want to just track basic steps and sleep or more detailed workouts, Fitbit has a tracker for you.  Ranging from $59.95 to $249.95, Fitbit provides quality products for a pretty reasonable price.

The Bad

• Proprietary charging cords
  • Need the wireless dongle
  • Large recall

The downside of Fitbit products is the requirement to use proprietary charging cords; if you misplace yours, you won't be able to charge your Flex or One until you've bought a new cord (the Zip's 3V coin battery lasts 6 months). Additionally, if you're syncing with your computer, you'll need to use Fitbit's wireless dongle. The dongle will plug into any USB port, but it's tiny and very easy to misplace. Replacement charging cords or wireless dongles are only $19.95 each, however, the costs could add up if you tend to lose things.

We would be remiss to not mention the massive recall of the Force tracker that Fitbit issued in February 2014. After some Force users complained of skin irritation - specifically, allergic contact dermatitis to the nickel content in the core piece - Fitbit issued a voluntary recall on all Forces and offered consumers full refunds.  Although the skin allergy affected only about 1.7% of Force owners, those that developed it experienced redness, rashes and blistering where their skin had been exposed to the tracker.  No skin complications have been reported with Fitbit's other devices and the Fitbit Force is no longer sold by Fitbit.

The Bottom Line

Fitbit's trackers are popular for a reason: they're comfortable, efficient, easy to use and come with the support of an outstanding app. Fitbit trackers are also compatible with almost any phone, tablet or computer. This is a huge benefit in comparison to many of the tracker companies on the market, whose devices are limited in terms of compatibility - if you opt for the Sony SWR10 or the Samsung Gear Fit, for example, you may find yourself needing a new brand of tracker each time you upgrade to another cell phone.

412 Fitbit Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

May 30th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I just got a new fitbit and it's amazing. I love all of the different features that comes with it. My fitbit had never had any problems. It's really easy to use and fun to be active with!

May 29th, 2017 Mona, UT

I love the idea of a step counter, but have been disappointed in the inaccuracy of my fitbit. I often walk on a treadmill and when I do, the fitbit does not keep any where near an accurate count of my steps. I have tried different methods of moving my arm but the steps still don't register on a treadmill.

May 29th, 2017 Mona, UT

I've had a Fitbit for about 2 years now and I love how it keeps me active. The Fitbit app is really cool because it lets you compare your daily steps with your friends, which makes staying active into a friendly competition. The only downside for me is that the band makes my wrist itch when it gets sweaty.

April 14th, 2017 Berwyn, PA

This if for the Fitbit Alta. I've had it for about a year. It seems to work ok. There are lots of third-party bands that can coordinate nicely with my outfits. I sync using my phone, so I don't have to worry about the dongle. The phone sync is via Bluetooth. Before the Alta, I used the Flex, and I switched for sleek watch/tracker option, so that now I do not have to wear both a watch and tracker separately.

October 6th, 2015 Shingle Springs, CA

Mine has worked well for 9 months. Battery life is getting shorter however.

October 6th, 2015 Waukegan, IL

I have the "One" and wore it constantly for a year and a half. It stopped syncing with my computer AND my phone. Still tracked, just couldn't sync. Fitbit replaced it at NO CHARGE. They are the best.

October 6th, 2015 Winter Haven, FL

I like the trackers, but they have some serious issues with the wrist bands. I have the flex for over a year. Every few months the strap broke in the same location. I recently got a Charge HR. Less then 2 months and parts fell off. FitBit was amazing at getting me a replacement and FAST! I just do not think that a fitness tracker should fall apart so fast or easily. Functionally it is great. Customer service is great. They just need to make them to last.

October 5th, 2015 Waterbury, CT

I started with the ONE, moved on to the FORCE which was recalled, and they sent me a full refund. I moved on to the FLEX (which I still have) and then when the CHARGE HR was released I was elated because it had all the same, and more, options that the FORCE had. I wish that Apple would honor the FitBit app on their Apple Phone and I'd switch back to the ONE for the days I want wear the watch. Until then, loving my CHARGE HR!

October 5th, 2015 La Crosse, WI

I have the Flex and didn't use it for a year and finally put it on and have hardly any use on it. It quit working for no reason. company offered one for 25% off if I wanted to purchase another. But if I need to purchase a new one every year I am not interested.

October 5th, 2015 Dearborn, MI

My band keeps braking on 2 different Fitbits Love the product to keeps track of steps.

October 5th, 2015 Lexington, KY

I like my Charge a lot, however, after trying several pedometers, NONE of them are completely accurate! You have to be swinging your arm as you walk to get it to count. I have a daughter in a wheelchair and when I am pushing her, it rarely calculates. I've heard the same from friends with strollers. Makes it hard to have an accurate count.

October 4th, 2015 Allentown, PA

love it!

October 4th, 2015 Rockland, ME

I love my fitbit. I track my steps, diet, sleep and weight loss. The challenges keep me motivated. I have the fitbit charge and am happy with it. I'm glad I chose this model.

October 3rd, 2015 Hachita, NM

My daughter had left her Fitbit on the ladder to the pool and went for a swim. The whirlpool she and her siblings created sent the Fitbit to the ground where one of our dogs picked it up. They chewed up the band but not a scratch was found on the Fitbit itself. I called to find out where to get a new band and I was sent a completely new Fitbit! that was way above and beyond.

October 2nd, 2015 Berwick, PA

The best company ever to do business with! They stand behind their product 100% and deal with any issue promptly! I love my fitbit Charge and it keeps me motivated and on target with my fitness goals. Very satisfied!

October 2nd, 2015 Los Osos, CA

I have a FitBit Surge. This is the second FitBit I have owned. I love the device but recording daily food is weak. When you record food it should also recap daily amounts for vitamins and minerals.

October 2nd, 2015 West Bridgewater, MA

I am sorry to say i am not happy with the charge hr, beside that it is bulky. I was trying to track my exercise,the website was making it difficult for me to track the exercise. it was not reading when i am on a bicycle.syncing was difficult on the phone. tracking your step is good, that's the only thing i like.

September 30th, 2015 Missoula, MT

I have the Fitbit Charge. It is the third model I have owned. It does everything I need to be aware of my daily exercise. But the very best part about Fitbit is the customer service they provide. I lost my first Fitbit Force in the Denver airport. It was on my wrist one minute, and not the next. I wrote to Fitbit and they replaced it with a brand new Flex (the Force had been discontinued). After using my Flex for a couple of years, I decided to upgrade to a Charge. I like the extra information it provides and the ability to use it as a watch. My Charge worked well for about 6 months, but it started to show signs of wear. The band was separating from the device. Eventually the button fell off making it mostly useless. Again, I wrote to Fitbit. And again, my Charge was replaced with a brand new one. Now that is what I call company service!!! I am a brand loyal customer for life.

September 30th, 2015 Warner Robins, GA

I previously owned a Fitbit Flex and I now own the Fitbit Charge HR. I loved my flex (when I could get it to charge). Initially it charged correctly but within a month or so it began to be difficult to get to charge. I had to wrap rubber bands around it and do all sorts of things to get it to work. This lead me to purchasing the Charge HR when it came out. I actually wanted the Surge but I have such a small wrist that I couldn't pull off the small version no matter how much I tried. I ended up with the Charge HR (small) which is still a little late on my wrist but is bearable. The HR works like a dream. I find the heart rate monitor accurate within a few beats of taking my pulse manually. Step/distance tracking are also just as accurate. The auto sleep function works perfectly. It always know exactly when I lay down. It is so much easier than how you monitored your sleep with the Flex. The caller ID is a nice feature but one that I feel could have been left out. It only vibrates once to let you know you have an incoming call (so I end up missing the call because it also silences my ringer on Samsung S6). The alarm is one of my favorite things. I use it to wake by as well as several other alarms throughout the day for various reminders. The companion app/website is very useful. The challenges are nice but I think that the could be better. More variety and also include some solo challenges. Overall, I would highly recommend this activity tracker to anyone. It's accurate, looks nice, not overly large (despite my small wrist) and has a great app/website.

September 30th, 2015 Philadelphia, PA

Not happy at all with HR does not track sleep, not working on phone or computer and cant seem to get it fixed ready to throw it out Buddy W